1. Stocks rebound yesterday to plug their losing streak, metals pull back
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Weds Morning! Gold is down 3 to 1252, while Silver is down 8 to 18.16. Crude is up 27 to 4864. The USD is up 9 to 9964.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 3/25/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1248.50-- UP 18.30 Silver $17.75-- UP 34 Oil $47.97-- DOWN 134 TICS USD $99.42 -- DOWN 66 tics

Is Alcoholism a Disease or Genetic? Alcohol Abuse & Mental Health

Discussion in 'Alt Medicine/Coll Silver' started by searcher, Mar 31, 2015.

1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Is Alcoholism a Disease or Genetic? Alcohol Abuse & Mental Health

https://youtu.be/i8JBVBHuLoA

Published on Mar 27, 2015

Psychetruth News Correspondent interviews psychiatrist Dr. Colin Ross about alcoholism and alcohol abuse. Find out if alcoholism is actually a disease or if it's actually genetic.

Visit Dr. Ross' website at;
    http://www.rossinst.com/

Related Videos:

Childhood Trauma & Sexual Abuse | Child Mental Health, Psychiatrist Colin Ross & Corrina Psychetruth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aC3q7...

Cause of Mental Health Disorders: Chemical or Trauma? Psychiatrist Colin Ross & Corrina Psychetruth
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2Bjm...

Mental Health: Safe Alternatives to Psych Drugs & Shock by Psychiatrist | The Truth Talks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH9Uh...

Why Mental Health Diagnoses Change, Psychiatrists Dr. Colin Ross & Corrina Rachel The Truth Talks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjv9z...

Cause of Mental Health Disorders: Chemical or Trauma? Psychiatrist Colin Ross & Corrina Psychetruth
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2Bjm...

Do Antidepressants Cure Depression? Are Psych Drugs Safe? Dr. Colin Ross & Corrina Psychetruth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfV0FB...

Eating Disorder Truth: Body Image, Mental Health | Psychiatrist Colin Ross & Corrina Psychetruth
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX8Ro8...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
    REO 54 and Krag like this.
  2. Krag

Krag Planet earth Platinum Bling

Some people chalk it up to "chemical imbalances"; others say it is entirely a matter of choice. Unfortunately junk food, junk drinks, junk culture are all heavily dependent on new generations of suckers who need to be taught by their parents that they are hurting themselves using stuff that does nothing for their health and well being.

If people limited their alcohol intake to relatively "healthy" beverages like quality beer and wine only when they are physically healthy and active and preferably in a social setting, then they would be able to control this problem better. I have a friend who has been in the hospital now in a rehab facility for over 6 weeks, facing eviction. There has to be a better way to turn around alcoholics and drug addicts than $2000 plus a day hospital beds! I'm sure in Europe, India and around the world they have better methods and are less concerned about lawsuits which undermines healthy change.

smilershouse and searcher like this.
  3. Alric

Alric Midas Member Midas Member

There is obviously factors that increase your chances to being addicted to stuff. I actually think my genes heavy predisposes me towards alcoholism, since a lot of people in my family drank heavily. Which is why I don't drink at all, I don't ever drink. As the doctor says, it doesn't matter what my genes are if I don't drink I will never become an alcoholic.

That said, who knows what it would take for me to become one. Maybe I have a bad day or go to a party and I just drink a little and that little bit opens the doorway to alcoholism. It isn't like a person knows ahead of time what their tolerance to addiction is, so they might be responsible and drink only a little but that is all it takes. At that point, it is a little too late, and is far far harder to stop.

Some things are physically addicting, like smoking and some drugs. They produce chemicals in your head that make you addicted to them. However, a person brain also produces it's own chemicals as well. A good example is dopamine, you can get chemically addicted to actions that release dopamine in the brain and these actions can be nearly anything. Anything that might trigger a pleasurable experience can be addictive. That is how people get addicted to things like gambling because the first time you win really big, it is a big rush and your brain releases a lot of dopamine and from then on your brain associates winning with pleasure and you are hooked.

4. smilershouse

smilershouse Gold Member Gold Chaser

Yeh I hear you Al,

I have been after this knowledge for some time. It was just so plain and simple I never saw it.

