1. TGIF with a holiday in the US on the horizon for Mon. Gold and Silver pulling back this am with gold down 7.9 to 1239 and silver at 15.72 down .07. Oil catching a bid this am at 27.33 and +1.12, while the US Dollar is up slightly.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Need more resources for the Industry Links. Have some guns/ammo, preps, pm dealers, and charts, but need more to make it a go to resource and replace bookmarks. Please send me a conversation with your ideas for others we should add. TIA. Together we will make it a great resource.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 2/13/16 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1239.40 Up 81.70-- Silver $15.79 Up 99 ct-- Oil $29.44 DOWN 1.45-- USD $95.98 DOWN 1.07-- Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE $1298.09 (1), SAE $19.12 (20)
  4. Please use the following for log on: www.goldismoney2.com We have moved to a new server. Please reset bookmark accordingly
  5. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

Good dog for living on a rural property?

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by bluesky99, Aug 11, 2011.

1. bluesky99

bluesky99 Silver Member Silver Miner

Soon I hope to be moving to a more rural area, and want to get a 2-3 medium-sized or large dogs.

Can any GIM'ers provide some recommendations for a good choice of breed, and maybe why that choice?

In case it matters, I plan to have chickens and goats and possibly other animals on the property. Would want the dogs for protection, as an "alarm", and for companionship.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
    Nickelless likes this.
  2. mtnman

mtnman Gold Member Gold Chaser

Self Employed Ex-shipyard Machinist
    Go to the dog pound, pick out a couple of young dogs with long floppy ears and big feet, the longer the better. These are Hounds of some sort. Great alarm dogs and easy to care for. Mutt hounds almost always make the best all around dog and dog pound rescues seem to know you saved them from the gas chamber and are most appreciative. They show it with loyalty. It's not too hard to train your dog that the other animals are part of the "Pack" and not toys or food.

iGrok, LukeNM, Argentsum and 2 others like this.
  3. smilershouse

smilershouse Gold Member Gold Chaser

My choice, a German Shepard

SH

Not Sure, MoMoney and bluesky99 like this.
  4. HistoryStudent

HistoryStudent Midas Member Midas Member

Great logic...

Nothing like a good LOYAL dog....

HS

MoMoney likes this.
  5. MoMoney

MoMoney Seeker Seeker

My pics in no particular order: German Shepherd, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Anatolian Shepherd (<--but do a lot of research about the breed first), Rottweiller, Dobie.

I have an extremely aggressive 80 lb. Standard Poodle (yes, the black ones tend to be) and the scary thing about them is they tend to :hahaha: out-think people...too smart.

German Shepherds are fantastic and loyal but shed a bit which could be a problem if one of your family has an allergy. They are great family dogs.

Ridgebacks are not for the faint of heart or for amateur owners as they might challenge your position in the "pack". The same and more could be said for Anatolian Shepherds.

You might want to look into Irish Wolfhounds, Scottish Deerhounds, and Great Pyrenees too.

Hope this helps. :bussi:

bluesky99 likes this.
  6. cbear

cbear New Member

Border Collie. Smart as they come and it will herd your critters so they don't wander off.

7. honu5050

honu5050 Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

nunya
    a bloodhound .

bluesky99 likes this.
  8. Not Sure

Not Sure Banned

Alsatian/German Shepherd, hands down.

Smart, tough, and nice to your family. There's a reason it's the most popular breed for security worldwide.

MoMoney and bluesky99 like this.
  9. bluesky99

Not Sure, my thanks button disappeared; I think I reached my quota for the day. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

Not Sure likes this.
  10. funk

funk Seeker Seeker

I have an English Mastiff and she has proven to be the most loyal and well behaved dog I have ever owned. They were originally bread to hunt bears, so you average human is of little concern.

bluesky99 likes this.
  11. Brio

Brio Beer Babe! Midas Member

Lots of good suggestions, great dogs. Can I suggest what you shouldn't get? Avoid spitz types (husky, chow chow, karelian,) with the tightly curled tail and double coat. They run unless fenced in or tied and will pack up and chase livestock. Affectionate happy smart but have little care for obeying any command and will rarely come when called unless intensly well trained. I'd go with German shepards or mix with shepard in, no better guard dog imo.

