1. First market day of the week as we head to US transition.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Tues Morning! Gold and Silver flying to the up. Gold +20 bucks to 1216. Silver is +30 to 1707. Crude is also moving to the up 72 to 5309. The USD is down 36 to 100.82.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 1/7/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1173.40-- UP 21.70 Silver $16.52-- UP 54 Oil $53.99 -- UP 27 TICS USD $102.21 -- DOWN 7 Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE 2017 $1243.95 (1), SAE $19.53 (20)
  4. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

In a social experiment, Finland starts giving a $587 monthly income

Discussion in 'Coffee Shack (Daily News/Energy/Economy)' started by Scorpio, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

In a social experiment, Finland starts giving a $587 monthly income to 2,000 citizens

Finland has become the first country in Europe to pay its unemployed citizens a basic monthly income, amounting to 560 euros, or $587, in a unique social experiment it hopes will cut government red tape, reduce poverty and boost employment.

Olli Kangas from the Finnish government agency KELA, which is responsible for the country's social benefits, said Monday that the two-year trial with the 2,000 randomly picked citizens who receive unemployment benefits kicked off Monday.

Those chosen will receive 560 euros every month, with no reporting requirements on how they spend it. The amount will be deducted from any benefits they already receive.

The average private sector income in Finland is 3,500 euros per month, according to official data.

Kangas said the scheme's idea is to abolish the “disincentive problem” among the unemployed.

The trial aims to discourage people's fears “of losing out on something,” he said, adding that the selected people would continue to receive the 560 euros even after receiving a job.

A jobless person may currently refuse a low-income or short-term job in the fear of having his financial benefits reduced drastically under Finland's generous but complex social security system.

“It's highly interesting to see how it makes people behave,” Kangas said.

“Will this lead them to boldly experiment with different kinds of jobs? Or, as some critics claim, make them lazier with the knowledge of getting a basic income without doing anything?”

A similar idea, called a universal basic income, has been promoted by some as an answer in the U.S. to the displacement of low-skilled workers by robots and other automation.

The guaranteed income would be provided to every adult, enough to support a basic standard of living, regardless of whether they were employed.

Some proponents see guaranteed incomes as a way to prepare for an economy that produces fewer jobs. Others see it as a way to cut back existing government security net programs.

Two local councils in Scotland are considering introducing trial programs with basic incomes later this year, in Glasgow and Fife.

The unemployment rate of Finland, a nation of 5.5 million, stood at 8.1% in November with some 213,000 people without a job — unchanged from the previous year.

The scheme is part of the measures by the center-right government of Prime Minister Juha Sipila to tackle Finland's joblessness problem.

Kangas said the basic income experiment may be expanded later to other low-income groups such as freelancers, small-scale entrepreneurs and part-time workers.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-finland-guaranteed-income-20170102-story.html

2. JayDubya

JayDubya Gold Member Gold Chaser

more....

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-finland-ahead-us-guaranteed-215943486.html

Finland just rolled out a pilot program to test universal basic income, or UBI . And while the idea of regular cash handouts may sound tantalizing, out-of-work Americans shouldn't hold their breaths.

The Scandinavian country announced yesterday that 2,000 randomly-selected, unemployed individuals between the ages 25 and 58 will receive a monthly cash payment of 560 euros ($582.90) for two years.

The payments will continue even if the recipient finds work . The goal, according to the Finnish government, is to increase employment.

A privately funded pilot program is in the early stages in California, but the United States as a whole is well behind Finland in implementing any kind of guaranteed income.

"Finland is ahead of the U.S. in lot of progressive ideas," says Karl Widerquist, the founder of Basic Income News and an Associate Professor at SFS-Qatar, Georgetown University, in an email with CNBC.

"Finland already has universal health care. The next step is a universal right to a basic income. With Finland's more progressive politics, it's not surprising they're ahead of the U.S. in the movement for basic income," says Widerquist.

