1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Crooks, Cons & Connivers In The Automotive Industry

Discussion in 'Auto, Tractor, Motorcycles, Racing, and Mechanics' started by searcher, Feb 10, 2017.

1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Oil change scams: Hidden camera investigation on what really happens to your car (CBC Marketplace)
    CBC News

Published on Sep 10, 2014
    CBC Marketplace finds aggressive upselling and services paid for but not performed To read the full story:
    http://www.cbc.ca/1.2418675. Originally broadcast Nov 8, 2013.

When you trust someone else to take care of your car, can you trust that they're not taking you for a ride? Our undercover investigation reveals ripoffs at a popular oil change chain. We're going in for the advertised $19.99 oil change, but you won't believe the charges we end up with. And did they even do the work? We go up on the hoist to show you what’s really going down at these oil change shops.

glockngold likes this.
  2. searcher

Tow truck tricks: Don't get scammed after an accident (CBC Marketplace)
    CBC News

Published on Dec 4, 2015
    Marketplace investigates tow trucks that can take you for a ride after an accident. For more: http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episode...

3. searcher

Auto Mechanics That Will RIP YOU OFF - Stick With A Trusted Mechanic!
    Astral Auto Repairs

Published on Mar 7, 2017
    Video that shows you that not all mechanics are trustworthy. You should find a mechanic that you trust, and stick with them, or else this can, and will happen to you!

4. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

I am the only person who ever works on my vehicles.

5. searcher

I used to be the only one who worked on mine. Since I retired I take them to a shop with a very good rep. Kinda done with that chapter of my journey.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    ttazzman likes this.
  6. searcher

Down under................

Add-on Insurance Scams | Auto Expert John Cadogan | Australia
    AutoExpertTV

Published on Mar 8, 2017

7. searcher

Can You Trust Jiffy Lube Or Will They RIP YOU OFF??
    Astral Auto Repairs

Published on Mar 9, 2017
    Video of an undercover sting targeting various Jiffy Lube stores in the California area. Please take note to the scams and techniques they use to get your money. Find you a trustworthy mechanic and STICK WITH THEM!

8. searcher

Ripoff Car Dealerships! WATCH THIS Before You Buy A Car, BUYER BEWARE!!
    Astral Auto Repairs

Published on Mar 10, 2017
    Before you buy a used car from some of these dealers, be sure to have a trusted mechanic check it out so you don't have any problems like this lady did. In the state of North Carolina, there is NO WARRANTY on used cars, unless you purchase the extended warranty.

9. dacrunch

dacrunch Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

I have a BIG BEEF with the SMALL diesel motors available in Europe NOT being available in the US - on the SAME MODEL VEHICLES !!!

That goes for FORD - with a 2.2 liter diesel on Ford Transit vans, and for FIAT DUCATO aka DODGE PROMASTER-RAM VAN with a 2.3 liter diesel.

They both get well over 30 mpg, with over 130 hp... and top speeds of over 90mph.

Now WHY are WE not "allowed" to have that PURCHASE CHOICE?

- EPA?
    - Oil Lobby?
    - Car manufacturers thinking there wouldn't be a "market"?

IMO, it's a SCANDAL.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Irons, andial and searcher like this.
  10. dacrunch

Closest I can find in my "wish list" in the US

ProMaster.jpg
    Not the 2.3 liter, but a 3 liter - lots of torque... Wonder if the 6-gear manual tranny is offered.

Get a window van... ( Dodge online "build your own" comes to under $35k - but "find a dealer" entering zip code can't find any available, entering multiple zip codes, - don't make it easy! ) ... then ship it to France to get it turned into an RV... then ship it back to States? In France, they have central heating systems that run off the fuel tank... and gas stoves that run off propane tank(s), along with fridges that run off both propane & extra battery or two (and solar panels on roof)... Sliding window shades, mosquito screens, opening skylight, awning (not for me), full bathroom with sink/shower. Rotating front seats to dinette facing rear passenger seats. (Seats 4, sleeps 3) Plenty of cabinetry.

Europe is 220 volts, 50 hertz... that might be a problem to check out.

I shipped a Ram 1500 conversion Van from Miami to Belgium a few years ago for about 2 grand, but it wasn't as tall and fit in a container... full to the roof with all my junk... furniture, tools, clothing, queen bed, futon. That works in a container. Otherwise, non-container the vehicle has to be "empty" (of personal items) - in "roll-on, roll-off" transport.

