1. Fed Chair states 'interest rate rise coming in months', USD flying to the up on the news
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Holiday Friday is up, and going into the extended weekend we have Gold down 2 to 1218, while Silver is down 4 to 16.30. Oil is continuing to roll off that 50, now down 39 to 49.09. The USD is +11 at 95.27 and awaiting GDP report this am.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/28/16 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1213.80 DOWN 58.90-- Silver $16.26 DOWN 87-- Oil $49.33 up 3.12--- USD $95.50 UP 91 tics-- Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE $1278.39 (1), SAE $19.38 (20)
  4. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

Irons ongoing MD finds thread

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by Irons, Jan 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Mother Lode

Hello folks and thanks for looking! I will be adding to this thread as I go so you can see the fabulous luck I will be having digging up the lost and left behind. ~ :bear_w00t:

I started out with a Bounty Hunter Gold Digger my wife unit got me for Christmas 2011 and got an incredibly rare warmup in January that allowed me to get out for 5 days and test this hobby out.

I'm hooked and will be upgrading to a better unit before spring. Here are my finds from the few days I got to go out, I hit clad coins right away and on the third day I nailed these 2 silver rings and the gold plated diamond pendant.

I about shat myself when I wiped the dirt off the pendant and saw gold and diamonds! When It didn't clean up later it was obvious it is plated.

More than the little bits of precious metal, what it showed me is I am doing it right and thats a wonderful feeling! . ;)

I keep the odd finds and throw the rest away, like some kid is missing a home made pot pipe, a dollar store ring and some wierd cross?
    That is also a very hot rock, it still went off even with iron descrimination all the way up. .:confused:

The small pile of clad had a white vinegar bath to clean it up and is ready for penny dishes and regular circulation. Nothing old in the coin department yet.

All the best to you fine folks and stay tuned for springtime finds! .:cool: Irons

January 2012-1 RS.jpg

2. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    This will be fun...

Irons and newmisty like this.
  3. CiscoKid

CiscoKid They all look good through beer goggles... Gold Chaser

Engineer / Business owner
    What kind of a site are you searching? Looks like some teens used to hang out there and party. I've been scrounging around the site of an 1800's farmhouse. Only the well head remains intact. Your junk looks much better than my junk. Aside from some cool trader axe heads, I've been getting pieces to old farm machinary, some cut nails, and old hinges and stuff. I wonder if your hot rock could be a piece of meteorite? Keep up the good work!

Attached Files:

• 921.jpg
      921.jpg
      File size:
      123.2 KB
      Views:
    • hoe.jpg
      hoe.jpg
      File size:
      94.6 KB
      Views:
    • 104-2.jpg
      104-2.jpg
      File size:
      104.2 KB
      Views:
    Irons likes this.
  4. Irons

Thanks Cisco, Your area looks like a relic hunters dream! Where I live is a pretty major summer recreation area with lakes, rivers, reservoirs hiking and biking trails you name it.

When you sometimes hear me bitch about tourists that is why, we are overrun with them 4 months a year. Then they all leave!. ;)

That pile of stuff came from the park / swimming hole in my small town. I have only spot checked 2 of the dozens of state, county, federal and township

parks around here. I'm going to be busy to say the least.

I'm not hunting for relics so I have my metal detector discriminate out almost all iron, and in trashy areas sometimes that isn't enough and I turn the sensativity way down too.

I will be getting a Garrett AT Pro in February and that machine has a great reputation for picking conductive targets out of iron littered areas, it is also waterproof!

If you don't want iron crap test your machine in the yard with buried nails and coins to get your setting right before going out.
    And never forget gold hits in the foil, pull tab and nickel range. :36_1_11:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  5. Irons

.........:ThankYou:..........:ThankYou:...............:ThankYou:

6. REO 54

REO 54 Midas Member Midas Member

I recieved a Fisher CZ QuickSilver MD from my dad.So far I have been using to find septic tank lids.Not very exciting
    ...but it does make me money.:D

Maybe I'll branch out to find something more interesting

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
    Irons likes this.
  7. Dude

Dude Midas Member Midas Member

Hey, that ring on the left I gave to my high school girlfriend in '79. Ahhh, keep it.

8. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Gold Member Gold Chaser

This thread is gonna be awesome. Years back, I bought a White's DFX(I think that's what it was called). I think it cost around $1,000 and the thing was a complete stud. Right out of the box and within 10 minutes we found a 1813 Large Cent 12 inches down. We've moved a few times, and the thing is long gone, but I've been looking for a reason to get a new one and get back out.

Irons likes this.
  9. TheMadHatter

10. EO 11110

EO 11110 He Hate Me Mother Lode

irons, do you have underwater capability? seems like there might be some treasure in the first few feet off of the shore

11. Irons

Not yet but the new Garrett AT pro I'll be buying is waterproof and submersable to 10 feet. . :bear_w00t:

The little MD I'm using now you can get online for around $65. I'm impressed! I'll be keeping it for friends to use.

