1. Markets swoon moving into Monday open, Metals catch a nice bid
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Monday Morning! Gold is up 8.8 to 1257, while Silver is up 18 to 1793. Crude is falling 40 to 4757. The USD is down 50 to 9893.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 3/25/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1248.50-- UP 18.30 Silver $17.75-- UP 34 Oil $47.97-- DOWN 134 TICS USD $99.42 -- DOWN 66 tics

Gold, Silver & Copper Scrap

Discussion in 'Collecting, along with Metals and Numi's' started by searcher, Mar 18, 2015.

1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

*Came across this one by accident and thought it was interesting.

Gold Fingers - How to Recover Gold from Electronic Scrap

Published on Dec 19, 2013
    http://http://www.goldnscrap.com In this video tutorial i'm showing how to recover gold from electronic circuit board scrap. Specifically the gold plating that is found on the board connector edge - A.K.A the "fingers".
    This video is a complementary to the complete written tutorial on Gold-N-Scrap website (direct link below)

The process applies to other kinds of gold plated itmes, given the substrate is unreactive (such as PCB, ceramic, glass etc'...). This process is less suitable for metallic items that are gold plated such as gold plated pins and gold filled items, though it will work with much effort and large consumption of acid.

Post a comment and let us know how much gold do you think this recovery process yielded.

Click here to view the complete tutorial on Gold-N-Scrap:
    http://www.goldnscrap.com/index.php/f...

With special thanks to the fine members of the Gold Refining Forum: http://www.goldrefiningforum.com

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
    CopperSilverGold likes this.
  2. CopperSilverGold

CopperSilverGold Silver Member Silver Miner

Ok time for the real job - district manager for na
    Interesting!

searcher likes this.
  3. searcher

DIY Gas Furnace - Melting Gold and Silver

https://youtu.be/0XlCcQMRM9E

Published on Apr 23, 2014
    http://www.goldnscrap.com This short video demonstration shows how i built a small gas fired crucible melting furnace with some basic tools and equipment.
    This makeshift furnace is capable of melting couple of pounds of Gold, Silver and Copper in one melt easily.

I already had most of the equipment and the only thing i actually needed to buy for this project was the insulation blanket.

The silver that was melted in this video was refined using electrolytic cell and the purity is 99.99+%. The crucible used in this video holds a bit less than 3 lbs. (about 1.35 Kg) silver.

The underwater footage was taken using a GoPro HERO 3 (Black edition)

-------------------------------------

Hope you guys learned something new and enjoyed watching this video as much i enjuyed making it.

If you have built a similar furnace, let us all see it - Post a link to a video or pictures of your furnace here in the comments section below.

4. searcher

Melting Gold - Casting 1 Troy Ounce Bullion Bar (24 Karat)

https://youtu.be/HX1ej0PAhYQ

Published on Jun 16, 2012
    http://www.goldnscrap.com A short demo - manual casting of one ounce gold bullion bar.
    Fuel/Oxy torch and a graphite mold were used. The gold was melten in a silica crucible.

p.s. - sorry for the disturbing background noise... i didn't realised how loud my fumehood fans are...

5. searcher

Melting Silver - 32.15 Toz (1 Kg) 999 Bullion Bar

https://youtu.be/bEGkoTc17Zw

Published on Sep 2, 2012
    http://www.goldnscrap.com/index.php?o... Melting Silver, Here's a short demonstration of meltdown and casting of a 1 Kilogram (32.15 Troy Ounces) Silver Bullion Bar.

Please note, the Silver was melted inside a graphite crucible (keeps Oxygen out) using an electric furnace. The actual pour of the metal is done all the while a propane flame is blazing into the mold cavity. Again, to prevent Oxygen absorption by the Silver (otherwise it will "spit" upon solidification).

Also note, as this is a safety issue as well as a technical demand, that the mold was pre-heated prior to taking this video by placing the mold on top of the furnace lid.
    Molten metals being poured into a cold mold can literally "explode" out of the cavity all over you and the surrounding work place, posing a great fire and injury risk.

The mold was also seasoned prior to taking this video by coating it with a layer of soot from the propane flame.

This particular mold was made by me, unfortunately, it seems that i chose the wrong kind of graphite to work with (too porous), hence, the not so perfect surface finish (as you can see, the surface is slightly dimpled).