MoMoney and bluesky99 like this.
  12. hoarder

hoarder Banned

If you live in the South avoid long haired dogs, If you live in the North avoid short haired dogs. If you live in wolf country, avoid dogs that look like wolves (German Sheperd), they may get shot the first time they wander. If you are going to have chickens around, avoid bird dog breeds.
    You can look up the characteristics of each breed:
    http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/breeds/

bluesky99 and Nickelless like this.
  13. GodspeedMetals

GodspeedMetals Gold Member Gold Chaser

Australian cattle dog

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
    MoMoney, bluesky99 and Lugnutzpop like this.
  14. Striker

Striker Seeker Seeker

As a pastured chicken farmer, in addition to raising goats and cows we have had our best luck with the Great Pyrenees which is known as a Livestock Guardian Dog. Also, Anatolian Shepherds are very similar. We have one Pyrenees and one Pyrenees / Anatolian mix. Great dogs. This is not just my experience but most of the farmers in my area that raise pastured livestock have similar breeds simply based on results.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pyrenees

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatolian_Shepherd_Dog

Let me strongly point out that the dog will only be as good as your training. Pyrenees and Anatolian have livestock guarding and herding tendencies BUT you need to encourage them. Our dogs slept with the chickens and goats from day one. They were immersed in their environment. Like wise you should walk your dogs (as they get old enough) along your borders frequently creating an expectation that they are to patrol and not be lazy porch dogs.

On the end of the day, we all have opinions - so there's mine ;)

Striker

Solo, bluesky99 and GodspeedMetals like this.
  15. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Mother Lode

Lab mutts are fantastic dogs, best dog I ever had was a black lab springer spaniel mix.

Smart, tough, loyal without the big dog diseases like displacia, arthritis and cancer.

16. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford Midas Member Midas Member

wastewater
    Every German Shepard I have been around (either by owning or via neighbors and friends) have eventually turned mean and sneaky. I would not trust a shepard as far as I could throw them. We have owned two (along with labs, boxers and mutts) and they were the only two dogs that we have owned that "turned" on us. Don't need to warn me about them a third time.

They might be great for that one time that you really need to be warned about something. But the 99% of the time that friends and family are at the house, I want to be able to trust my dog around them.

17. birddog

birddog Gold Member Gold Chaser

Check out Shiloh shepherds. Lady in new York is working on bringing back the RinTinTin style German shepherd. Bigger, smarter and more family focused. Their temperament is a bit softer and they don't make good police and military dogs. But they will do anything to protect their pack. AND they are being bred for great hips which is a huge problem in the GSD.

My avitar. She is 80 pounds, very family focused and the best dog I've EVER owned. Her penHip measurements were .27 on both sides which is almost unheard of in a big dog. It's awesome seeing her stand in the window at the front door looking strangers in the eye.....

I can not say enough good about this breed.....

Since it is a breed in development there is a main registry, ISSR, and others that have splintered off. Stick with ISSR - those are the ones AKC will eventually recognize.

Males need to be 29 in at the shoulder and weigh 100- 130 pounds. Females must be 26 in and weigh 80-120.

http://www.newzionshilohs.org/home.htm

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
    Not Sure likes this.
  18. pre-64'

pre-64' Slaying Debt for Gold Gold Chaser

Show Tennessee who is boss. :bear_cool:

lg_artwork.jpg

19. birddog

birddog Gold Member Gold Chaser

Here is one of the top males....

Laz....
    Laz1.jpg

The longer coat comes from her first outcrossing, it was 3/4 GSD and 1/4 malamute. That one outcross helped the hips more than anything else.....

20. CiscoKid

CiscoKid They all look good through beer goggles... Gold Chaser

Engineer / Business owner
    I live in the country and have goats (in addition to cattle, horses, a donkey, and pigs). Started to have some coyotes coming around and bought a Kuvasz. Livestock guardian dog. Once they bond with your livestock and your family nothing much is going to mess with it. He sleeps on the porch in front of the front door and keeps himself between my wife and anyone he doesn't know. Very low key but I wouldn't want to try to hurt anything he regards as his to protect. No amount of cold can bother them. The Jack Russell Terrier is the brains of the bunch. She sleeps on my bed at night with one eye open and knows if anyone is around. She also keeps the mice population down in the barn. I believe the two make a good team for my particular needs.

