1. Wednesday Morning and all is quiet. For today, crude inventories on tap and ADP payroll, along with pending home sales
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Wednesday AM, Gold is quiet and +.60 to 1313, while Silver is +14 at 18.72. Crude is down 33 to 46.02. The USD is flat at 96.04
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 8/27/16 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1322.60 DOWN 19.60-- Silver $18.65 DOWN 66-- Oil $47.64 DOWN 1.47--- USD $95.54 up 106 tics-- Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE $1392.14(1), SAE $21.84 (20)
  4. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

EMP proofing a home generator?

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by funk, Sep 20, 2012.

1. funk

funk Seeker Seeker

I have a generator that I would like to be usable, even if there is a solar flare or EMP. Does the panel think it would work to build a wooden box and then wrap said box in aluminum and copper sheeting? The box would be roughly 48" cubed and cost about $300 in materials.

2. TnAndy

TnAndy retired guy Midas Member

This a portable generator ?

I doubt it would be hurt as long as it wasn't grounded or connected to your home at the time of "the event".

Even a whole house generator with a transfer switch I don't think would be affected, unless possibly the ground is permanently connected.

Things that would be affected, from what I understand, are fragile electronics, and things connected to the grid, where the long wiring acts as an antennae.

GOLD DUCK, funk and Ragnarok like this.
  3. Fullpower

Fullpower Seeker Seeker

EMP proofing generator?

Easy.
    Just UNPLUG it.
    With no long wires plugged in, it is a small target, and will not pick up much, if any RF energy.

4. Treasure Searcher

Treasure Searcher Gold Member Gold Chaser

We were taught in the military to bury (place in hole, etc.) such items, to protect them from EMP.

funk likes this.
  5. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter

Slave, but a little less every day
    Hey the Funk,
    That plan should work IMHO.
    And like Tn says, not connected I would think.
    I have a small ( 16" x 16 " ) homemade box made out of copper sheets and covered with foil.
    Crude, you would laugh if you saw it I would think. Has a top like a shoe box.
    In it I have some small stuff...shortwave, 2way radios, etc.
    I have been inside many telco buildings ( some almost completely buried underground ) that have poured concrete walls
    that are 16" to 24" thick and the entire underground structure has a copper sheeting on it to help thwart EMP.
    Many of them built in the 50's and 60's also had " blast " detectors.
    Further, I will ad that I have bid various KBR projects in the last few years where extensive preps have been made to outfit
    the structures with EMP protections.
    Our own military is expending mucho $ to protect stuff from EMP.
    One project that comes to mind was one to retrofit some older AM radio towers for DHS for " emergency com "
    I thought it was interesting the side note on one of the pages the hookup for the " Future EMP proof generator "
    or something of the sort.
    Got my attention that one.
    On the other side of it, have you seen any of those myth buster vids where those guys simulate an EM pulse on a
    Taurus or some other late model ? I watched a few....and then built my box anyways.
    Talk to you a little later.

funk likes this.
  6. CiscoKid

CiscoKid They all look good through beer goggles... Gold Chaser

Engineer / Business owner
    I have a Generac permanently installed on my house. It's not possible to cover it with a box because it turns itself on and runs for 12 minutes once a week and will need to be able to get air and expel exhaust. Sure would like it to still be running after an EMP. All my guitar amps are tube so they'll survive an EMP just fine. :rock:

7. obilly

obilly Silver Member Silver Miner

from the posts above,,,,,its is clear there is confusion about EMP AND CME,,,,it is very hard to protect anything electrical from a weapon design to produce a EMP,,,,.harden telco sites, is crap, as long as there is a telco cable or electric cable to the outside world it aint EMP proof. EMP weapons can produce a 100,000 v pulse which can fry the coils in any tube amp unplugged from the grid......also there appears to be protection from pulses for off grid depending on the orientation of the electrical device to the pulse.....cars will fair better than most think,,,,,. as far as CME's go if you are off grid your electronics will be ok. JMFO?

8. Unca Walt

Unca Walt Midas Member Midas Member

Funk,

Your design will work fine. I have a major prob with it, though:

Should not cost anywhere NEAR $300. What the hell are you using for grounding material... melted K-rands? :s9:

Lowe's prices (just go there and check):

7 2X4's @$2 each. There's your cube frame with a braced-bottom. Cost: $14

24 pcs 12x24 galvanized 26- gauge sheet metal @ $6 each: $144

2' rebar 3/8" thick: $2

Metal hose clamp: $3.50

Coil of solder: $10

If you don't feel like soldering the galvanized panels together (and it would be too much of a bother for me) just use metal tape, leaving no gaps.

100' metal tape: $13.

You prolly awreddy have some of the above stuff, but if you start absolutely from scratch, it still comes out to only $173.50 to $176.50.

9. AgBar

AgBar Commodore Gold Chaser

Physicist
    The electromagnetic effects of a solar flare are long waves, fields changing on the order of seconds, tens or maybe a hundred volts per meter electric field strength.

The pulse from a nuclear weapon is a sharp edge, fields rising in nanoseconds (billionths of a second) with lingering eddy currents for a few seconds after, E-field strengths reaching tens of thousands of V/m. Very different beast.

Just unplug it. Long wire = long antenna = more power collected. If you're plugged in, the device will "see" the wiring all the way through your house and out to the transformer (plus whatever effects get through the x-former from the other side).

That said, you've lived through dozens of solar flares already in your life. Nothing Carrington-sized, granted, but still some big-'uns.

US Army Technical Manual TM5-690: "GROUNDING AND BONDING IN COMMAND, CONTROL, COMMUNICATIONS, COMPUTER, INTELLIGENCE, SURVEILLANCE, AND RECONNAISSANCE (C4ISR) FACILITIES"

http://armypubs.army.mil/eng/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/tm5_690.pdf

(^^ note the above is a link to a .pdf document.)

You want chapter 5.

10. Jimfrancisco

Jimfrancisco Seeker Seeker

How old is the genny? all solid state or relays and resistors? A model number would help a lot, but if it's an oldie it'll be fine - newer gennys will be wrecked unless you do a simple faraday cage - even then, you can almost certainly resurrect it with old tech - mechanical governer, etc.

11. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Buy some thin lead foil and make a blanket out of it.

12. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter

Slave, but a little less every day
    Nahh...I would not say the millions I have seen spent ( many times just on one project ) and participated in per the pdf mil spec ( and redundant mods and addendums to it...good golly they have their ideas they do ) above is crap. :cheerful:
    But then again, it ain't been tested either. Heh.
    Agreed, very difficult to know what the overall ramifications might be.
    What I am seeing is more and more portable hook up to and small stuff in areas for a line of sight daisy chain com set up after some type of problemo.
    .Gov can sure spend the money.
    I am just gonna settle with my smaller boxes. Working on a foot locker size one now. Glad this thread came up.
    Regards to all.
    Made it to the " strong" end of the week.

13. funk

funk Seeker Seeker

Thanks for the good info, all kinds of knowledge here once you scratch the surface.

Unca, my cost was based on copper foil and a soild plywood cube. The copper is overkill, but it is still investing money into a semi precious metal. With a large plywood box, I could stuff other things in the voids.

14. anywoundedduck

anywoundedduck Gold Member Gold Chaser

Data Architect, Systems Engineer, Business Owner,
    Hey Hystckndle

During the AT&T breakup from Bell Companies, in the early 80s, I was part of a team that inventoried these Bunkered Telcos, along the East Coast. I thought it was cool how every frame, rather than bolted in, was strapped up with huge rubber bands to withstand a close by nuclear explosion.

AWD

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012