I might start checking the prices (transport & conversion).

Because the equivalent "Winnebago" etc. start at over $90k...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    searcher likes this.
  11. searcher

Are You A Victim Of The Dealership Yo-Yo? BUYER BEWARE Of Dealership SCAMS!
    Astral Auto Repairs

Published on Mar 11, 2017
    Video explaining what dealerships do to scam more money out of you. It's called the dealership yo-yo, and thousands of people have already fallen victim to this, don't be next, BUYER BEWARE!

12. dacrunch

Last sentence "the salesman, BILLY HIGHTIRE, no longer works for them"... appropriate name, haha

searcher likes this.
  13. searcher

Can Your Own Car KILL YOU? What You Don't Know About TAKATA
    Astral Auto Repairs

Published on Mar 11, 2017
    Used car dealers will not tell you whether a car has the takata airbag in it or not, that is up to you, but at what cost are you willing to pay to find out? Watch this video and arm yourself!!

14. searcher

Customer's Car For A Joyride? Dealership And Repair Shop Scams!
    Astral Auto Repairs

Published on Mar 12, 2017
    What really happens when you drop your car off to be repaired? Are the people who are suppose to take car of your car using it for their own personal use?

15. searcher

Buying A Car Off CRAIGSLIST? Is That REALLY The Owner??
    Astral Auto Repairs

Published on Mar 12, 2017
    Be very careful when buying a used car off craigslist. Many ads will say it's the owner or private party selling the vehicle, when all the time it's a USED CAR DEALER!

16. searcher

Can You Trust A MOBILE MECHANIC?
    Astral Auto Repairs

Published on Mar 13, 2017
    There are things you can do to know if you can trust a mobile mechanic. A mobile mechanic is a person or company that comes to you, whether it's your home or place of business.

17. dacrunch

Finding a good/honest mechanic is a nightmare for most people (including me).

A few rules of thumb.

- Avoid shops "on the main drag" - since they don't have to depend on "repeat customers", and can "con" as they wish, even inventing "parts that need changing" even though they don't.

So, look for smaller shops where you have to take quite a few turns through neighborhoods to find them.

- Also, "ask around", the more the better. Perhaps companies with fleet vehicles who don't do their own maintenance (haven't tried that). Or people who specialize in buying vehicles at auctions (haven't tried that either).

I got lucky - I bought some tires online, and they had a list of nearby garages where they could ship them to be mounted. It turned out the place I chose also did general repairs on all brands. Over time, I've developed a trustworthy relationship. My car's 20 years old, parts are hard to find - so I buy them online and the mechanic installs them. Cash transactions, no receipts. Last week, he charged me $50 labor to replace a fwd drive-shaft. I call that "honest". (The OEM part cost $250, but online I found an after-market for $100, so total $150 installed... At a "roadside garage" or "dealer", the bill would probably have been $500 instead of $150...)

glockngold and searcher like this.
  18. searcher

Finding a good mechanic:

Word of mouth advertising is golden.

Avoid stores. They usually pay low hourly wages and a commission. This gives the mechanic an incentive to sell peeps shit they don't need.

Avoid flat rate shops. Speed can lead to problems being misdiagnosed and sloppy work.

Go on line and look for reviews on shops you may be considering.

Clean shops and uniforms usually indicate pride and professionalism.

19. dacrunch

The place I go is a MESS !!! haha - engines & drive trains & tires piled all around - grungy overalls - have to search all over for the correct wrench/socket...
    ... meaning they don't have a lot of "overhead" with duplicates of equipment, and extra cleaning staff...
    Only the "boss - head mechanic", 2-3 "helpers - apprentices"... And sometimes the "diagnostics" are "best guesses", but so far were accurate.
    Always 3-4 (complete) vehicles inside at various stages of repair, and a few sitting outside. And with or without appointment, a line in front... I usually arrive at 8am, knowing they open at 8.30 or 9... But that doesn't always mean I'll be "first served". They'll fix a pull-in with a flat tire (and no spare) first, for instance.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    searcher likes this.
  20. searcher

They NEVER Changed My Oil, But Charged Me, QUICK LUBE SCAMS!
    Astral Auto Repairs

Published on Mar 14, 2017
    The perfect quick lube scam where you bring your car in for a simple oil change, but come to find out that they never changed your oil, but they actually charged you for it!