Attached Files:

21. newmisty

newmisty Duppy Conqueror Midas Member

Wow, read this about the Englich Mastif. on wiki:

Record size
    The greatest weight ever recorded for a dog was an English Mastiff, 343 pounds (156 kg), was from England named Aicama Zorba of La Susa, although claims of larger dogs exist.[3] According to the 1989 edition of the Guinness Book of Records, in March 1989, when he was 7 years old, Zorba stood 35 inches (89 cm) at the shoulder and was 8.25 feet (251 cm) from the tip of his nose to the tip of his tail, about the size of a small donkey.[4] After 2000, the Guinness Book of World Records stopped accepting largest or heaviest pet records.

22. jogslvr

jogslvr Gold Miser Gold Chaser

23. bluesky99

Wow, I was just going to submit a post asking an opinion about this breed. From what I read, it sounds like a great rural dog as long as you establish yourself as the dominant one.

24. Etheostoma

Etheostoma New Member

American Bulldog. Best breed I have owned. Intelligent, loyal, obedient, and scary looking.
    I too have no trust when it comes to German Shepherds I have been bitten by 3 dogs in my life, all 3 were German Shepherds. I was an invited guest. In fact last week I worked on a farm with a shepherd, and I kept my handgun on my person all week. Probably would not have gotten paid if I had to shoot the homeowners dog, thankfully she warned us before she would let the dog out to pee. That was our cue to take a break.

25. jogslvr

jogslvr Gold Miser Gold Chaser

They are definitely a one man dog but great protectors of that man's property as well. They will protect children and livestock and are excellent guard dogs. I've owned this breed and was well pleased.

26. TemplarX

TemplarX Silver Member Silver Miner

I have always found Labrador Retrievers, German Shepherds, and any of the various Hounds, or mixes of those breeds, to be great outdoor/rural dogs (all intelligent and of good disposition around children/family).:smile::cool:

bluesky99 likes this.
  27. DodgebyDave

DodgebyDave Metal Messiah Midas Member

Chow Chow. Period.

1) The dog will bond to you and ignore everyone else. Around here the security dog gestapo have started training the Belgians, Shepard's etc to commands in German or even french to prevent perps from shouting conflicting commands, leading to several officers being bitten.

2) Natural born hunting dog. Can take down a deer, leave a pile of rabbits at your door AND scare the hell out of a gobberment man.

3) Raptor Smart. You could look at him and tell he was working things out. He liked to lay up under the mini barn and ambush.

4) Judge of character. If B didn't like you, I didn't like you. If he was indifferent to you, you can stay. Almost everyone he didn't like ended up in jail for stealing at some point or another.

5) Memory. A friend made a bad mistake, left his dog with some friends for a week. Came home and he could tell the dog was "different". As it turned out, these "friends" spent a week beating Seymore with a stick while he was caged. Not smart. Before Seymore died, he bit all 6 of those bastards and broke the ring leaders arm quite badly.

6) If I wasn't home, You were not going to break in or sneak in.

Now, The Bad

1) The dog will bond to you and no one else. For example, BB was indifferent to my GF, basically ignored her. A very close friend came over to borrow a tool, B cornered him in the Garage for 3 hours. Seymore pinned Dale's parents in THEIR bedroom for 2 hours.
    It isn't so much as guarding for master, it's that when "master" isn't around THEY ARE MASTER.

2) Eyelashes can curl under requiring surgery

3) Chows require a cool dry space for storage. B would quit eating when it was over 90*. Likes water, hates getting the feet wet. Baths are out of the question. Brushing was tolerated to a certain extent.

4) Stupid cousin left the back gate open, dog got out. I wouldn't call it a runaway, he put down roots in a big field next to an industrial park (lots of rabbits and squirrels to harvest). We took out an ad in the paper, figured 500 in reward would generate leads.