Just as people are addicted to Dopamine, and take pleasurable drugs, there are others lacking in Serotonin, hence the stimulants. And then there are people that desire more "inner creativity and an aliance to God, so LSD and D9-THC comes into play.

However Alcohol is an insidious one. People drink it in excess for fun...............As well as sorrow...................................As well as those having experienced psycho-emotional-sexual trauma. Alcohol is also a pain relief, its a sedative to others and a party goer for others. Its a lifter and a depressant. Hence it is also a promoter and a reliever.

AND, its a major (Western) govt resource through its heavy taxations. BTW.............

There stands a reason why cigs and grog are legal, but MJ is illegal..........Congrats Colorado ........................MJ is imo really bad for BigPharma's profits. And I suspect there are conspiracies out there that could confirm that MJ is less harmful than Alcohol and/or Cigs.................But the band plays on.

SH

Son of Gloin and searcher like this.
  5. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

I would say it could be either depending on the person. Some people have addictive tendencies.

6. Argent Dragon

Argent Dragon Site Support Site Mgr Site Supporter

My input is that social drinking is 'learned behavior' and genetics have an influence on whether or not you develop alcoholism.

Both my parents drank and I picked up the habit as well.
    In my younger years most of my buddies drank so it was a social endeavor.

However, I developed an affinity for alcohol so much so I thought I needed it nightly.
    Now my doctor is telling me to lay off, quit, abstain..........due to high liver enzymes present in my blood samples.

It's tough and I haven't quit completely but I can now go days without it. Not sure where it goes from here.

Son of Gloin, searcher and TAEZZAR like this.
  7. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

Interesting, my dad was a heavy drinker & a hard worker, a type of functioning alcoholic.
    I was "allowed" booze at a young age, but restricted to home if I had any. This "availability"
    truly kept me from using it (I just wasn't interested). I did become a functioning alcoholic of sorts - until Dec of 1983.
    I had a 3 day hangover in the Amazon jungle, while travelling in the back seat of a Toyota Land Cruiser.
    Oh gawd what a hellish 3 days !!! I said "drinking is supposed to be fun & this is not fun - I quit."
    I was chided by everyone that I could not quit. That caused me to go 11 years without one drop of alcohol. I did this entirely on my own,
    with no organizational help.
    Today, I drink a beer on occasion & wine with dinner, almost daily. I have not had any hard liquor nor been "drunk" in 28 years.
    I believe that a strong resolve can definitely help over come the grip of alcohol. But that is just me & my experience.

Now, I am a "FOODAHOLIC" and dieting is hell for me, I manage to stay around 200 lbs, but, damn it, it's tough !!!

For me quitting smoking (1969) & quitting booze(1983) was easy, but how do you quit eating ?? You don't, at least for long.

8. searcher

If you are trying to quit I wish you all the best.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  9. searcher

I enjoyed this................:beer:

Would love to hear what you were doing in the Amazon jungle.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  10. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

My experience Alcohol Abuse can be either a learned experience or a genetic disposition.

I know in my step-family side their father was an Alcoholic and one of my step-sisters also carries that trait. 1 out of the 4 kids.

While my blood-side my grandfather's brother was. Yet me and my brothers and our families hardly qualify as social drinkers. A beer ( and I mean ONE) on a holiday or family get together is about it.

I do like an Ice Cold beer on a 100 degree day after mowing lawns with a push mower, but I did not even do that one time this Summer.

Good Food is my downfall.

TAEZZAR and searcher like this.
  11. mispillion

mispillion Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter

seaman
    Mom was an alchy, have worked with many, also. Common trait i have found with these folks is they all seem to be to be blamers, self-pitiers and self-deceivers.

12. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    I've known alcoholics. I'd say all the above.

Argent Dragon, searcher and TAEZZAR like this.
  13. ErrosionOfAccord

ErrosionOfAccord #1 Global Warmer Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Energy Extraction
    Pretty sure you just described Hillary. I agree with your thoughts.

oldgaranddad, Treetop and TAEZZAR like this.
  14. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

Yes, Hillary for DAMNED SURE !!

As for the other 2 quotes: IDK, many heavy drinkers, that I have know (myself included), are hellbent achievers & quite successful.
    Is that the norm or the exception, and how do we know ?
    Is there a difference between a "heavy drinker" and an "alcoholic", or is it just that the alcoholic goes to the meetings ? I know this is sometimes a joke, but I am serious.

searcher likes this.
  15. searcher

Came across this by accident. Watched a few of the vids and thought they were worth watching. Here's number 1.