EDIT: Here ia a guy using the garrett at pro finding the coin cache of a lifetime in a river.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
  12. TheMadHatter

I've been looking at the V3i ever since you posted this thread. Damn you Irons! There's 3 inches of snow on the ground. What the hell am I gonna do with a metal detector?

Irons likes this.
  13. CopperSilverGold

CopperSilverGold Silver Member Silver Miner

Ok time for the real job - district manager for na
    Love those Capped Bust Half finds. Wow :s11:

Irons likes this.
  14. CiscoKid

Your new hobby should give you a fresh perspective on those "nasty" tourists. In addition to bringing out-of-town money to spread around your town, they also accidentally leave behind treasures. Before long, you'll be scoring decent gold earings, rings with stones in them, etc... If you get really lucky, you might score something valuable.

15. Irons

You already have experience with a Whites so that will be the way to go for you, you're way ahead of me on the way these things work!

As for what to do with a MD now in the middle of frozen boredom? I have been adding tools to make it all easier.

The Lesche digging tool with sheath is a winner and a time saver, it's right on your belt when you need it and it makes digging a neat plug in the park grass easy and fast. I like to make it look like I never went through digging out coins and such in lawns.

The Garrett Propointer is another huge time saver, find your MD's target fast and easy with minimal picking through dirt clods.

I also just got a stainless steel beach scoop for sand and water target recovery, once again less fumbling around find the target and move on.

I'm also making a list of places to hit in the spring. Google earth helps you find old roads, bridges and building sites.

Here's the propointer in action. This little tool is awesome I won't go without one now.

Barefoot and TheMadHatter like this.
  16. Sampson

Sampson Digging for nuggets of knowledge Silver Miner

Mining
    That was my first thought too, there are many different types of meteorites and i am not sure how to confirm the id of them all but just about all meteorites will sound off very strong on a MD.

Cool thread, can't wait to see all the neat stuff you are going to find. One tip for those asking about what to do with a metal detector in the winter is to check the snow dumps at large parking lots. People drop all kinds of things when they are digging for their keys and getting in and out of their cars and if they plow the parking lot all that good stuff is conveniently piled up for you to detect. When i still lived in the city i would go to the large bus depot park and ride and check the snow dumps there, especially when they were melting. In Canada here we have $1 and $2 coins and i could clean up $50 to $100 at a time on a good day as well as numerous rings, bracelets, watches, pendants, etc. It is amazing what can be found in those piles.

Goldhedge and Irons like this.
  17. Irons

Great tip Sampson! ~ :36_1_11:

18. Fiat Metaler

Fiat Metaler Gold Member Gold Chaser

irons, what types of places did you search and where in those places?

i had a MD took it to the beach and found almost nothing. (Ace 250). I don't mean not any thing valuable, basically nothing at all. A nail and a foil gum wrapper. This was at the busiest part of Daytona beach.

maybe if i had had a little more success i would have kept it.

what model are you using now that is only $65?

from the photo you showed earlier with the boats, i would definitely search the shallow areas. i would expect you will find jewelry.

Irons likes this.
  19. Irons

Right now I'm using a Bounty Hunter Gold Digger but I just called in my order for a Garrett AT Pro!!

As for where to go I found that stuff in the pic at the local park and swimming hole. I have gone over maybe 1/10 of the park!

Daytona beach would be a tough one because it's flat and huge! Where to start?

I would start where all the people park thier cars in lines, people lose stuff getting in and out. Also the main paths leading

from the strip to the beach. Another problem you probably had is the ACE 250 will only work in dry sand on a salt water beach.

Salt water screws up the ground balance of most MD's because its heavily mineralized.

Check out some videos on youtube for the ACE 250, its a great machine but you have to know it's limitations.

20. newmisty

newmisty Duppy Conqueror Midas Member

That's not a very nice way to talk about the wife unit Irons. :mad:

21. CiscoKid

If half of what I hear about Irons is true, she had better be a gold diver and not a gold digger. That guy can't navigate a boat worth a damn! :flute:

Irons likes this.
  22. Irons

If she is looking for gold she's barking up the wrong tree!! :Chillin:

23. Irons

Goldhedge likes this.
  24. Lawrence

Lawrence Silver Member Silver Miner

Irons likes this.
  25. Irons

Wow great snagg on the Ace 350, those are like $300 new! ~ :23_28_100s:

You won't look silly on the beach unless you go around waving the coil over beach bunnies crotches checking for rings.
    Then again, they might like that! ~ :36_1_11:

You'll like that MD, you can go into the water with it you just can't submerge the control box.