But all in all, still nice result. :-)

Here in this video, you can watch the a first Silver Refining steps:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZEUco...

6. searcher

How to Recover Gold from Integrated Circuits Chips

https://youtu.be/VZganYmR0-w

Published on Mar 5, 2013
    http://www.goldnscrap.com Here's a short video demonstration on the process of Gold Recovery from scrap Integrated Circuits Chip (epoxy based).

Please note, the process shown here relates only to magnetic chips (magnetic leads).
    The leads (pins) from this process are processed together with non magnetic copper based chips. I will make another tutorial about that in the near future.

Also, do know that i do not advocate the use of inciniration of plastics unless it can be done safely and in an environmentally friendly fashion.
    If you can't incinerate right, DON'T DO IT !

Any comments are welcomed.

7. D-FENZ

D-FENZ Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

There is one problem with recovering metals from scrap and fabricating them into ingots. No matter how pure you make them and how beautiful they look, no one is going to take your word or stamp for how pure they are - or even what metals they contain. Nobody. And no one will pay you what they may be worth unless they are stamped with a recognizable hallmark. If you do sell them to anyone other than a refinery, you will take a steep loss. They will have to be remelted to be properly assayed anyway.

Unless you just want to play with the metals as a hobby, my advice would be to take your scrap jewelery, contacts, fingers- whatever- to an honest refiner as they are. Seriously, you will get just as much for them and you will save yourself a bunch of time without fiddling with dangerous chemicals and the associated risk. And most likely, the recovery rates will be higher.

And instead of taking payment in cash, if you wish, you should be able to swap your scrap for stuff they were getting ready to put in the furnace anyway, like junk (90%) silver coins or any number of other recognizable pieces - without paying a premium for them.

It really is a hoot to watch the refiner weigh coins, including silver dollars instead of counting them when trading for payment.

Just my 2 cents.

8. SilverBuyer

SilverBuyer Silver Member Silver Miner

Great post D-Fenz! One thing I would add is don't send silver dollars to the refiner!

D-FENZ likes this.
  9. searcher

How to easily recover gold from scrap computer chips
    LifeBuzzN

Published on Dec 29, 2013
    Part 1: In this video I'm recovering gold from computer Memory Chips (RAM). Use this process to get gold from scrap computer parts.
    DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME.

10. searcher

How to Easily Refine & Smelt Gold from Computer Memory Chips
    LifeBuzzN

Published on Jan 13, 2014
    Part 2 video on how to take the gold from computer chips and refine it to a more pure metal and smelt it. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.

11. searcher

How to easily recover gold from scrap computer chips - Purity Test
    LifeBuzzN

Published on Sep 1, 2014
    Part 3. In this video, I'm doing a purity test on the gold I recovered from the computer memory chips.

12. searcher

13. searcher

Precious Metal Refining Episode 1: Getting The Lead Out
    Cody'sLab

Published on Feb 11, 2016
    I take my bead into acid and then bring it back.

14. searcher

15. searcher

Full Server Tower Scrap for Gold Recovery
    eWaste Ben

Published on Jan 28, 2016
    Server towers are big and heavy, a lot of the weight is in the steel tower itself so when buying scrap server towers you need to take that into account, server blades are different, they usually have larger motherboards and weight less in steel.

visit www.scrapforum.com.au to chat about all aspects of scrap metal &

16. searcher

Gold Recovery With Bleach Computer Scrap Pentium Pro CPU
    sreetips

Published on Dec 3, 2016
    How to recover and refine computer scrap with hydrochloric acid, bleach, hydrogen peroxide, and Stump Out - NO NITRIC ACID

17. searcher

Copper Pancake from Scrap Copper Wire
    eWaste Ben

Published on Dec 30, 2016
    Copper Pancakes from scrap copper wire are a fun little project i'm trying out, basically to use as plates to engrave pictures onto if I can get them flat enough.

This was my first attempt at pouring a copper pancake and was surprised at how easily the cast iron pan cracked, will definitely need a better quality pan and more copper next time.

oh well, it was a fun experiment.

