1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Has APMEX turned into a WE BUY Gold oufit?

Discussion in 'Gold Silver (All things Metal)' started by Silver, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Silver

Silver Gold Member Gold Chaser

Sent APMEX an email requesting a buy price on some graded American Eagle Gem Proofs (see pic). Over 24 hours later they responded with an offer of approx. $40 under spot. Sounds like a low ball to me - and I've done 6 figures business with them buying in the past. There were a couple of other items in the request, but the graded proofs are what pissed me off. What do you think? Gold Eagles front.jpg

stonedywankanobe likes this.
  2. Wellsburg

Wellsburg Silver Member Silver Miner

Small Business Owner
    Upstate Coin is paying Spot + $10 per ounce with mint box and COA, and minus $5 per ounce in any slab, so yes, a bit low.

Proof US gold eagles have gone off the cliff recently.

Silver and savvydon like this.
  3. Dude

Dude Midas Member Midas Member

Provident sent me a sales deal for $49 over with mint box and coa for random dates. I get a lot of the 10% ebay buck deals so I snipe and get pre 1933 gold in at least AU for under spot and the occasional slabbed MS61-63 for a little bit over. And yes, I calculate the fact that these coins do not have a full ounce of gold. I don't know what your coins are getting on ebay, but you might want to check.

Silver likes this.
  4. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    that really sux......i have never been a "slabbed" coin buyer and always thought there was a high risk of this sort of situation especially on graded "bullion" type coins ........but i suspect as with all things the market will come/go as always on supply and demand

the_shootist and Silver like this.
  5. savvydon

savvydon Gold Member Gold Chaser

This

Silver likes this.
  6. Silver

I traded for them several years ago, but always thought they were worth at least something over spot, I just wanted to see what APMEX would pay. I ended up selling them to JM Bullion for spot (1349) + 12 - they're on there way right now.

It just pissed me off that APMEX would lowball me after as much business as I've done with them.

And JM Bullion responded in 10 minutes, whereas APMEX was 26 hours later.

ttazzman likes this.
  7. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    APMEX seems to run their business a bit differently than JM.

8. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

I had quite a few of the last 3 years of the silver lunar series from perth mint, they were selling for at least 2 to 3 times melt at the time, they wanted to pay 1.00 over melt.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    gringott likes this.
  9. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

Not defending apmex too much here but that is a highly counterfeited Gold coin, maybe the #1 counterfeited Gold coin in the world and there they are sealed in plastic by who knows who and where. IMO Apmex is taking a huge chance buying them from anybody sight unseen.
    Unless you know exactly what the slab is supposed to weigh and can tare out your scale to weigh the coin I wouldn't buy it either.

Counterfeit modern U.S. gold issues in fake NGC holders with fake labels
    Includes American Eagle, American Buffalo 1-ounce gold issues
    By Paul Gilkes , Coin World
    Published : 03/22/16

Text Size
    [​IMG]

Immediate points that something is amiss with this 2014-W 1-ounce gold American Eagle is that the piece illustrated has Proof surfaces but the grade is for a Mint State coin.
    Images from dealer who wishes to remain anonymous.
    Counterfeit Proof American Eagle and American Buffalo 1-ounce gold $50 coins have been reported in Ohio encapsulated in fake Numismatic Guaranty Corp. plastic holders with counterfeit grading label inserts.

The counterfeits surfaced in the greater Columbus area at a retail coin shop whose owner wishes to remain anonymous.

The dealer reported March 21 that a customer came into his store a few days earlier to sell a purported NGC-certified 2014-W American Eagle 1-ounce gold coin. While the piece initially appeared like any other Proof American Eagle, further examination showed that the encapsulated coin, while exhibiting Proof surfaces, was missing the W Mint mark of the West Point Mint.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/prec...bullion-coins-in-counterfeit-holders.all.html

10. southfork

Im sure apmex tests these coins before they make payment.

11. Irons

Yep, but how many do they have to deal with on a daily basis? They have to pay someone to sort all these fake coins, and then what?
    Send them back to the person who tried to sell them? Call the cops?