21. searcher

YOU WRECKED MY CAR! - Automotive Complaints DISAPPEAR From State Website
    Astral Auto Repairs

Published on Mar 15, 2017
    If a repair shop damages your car and NEVER tells you about it, in fact, they try to cover it up, and you file a complaint with a bureau that holds ALL complaints for all auto repair shops for the public to view, what happens when your complaint, and thousands others, just DISAPPEAR?

22. searcher

Never trust the last mechanic! How to avoid getting burned!
    Shane Conley

Published on Mar 17, 2017
    Blog 05: by Shane Conley

Video Lesson: Why to test fits parts, use the service manual and never trust the last tech!
    Video Series: Every Mechanic Should Know This https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...

In today’s lesson, I found a fantastic example to model these three practices:
    1. Good disassembly practices
    2. How test fitting mating parts is beneficial
    3. Record but never “trust” the last mechanic
    Over and over I’ve heard students in training, technicians and DIY customers say this often-costly statement, “that’s the way I took it off”. Oh, the insanity of it all. As a seasoned mechanic, you will learn to NEVER trust the last mechanic upfront!
    I can’t stress enough to take pictures, notes and record any details that will assist in assembly. This missed skillset creates such “expense” on assembly for many entry-level or DIY mechanics.

Q: Why? A: You must use this “recording” as data for the assembly process. Just data. You must remember not all data is good. Let me provide an example.
    Let’s say you have a picture of how you removed a gear and it’s directional by having two different sides (watch the video for this very example). By simply reinstalling as removed, you may potentially use bad data and could install backwards. Here’s an analogy all you parents will relate to. Your child comes out with their shirt on backwards and claims that how they took it off. It doesn’t matter right? It’s still on backwards. What data did they use to put their shirt on backwards? Limited knowledge that it mattered, right? It was still covering them up, they still got dressed, they were in the big kids club right?
    See the similarity with many entry level techs? They just don’t know better yet. It’s the same comparison to the shirt. Did the tech take the gear off “inside out” or “one sleeve at a time”?
    In summary, I find the best practice to record all data with pictures and notes on disassembly. I review the “factual” data as compared to the “correct” data found in the service manual. Then assemble correctly taking special concern if a part was in-deed installed backwards. A required additional step not found in the service manual but is found in the “every mechanic should know this”, is to inspect for problems this may have caused. Let’s not put our shirts on backwards kids.

Feel free to share and use as desired. Read the entire blog here:
    https://how2wrench.com/blog-05-never-...

Head over to the new website and subscribe to the newsletter to never miss a video or newsletter!
    https://how2wrench.com/contact/ Like freebies? Click here for a free diagnostic checklist!
    http://gem.godaddy.com/signups/364621...

If I can ever be of service to you, here is a video explains how to connect with me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjvmB...

Keep Wrenching,
    Shane Conley
    Instructor/Motivator/Motorcyclist
    https://www.how2wrench.com/

23. searcher

Used Car Scam (The Today Show)
    conclips

Uploaded on May 4, 2009
    Today Investigates the Nation's biggest used car scam.

Buying a used car? Don't just take the seller's word about the car's history.

You can use a car's vehicle identification number (VIN) to get information including whether the car is stolen or has been in a major accident or a flood.

Since Jan. 30, consumers have been able to research cars through the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS), a program of the U.S. Department of Justice. The online database includes information for about 73% of the country's auto population, gleaned from state agencies, junk- and salvage-yard organizations, and insurance companies.

Currently information from 38 states is available, and all states are required to fully participate by Jan. 1, 2010.

Visit nmvtis.gov, click on one of the listed providers and follow the prompts. Expect to pay between $2 and $4 for a report, because the authorizing law required that federal funds not be used for this database.

Used-car reports from commercial companies, like Carfax and Experian's AutoCheck, have a higher price tag but draw information from a wider variety of sources.

A single report from AutoCheck costs $14.99 (unlimited access for 60 days costs $24.99) and includes information from all states as well as from some sources not found in the NMVTIS database.

When buying a used car, you need to verify the VIN so you are not a victim of this scam:

Here's How to Find Your Car's VIN

Locate your car's unique DNA - its unique vehicle identification number. VINs are normally located in several locations on a car, but the most common places are:

- On the door frame/door post of the front doors (usually driver's but sometimes passenger's)
    - On the dash near the windshield
    - On the engine itself (machined pad on front of engine)
    - On the car's firewall
    - In the left-hand inner wheel arch
    - On the steering wheel/steering column
    - On the radiator support bracket

There is a chart that gives further information (by car line) on both the location of the VIN plate and which character in your VIN represents your year of production and specific engine on a used car website, but they have limited the listings to only import cars since those are the car lines in which they specialize. http://www.autohausaz.com/html/vehicl...