Goals, Problem Solving, Overcoming Obstacles, 365 videos in One Year.
    AlcoholMasteryTV

Published on Jul 1, 2016
    Goals, Problem Solving, Overcoming Obstacles, 365 videos in One Year.
    http://alcoholmastery.com/goals-probl...

Today, I want to talk about goal-setting, problem-solving and overcoming obstacles, that kind of thing.

This one is just going to be about a personal goal that I’m setting for the next year, just as an example of what you can actually achieve when you put your mind to it.

So, the goal is…I’ll give you the background first.

I’ve got over 300 videos on YouTube now and on the website, and they really start from Day 1 to a few weeks ago.

I haven’t put up any videos in the last couple of weeks, and it’s something that I really enjoy doing.

I like getting out for these walks, I like putting out the videos and I like teaching.

So, my goal is to do one video every single year for the next year.

When I say it out loud like that and I know this is going live and stuff.

This is where I get my best leverage.

I hope that by putting this out there, people will keep me on track.

It’s going to be a big challenge putting up one video every single day from the 1st of July until the 30th of June next year.

That’s including weekends, including holidays, including Christmas Day, including New Year’s Day…all those days I’m going to put up a brand new video.

And, I want to put up some god stuff, you know? Not just a video for the sake of putting up videos, but stressing a point, addressing some issue.

The subject can be anything from quitting drinking to goal-setting to moving forward into your new goal.

The more I get into this, the further I get away from my old life.

The further into my new life I get, the more I realise that this is all about lifestyle;

it’s all about change in your life.

It’s about forgetting what you’ve done in the past, what the past has thrown in your way, and moving forward into something better. I think one of the biggest problems that people have with quitting drinking is that they don’t move forward.

So, anyway, a lot of the videos are going to be about that, about moving forward into a new life, into something great that you can do for yourself.

That’s my whole point; that’s what I want to do with my life.

I want to achieve something great.

I want to make a difference.

I’m not looking for personal fame or anything like that, I don’t like that actually.

I avoid personal meetings like the plague.

I’ve had a few opportunities to speak in public and go to conferences and stuff like that and I just haven’t done that yet.

So that’s one of the things where I’m going to have to get out of my comfort zone in future to do it, fair enough.

But maybe I won’t do it.

Maybe that’s just not me.

Maybe that’s something that I won’t ever do.

I don’t know.

But, as it stands, I love doing what I’m doing.

I think I can help to make a difference in people’s lives.

I think I’m making a difference in some people’s lives.

So, that’s the idea behind the 365 videos in 1 year.

It’s going to be tough, but the number 1 reason I’m doing this is to try and help, to try and put out as much information onto YouTube as I can, about how to change, how to turn your back on alcohol, how to move forward, how to change some of the bullshit ideas that have been put into our heads for our entire lives, you know.

These are not very old ideas, alcoholism and sobriety and all this kind of shit.

Or you can visit the blog here: http://alcoholmastery.com/blog

Subscribe to the Alcohol Mastery TV main YouTube Channel here:
    http://www.youtube.com/subscribe_widg...

Are you signed up for the Alcohol Mastery newsletter? It doesn’t cost anything, there’s always a couple of extra tips, a heads-up to new content on the site, and most importantly – it’s a weekly reminder of your commitment to quit.

Krag likes this.
  16. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I used to drink a lot in college. Eventually I grew up. My dad was a violent alcoholic and I just cannot stand being around them or stoners. What a waste of time in such a short life.

GOLDBRIX, TAEZZAR and searcher like this.
  17. birddog

birddog Gold Member Gold Chaser

It seems to me that most people have some kind of addiction. Be it alcohol, drugs, food, or even exercise.

Mine is sugar. Wow... just started a ketogenic diet two days ago and the sugar withdrawal is just like a hangover. Ugh...

