1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Fine Swiss Wristwatches

Discussion in 'Real Estate & Other Investments' started by <SLV>, Feb 2, 2018.

1. <SLV>

<SLV> Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Perhaps there are better "investments", but it is the weekend, so let's have some fun.

Anyone here a big fan of fine watches? It isn't the status symbol appeal for me as much as the amazing engineering, craftsmanship and artistry.

My favorite contemporary Swiss watches are made by Oris (www.oris.ch). Here are my top picks (I'd have one of each... but way out of my league!).

Oris Altimeter Rega Limited Edition - Oris Big .jpg Oris Artelier Calibre 113 - Oris Artelier - Cul.jpg Oris Artelier Date Diamonds - Oris Artelier - Cu.jpg Oris BC3 Advanced, Day Date - Oris BC3 - Aviation.jpg Oris Chronoris Date - Oris Chronoris - Motor Sport.jpg Oris Divers Sixty-Five - Oris Divers - Diving - .jpg Oris BC4 Small Second, Pointer Day - Oris BC4 - .jpg

2. <SLV>

Here are some other Swiss brands that have caught my eye. Some of these are in the more "affordable" range. All of them are automatics (self-winding -- most based on ETA calibers).

Alpina Startimer Pilot Automatic Chronograph Men's Watch AL-725B4S6 - Startimer .jpg Frederique Constant Classics Index Automatic Men's Watch 303S5B6 - Classics - Fr.jpg Hamilton Khaki Field Silver Dial Men's Watch H70455553 - Khaki Field - Hamilton .jpg Hublot Classic Fusion Automatic Black Carbon Fiber Dial Black Rubber Men's Watch.jpg Omega Speedmaster Racing Automatic Chronograph Men's Watch 32630405002001 - Spee.jpg Tissot Carson Chronograph Automatic Men's Watch T0854271101100 - Carson - T-Clas.jpg

3. <SLV>

4. <SLV>

5. luckabuck

luckabuck Gold Member Gold Chaser

[I wear this]:don't    know2:[​IMG][/QUOTE]

6. Pyramid

Pyramid Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I have this watch made by the original manufacturer of Swiss Army knives and watches.

[​IMG]

Wenger AltiNav. It has a ton of cool applications such as weather forecasting, altimeter, barometer, compass etc.. It's on the very low end of the price range of Swiss watches, about 200 FRN's. One could easily spend thousands, tens of thousands, or even a couple million on the higher end Swiss watches if one was willing and able to do so.

7. D-FENZ

D-FENZ Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

I do appreciate nice watches on the one condition that they efficiently serve their primary function. That is to reliably give me accurate time at a glance. My eyes aren't as good as they once were but it amazes me how many fine watches fail in that most basic simple function.

The Breitling on the left is a moderately expensive traditional automatic that I bought maybe 15 years ago on a whim. I rarely wear it except for fancier social functions because, since I don't store it in a winder, it always needs reset. That and with my active, physical type of work I would hate to beat it up. More importantly it is difficult to read at a glance. But shake it a couple of times, set it, and it's off and running. I do like the look, heavy feel and appreciate the craftsmanship.
    The Luminox on the right cost about 10% of what the Breitling did. Even though it is Swiss made electric, watch aficionados would probably scoff. That's ok- I wear it all the time, only taking it off when I shower. I have replaced the leather band probably 3 or 4 times already but otherwise, no complaints. It is easily read in any light or no-light condition. It glows green in the dark with an orange tube on the 12 to indicate the top. It comes with my highest recommendation. I love it.

IMG_4460[1].JPG

newmisty, BigJim#1-8 and <SLV> like this.
  8. <SLV>

COMPLETELY agree. Too many high-end watches have cluttered dials. I don't want to wear a watch that I can't read at a glance.

I really like the Hamilton Khaki Field Silver Dial (shown above) for a daily watch. At the price ($350) I wouldn't be too concerned about wear. I think a black band would dress it up and look more appropriate in a professional setting.

As a mechanical engineer I love finely tuned machines (automobiles, cameras, firearms, etc.), and for this reason automatics interest me and quarts movements really don't.

D-FENZ likes this.
  9. <SLV>

"New" on the scene (20 years), Anonimo. I like what I see! Crown at 12? Cool. Easy to read dial in a simple and rugged masculine case. Hard to find in stock anywhere. Price is $2,800 firm. Can't find it cheaper anywhere.

Anonimo Watches - militare - auto-militare-vintage - Internet Explorer.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  10. <SLV>

Here's a nice, easy to read, automatic that is priced affordably. Include sapphire crystal and window-back:

Glycine KMU Black Dial Automatic Men's Leather Watch GL0131 - KMU 48 - Glycine -.jpg

11. <SLV>

Corum Admirals Cup Limited Edition Chronograph Men's Watch 96110194F371-AN12 - A.jpg Wish I was tough enough to wear this! Not sure what wardrobe choices would work with it, but it is one tough-looking watch.

12. <SLV>

This is classy. I like the range-finder motif and high-vis second hand. Very easy to read Arabic numerals. Price is right, too.

Raymond Weil Freelancer Black Dial Automatic Men's Watch 2754-SR-05200 - Freelan.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  13. <SLV>

Another attractive Raymond Weil. I like the exposed clockworks in lieu of a second hand. Gives the rhythm of movement.

Raymond Weil Freelancer Silver Dial Automatic Men's Watch 2780-STC-65001 - Freel.jpg

14. <SLV>

I dare you to try to read this monstrosity from Citizen!

Citizen Navihawk A-T Eco Drive Black Dial Men's Watch JY8035-04E - Nighthawk A-T.jpg

15. ErrosionOfAccord

ErrosionOfAccord #1 Global Warmer Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Energy Extraction
    Have a Raymond Weil I picked up during the gulf storm. Had a cute glass back that showed off the movement. Dropped the thing on a carpeted floor and the hasp snapped back, breaking the glass. That was in 95, maybe it’s time to get it fixed.

<SLV> likes this.
  16. lumpOgold

lumpOgold Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I stick to my regular reliable Bulova watch, fine US made wristwatch. (I believe Citizen is the parent company.)
    upload_2018-2-7_16-19-44.png

17. AguA

AguA Seeker Seeker

Once you know how to read and use an E6-B, then the rest is just a basic watch. It's not as bad as it would seem to the unlearned.

18. Silver

Silver Gold Member Gold Chaser

lumpOgold and <SLV> like this.
  19. <SLV>

This one. I'm saving my pennies until I have the $900 needed to bring it home.

Hamilton Jazzmaster Auto Chrono black with brown leather strap. Valjous 7750 derived caliber.

hamilton-jazzmaster-auto-chronograph-men_s-watch-h32616533.jpg

lumpOgold and newmisty like this.
  20. 97guns

97guns Gold Member Gold Chaser

RETIRED
    I was looking to throw some money at some kind of a hard asset last month and I was on a Rolex hunt, I as certain I would buy a his and hers pair but the more I looked into it the more I realized that it might not have the preserving power I was expecting. the fact that they could or could not keep accurate time turned me off to never look back, I was under the assumption of the saying “runs like a Swiss watch”