Alternatively, you can call the consumer relations department for the vehicle manufacturer or visit a local new car dealer and ask for the location of the VIN
    It is often etched into multiple locations on any vehicle.

24. searcher

Do I REALLY Need That? THE AMAZON SELLERS ON YOUTUBE SCAM! PART 1
    Astral Auto Repairs

Published on Mar 29, 2017
    There is a growing trend where amazon sellers are forcing you to buy their products using YouTube videos. Did you know they get a percentage of each sell? Stop being scammed and start being smart

25. searcher

BUYER BEWARE! The Amazon Sellers On YouTube Scam, PART 2!!
    Astral Auto Repairs

Published on Mar 31, 2017
    There is a growing trend where amazon sellers are forcing you to buy their products, products you can do without, using YouTube videos. Did you know they get a percentage of each sell? In this video we give a funny example of how they work.

26. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I used to have a friend from NYC that was a mechanic in South Florida. He was legitimate half the time. The other half he was trying to rip people or his boss off. He would create fake invoices or skim cash. He would also bill for unnecessary repairs. He even screwed his friends over and that's why we are no longer in contact.

27. searcher

Jiffy Lube Scam Caught on Tape!
    N.ESS

Uploaded on Aug 27, 2006
    Jiffy Lube caught by a news investigation team charging people for work and not doing it.

Huge thanks to Joel Grover for exposing this fraud. More of his investigations can be found at their site:
    http://www.nbclosangeles.com/

***UPDATE***
    Three years later and Jiffy Lube is still scamming customers. Watch:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf6KY6...

28. searcher

Mechanics That Rip You Off, Find An Honest Mechanic like Astral!
    Astral Auto Repairs

Published on May 16, 2017
    Short but very true video about how some shops rip you off by taking too long to diagnose and fix your car. These ripoffs can include high priced parts and high priced labor.

29. searcher

Upselling Maintenance and Repairs as a Flat Rate Tech!
    Flatrate Master

Published on May 22, 2017
    Today I talk about Upselling Needed Maintenance and Repairs to help maintain your customers cars and help make you Money!

30. searcher

How To Check Over A Car Or Truck BEFORE You Buy It!
    Astral Auto Repairs

Published on May 24, 2017
    Video describing the things you need to check over on a car or truck you are thinking of buying if you don't have a mechanic to go with you.

31. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Product of too much government regulation. EPA regs that go to ridiculous levels on emissions controls to prevent smog over fuel efficiency. Same reason all the diesels here now require the filters AND BS DEF system.

And after the alleged VW "scandal" I'm sure it'll be a cold, cold day in hell before ANY manufacturer even considers anymore light, efficient diesels here. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the ones currently offered are killed off.

searcher likes this.
  32. dacrunch

Latest studies of "real usage" (in Europe) gave OPEL (Chevrolet) diesels the "best grade" for emissions. Might want to investigate...

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  33. Usury

Government Motors scores high, eh? Surprise, surprise...

searcher likes this.
  34. searcher

Daimler AG under investigation for emissions fraud

May 24, 2017 Fleet Owner Staff | Fleet Owner

Related Media

German officials from the Stuttgart public prosecutor’s office searched the premises of Daimler AG at several locations in Germany on Tuesday as part of an investigation into the possible manipulation of exhaust-gas after treatment in passenger cars with diesel engines.

According to a New York Times report, several federal and state authorities in Europe and the United States were investigating the emissions control systems used in Mercedes-Benz vehicles. The report notes that German prosecutors raided 11 of the company’s locations, “searching for digital and analogue documents that could serve as evidence in their investigation of allegations of fraud and illegal advertising in connection with the company’s diesel cars.”

In a press release issued on May 23, the automaker said it is “fully cooperating with the authorities.”

According to the release, Daimler AG said it has already provided information on governmental information requests, inquiries and investigations in annual reports and interim reports; in Interim Report Q1 2017, this also included the possibility of searches of Daimler premises.

“Beyond the information contained in this press release, we cannot comment any further on the ongoing preliminary investigations,” the automaker said.