18. searcher

Scrapping a PDA - Mio P550
    eWaste Ben

Published on Jan 3, 2017
    PDA's are in a way old technology now with cell phones doing everything they do and more so expect to find these being thrown out now.

Here I got a bunch from a recent e-waste pick-up, mostly new in box but a couple were used so I took a look inside

19. searcher

Copper Boobies - Sexy Copper Ingots
    eWaste Ben

Published on Jan 11, 2017
    Copper Ingots are starting to become a hobby of mine, scrap copper wire is abundant so i'm pouring lots of different kind of ingots.

Here I tried to use another cast iron mold, the last video on copper pancakes cracked the cheap modern cast iron pan but this vintage muffin tray held up well.

Keep scrapping!

20. searcher

Gold Chips from Computer Mice
    eWaste Ben

Published on Jan 6, 2017
    Gold recovery items come from all sorts of electronics, Here I open up some computer mice for their circuit board which usually have a gold ic chip type thing with gold legs and gold bonding wires inside.

Not bad if you compare them to regular dip ic chips which may or may not have gold inside, well worth busting open all your scrap mice to get these to add to your gold recovery collection.

21. searcher

Scrap Time Trial - Server Blades
    eWaste Ben

Published on Feb 4, 2017
    Scrap Time Trials are to see how long it takes to scrap out ten of the same item freestyle.

Time trial #2.. 10 Server Blades = 45 Minutes

Some may find it helpful to use the times for their recycling business plan, to get a rough idea on time to process e-waste items allows you to plan a balance of low value items and high value items.

22. searcher

Scrap Time Trial - PC Towers
    eWaste Ben

Published on Feb 17, 2017
    Scrap Time Trials are to see how long it takes to scrap out ten of the same item freestyle.

Time trial #3.. 10 PC Towers = 33 Minutes

Some may find it helpful to use the times for their recycling business plan, to get a rough idea on time to process e-waste items allows you to plan a balance of low value items and high value items.

23. searcher

Casting Aluminium Bars from Scrap
    eWaste Ben

Published on Feb 10, 2017
    First go at Casting Aluminium Ingots from scrap cast aluminium hard drive caddies.

These electric melting furnaces are a bit overkill for melting aluminium, more suited to gold, silver & copper but for me it's the easiest way to melt, just plug & play.

Here's the model and main supplier if you want the spec's of the furnace, for melting Aluminium alone it's best to make a homemade furnace.. https://wholesaler.alibaba.com/produc...

24. searcher

Precious Metal Refining & Recovery, Episode 17: Teeth
    Cody'sLab

Published on Feb 17, 2017
    I extract gold and palladium from gold dental scrap.
    Help me make videos by donating here: https://www.patreon.com/CodysLab

25. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I gotta gets me some new teefus.

26. searcher

Pentium Pro Scrap PC Score!
    eWaste Ben

Published on Mar 2, 2017
    Gold Recovery from many ceramic CPU's has become the last resort these days because it's hard to find old scrap computers and the value of the cpu's to collectors & restorers far exceed the gold recovery value.

The SL-65A motherboard and slot cards in nice condition are worth more than scrap value and with less available on the market, I think they are well worth keeping safe for years to come.

I was surprised to see the Pentium Pro label on the tower when I brought it back, it was part of a mixed lot of e-waste I picked up from a regular client.

Keep scrapping & have fun!

27. searcher

Ericsson Servers for gold recovery
    eWaste Ben

Published on Mar 10, 2017
    These Ericsson Servers have a mix of boards from mid grade right up to telecom grade boards.

Here I take a look at some of the boards and speak about what I think of the boards for gold recovery value.

I sell the lower grade boards and only depopulate the telecom grade boards which have lots of high end BGA chips.

28. searcher

Weatherman likes this.
  29. searcher

Copper Bar Sales on eBay update
    eWaste Ben

Published on Mar 21, 2017
    Hand poured copper ingots seem to sell over time, so far i've sold 1 copper bar but I think if I had a larger inventory of sizes they would sell much quicker.

Aluminium bars don't seem so popular, mostly because postage is as much as the bar is, so unless someone had a very specific need for aluminium bars, I can't see them selling well and probably not worth the effort.

I will stick with copper bars and am slowly producing a larger inventory of bars from scrap copper wire to sell.