Sure did! For the next 3 months I had thousands of calls, but nobody could produce a captured dog. County Animal Control gave up, asked that if we ever caught him to let them know so they could close it out. I finally did catch him, when I got close enough for him to see and smell me he came right over and jumped in the car. GF still hasn't stopped cussing that dog.

5) Chows will bite. Not a matter of if. They will bite someone. There is always a fool that doesn't understand "don't mess with the dog. He tolerates me because I feed him. To him, you are food. Get it?"

6) DO NOT get your child a chow. Barnie gave his son a chow chow, boy and dog and poetry etc. Except you could no longer discipline the child without dealing with an ill tempered eating machine that has a knack for ambush revenge that can break your arm without breaking skin. That chow was just plain bad, I'd have shot him myself.

7) Some of them are just wired wrong in the brain and worthless for anything.

A bad one there is no dog worse, a good one and there is no dog better.

Nevermind. Especially around chickens. Don't get a chow!

bluesky99 likes this.
  28. Merkin

Merkin Seeker Seeker

Striker has the best: I have 5 dogs and none bother my chickens. My guardians, the Great Pyranees, live with the goats and are very protective. A stranger once ask of my barking and growling dogs, "do those dogs bite?" I said not unless you get out of your car. I would suggest the Anatolian/Great Pyrenees cross as the best rural dog ever.

bluesky99 likes this.
  29. goldie40

goldie40 Silver Member Silver Miner

Our labs have always served us very good.They're friendly and also protective at the same time, they'll bark and growl at strangers for a time and then relax, but if there are any fast moves, they'll be all over the person.

bluesky99 likes this.
  30. Not Sure

Not Sure Banned

The people involved are the problem, not the dogs...either the breeder, owner, and/or those they're interacting with.

I would trust a German Shepherd of my own with my life and the lives of my family, including little ones. If an a-hole owns a Shepherd, then the dog has a great likelihood of being a canine a-hole.

31. Nickelless

Nickelless If coffee is gold, I own Fort Knox Midas Member

Maybe so, but I still keep one hand on my Glock whenever I see a pit bull

MoMoney likes this.
  32. northfarmer

northfarmer Seeker Seeker

We live in a rural environment with lots of wild creatures passing through.

Our great pyranees is excellent at dealing with things and is even smart enough to stay away from skunks and only bark.

He brings in coyote carcasses after a long night of patrolling.

Does an ok job of barking and intimidating strangers,but would not trust him to actually do anything.

Boxers on the other hand have and will take on human threats with great enthusiasm.

True story,decades ago,an escaped mental patient was hiding in our trees stalking my young aunt who was home alone,
    she noticed him,got into the house,called the police,he tried to get in and the dog went NUTS.he left and the police showed up
    but where still unable to enter the house.

So my thinking is indoor pitbull,outdoor anatolian/shepard or pyranees.

When a show down comes the pitbull will do the right thing and the rest of the pack will join in.

33. namwalker

namwalker Seeker Seeker

I have a little bit different recommendation.

Since you say that you are going to have or want chickens on your property bring in some Guinea hens. Once they get established, there is nothing going to be betting within 200 yards without you knowing it, especially at night while they are roosting. But read up on their care and requirements before you go this route. Their alarm call will wake the dead within a might fair distance. Another sentry bird would be geese, but they need their wings clipped and if they are clipped could not get away from either coyotes or wolves (that's a serious drawback). Roman Legions used to keep geese as sentries.

As far as dogs are concerned, three would be plenty. You will need as small energetic dog (Jack Russell) to raise the alarm for the other dogs to come take care of business. A good working dog cannot be overlooked. The AKC has a list of them and they are rather intimidating at times to people who are not supposed to be there. A Rhodesian Ridgeback or two (males) can be real intimidating. They are a natural pack animal and will keep coyotes and wolves at bay. The final addition would be a true guard dog. Kuvas (spelling), Anatolian Shepherd, Great Pyrennes, Neopolitian Mastiff, or for that matter any of the mastiff will keep your property clear of unwanted guests.