As stated in its first-quarter report, Daimler is facing other investigations. The Department of Justice in the United States had requested that the company conduct an internal inquiry, the carmaker said. The company also said that the Environmental Protection Agency in Washington, the California Air Resources Board and the Securities and Exchange Commission had requested information.

http://fleetowner.com/equipment/dai...m=email&elq2=0479c38894a24be0a025f4cd66d8e306

35. searcher

Lawsuit alleges GM cheated on diesel emissions tests
    May 26, 2017 Fleet Owner Staff | Fleet Owner

[​IMG]
    A lawsuit alleges that GM pickup trucks with Duramax diesel engines (shown above in production) include three devices that are rigged to allow more pollution on the road than during treadmill tests in the Environmental Protection Agency laboratory.

Related Media
    [​IMG]
    Daimler AG under investigation for emissions fraud

A lawsuit filed in a U.S. District Court in Detroit alleges that automaker General Motors cheated on government diesel emissions tests.

According to reports, the lawsuit claims that GM pickup trucks with Duramax diesel engines include three devices that are rigged to allow more pollution on the road than during treadmill tests in the Environmental Protection Agency laboratory. The complaint on behalf of two truck owners against GM alleges that the devices were installed on diesel engines in the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra heavy-duty pickups, according to a Fox News report.

"These claims are baseless and we will vigorously defend ourselves,” GM said in a statement. “The Duramax Diesel Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra comply with all U.S. EPA and CARB emissions regulations."

Diesel engines have been under scrutiny since Volkswagen made national headlines for a diesel emissions cheating scandal that has resulted in a nearly $15-billion settlement with the U.S. government.

The settlement has been shaped to offset the smog-forming NOx emissions from the 2L diesel vehicles sold by VW during the 2009 to 2015 timeframe. Emissions from the cars were found to be as much as 40 times above legal limits, contributing to unhealthful air.

And earlier this week, German officials from the Stuttgart public prosecutor’s office searched the premises of Daimler AG at several locations in Germany as part of an investigation into the possible manipulation of exhaust-gas after treatment in passenger cars with diesel engines.

According to reports, several federal and state authorities in Europe and the United States were investigating the emissions control systems used in Mercedes-Benz vehicles. In a press release issued on May 23, the automaker said it is “fully cooperating with the authorities.”

http://fleetowner.com/hd-pickup-van...m=email&elq2=e357fc2a697147f1a118736d318cd931

36. dacrunch

well, nOx is toxic (and "soot particles" as well)... so not a "witch-hunt" like with CO2...

37. Usury

Bullshit. Don't defend these baseless claims. The claims against all these manufacturers are BULLSHIT. They designed the vehicle to pass the EPA tests under a specific set of operating conditions AS LAID OUT IN THE REGS. The vehicles don't magically start spewing shit into the air when not in a lab hooked to a monitor. Instead the emissions vary depending on driving conditions, manner in which used and environmental conditions (i.e. Temperature). VW never should have rolled over and settled. Now diesel is dead because it's not possible to meet the latest BS EPA standards 100% of the time.

The problem there are the standards as they are intentionally set to unachievable levels by idiots with no common sense. The first round of standards to reduce by 70-90%, ok. But the current that have to reduce like 98%? Bullshit. They only add many thousands to production costs, create many more failure points and maintenance costs, and most importantly, DRASTICALLY reduce edficiency, thereby probably halving the mpg and resulting in more emissions from twice as much fuel usage. The whole thing pisses me off to no end as it's a prime example of government interference having absolutely zero positive impact and loads of negative.

And of course in typical authoritarian state style, the blame is laid at the feet of the "evil businessmen".

38. searcher

Take this fwiw.............

Should You Buy A Car At CarMax?
    HumbleMechanic

Published on Jun 4, 2017
    Is buying a car at Carmax a good idea? Will you pay more for a car at Carmax than a dealer? Here is some of my advice for buying a car at Carmax. I worked at Carmax many years ago, back when they were owned by Circuit City.

