1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

License plate recognition being used.

Discussion in 'U.S. Constitution & Law' started by Cigarlover, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Cigarlover

Cigarlover Gold Member Gold Chaser

Whats your thoughts on this technology?
    Reason I ask is last Friday had a friend get pulled over. 2 cop cars and 4 officers.. He didn't get pulled over for violating any traffic laws, they just wanted his license because his name came up as having a warrant in the computer.
    Apparently they were behind him, ran his plate then followed him until he was almost to his house and flipped the lights on then.
    Turns out there was a guy with same name but different SS number who had the warrant and not my friend.
    He asked my advice and I told him the first ones a freebie for them. If it happens again then it's harassment and to sue. Of course going through the legal process is time consuming and expensive.

2. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I've mentioned here before a time I was driving my mother's car (8 years back or so) when I got pulled. Here in French Canuckistan, not only do the cops have access to your wants and warrants, they're directly linked to the SAAQ (our DMV). His auto plate scan showed the car belonged to a woman, not the bearded freak behind the wheel. Turns out they're also using facial recognition. In Quebec, women aren't allowed to take their husband's name when they marry. Even if you were married 20 years before coming to Quebec, they still force the woman to use their maiden name. Well, since our last names don't match, I didn't appear in the records as connected ... so they pulled me over. I expect their records now have us linked as I haven't been pulled for the same 'offense' since.

3. Cigarlover

being detained so they can update their records just feels like a violation of our basic rights.

hoarder, gringott and solarion like this.
  4. solarion

solarion Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Most cops are arrogant and dumb. They behave as though they're incapable of error, then when it's proven they're in error they seldom admit they made an error. I was nearly arrested once due to a suspended license warrant issued in a city in which I'd never been. Turns out the cops read my name wrong back to dispatch and came up with a warrant for a guy that 100% did not match my physical description, car, driver's license #, SS # or any other corroborating information. Plus they had me right there telling them they were wrong, but none of that mattered...because obviously I was lying and they were too lazy and stupid to double check their information.

Long story short, I had to give them several hundred dollars cash to avoid wrongful arrest and extradition. Then it took me nearly six months to get the cash back...not even an apology. I just avoid idiot doughnut eaters at every opportunity, nothing good ever comes from interacting with brain damaged parasites that think they're doing good.

hoarder, michael59, gringott and 2 others like this.
  5. Ebie

Ebie Midas Member Midas Member

"... had a friend get pulled over....his name came up as having a warrant in the computer...."
    The police don't have license plate owner info which includes DOB and SS# as well as name.
    Amazing.
    In any case, around here, many cars don't have license plates.

Cigarlover likes this.
  6. Ebie

Ebie Midas Member Midas Member

I got a bill for a bridge toll--for a car that I has sold to a large dealer 3.5 month before.
    I called the gov't toll company:
    They said that I had to prove to them that I had sold the car.
    OK, but, I was surprised that the gov't could be that slow...if that was the problem...

Cigarlover likes this.
  7. newmisty

newmisty Duppy Conqueror Midas Member

Build-a Burger
    Funny, same around here. I noticed right away when moving here that many cars drive plateless. I thought they were either in the know or just careless. I'm thinking the second.

8. newmisty

Build-a Burger
    I got a letter from NH with a picture of my vessel after going through a choched toll booth demanding some $. All they got was a virtual finger.

Rollie Free and Cigarlover like this.
  9. newmisty

Build-a Burger
    By giving your "name and Birth Date" or handing an "ID" you are identifying as a corporate fiction, a U.S. Citizen, and are thus contracting (submitting to their jurisdiction) to alow them to enforce their regulations upon you.

arminius and Cigarlover like this.
  10. Alton

Alton Gold Member Gold Chaser

C'mon! I know you can say it in America and in Canuckistan too! It's real easy. Most all of us have said it at one time or another....All together Now.....

Seig Heil!

Welcome to the POLICE STATE!!!

gringott, Cigarlover and searcher like this.
  11. Cigarlover

Yea but its better than being taxed or shot for disobeying a lawful order. LOL.
    That lawful order BS is something thats only about 15-20 years old too. Never heard of it before. Not since I was in the military. There i am Gov property though and subject to lawful orders. As a civilian I am unsure how I am under obligation to follow lawful orders.

gringott likes this.
  12. newmisty

Build-a Burger
    Agreed, but it's important to know what you are doing while doing it. tumblr_ltqd8xPQ7Z1qj171uo1_400.jpg

13. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    I should muti-quote but that would require effort so I will just tell ya all about my little foray into Supreme Court Cases on false arrest.

Every one and I mean every one where the/a - cop/s arrested someone on a false claim why the police were held blameless. Not kidding, and I read hundreds. So if'n you/me are putting down the right of ways and get tagged then the cop knows he will face nothing; hence the cop out "I was just doing my job, man." And, they do know this so the best thing I can think of is make the point and deal with it because "Embarrassment" in Court is a whole lot sweeter.