Other protection dogs (not for the weak willed) would be the Brasilian Mastiff, Japanese Torsa (Japanese War dogs), Akita, or Canary Island Mastiff. You have to know dogs and train them well. The canary Island Mastiff (Impresso Canaria) is more for a real experienced dog handler and trainer. All these dogs will not back down from a threat and need socialization and some form of training. A friend of mine had a Torsa and as a 6 month puppy would not step back from a Rottweiller threatening his master. The puppy had some scratches but the Rottweiller left in a hurry. He was extremely loyal.

A suitable pound rescue dog will give yeoman service and will be loyal no matter the size or breed. I do think that they know what you have saved them from. I have three from the pound and over the years I have taken a total of 8 home with me at one time or another and have never regretted a decision. The three that I have now each has their role in the household. The small one (Beagle/Basingi mix) is the hard wired for alarm service, the large one (Akita/Rottweiller mix) acts as the enforcer, and the medium dog (hound/Pointer mix) will come running for backup if needed. They look out for each other and will protect the house if needed. The UPS driver or Pizza delivery people are not amused by these dogs greeting them at the door.

You have an interesting time in front of you in selecting your pack. Keep you options open, dogs will be surprise and entertain you.

MoMoney and newmisty like this.
  34. Silverstone

Silverstone Seeker

German Shepherd.

We've had them as kids and adults, keep coming back for more :) Great rural/family dogs if well adjusted/bred. Easily trained, smart, loyal, protective. Check out the GSD rescues, sometimes they have some really nice purebreds up for
    adoption (young) that have been temperament tested/vet checked. Our next one will come from a rescue.

Get a pair/female-male. They'll keep the coyotes and other critters away, keep each other company when the family is gone and can better guard your place.

I like collies too (smart) but dang, too energetic for me, they never slow down, talk about energizer bunnies. I get tired watching them! The Shepherds always matched our tempo., when we were active, they were, when we were couch potatoes, they were. The collies I've known, they were game 24/7, too much dog for me, too energetic.

We had a Gordon Setter Hunting Dog (the hunting type not the show type) great hunting dog, but SHE NEVER SLOWED DOWN!!!! I told my DH, NO MORE HUNTING DOGS! Oh, and chewed up everything too....always something in her mouth.
    Sweet dog though. Just couldn't keep her in the yard, 6 foot fence and all...she went hunting for herself one day, never came back...I would NOT recommend a hunting dog unless you LIVE to hunt, because THEY DO.

German Shepherd....absolutely hands down for rural living.

Not Sure and MoMoney like this.
  35. namwalker

namwalker Seeker Seeker

+ your kids

36. CopperSilverGold

CopperSilverGold Silver Member Silver Miner

Ok time for the real job - district manager for na
    How ignorant. I've seen plenty of "friendly" breeds that have gone bad because of poor training and bad owners. I have also seen plenty of extremely friendly and social pit bulls who were brought up and trained the right way. It's people like you with your fear mongering that cause things like breed specific legislation to ban entire breeds from cities when in reality the problem lies with humans and not the inherent qualities of the breed itself.

37. MoMoney

MoMoney Seeker Seeker

NotSure: As a person involved heavily into the world of showdogs, breeding, AKC, rescue......I must tell you that man has throughout the ages purposely wielded his way with certain breeds and perpetuated certain qualities genetically. To underestimate man's impact on breeds when it comes to how they are "hard-wired" is, in my opinion, quite naive. Sorry.

38. MoMoney

MoMoney Seeker Seeker

Here he is studying for his SAT's ---Ha!

Attached Files:

39. Silver001

Silver001 New Member

I have 2 English Mastiff's both male, one is 5 years old the other is his son at 8 weeks. The Dad weights 160 pounds and pays attention to everything that goes on in the neighborhood at night when he barks the neighbors call wanting to know whats up due to a house that was broken into while the owner was on vacation. The dog knew something was going on but I ingored him and told him to be quite now the whole place wants to know what is up when he barks at night. Easy to train show him something once and he has got it.

MoMoney likes this.
  40. Not Sure

Not Sure Banned

You are utterly clueless if you think of German Shepherds as a "vicious breed." Can a German Shepherd be raised mean? Yes! Can a pit bull be raised friendlier? Yes!