1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Dis-hoarding dead artist's condo

Discussion in 'Coffee Shack (Daily News/Economy)' started by Krag, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Krag

Krag Planet earth Platinum Bling

My brother and I have been trying to clean out an 83 year old dead artist's condo. My brother's philosophy was to get it done quickly rather than save or donate the contents of the apartment beyond the obvious stuff of value. So a lightly used Ethan Allen convertible was loaded into the 30 yard dumpster together with two 10 year old Apple/Mac computers. How would others handle something like this in one of the more expensive NY area suburbs? Obviously if you hold on to stuff you may get cluttered up with decreased function in your own life. His job was to clean it out and get it in paintable condition. I prevailed on him to do at least a half dozen bags of appliances, kitchenware, clothing, etc. taken to Goodwill. But a great deal more ended up ditched in the dumpster.

2. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Hey! Us dumpster divers need some treasure to find too.

BF

mtnman, andial, Krag and 2 others like this.
  3. Krag

Good luck with that; I actually went back to scavenge for Goodwill today and the 30 yard dumpster was gone, replaced with an empty one, so the one they pulled out is history at a dump where scavenging is prohibited.

4. latemetal

latemetal Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

Trust me, some one is/will/has picking thru it...

5. ctrl-z

ctrl-z Seeker Seeker

It is hard to hear, think about, deal with as a known pack rat.

I am facing a simular situation with my living mother. I feel for ya. Sometimes you just gotta slash and burn.

All the more you donate the better I would guess.

6. Krag

I just don't like to see waste. I had an 8 hp leaf blower that I ran as a free ad on Craigslist today, it went in hours. It had a knock and a gas leak, I'm not qualified to fix that, but the guy who picked it up hopefully is, my brother wanted to dumpster it.

Waste not, want not, karma, doing the right thing matters, you never know where you will be in a year or two financially.

dacrunch, Someone_else and JayDubya like this.
  7. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

I would have held an auction/estate sale and turned it into cash.

8. Wellsburg

Wellsburg Silver Member Silver Miner

Small Business Owner
    I would have called Salvation Army and have them send trucks and muscle, take the tax deduction for donation. (Get a receipt.)

dacrunch, Krag and JayDubya like this.
  9. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

The computers and sofa would have sold easily on CL if you have the time. IF not leave it on the sidewalk and it will disappear.

At my old home I used to countdown the hours after placing items in the front swale to see how long they would take to be scavenged. Nothing ever lasted the day. I had a weight bench and plates that I put out at the end of the driveway. I turned around and before I got 50 feet up to the house somebody stopped and started loading it up.

searcher, dacrunch and Krag like this.
  10. Krag

Unfortunately it was one of those toney condo complexes where they don't permit tag sales, etc., my brother didn't want stuff in his garage, and I don't have room so choices were limited.

11. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

I regularly go to garage sales and estate sales and get expensive stuff for nothing. I usually buy anything that I know I could sell for double or more in one day. It hasn't bitten me wrong yet.

One of the last ones I went to was an old artist who was going into the rest home and her kids sold everything for nothing. I got about $2,000 worth of top of the line brushes for 10 bucks. I also got a lot of old school film editing equipment and alot of N.O.S bulbs and tubes from the 20's. I paid 20 bucks for that and about 20,000 slides from the 40's. Made out very well on them.

One time I got an original artist signed oil painting from the 40's for 5 bucks -- I looked up the artist and estimate it to be worth over 500$ compared to what others of his are selling for and mine is perfect not one spec -- others are ripped or have mold on them going for over 400.

Zed, searcher and dacrunch like this.
  12. Rollie Free

Rollie Free Midas Member Midas Member

I cant tell you this. If my wife dies before me I don't care what her treasure trove is worth. Its going to be one heck of a bonfire.

I know you can pick through stuff but for some of us its a living hell to do that.

13. Krag

I dropped off the Black and Decker drill yesterday, barely used at Goodwill. The artist had an airbrush set up not sure what it's worth, I can get that from the storage area there.

14. RealJack

RealJack Gold Member Gold Chaser

Look up some estate sales folks in your area. They would love to hear from you to either negotiate to buy the whole lot from you outright or know someone who will.

Zed likes this.
  15. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    Garage/House sale... everything dirt cheap so that you cover your time for standing around and protecting the property. Let them walk the stuff away and get a bargain. People want/need all sorts of odd stuff, you'd be surprised what you can move in a day... hang out a sign for a week or so first. Put ads in Gumtree & craigslist and whatever else.

searcher likes this.