1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Dirt Is Good For Kids

Discussion in 'Coffee Shack (Daily News/Economy)' started by Bottom Feeder, Jul 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Silver Miner Site Supporter

I KNEW IT!

Dirt is good for kids, a scientist says, contradicting common beliefs that children should be given sterilized objects, or not be allowed to play with animals.

Jack Gilbert, who studies microbial ecosystems at the University of Chicago, decided to find out what exactly are the known risks involved when modern-day kids come into contact with germs, NPR reports. He had received plenty of advice on caring for his kids before, such as sanitizing a pacifier.

It turned out that most of the exposures were actually beneficial, Gilbert said. “So that dirty pacifier that fell on the floor — if you just stick it in your mouth and lick it, and then pop it back in little Tommy’s mouth, it’s actually going to stimulate their immune system. Their immune system’s going to become stronger because of it.”

Now, Gilbert is the co-author of a new book entitled Dirt is Good: The Advantage of Germs for Your Child’s Developing Immune System, where he answers questions from parents that have come up over the years.

In an interview, Gilbert says the biggest things parents get wrong are to keep their children from ever getting dirty, leading to over-sanitized environments. Parents who also keep their kids away from animals, and use hand sanitizer on their children are not also helping.

In the former, having pets around can actually be beneficial for a child’s health, and warm, soapy water is enough for washing.

The five-second rule is also a myth, Gilbert says. It only takes milliseconds for microbes to crawl onto food, and it makes no difference, unless the food was dropped in an area with extremely dangerous bacteria – something that is close to impossible in most homes.

The scientist also recommends licking a pacifier if it falls on the ground instead of washing it, as studies have shown that kids who put licked pacifiers back in their mouths were less likely to develop allergies, asthma, and eczema.

Gilbert points out that as long as children have been vaccinated, and are eating a proper diet that includes vegetables and less sugar, they should be allowed to “experience the world.”

https://www.immortal.org/34249/dirt-good-kids/

I played in the dirt all day when I was a tyke. I've always thought that had a part in my excellent immune system performance. I hardly ever get the flu, I recover from sickness rapidly and cuts and scrapes I get (all the time as a tinkerer) heal rapidly.

Long Live Dirt!

BF

andial, EricTheCat and Howdy like this.
  2. dacrunch

dacrunch Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Well, we live in a "cotton-puff-kids" society now. Anything with a "risk" is "banned". I dare you to find a diving-board at ANY swimming pool! Instead of training on how to pull up from a dive...

I remember one of my daughter-in-laws having us rinse our hands with "antiseptic" before handling our grandson... (only to find out recently how toxic those products are!)...

I've always taken the stance "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."... Got my son a 50cc dirt-bike when he was SIX... With RULES = Jeans, Boots, Jacket, Gloves, Helmet. No excuses. (Had 160 acres of mountain woodland with logging trails at the time...).

No wonder Americans ALL get "Montezuma's Revenge" whenever they travel... No immune system!

3. Silver

Silver Gold Member Gold Chaser

I've met Americans down in Mexico with their children (before the cartels took over) and everyone of them said the children were fine, it was the adults that had intestinal problems - they attributed it to drinking alcohol, only thing the adults did that the children didn't.

4. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    Of course dirt is good for kids. It exercises and strengthens their immune system

dacrunch likes this.
  5. arminius

arminius Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

420 healer
    Excellent article, except for this. And as cogent as this writer is hopefully he understands some vaccines may be beneficial, and some may be much worse that really dirty dirt.

dacrunch and the_shootist like this.
  6. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Silver Miner Site Supporter

Yeah, I know, I was thinking that also, but I just quoted the whole article.

BF

7. EricTheCat

EricTheCat Silver Member Silver Miner

Haha, that was my first thought when clicking the link just to see it spelled out in the first line of your post. :) Sounds like I gave my immune system a pretty good work out as a kid. Still working on it too I guess.

Bottom Feeder likes this.
  8. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
  9. brosil

brosil Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Dirt is good for adults. too. There is nothing so good as a shovel as an exercise machine.