1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Gun control: California Senate passes sweeping new restrictions on firearms owners

Discussion in 'U.S. Constitution & Law' started by southfork, May 19, 2016.

1. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Gun control: California Senate passes sweeping new restrictions on firearms owners
    By Jessica Calefati
    jcalefati@bayareanewsgroup.com
    Posted: 05/19/2016 10:28:26 AM PDT | Updated: about 6 hours ago

[​IMG]
    State Sen. Isadore Hall III, D-Compton, left, gives a thumbs up as the "bullet button" bill he and Sen. Steven Glazer,D-Orinda, right, authored was approved by the Senate, May 19, 2016. (Rich Pedroncelli / AP)
    Related Stories
    SACRAMENTO -- Responding to last year's deadly terrorist attack on San Bernardino and other mass shootings, the state Senate this morning approved a package of sweeping gun-control legislation.

The Senate approved measures that would regulate the sale of ammunition, make several changes to the assault weapons ban lawmakers passed almost two decades ago and close a loophole that allows anyone to borrow a gun for up to 30 days without background checks. Democrats acted over the objections of Republicans, who argued that the new rules would unfairly punish law-abiding gun owners.

Senate President Pro Tem Kevin de León, D-Los Angeles, hopes to use the Senate's actions today to create momentum in the Capitol that helps carry the bills through the Assembly and to Gov. Jerry Brown's desk as soon as next week. Swift success, he hopes, will convince Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom to yank an initiative from the November ballot that tackles many of the same problems the legislation addresses.

"Hiram Johnson's vision for empowering citizens didn't involve burying citizens with an avalanche of initiatives," de León said of the California governor credited with creating the state's cherished system of direct democracy almost a century ago. "This is a common sense approach."

Advertisement

But none of it will be easy. Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon, D-Lakewood, D-Paramount, has not yet endorsed de León's strategy, the governor's position on the gun legislation remains uncertain and Newsom has vowed not to pull his measure from the ballot no matter what the Legislature does.

Legislation authored by de León in 2009 regulated the sale of ammunition, but a judge later ruled that its definition of ammunition was too vague to enforce.

De León's Senate Bill 1235 and Assembly Bill 156, authored by Assemblyman Kevin McCarty, D-Sacramento, seek to remedy the problem by defining ammunition as "one or more loaded cartridges consisting of a primer case, propellant and with one or more projectiles."

The Senate approved both measures on a 24-15 vote.

Sen. Jeff Stone, R-Riverside, insisted that the bills would do nothing to deter criminals from obtaining ammunition, and he noted that Brown has already vetoed a similar piece of legislation.

"They'll go to the black market to buy their ammunition," Stone said. "I'm going to stand with the Second Amendment. I urge a no vote."

Senate Bill 880, authored by Sens. Isadore Hall, D-South Bay, and Steve Glazer, D-Walnut Creek, and Assembly Bill 1135, authored by Assemblymen Marc Levine, D-Marin County, and Phil Ting, D-San Francisco, seek to modify the assault weapons ban to effectively prohibit "bullet buttons."

Aiming to work around current law, which bans long-guns with detachable magazines, firearms manufacturers began selling "California compliant" assault weapons with recessed buttons that allow users to instantly detach a magazine by pressing it with the tip of a bullet or another small tool.

The Senate approved these measures on a 24-14 vote.

California's assault weapons ban has been on the books for close to two decades now, and it banned the importation, manufacture and sale of large-capacity ammunition magazines. It did not, however, place any restrictions on possession of high-capacity magazines.

Senate Bill 1446, authored by Sen. Loni Hancock, D-Berkeley, would prohibit possession of ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. San Francisco, Sunnyvale and Los Angeles have already passed local ordinances that make possession of large-capacity magazines a misdemeanor. The Senate approved the measure on a 22-15 vote.

The final two bills the Senate approved this morning are Senate Bill 1407, authored by de León, and Assembly Bill 857, authored by Assemblyman Jim Cooper, D-Elk Grove, which aim to eliminate the proliferation in recent years of so-called "ghost guns," which are manufactured at home from parts that don't have serial numbers and can't be traced by law enforcement officials when they're used to commit crimes.

The measure would require anyone who manufactures a gun at home to apply to the state Department of Justice for a unique serial number and engrave or permanently affix the number to that firearm within 10 days. The Senate approved those two measures on a 24-14 vote.

searcher likes this.
  2. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    "This is a common sense approach."

Whenever I see these words being spoken I know where the article is going

Joseph likes this.
  3. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Anyone signing onto this should be swinging in the breeze from the nearest tree.

4. solarion

solarion Gold Member Gold Chaser

Well lessee, if governor moonbeam signs this crap it will deter law abiding citizens from possessing clips with more than ten rounds and it may even discourage law abiding folk from making custom weapons in their machine shops or on 3D printers. Criminals on the other hand will, as usual, not give a rip...because they're criminals.

TimoneX, Treetop, Uglytruth and 2 others like this.
  5. REO 54

REO 54 Midas Member Midas Member

.....and a new black market is created....

Also, they are going after 80% lowers too.

The death of Liberty and Freedom by a thousand laws & regulations.

6. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    We have enough to worry about ...I don't think 80% lowers are at the top of the list

7. REO 54

According this its on the top of their list.....

8. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

I've said it before...any honest, freedom-loving person living there should move....PERIOD! Get out now while property values have made a come-back if you need to sell and just move.

REO 54 likes this.
  9. REO 54

I'll have my relatives from Walnut Creek visiting here shortly. I'll get a perspective from them about living there.....as conservatives no less!

10. the_shootist

Architect
    Yup, they're closing all the loops