My LCS will loan you a pair of tin snips and a paper bag if you want to sell him a commonly counterfeited slabbed coin. It's up to you to get it out.

12. savvydon

savvydon Gold Member Gold Chaser

There is a verifier on the market which can test these coins through the slabs. Apmex won't pay for these coins until they have been received and verified/authenticated. I agree that Apmex is a big company with overhead to pay for. Furthermore, it is absolutely their right to pick their buy and sell spreads. That having been said, these spreads are nowhere near the best in the industry, imo. In the past I have definitely gotten a waft of 'we are who we are, take it or leave it' from them. These days, more often than not, I leave it.

13. southfork

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=gold+coins+copy

Irons likes this.
  14. Irons

15. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Every ounce of bullion I have ever bought have been measurable verifiable coins. I did have a couple of 1oz gold bars in assay, which I haven't tested but have a pretty good degree of confidence in their authenticity based on where I bought them from. Sadly, I did lose all my precious metals in that horrible boating accident. Sad really!!!

jesussaysnope.gif

16. southfork

They even make the old CC morgans in the mint packages

Mujahideen likes this.
  17. Dude

The sigma unit I got on ebay a year ago is still selling there at 759.00. Of course I waited for 10% ebay bucks...
    Works well, even through the slab.

savvydon likes this.
  18. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    This is why I have always bought from APMEX (with very few verified exceptions). I'm not a gambler, I'm just a guy trying to protect some of his wealth!

Son of Gloin, Usury and Mujahideen like this.
  19. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I plan to buy a Sigma unit in the very near future. Since I am a power seller on ebay selling many silver art bars and silver coins, that will come in very handy for me. On certain silver pieces, I usually weigh them and use calipers when it is a coin with official dimensions. There is also a local coin dealer that I have done a lot of business with that has an x-ray gun that will also test gold and silver. If there is a possible issue with a coin then I will take it to him to verify silver content. Since I occasionally sell silver (and gold) pandas, I take those to hime to test before I put them online to sell. I have taken several silver art bars and coins to him to verify silver content before selling on ebay.

20. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor

Those silver lunar coins still sell for 2X - 3X melt. Those seem to hold their value very well IMO.

southfork likes this.
  21. southfork

Speaking of those coin scanners, I was at a coin show one day, guy trying to sell a gold panda, one ouncer. One dealer tested it with the sigma and it said it was fake, dealer next to him tested with the xray gun it said it was real, neither dealer would buy his coin.

Silver Art and Dude like this.
  22. Dude

Good to know. I tested all my stuff. All good.

23. Silver Art

Silver Art Bar Hoor

When in doubt, believe the one that tested it as a fake.

24. Silver

The number one counterfeit coin is the British Sovereign - they've been counterfeited for at least 100 years.
    The Eagles I'm selling came from a large local dealer and the coins have very fine and perfect detail and the PCGS holders are registered, have holograms, and are exactly as they are supposed to be. I've sold others that I got in that same trade to other dealers. I didn't just fall off the truck.

How would APMEX be taking a huge chance with an establish VIP customer, that they don't pay until the goods have been verified?
    I'm not trying to sell them to you.

25. Usury

Usury Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

One time several years ago I contacted several major dealers and asked them how they ensured that their inventory acquired from other than mints was genuine PM. Apmex was the only one to respond with what I considered a good answer, and indicated that they scan all purchases. XRF IIRC.

26. southfork

I would think all dealers today have some sort of scanning device given the large amount of fakes today.

27. newmisty

newmisty Duppy Conqueror Midas Member

Build-a Burger
    APMEX is the shiznit. I walked into their building through security with a box of AU&AG in flip flops and stayed until many of the employees had left. Real nice folks, easy to deal with and no BS. But here's the reason I really can't complain. In case it's hard to read, this is APMEX buy prices they gave me during a sell off in Aug, 2015. This is APMEX BUY PRICES FOR 1OZ SILVER BULLION. Average buy price for listings on this page is $65.66 per troy ounce Ag in Aug. 2015 20180208_203106.jpg