18. searcher

Good luck......................:beer:

birddog likes this.
  19. TAEZZAR

I hate a quitter !!!
    All jokes aside. I was a heavy scotch & beer drinker, until 1983, I had a 3 day hang-over (might have been the Pisco Sours on top of everything else) in the back of a Toyota Land Cruiser, bouncing through the Amazon Jungle.
    I said, drinking is supposed to be fun, this is no ******** fun, I quit. Everyone said I couldn't do it. I went 11 years without alcohol. Now I have a glass of wine with dinner or a beer, depending on the type of food.
    I quit smoking in 1969.
    Now FOOD, there is a problem. I quit smoking & booze but I cannot quit eating. Regulating good food is really tough for me.
    I want to learn to moderate my food intake. I'm 30 pounds heavier than I ought to be.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    GOLDBRIX and searcher like this.
  20. Krag

They also say that co-dependency triggers addictions, alcoholism. I definitely see the effects; currently living with and trying to help an older sister on psych meds., it is depressing and fosters in me a desire to get out of her crazy space, but frankly I can't afford alcoholism or addictions nor do I have any inclination to excess.

searcher likes this.
  21. searcher

Best wishes for you and your sister.

22. edsl48

edsl48 Silver Member Silver Miner

Heavy drinking is the only thing I learned in College that I still find use for to this day.
    (Reminiscing college classroom thoughts of "Why learn this because I will never use it again after college?")

michael59 and Usury like this.
  23. latemetal

latemetal Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Knock on wood, sober about 5 years now, and the urge still kicks in every once in a while. There are alkies in the family, but I wonder if better problem solving skills would have made a difference...nature or nurture.

searcher likes this.
  24. SilverCity

SilverCity Gold Member Gold Chaser

retired aerospace
    Family of alkies here. Originated with dad. War "hero" brought it home with him. Affected all of us sons and mom. Binge drank in HS (many friends did). Religious conversion at age 30 ended all that for me. Didn't help my family (except mom).

Counsellor said adult child of alkies may or may not drink and it can leap frog generations. Adult children also have higher cancer rates. My christian wife came from same family structure. She is a cancer survivor. We both recognize it and are careful to warn our kids. The step-son and son-in-law (former marine) do on occasion probably drink to excess though both of their spouses try to keep them in line for the sake of the children.

Wife and I do drink very lightly on occasion (wine or split beer for dinner), but can certainly live without it. Have many stories to tell about family members and friends, acquaintances. Catholics in my many years of observations seem to rely on alcohol a lot. (no offense) All the issues revolve around the same stuff as noted in previous posts.

Many alkies don't realize how they act when drunk. To them I recommend try staying sober at the next booze party and watch how others make total fools of themselves. That worked for me...

SC

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    mayhem and searcher like this.
  25. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

I drank enough to kill 6 or 7 of you mere mortals, got sick of it and when I decided to quit found out I was addicted.
    Alcohol will do that. You can be a heavy drinker for years and it doesn't grab you until you try to quit.
    Physical alcohol withdraws are horrible, now I know why many choose to just die instead of fighting a long miserable war.

I never did rehab although I know it works for some people. I do know that unless you want to be done with it all the rehab in the world isn't going to help you. I didn't like being around drunks when I was one. I have zero desire to drink now and hate the smell of it on people.

Funny you can chew all the gum and munch all the mints you want a non drinker can smell you from 10 feet away.

mayhem, smooth, TAEZZAR and 3 others like this.
  26. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

My love for a good T-Bone or Porterhouse is my "Jones".
    That weakness was my reason to NEVER try Cocaine or "Horse". I'd be worm dirt long ago.

TAEZZAR and searcher like this.
  27. TAEZZAR

Ribeye Steak, 1 1/2 thick, med-rare !!!

historyrepete and searcher like this.
  28. Krag

I have a friend who drank himself into three DTs and hospitalizations. He was been in the hospital/post-acute facility now for nearly two years. I've been taking him to AA once a week or so, but he doesn't seem to want to work the system, but enjoys the fellowship of ex-drunks. http://i.imgur.com/aAkSktU.jpg Causation? Probably the nut job female friend who was in a much worse negative spiral of drinking and hospitalization and turned up dead, he suspected foul play. Who knows?

There is help for those who want it.

searcher and TAEZZAR like this.
  29. GOLDBRIX

AW, GAWD !!!

