1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

If a single Repub opposes this, the party might as well fold.

Discussion in 'Politics Forum (Local/National/World)' started by ZZZZZ, Feb 12, 2018.

1. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ Seeker

(The Repub party should have folded 40+ years ago when Trickie Dickie took the US off the gold standard, but that's another story...)

If PBS is sooooooooo important, why can't these leeches raise the money voluntarily from the public instead of sticking the bill to the hard-working taxpayers.

Trump proposes eliminating federal funding for PBS, NPR
    [​IMG]
    The Hill

Joe Concha9 hrs ago
    President Trump's newly proposed budget includes a proposal to end federal funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, part of a package that includes $300 billion in new spending overall.

CPB provides federal funding for PBS and National Public Radio stations.

"The Budget proposes to eliminate Federal funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) over a two year period," according to the proposal.

"CPB grants represent a small share of the total funding for the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) and National Public Radio (NPR), which primarily rely on private donations to fund their operations," it continues.

"To conduct an orderly transition away from Federal funding, the Budget requests 15.5 million in 2019 and $15 million in 2020, which would include funding for personnel costs of $16.2 million, rental costs of $8.9 million; and other costs totaling $5.4 million."

In a statement in March 2017 after the first Trump budget proposed the elimination of CPB, the 50-year-old non-profit characterized itself as "one of America's best investments."

[​IMG]© Provided by The Hill
    "We will work with the new administration and Congress in raising awareness that elimination of federal funding to CPB begins the collapse of the public media system itself and the end of the essential national service," CPB President Patricia Harrison said.

"There is no viable substitute for federal funding that ensures Americans have universal access to public media's educational and informational programming and services," she added.

"The elimination of federal funding to CPB would initially devastate and ultimately destroy public media's role in early childhood education, public safety, connecting citizens to our history, and promoting civil discussions - all for Americans in both rural and urban communities."

PBS CEO Paula Kerger said at a TV critics meeting last July that a number of PBS stations across the country are dependent on federal funding in order to survive.

"PBS will not go away, but a number of our stations will," Kerger said on July 30. "There is no Plan B for that."

Trump's budget requires congressional approval before it can take effect. Public broadcasting has survived previous presidential threats to cut its funding.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...nating-federal-funding-for-pbs-npr/ar-BBJ2Jcb

phoneman, TAEZZAR, Glasgow and 3 others like this.
  2. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    PBS is CNN light. One less propaganda conduit to the people! To the trash bin with it!

phoneman, TAEZZAR, Glasgow and 3 others like this.
  3. SongSungAU

SongSungAU Midas Member Midas Member

Hey, if the federal government is going to fund PBS then the federal government should also fund Fox News. If people don't want their tax dollars funding Fox News, they should easily understand why other Americans don't want their tax dollars funding PBS.

Best answer is the federal government should not be in the business of providing Americans their news or entertainment. That's not the job of the federal government.

phoneman, Silvergun, TAEZZAR and 5 others like this.
  4. Silver

Silver Gold Member Gold Chaser

Is the CIA part of the government? They are paying WAPO 600 million, for a business that recently sold for 250 million.

Silvergun, TAEZZAR and gringott like this.
  5. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    I've said it before, and I will say it again - they run commercials, they thank the corporate donors and individual donors, but they have never to my knowledge ever thanked the TAXPAYER.

I am a bit south of Louisville. There are FOUR PBS stations I receive over the air with perfect reception. I have no specialized gear, to me they have either very high powered signals or there is OVERKILL in my area.

Cut the funding. Why would we fund communist inspired programming?

phoneman, TAEZZAR, D-FENZ and 3 others like this.
  6. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

Silver stacker
    Agreed. It’s not the job of the feds.

But if only we cut military spending, we might actually accomplish something of significance. PBS can’t even be considered a drop in the bucket to the $686 billion military budget proposed by trump.

But I digress.

Silvergun, Thecrensh, TAEZZAR and 2 others like this.
  7. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    I don't disagree, but first we have to stop the military adventurism and bring our troops home.

8. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

2 PBS station in my area both with 3 channels each for a total of 6.

2 are the same programming "Create TV" with This Old House, The Woodright's Shop, cooking, sewing, painting type of shows.
    2 are almost the same with Antiques Roadshow, news, Masterpeice theater.
    1 is 24 hrs a day cartoons for kids.
    1 is most cartoons and news.

Why do we need 2 channels less than 50 miles apart?

TAEZZAR and gringott like this.
  9. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ Seeker

Eliminating CPB/PBS should be low-hanging fruit. There is no excuse not to cut it off ASAP.

If PBS is soooooo good, they will be an even bigger success if they are private.

Thecrensh, TAEZZAR, solarion and 2 others like this.
  10. Silver

Silver Gold Member Gold Chaser

There is a PBS station in Marfa, the smallest PBS station in the country - and it's still commie programming and they lap it up. Austin is weird, Marfa is weirder.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  11. Thecrensh

Thecrensh Gold Member Gold Chaser

When I was a kid I used to watch the kid shows on PBS...I still remember even then (when they were perpetually fully funded) the short blurbs just before the shows saying that this programming would not be possible without the "endowment by the XX foundation". If they were fully funded, why were people giving large endowments?