Taxes are higher in Finland, too, which makes it more feasible for the government to pay its citizens, Martin Ford, author of The New York Times-bestselling novel "Rise of the Robots: Technology and the Threat of a Jobless Future," tells CNBC. "They have the means to pay for a basic income by converting existing programs," he says.

Although unemployment benefits in Finland are generous, the way they're currently structured can, perversely, keep job-seekers from taking new positions.

"Many workers in Finland who used to have good jobs with Nokia, for example, are now unemployed. Lots of these people have skills and could try to start businesses or maybe work for another small business at lower pay. But the traditional unemployment program doesn't allow this. If they earn any money, they lose all their benefits," says Ford.

"So a basic income is a way to structure the safety net so that unemployed workers have an incentive to work to the extent they can, without the fear of losing their benefits."

Also, while there are about 5.5 million people living in Finland, there are more than 320 million in the United States. Diversity in the U.S. makes it harder for some Americans to feel compassion for each other, suggests writer Misha Chellam, founder of the start-up training company Tradecraft. Chellam is also a signatory of the Economic Security Project, a newly founded research organization dedicated to learning more about the implications of UBI.

"It may be an empathy gap," says Chellam.

"Finland is a small, homogeneous country with less than six million people. This may make Finns more empathetic toward fellow Finns' struggles, as they share many cultural similarities. The sense of 'Americanness' can be a bit harder to pin down in a nation of almost 320 million people hailing from all parts of the world."

The U.S. will only adopt UBI if automation results in mass unemployment, Ford believes.

"I don't expect it to happen smoothly. I expect that, especially here in the United States, it's going to happen when we have a crisis. We will have a big problem first," he says.

Despite cultural resistance, Widerquist insists that cash handouts are a viable idea even in the U.S.

"Basic income works everywhere. We can all realize it is so, if people just have to give up their belief that the rich should have the right to tell the poor what to do," he says.

gringott and Scorpio like this.
  3. Usury

Usury Gold Member Gold Chaser

So give people money so they'll find a job? Riiiiiiight.....

gringott likes this.
  4. historyrepete

historyrepete Silver Member Silver Miner

I wonder what they've got planned.

gringott likes this.
  5. Montecristo

Montecristo Silver Member Silver Miner

So, to lower the unemployment rate they are going to pay unemployed people a basic "salary" that won't be taken away if these people find a job even if it is below what they feel they should be paid or were being paid before they became unemployed.

Talk about a government scheme of income redistribution!
    Why not cut the taxes of those citizens and business' that are being extorted into supporting this program and leave them more money to spend into the economy, then remove minimum wage and give the business the opportunity to hire more people without having to pay additional taxes that would be collected and redistributed as the economy expands under the additional funds that are now being spent into the economy?
    Viola! Higher employment rates and a growing economy simply by reducing governments attempt to "manage" the economy.

gringott and historyrepete like this.
  6. historyrepete

historyrepete Silver Member Silver Miner

Where the hell you get these kinda ideas? Sarc

7. Howdy

Howdy Silver Member Silver Miner

I bet most of the recipients are foreign immigrants.

gringott likes this.
  8. tom baxter

tom baxter back from 2004

Retired now
    Naturally. Because they probably can't fill out the forms others take for granted

gringott likes this.
  9. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

gringott likes this.
  10. Rollie Free

Rollie Free Gold Member Gold Chaser

Where is my cut?

Xenophobic bastards. Just cause I don't live within some imaginary line I am left out?
    Not only are they xenophobic, but sexist, racist, and anti-gay, anti-trans.

Hate...its costing me $587 a month.

Usury likes this.
  11. gringott

gringott Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

I may move there. I could use an extra $587. Anybody know the cost of living over there compared to here?

I know two women over there, one still speaks to me. Maybe I'll ask her to hook me up.
    We should be in Poland in the spring, maybe I'll defect to Finland.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017 at 3:25 PM
  12. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

gringott likes this.