My tongue is beating my eyeteeth to death. :chef: :refer: :surrender:

michael59, searcher and TAEZZAR like this.
  30. smooth

smooth Gold Member Gold Chaser

I just quit drinking a couple months ago. It has been a struggle. Alcoholism has been pretty prevalent on both sides of my family. My Dad has had to go through a couple of surgeries lately and both times suffered through some significant DT's. They were freaking bizarre and life threatening. We were never really close. He boogied when I was pretty young, but was around enough to still be a small part in my life. I basically grew up vowing to not be like Him. After He recovered He went straight back to the drink. Watching all of this was enough for me to decide that I needed to put the stuff down. I'll be the first to admit that so far I miss it daily, but I believe that will lessen as time ticks by. And yes, the physical withdrawal was miserable and lasted a lot longer than I thought it would. Hopefully that alone will be enough incentive to keep Me away in the future.
    To the OP..... definitely genetic. A disease? I donno....

31. Irons

Good luck Brother it does get better! After a couple months of being off it I was really sick and finally went in and explained what I was doing to my doc.
    My blood pressure was through the roof. That's part of physical withdraws, like heroin alcohol is a physical addiction and quitting can kill you.
    I was on the blood pressure crap for 8 months solid then started tapering myself off them over a year and my BP stayed normal.

Wasn't no picnic. I never want to feel that badly again. St Pauli Girl makes great NA beer so it's not like I have to go without!

cdogs.JPG

32. Krag

I see a lot of people in AA who are still consuming junk food, and drink. There is no sense in replacing a little alcohol consumption with soda, fast and junk food, too much caffeine rich coffee, etc..

The problem is the alcohol allergies where you can't stop and need more and more due to the tolerance levels. Get to the root of the problem with allergy testing and avoid food allergens and have a healthy rotation diet. Common allergens are wheat and gluten foods, yeast, peanuts, artificial flavors, etc..

Good wikipedia article on the 12 step program: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve-step_program

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  33. mayhem

mayhem A Different Perspective Silver Miner Site Supporter

Retired
    Take it or leave it. Mostly leave it. I'm to much of a control freak to lose my senses to anything. Dr. says I need 40 mg of oxy a day, I take maybe 10 when it gets real bad. Doesn't do anything for the head, but it removes 30% of the pain. Pain keeps me real, and in touch with just how frail we humans are. There was a point long ago that I thought I was invincible. Amazing how stupid we can be. Old and still learning every day, that's why I come here.

GOLDBRIX, searcher, TAEZZAR and 2 others like this.
  34. Krag

For chronic pain I would either do kratom while it is still legal or cannabis. Nervine herbs are helpful with pain; vervain, valerian, hops, etc..

35. TAEZZAR

smooth, stay strong, as Irons says, "it does get better"!

I sparingly use Soma & Ketrolac "cocktail", at night, when the pain is severe. It allows me to sleep well.
    Both are addictive, so I am careful. Doc gives me 30 each at a time, they last almost 2 years.

This month, I found a muscle therapist that is working out my stiffness & pain. He is GOOD !

smooth, searcher and Irons like this.
  36. Irons

Best NA Beers I have found. I am sure there are a few others that are good too
    I got my local to stock St Pauli Girl for me and to both our surprise it took off. He now stocks 4 different high quality NA beers and they sell really well. NA beer doesn't have to taste like shit.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

37. searcher

Irons likes this.
  38. GOLDBRIX

My Thoughts and Prayers are with you smooth. Stay strong.

39. Argent Dragon

Argent Dragon Site Support Site Mgr Site Supporter

Well, to follow-up........... I've lessened my intake dramatically.
    Averaged 5-6 drinks daily down to less than <1.........if even that. Currently, I try to stay away during the week and allow a couple on the weekends. It must be working because it showed up as improvement on my blood tests. The doctor gave me 2-smiley faces. He's rather blunt and told me, "nobody ever died from NOT drinking alcohol........" lol.

So, in summation I still have weakness and cravings from time to time but it's weakening and I can live without it for the most part. A glass of wine with a meal or a beer after a long day...........no more. Sometimes half-a-beer goes back into the fridge due to not finishing.

Also, I'm visiting a specialist RA doctor and there's suspect of an autoimmune disorder (overactive immune system attacking my body) which is causing my stiffness and muscle pain in my hands, etc.

Irons, searcher, smooth and 2 others like this.
  40. TAEZZAR

A D, keep us informed of your results. I am, & probably a lot of us are, in your shoes.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017