1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Famed Explorer Looking For Lost Tribe Of Headhunters Has Disappeared

Discussion in 'Coffee Shack (Daily News/Economy)' started by Goldhedge, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired
    Hope he didn't lose his head....

Famed Explorer Looking For Lost Tribe Of Headhunters Has Disappeared

[​IMG]
    Photo by David Levenson/Getty Images
    By HANK BERRIEN
    November 14, 2017

A 57-year-old famed British explorer who was dropped by helicopter into Papua New Guinea three weeks ago so he could find a lost tribe of headhunters has disappeared.

Benedict Allen, who was supposed to be in Port Moresby on Sunday to take a flight to Hong Kong, has no phone or GPS device, and has not given evidence that he is around. He was insistent on looking for the Yaifo tribe, one of the few remaining anywhere who have no contact with outsiders and live in the jungles of East Sepik, where roads or navigable rivers are non-existent.

Allen’s agent, Joanna Sarsby, stated:

His wife Lenka has not heard from him. She is very worried. He would never miss something like the Hong Kong talk unless something had happened. He is a highly experienced explorer, very clever and resourceful and adept at surviving in the most hostile places on Earth, and he would never give up. He may not be a young man any more but he is very fit.

He was trying to reach the Yaifo people, a very remote and reclusive tribe – possibly headhunters, quite a scary bunch. Goodness knows what has happened. I just imagine he might have been taken ill or is lying injured somewhere, perhaps with a broken leg, and maybe being helped by locals. He never takes a phone with him – he believes in living like the locals. For him not to come back is really odd.​

Allen, who has recorded six TV series for the BBC, married his wife in 2007; they have three children under the age of 10. Allen made the first documented journey of the length of the Namib Desert and is reportedly the only person known to have crossed the full width of the 1,000-mile Gobi Desert only using camels. Allen has reportedly traveled for longer alone in rainforest than anyone else alive. The Daily Telegraph listed him as one of the top ten British explorers of all time.

Allen’s last blog post on his website read:

The Yaifo are one of the last people on the entire planet who are out of contact with our interconnected world. I’m hiring a helicopter to drop me off at the abandoned mission station, Bisorio – a forlorn place. Last time, the Yaifo greeted me with a terrifying show of strength, an energetic dance featuring their bows and arrows. On this occasion who knows if the Yaifo will do the same. Nor do I have an obvious means of returning to the outside world, which is somewhat worrying, especially at my advanced age.

Either I must paddle down river for a week or so – or enlist the help of the Yaifo, as I did last time. So, if this website or my Twitter account falls more than usually silent – I’m due back mid-November – it’s because I am still out there somewhere. So, don’t bother to call or text! Just like the good old days, I won’t be taking a satellite phone, GPS or companion. Or anything else much. Because this is how I do my journeys of exploration. I grow older but no wiser, it seems.​

2. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    He needs to remain calm and not lose....wait for it.......his :belly laugh::rage 1

FoundingFathers likes this.
  3. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

How? Why? Another senseless murder.

4. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

Hmmm, the name Timothy Treadwell comes to mind.....
    Good luck Benedict if you're still in one piece!

5. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

I thought there were various peoples in the Amazon that still had no contact. Anyway, he was a fool for not taking a satellite phone. Even if he did not value his life highly, he could give informational reports before his demise. His discoveries would be published instead of dieing with him.

Hystckndle likes this.
  6. solarion

solarion Gold Member Gold Chaser

Best wishes to the Allen family. For the sake of his wife and young ones, hopefully he's just lost and temporarily incommunicado.

7. JayDubya

JayDubya Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

He was looking for a "lost tribe".

That tribe isn't lost. They're exactly where they want to be. And they d0n't want to be "found".

Leave those people alone. They're not a fecking exhibit at some zoo.

ArkWv, Pyramid, D-FENZ and 3 others like this.
  8. hoarder

hoarder Midas Board Mmbr Platinum Bling

Damn fool. What can be gained by contacting those wild primitive savages?

9. latemetal

latemetal Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

Looking for HEADHUNTERS, what kind of stupid is this?

ArkWv, the_shootist and Someone_else like this.
  10. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

One that can not be blamed on "Whitey" anyway.

11. Someone_else

I don't know about this case, but I read an interesting article about some tribe in the Amazon. They have many different words to express "to know". One might know something from direct observation, or from hearing it from someone else, or from logic based on known facts. Their language spells out exactly how they "know" something, where in English, "I know..." is just vomit. It can be fact or just opinion, or a very bad conclusion based on bad logic and tenuous "facts". I find their exact approach interesting and useful. So many English speakers say they KNOW something when they do not KNOW it. They lie. They only think it is true, they do not KNOW it is true.

12. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    sorry I just can not help myself...hahaah.... "did they find his body?"

13. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Family of missing British explorer who ventured into the Papua New Guinea jungle with no GPS while searching for a lost tribe fear he could have been 'robbed and left for dead' by drug barons
    • Benedict Allen, 57, hasn't been seen since being dropped off by helicopter into remote jungle three weeks ago
    • Experienced explorer who once ate his own dog to survive decided to travel without a phone or GPS tracking
    • Father-of-three was on mission to find the Yaifo - a secretive tribe who have no contact with the outside world
    • Allen failed to arrive back in capital Port Morseby on Sunday, sparking panic about his whereabouts
    • Sister Katie said family was concerned but Mr Allen has been missing for three months in the Amazon before
    • Friend Frank Gardner said Mr Allen knew he would be out of touch and said 'resilient' explorer would be fine

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5082983/British-explorer-missing-remote-headhunters-jungle.html#ixzz4yVtsbkZW
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

^updated^ likes this.
  14. dacrunch

dacrunch Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

Maybe you should've seen a shrink before getting shrunk?

GOLDBRIX and Goldhedge like this.
  15. hoarder

Actually we do have the language to express how we came to believe something.... "I heard" and "I saw". Perhaps that kind of language is better than jumping to the conclusion of "I know". However, if Headhunters or Amazon tribes lack the language to say "I know", I doubt they are any more logical than Westerners.

16. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Ya know, Irons, I had the same thought when I read about his quest.
    Appears as if he might have found 'em. :D:D

BF

Irons likes this.
  17. Ebie

Ebie Midas Member Midas Member

Funny!

18. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

That's like an American walking into Syria carrying an Quoran thinking nothing bad could happen. Same end result where the head would get chopped off.

19. Someone_else

Yes, you are right. I try to use language like that when I heard or saw something and I am pretty sure, but I can't claim to know it 100% for fact. If someone tells me something as a fact, *I* do not know it to be a fact. I do know that I heard that person tell me that, and if someone asks me about that alleged "fact", I would respond that some-and-so said blah, blah, blah. If I saw something last week, I don't know if anything has changed since then. If someone asks about that, I would reply that I saw that something last week and blah, blah, blah.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting that a language had those forms of "to know" built in.

hoarder likes this.
  20. D-FENZ

D-FENZ Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

I would think that nothing could announce your trespass and ignite the savage instincts of a superstitious, stone-age tribe of headhunting savages like the thump of an approaching helicopter. Kind of like chumming sharks.

If one has a death wish with a grandiose exit, that should do it.

the_shootist likes this.
  21. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Careful what you wish for, you might get it!

22. hoarder

23. ^updated^

^updated^ found a way in Silver Miner

no answer
    His search plane just got back. No sign of him yet.

[​IMG]

24. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

...When all about you want your HEAD and blaming it on YOU....
    Forgive me Rudyard :reading: :dduck:

25. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

dacrunch likes this.
  26. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

His wife is cute. I would bone her.

27. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired
    Yeah, well you better hurry!

Famed British Explorer Found, But Still Needs To Be Rescued

[​IMG]
    Photo by David Levenson/Getty Images
    ByHANK BERRIEN
    November 16, 2017

Four days after he was reported missing, British explorer Benedict Allen, who was avidly searching for a lost tribe of headhunters in the Papua New Guinean jungle, was found, although he still needs to be rescued.

Allen, 57, was discovered at an airstrip 20 miles northwest of Porgera, Enga Province; he had been dropped into the jungle to find the remote Yaifo tribe.

Allen's agent, Jo Sarsby said: '”At 5 p.m. local time, Keith Copley, the coordinating director for New Tribe Mission in Papua New Guinea confirmed in writing that Benedict Allen was safe, well and healthy. He is presently located at a remote airstrip 20 miles northwest of Porgera, Enga Province. Confirmation on exact location coordinates are now being confirmed in order to arrange evacuation as soon as possible.”

Copley told The Sun it would take a couple of days to rescue Allen, adding:

The problem we have is that communication is really bad so I can't physically speak to him, so the locals he is with are trekking two hours to make calls to me. For the moment he is in the best place possible, I know the area where he is very well and I know the hut where he is staying. He will be fine and they have enough rations. I suppose I should have asked for more details, but he just made it sound like it's all safe before he went off. He doesn't take modern technology because he thinks it spoils the experience and he can't rely on his knowledge of nature and his abilities because he could always just telephone for a helicopter, which is too easy. To an extent it makes sense, but it is a dangerous way of exploring.​

BBC security correspondent Frank Gardener, a friend of Allen’s, stated, “This is exactly the sort of challenge he thrives on. But as well as having to contend with almost impossibly steep and forested terrain, it seems his plans have been disrupted by an outbreak of tribal infighting which often happens in remote areas.”

Allen’s wife, Lenka, 35, told the Daily Mail, “It is such a relief. I’m so happy; it’s amazing. It is very exciting.” Allen had been scheduled to fly to Hong Kong on Sunday to deliver a speech, but never showed up.

Last September, Allen said the Yaifo were “one of the last people on the entire planet who are out of contact with our interconnected world … In October I'm hiring a helicopter to drop me off at the abandoned mission station, Bisorio — a forlorn place. Last time the Yaifo greeted me with a terrifying show of strength, an energetic dance featuring their bows and arrows. On this occasion who knows if the Yaifo will do the same, or run off, or be wearing jeans and T-shirts traded eons ago from the old mission station.”

28. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    So much for all the drama! Looks like another one of those 'hey, look at me world' articles