1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Does Anyone Collect Cast Iron Toys?

Discussion in 'Collecting, along with Metals and Numi's' started by Bottom Feeder, May 3, 2017.

1. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Picked this cast iron toy at my local Goodwill the other day, cost about $15.00. I have seen collections of old, cast iron toys before and some of the items were pretty pricey.

Anyhow, looking around on the net I discovered these priced from $20.00 to $250.00. They were first made in the 1880s and reproduced two or three times in the 1900s. Seems like a lot depends on when they were cast. The original, called “home Town Darkies” was made in the 1880s, an example here –

Iron Original.jpg
    The next casting, in the 1920s, 30s or so, and now called “ Home Town Battery”(PC at work that early, also the name on the front of all the castings) an example here –

Iron Original from early 1900s.jpg

Then, it was again recast in the 1950s, of which there seems to be a plethora of examples. This is a photo of the one I snagged, the catchers left hand is missing –

Home Town Battery.jpg

So my dilemma here is just trying to figure out which reproduction era my toy came from and how to appraise the thing. If anyone here is a collector of these toys would you mind chiming in here to help me set an asking price for it on e-bait?

BF

oops - removed a double sentence
    Oh, yeah, as long as I'm editing - the thing functions. That is the pitcher tosses a coin and it drops in the hole.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  2. mayhem

mayhem Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter

I still have a cast horse and wagon that was a toy given to me in the mid 1940's.

gringott likes this.
  3. Bottom Feeder

Ya know, mayhem, I had a few cast iron toys when I was just a tot. Tractors, trucks, some farm animals. Usually they were cast offs from my cousins. Most broken in some fashion or another. I probably couldn't wait to throw those things in the trash and replace them with classy plastic cars and soldiers. :(

BF

mayhem likes this.
  4. D-FENZ

D-FENZ Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

20 years ago I started accumulating a small collection of cast-iron toys, not because I liked them particularly, but mainly for price appreciation . The problem with them is in the authentication. It wasn't long before I realized that if the value ever did start to climb appreciably, it would be capped by the relatively low cost to reproduce them. And there are already scads of reproductions out there. I couldn't tell the difference with any certainty. It doesn't take long for a freshly minted piece of cast sitting out in the weather to look exactly like an old one. Experts in the field can tell the difference with a reasonable degree of confidence, but knock-offs are getting better and cheap.

That uncertainty is baked into the price, especially the ones sold on eBay where the buyer only sees photos.

5. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

I have a few lead cowboys and indians that my great grandfather played with as a child.

6. mtnman

mtnman Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Retired Shipyard Machinist
    The UPC should give it away! Just kidding that goodwills tag. Show me some more pictures, Does it have grind marks anywhere. Does it have a Phillips screw or flat slot screw? I'm retired now but I was a full time antique dealer for 25 years. I know a little about them.

7. Bottom Feeder

Yeah, the goodwill tag. I didn't remove that yet because of the sticky. The screws are phillips, and I noticed there were of flat screws in some of the images I saw in searching so I assumed that was one dating method. No grind marks. Also it does not have this stamp here on the bottom:

Bottom Tag.jpg
    Here are some other photos;

Bottom.jpg Back.jpg Cocked with Coin.jpg Raised Arms.jpg

The paint seems to be original. The bottom plug is a rubber stopper, probably not original. In one photo I have a coin in the pitcher's hand and one with the button in the back pushed down to where the batter's arms are raised.

I figure it's probably a $20 to $30 example. Probably cost about that much to ship anywhere, it weighs about five pounds.

BF

8. mtnman

Sorry to inform you but it's a fake(new). The rubber stopper is correct for the age as are the phillips screws. Made in the 1980's and worth $20 or less. Keep hitting the Goodwill, treasures move through them.

9. Bottom Feeder

Tnx, Mountain Man, I figured something about there. I never manage to snag a golden treasure. :(
    I'll use it for an ashtray.

BF

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  10. Mr Paradise

Mr Paradise Midas Member Midas Member

The Chicoms fake everything of value. Morgans, Art, Nazi shyt, Star Wars toys, etc....

mtnman likes this.
  11. Bottom Feeder

And if I bought any I'd use them for ashtrays too.

BF

12. mtnman

Not just the Chinese. People have been faking for a long long time. Lots of fake antiques out there that were made before trade with china was common.

Mr Paradise likes this.
  13. Mr Paradise

Oh yeah, it's not just the Chinese but they've actually based a part of their economy on exporting fakes. When I saw all those near perfect Morgans confiscated in Hong Kong about 15 years ago I woke up fast.

I "know" a guy who's made a living selling nszi crap to the gullible masses. He gets his knockoffs from Pakistan outfit that does near perfect repro's, ages them up and comes up with a story "My Dad took this off a dead SS paratrooper general around Normandy......" and some poor meatball will fork over hundreds of dollars.

14. mtnman

Civil war "Artifacts" are done the same way. Fake buckles and buttons aged and sold as metal detector treasures. ya got to be careful.

Mr Paradise likes this.
  15. Mr Paradise

You should have seen all the 101st patches and gear that flooded the market after the Band of Brothers show......"this was my fathers patch off the uniform he was wearing when he jumped on D-Day" ......LOL!

gringott likes this.