39. searcher

Petrol Station Scam - Do fuel bowsers under deliver? | Auto Expert John Cadogan | Australia
    AutoExpertTV

Published on Jun 10, 2017
    It’s one hundred and 12 years since Sylvanus Bowser launched the Self-measuring Gasoline Storage Pump that still carries his name - and almost 80 years after his death … people still think he’s ripping us off.
    This episode is inspired by a dude named Doug - and the thousands like-minded conspiracy theorists across the nine realms who reach out to me frequently with this type of well intentioned but fundamentally misguided enquiry:
    “I have become increasingly suspicious that motorists are systematically ripped off by fuel sellers having deliberately inaccurate fuel bowsers. i.e The bowser measures say 70 litres, yet has only actually delivered 67 or 68 litres, a sort of hidden tax. On a few occasions I have nearly run out of fuel, and when I have filled it at the bowser, the amount of fuel taken seems to exceed the vehicle’s specified fuel capacity. Given that there needs to be at least a few litres in the bottom of the tank to cover the fuel pump, this would compensate for any overfilling to the cap offset that may be argued. I have also had this experience in filling small 5 litre tins at the servo for mowers, where 5.5 to 6 litres is often measured and spillage is not completely to blame. In your experience and knowledge of the industry, is there any merit in my concerns about a systematic (rather than occasional out of adjustment bowser).”
    I get this question a lot - for years now - and Doug is one of the more rational enquirers of his ilk. Some are deadset authentic wackos. However, let us invoke my jihad on bullshit, and answer this definitively.
    Fuel tanks always hold more than the manufacturer says. The specification is not the total internal volume, but the functional capacity - the maximum amount of fuel you should hope to utilize.
    The fuel tank in your car is a large incipient Molotov cocktail just inches away from your balls, in most cases, so there’s a cheery thought. It includes a rather significant space for vapour and the capacity for something like five per cent expansion without spillage. It’s designed this way for a reason.
    It’s also designed to cope with internal pressure rises and partial vacuums as well. And there’s a small amount of fuel under the pump that can never be accessed. Plus the volume of the fuel filler neck itself and the carbon canister for vapour recovery. And there’s manufacturing variation - which might account for two or three per cent more variation.
    So the reality is: Your fuel tank’s capacity might be specified as 50 litres - or something - but if you stand there and drip feed fuel into it after the first click, and rock the car back and forth while you do this, you’ll probably get more like 60 litres into it before it overflows.

40. searcher

Top 3 Test Driving Mistakes New Car Buyers Make | Auto Expert John Cadogan | Australia
    AutoExpertTV

Published on Jun 11, 2017
    So: You’re test driving a new car. Don’t make these classic mistakes.
    Welcome to another episode of What the FAQ - the segment where I oxygenate your most common questions.
    This episode is inspired by the dissertations - the boxed sets, with director’s commentaries - I get, twice, sometimes thrice, each week, in which someone, perhaps you, sends me a highly detailed brain fart dressed up as a road test report. Their road test report. Detailed driving impressions.
    And I mean ‘detailed’. 3000 words, and no punctuation. The education system leaves too many people behind… And often they’re painted on a sweeping Technicolor backdrop of ‘Yaris versus LandCruiser - please help me decide.’ So that’s interesting.
    There’s really three mistakes for the test-drive obsessed new car buyer. Let us exorcise them and cast these demons back into the pit of hell.
    People overstate the importance of test-driving impressions. Grossly. Look, if you’re a complete car nut (something I can certainly relate to) then driving impressions are important to you. I get that.
    But if you are a mainstream car buyer, it’s the 21st Century. If you take the most popular segments - the small cars, the medium SUVs, the 4X4 utes … they all drive very similar (within the segment - obviously utes don’t feel the same as small cars - but all the top utes feel very similar, and so do all of the best small cars).
    You can call bullshit on this if you want - and I can already hear car enthusiast nuts doing this all over town - but all carmakers benchmark every new car against the leading competitors.
    The entire aim is to get close, or a little bit ahead on each key criteria. The present these analyses at press conferences during the launch. This is why, dollar for dollar, cars in the same category are increasingly trending towards becoming clones of one another.
    And yeah, there are driving differences, but they’re generally not critical differences in the context of ordinary owners and what they should buy. Certainly the differences in the driving experience of common leading competitors is not as important to the purchasing decision, overall, as other factors.
    I’m talking here about factors like the equipment levels, the value, the safety credentials, and the parent company’s ethical compass - should you find yourself in the unfortunate position of having a real problem and needing considerable support.
    In this situation it makes a helluva difference if you’re dealing with a Subaru, Mazda, Hyundai, Kia or BMW (all pretty good) as opposed to a Jeep, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz, Holden or Ford (all pretty reprehensible).
    People blow the importance of the drive experience completely out of the water - and typically this is a male Achilles heel. The reality is: Among the leaders in every mainstream segment, there’s just not enough difference in the drive experience to swing the decision one way or the other. You have to put the drive in perspective, or you’ll end up buying the wrong car.