1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Golfers keep getting injured, and they're not sure what to do about it

Discussion in 'Golf, Football, and all Ball sports' started by Scorpio, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Golfers keep getting injured, and they're not sure what to do about it

[​IMG]
    By: Luke Kerr-Dineen | April 13, 2016 3:35 pm

HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. — Jim Furyk started this week’s RBC Heritage by hitting a ceremonial drive into the ocean. It’s the tournament’s long-standing tradition to have the defending champion start the week that way, but this year, it also marks the only golf shot that the 22nd-ranked golfer will hit all week.

Furyk announced this February that a bone contusion in his left wrist would keep him out for more than three months, and he’s not the only golfer on the sidelines. A few weeks earlier PGA Tour player John Peterson announced he, too, was sitting out most (if not all) of the season because of an injury. About a month after Furyk’s announcement golfer Pat Perez said he was out for the rest of the season after needing labrum surgery. And then there’s Tiger Woods, who skipped the 2016 Masters with an ongoing back injury.

Injuries are becoming a bigger concern for players on the PGA Tour. Among the reasons is the sheer number of events players play nowadays, exacerbated by the PGA Tour’s new slate of fall-season tournaments, which the tour introduced in 2013.

Critics of this will point to the heavy schedules of likes of Jack Nicklaus — who played 22 events in 1970 — though it’s also worth noting that the amount of tournaments he played steadily decreased since then and that he, too, later suffered from a hip injury. Schedules nowadays also require more travel, which takes a greater toll on the body.

“I lost 11 pounds [during the WGC Match Play], went from 190 pounds to 179 pounds because of the golf we play, and how much stress it puts you through,” Jason Day said, who suffered a back injury during that event.

“It’s part of my life and I have to keep it that way because if don’t you’ll see me have a lot more withdrawals because of that,” he said. “I change my nutrition, change the way I train, change the way I go about my daily routine, just to extend the longevity of my career.”

[​IMG]
    (Getty)

Golfers are also swinging harder than ever before in an attempt to hit the ball longer, which is putting their bodies under more strain than in the past.

“It’s like hitting a car at 100 miles an hour onto the left side of your body every day,” said Kevin Kisner, who has struggled with a back injury since 2010. “I got a team together to come up with the best ways to prevent it, the best exercises to strengthen it.”

[​IMG]
    (GEtty)

Working out and excessive bulking-up, in many people’s minds, contributes to this phenomenon, though pros are quick to dismiss this line of criticism. Tiger Woods has repeatedly, as has Rory McIlroy amid concerns he was working out too much.

Swinging harder, bulking up, playing more; the truth is these are all part of problem, and pros are increasingly fine not being part of the solution. They obviously don’t want to get injured, but it’s also in their interest to play (and win) across the world. It’s in their interest to hit the ball far, because there are plenty of statisticians out there insist that’s a proven model to shooting lower scores more often.

Pros don’t want to get injured, but they also want to maximize the peak of their careers. If that means less golf when towards the tail end, then that’s a deal some are willing to make.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/04/golfers-keep-getting-injured-and-theyre-not-sure-what-to-do-about-it

BarnacleBob likes this.
  2. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Pulease. Let's see how long they last skating for the Stanley Cup.

3. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

Just shows how pussified males are nowdays.
    If you hurt yourself participating in a non sport where you stand around walk a little and never break a sweat, paint your nails Nancy you are a sissy.

andial and GOLDZILLA like this.
  4. lumpOgold

lumpOgold Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Oh, poor babies. Over the weekend I had to clear a bunch of fallen timber and buck it up for my stove and fireplace, then drive 3 hours home to strip and bleach the redwood to get it ready for restaining this weekend. And then I worked all week!
    These whiners need to get in frickin' shape! instead of sipping girly drinks at night and then "playing" golf the next day.

5. BarnacleBob

BarnacleBob GIM Founding Member & Mod. Founding Member Site Mgr Site Supporter

Lets consider that there are literally millions of golfers that aspire to play on the various professional circuits around the world... out of these millions, there are probably only about 5000 that possess the entire package to truly play the role of a professional golfer.

The "package" includes mental, physical, and natural abilities all fine tuned to become an elite pro... This makes the heirarchy of the 5000 even tougher... when whittled down from millions to 5000, there are prolly only about 500 in the entire world that are truly the elite of the elite....

It starts by hitting balls at age 5 - 8, ascends thru the developing years to adolescence, which by this time the young golfer has prolly hit tens of thousands of golf balls... Adolesence brings about the competitive spirit, hitting ever harder & longer, adding ever more swings at the practice range where they locally become known as "range rats."

They will then play on the high school golf teams then move onto college teams... by this time they are now accumulating not tens of thousands but have moved into hundreds of thousands of swings....

Their next move if they continue with this career path is qualifying & playing the pro-am....

I am familiar with and associated with several semi-pro golfers that have been thru what amounts to a "churn & burn." The pressures are incredible as they watch their dreams of being an elite golfer collapse.... The remnants of these dreams can be found in pro-shops around the world as teaching pro's, etc....

Drugs,, alcoholism, divorce, car wrecks & various other injuries & physical ailments combined with bad decisions & lack of financial means terminate many of these aspirations to be an elite golfer... much akin to aspiring footballers & baseballers, etc.... I know this to be true as I have known some top notch golfers that had these dreams.

And like all pro sports age works against the player... A golfer comes into his prime around 23 yrs old and he may be capable of competing at this level for 10 yrs before the next group of 23 somethings with their dreams begin competing against them....

As their age increases and physical abilities degenerate they begin attempting to try to cheat mother nature thru various methods to retain their elite capabilities.... they may be able to extend for a few years but at what cost? The cost comes from mental fatigue & physical injuries. The inevitable occurs, the 23 somethings begin the replacement process, and no amount of physical conditioning or practice can overcome inevitability.

How many balls have these guys hit by the time they are 32 - 33 yrs old.... hundreds of thousands, maybe even in the million(s)???

Of course they are going to suffer injuries by the sheer "repeating" numbers of physical motions, over & over & over... and in many cases just one wrong move will cause injury, while others just over time grind down on cartilage joints, vertibrae discs, neck, wrists, shoulder, ankle, knee & hip joints.... its really a wonder they even endure as long as they do....

6. Joseph

Joseph Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

slacker
    I love it. you stand in the grass, while some hireling does all your heavy lifting for you. you hold out your hand and he places the club in it for you. you hit the ball, hand the club back to your boy, then climb in a cart and are chauffeured a couple hundred yards to where you hit your ball. it's a tough life, Mary Beth.

7. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

They're all volunteers, aren't they? NEXT!!!

8. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

All sports should be banned just like guns, too many people getting hurt, only checkers and chess will be allowed.

9. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Not chess ... it's discriminatory against stupid people.

10. BarnacleBob

BarnacleBob GIM Founding Member & Mod. Founding Member Site Mgr Site Supporter

Geez, I thought you were gonna say chess is discriminatory & racial! LOL

11. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Man these guys are really risking it all! heroic's on the fairways!