1. TGIF for sure, as the metals markets absorbed the early attack and came back strong by end of day. Going into the weekend having very nice gains on the week. Even with the Dollar moving to the up yesterday. Metals showing real nice strength the last few weeks now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Need more resources for the Industry Links. Have some guns/ammo, preps, pm dealers, and charts, but need more to make it a go to resource and replace bookmarks. Please send me a conversation with your ideas for others we should add. TIA. Together we will make it a great resource.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 2/6/16 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1157.7 Up 41.30-- Silver $14.80 Up 56 ct-- Oil $30.89 DOWN 2.73-- USD $97.05 DOWN 2.60-- Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE $1232.39 (1), SAE $18.46 (20)
  4. Please use the following for log on: www.goldismoney2.com We have moved to a new server. Please reset bookmark accordingly
  5. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

Cryptolocker malware demands $300 to decrypt your files

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ishkabibble, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Ishkabibble

Ishkabibble Gold Member Gold Chaser

If you don't have backups, what are you waiting for?

Disk encrypting Cryptolocker malware demands $300 to decrypt your files

crypto-locker-590x330.jpg

Earlier this year, a nasty new type of ransomware burst onto the scene. Unlike others, however, this new one’s bite was every bit as bad as its bark. The Cryptolocker hijacker sniffs out your personal files and wraps them in strong encryption before it demands money.

You may remember reading about it here on Geek.com back in January. Eight months on, it looks as though Cryptolocker isn’t showing any signs of letting up. In fact, there’s even a new variant making the rounds.
    The original demanded payments of $100 to decrypt files. The new and improved version? $300. Clearly those in control of Cryptolocker realized that they weren’t taking full advantage of its criminal potential.

As IT administrators and repair pros struggle to undo the damage, some are finding that giving in to Cryptolocker is the only way out. Amazingly, paying the Cryptolocker ransom does actually initiate the decryption process.

So while it’s generally not considered a good idea to give in to the bad guys (how can you fully trust someone that thinks it’s OK to hold your files hostage?), those without a good set of backups that have been infected don’t have any other options yet.

At least the crooks behind Cryptolocker have some scruples. Often when payments are demanded, the only thing that changes is the balance of the two bank accounts involved. There’s always the potential for reinfection, though, so even if you do get your files back after paying up it’s best to reformat and start from scratch.

Researchers from a number of antivirus vendors are working on a way to undo the damage, but it’s not going to be easy. Decrypting Cryptolocker files requires access to both the public and private keys used to encrypt them. Until authorities get their hands on that second key, the NSA may be the only folks around that can reverse the process.

http://www.geek.com/apps/disk-encry...re-demands-300-to-decrypt-your-files-1570402/

2. platinumdude

platinumdude Gold Member Gold Chaser

I use a linux OS. no viruses to worry about.

Lt Dan likes this.
  3. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    GOLD DUCK and searcher like this.
  4. DodgebyDave

DodgebyDave Metal Messiah Midas Member

5. Strawboss

Strawboss Intergalactic Silver Guru Gold Chaser

IT Consulting
    I keep a separate user profile with no password on my computer. That way - in a situation like this - I can simply switch users on start up and do a system restore using the other profile.

It works...

southfork and Goldhedge like this.
  6. Kingfisher

Kingfisher Silver Member Silver Miner

Will you please expand on that a bit?

7. GOLD DUCK

GOLD DUCK Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

QWAK,I think that may (?) have been what got ME or a varient of that scam :cry_smile: and started a cascade of other new problems when I told them to F**K off and just bought a new computer and up graded my sat dish connection to the net!:idea::realmad::thumbs_down:

the DUCK :s9:

8. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    You can set up your computer for many users.

Control Panel/ User Accounts/ Create a New Account/ follow the prompts. You'll need to make it an administrator of course! Don't put a password (or do if necessary [kids]) Strawboss probably is only one using his so he didn't put in a pwd for the 2nd admin account?

You got kids? You can set it up so they each have their own (non admin) account with their own password.

That way, you control the machine with your account.

Kingfisher likes this.
  9. Ragnarok

Ragnarok I'd rather be Midas Member

Where does it come from? How to stay away from it/keep it from getting on your machine in the first place?

R.

Kingfisher likes this.
  10. JustPassinThru

JustPassinThru Gold Member Gold Chaser

I had that happen to me...on a site I shouldn't have trusted (doing research on MLM scams) and all of a sudden, my computer was frozen up.

Told me I had to pay $300; I could send the money to accounts through Wal-Mart or some other retailers who handle money.

Sure. I was told on the locked-in page that I'd been identified as party to illegal economic activities; the payment was a "fine" and I had ten days to pay it.

Sure.

I had Linux. I took ten SECONDS to get to Terminal; force-quit the browser; remove the cookies and reboot. Problem...SOLVED.

Except for dirtbags like that roaming free on Earth. I haven't found a solution to that, yet...it's a shame the things you see when you ain't got a gun...

11. Dude

Dude Midas Member Midas Member

This one went out to mapped drives and encrypted data files. Very nasty. Could not recover them. Had to restore from backup.

12. JustPassinThru

JustPassinThru Gold Member Gold Chaser

Maybe my using Linux saved me.

Not many people write viruses for it...