Now as for lawful orders, one has to be under arrest. Sure the bubble gum lights mean a arrest but it does not mean you have to contract it is first and foremost a safety thing. There is the rub between detained and arrested which requires investigation on the cops part. My advise? Make um work for it as here in Oregon that ticket or piece of paper is an almost there as far as jurisdiction, the cop will supply the words to cap off the jurisdictional part if you let him/her but while in front of that judge you must defeat the cop. Sure, sure there is no plaintiff or as they call it in California no "Certified Victim." But the rest of us just call it "Fictitious Plaintiff." This is a fraud because there is no one to complain so you shall not use words against yourself.

As, far as License plate readers. Yes we have them here, in fact out on 51 they had these staters going back and forth and there would be a flash as they passed. Smile for the camera :) and this was as they were in the opposite lane. Or it could have been facial recognition IDK. but they have them stupid swordfishes which as I understand it can now be a droid phone in size, at least I think that is what they are called.

14. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Freeport and Long Beach have permanent license plate readers mounted on all roads into and out of their jurisdictions. I pass them all the time.

Freeport was crying because they didn't realize how much data was coming in when they first started and were asking for help to wade through all of the data. They now share out the information to other LE agencies.

15. Pyramid

Pyramid Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

LPR cameras and software have been in place for over a decade. You can thank King Bush II and his "Patriot Act" and new found alphabet soup agency Department of Homeland Security for that. It was once estimated that installing a camera and supporting software network costs over $20K per patrol vehicle...guess who paid for that...yes, the US taxpayer. Us law-abiding citizens needed to be tracked with LPR and face recognition because we were being overrun by terriorists at the time and we needed to be protected {SARCASM}.

On the flip side, if LPR technology is constitutionally and judiciously used to catch legitimate criminals, such as carjackers, kidnappers, felons, thieves etc. it could have some benefits. I don't appreciate my vehicle being scanned like I'm guilty before being proven innocent, however. Nor do I approve of my location and time being stored for up to 90 days...that is none of .gov's business.

16. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

Just need to find a method to defeat the technology. Seeing as they rely so heavily on technology, if you can learn how to defeat it, you will mostly become invisible to them unless you blatantly commit an offense directly in an officers line of sight.

17. Cigarlover

My friend stopped by today on his way home from his dads house about an hr south of me. He got pulled over again. Same issue, someone with same name has an outstanding warrant. No other reason to pull him over.
    Weird coincidence but cop said the other guys SS number is only 1 digit off of my friends. In any event, thats twice in 8 days now.
    It seem unreasonable to me. 1) If i am a passenger in a car I have no requirement to answer question or provide ID to a police office if the car is pulled over. Likewise, if I am walking down the street I can't just be asked for my papers to prove who I am.
    2) I can't be pulled over for a secondary offense. In other words I can't be pulled over for no seat belt if that is the one;y violation i am committing. If I am speeding and not wearing a seatbelt than I can be pulled over for speeding and also issued a ticket for no seatbelt.
    3) I can't be pulled over for a random search so I do have a reasonable expectation of privacy when traveling down the road.
    4) I have read answers on the question posted by lawyers and they say its legal because it's public record. In fact registration is not public record. At least that is my understanding. I can't just call some department with a license plate number and get the info on who owns the car nor can I go to the courthouse and look up the plate and get identity information. Public information to me is that the information can be accessed by the public like court cases. Those are all public information unless sealed or unless they belong to Obama:belly laugh:

Any point number 4 is perhaps the most important. This is a search of my private information and as such I should enjoy protection under the 4th amendment. I say I should enjoy that protection but the fact is we should all enjoy that protection.

newmisty likes this.
  18. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Your friend should be all over his local federal and state representatives. A law abiding citizen being pulled over twice in 8 days due to clerical mistake that could lead up to a fatal mistake by some over zealous Barney Fife is serious.

Cigarlover likes this.
  19. Silver

Silver Gold Member Gold Chaser

License plate readers are becoming common, I go through Border Patrol checkpoints often and they have an array of different cameras, including what looks like a red lens camera that flashes a shot at every car, and license plate readers. They don't seem to bother me, just ask citizenship - and that is the only question I will answer. One time they asked me where I was coming from, I said driving around in my country. Now, I will just say, thanks but no thanks, I don't answer questions other than the one I'm required to.

I got pulled over by DPS for barely speeding recently, after handing over my DL and License To Carry, and ins. - he got real friendly and said I'm just going to give you a warning. Then he said, 'do you carry a Glock?' I said yes (and was thinking to myself, and a S&W .357, and .22 mag, and a .410 derringer), 'how to you like it?' I like it fine, nice and compact - it's a 43. 'Cool, have a great day,' you too.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/11/surveillance-cameras-border_n_1665324.html

Cigarlover likes this.
  20. newmisty

Build-a Burger
    Welkome to Amerika.