I will be a lot happier when this snow melts and I can get back out there. I got my AT Pro last week and can't do much

with it yet. I may get the neoprene waders out and hit the river boat launches.

26. Lawrence

Lawrence Silver Member Silver Miner

No snow around here. Bad for my snowshoeing hobby, good for metal detecting. I've never actually used one of these things (a good one at least) before. Lots of beaches within walking distance. I like to dream but I get the feeling my pull tab collection is going to be expanded.

And I think I'd best avoid beach bunnies who have rings down there. I'm but a simple man.

Irons likes this.
  27. TomD

TomD It blowed up, y'all Gold Chaser

construction, engineering
    Goldhedge and Irons like this.
  28. Irons

I don't have an ocean but I have several places like this!. ~ :love30:

I'm going to hit this place hard while the water is down in the spring, they lower the water about 25 feet for winter. :cool:

It's around a 2 mile walk through the woods to get to it, pretty much only locals know the way.

View attachment 14972

29. newmisty

Cut it out! I've been trying to turn a blind eye to this addiction for years...have managed to abstain for all this time. Now you jokers keep jumping on the bandwagon making it hard for ol misty to keep from taking a nip! :p

Irons likes this.
  30. Irons

Look at it this way, as a hobby it can't be beat.

You will get fresh air, sunshine and exercise while having a perfect reason to mingle with women wearing dental floss.

They will be curious and want to talk to you and ask if you are finding anything.

For that effort you will find free silver and gold.
    I'm not seeing anything wrong here folks. .:smokin:

31. AguA

AguA Seeker Seeker

No fair.

Can't poke fun at the hobby when you put it like that...

Irons likes this.
  32. Fiat Metaler

Fiat Metaler Gold Member Gold Chaser

i bet it would be an interesting conversation starter if you 'salted' your finds bag with some attractive jewelry.

Irons likes this.
  33. CiscoKid

Throw a couple of rings meant to worn south of the equator into the bag and, when you are showing them to some hot slims, say "I'm not sure what these are. I think they may be pirate treasure." :biggrin::yes:

Irons likes this.
  34. Irons

I'm happy to see some folks are awake and thinking this morning! ~ :coolbeer:

35. Irons

Hey up Cisco, I did some research on your gold panning idea and now am the proud owner of a set of classifying screens, a pan and a EZ sluice.

Many of these locations are in my stomping grounds, and a dam on one of them was just removed

that had been there since the 1920's. There will be gold and 80 years worth of coins and jewelry.

We will find color this summer!

http://www.iowagold.com/WHERE_TO_FIND_GOLD_USA_PAGES/michigan_gold.htm

CiscoKid likes this.
  36. CiscoKid

Excellent work, Irons! I think you will find panning relaxing and profitable (providing there is gold in your area). I dredge up river and creek bottoms and fill five gallon plastic buckets which I take to my barn. That way, I can pan them out into a wheelbarrow filled with water while listening to Buffet on the boombox and enjoying a cold frosty or two. No one looking over my shoulder either. :yes: I've got a birthday coming up and this is on my short list. http://www.goldfeverprospecting.com/kesublsaco.html The beauty of this system is the water supply is simply recirculated so I can concentrate black sands all day without worrying about my well. A pirate's life is a good life. :beer1:

Irons likes this.
  37. Irons

Nice set up! We plan on taking our concentrates out and panning them later too.

Not that anybody will have any idea what we are doing around here with a sluice.

I wasn't excited about it until Bob and I were talking about them taking out ______ dam last summer.

That river has been a canoe paddlers haven for decades and all those losses were sitting at the bottom of the dam.

We just have to go and scoop them up. ~ :coolbeer:

EDIT: This is where the dam was. It's had a year to calm down and settle. ~ :36_1_11:

sdRS.jpg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  38. TomD

TomD It blowed up, y'all Gold Chaser

construction, engineering
    I think I'd like to try this but dip my toe in the water before diving in. What's a decent unit to try to start out with, maybe in the $150 range?

I think there are some places around here that may "pan out", sandy long term public access areas to a local river, bunches of them. Don't know about the beaches because there is so much sand turnover from storms, nothing of value could stay there long.

39. newmisty

Not sure where you are exactly but I think "Florida/Spring Break/Lot of Finds"!

40. Irons

A good starter MD would be a Garrett Ace 250, a midrange Bounty Hunter, a unit everybody loves is a Tesoro Compadre at around $180.

Check your local craigslist or news paper ads, many folks get these for christmas and use them once and sell them.

Thats probably how brother Lawrence got his Ace 350 for 1/3 off.

Salt water beach machines are a whole nother critter, but any decent machine will work fine in dry sand.

Many many beach, water and dirt hunters offer thier advice here TomD, every hurricane and low tide brings more treasures to the surface.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.