1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a good source for bulk items

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by Cigarlover, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Cigarlover

Cigarlover Gold Member Gold Chaser

Rice, beans, flours. Already have the links from past threads for spices.
    Bobs red mill has some decent prices until you checkout and factor in the shipping on bulk stuff. Lower packaging ships free buts the shipping is definitely priced into the lower quantities.

I'm in Ohio so am ok with store fronts as well. Sadly it seems like Aldi and Wal mart have the best prices but there must be some local farmer or amish selling bulk stuff.

2. mnmom

mnmom Seeker Seeker

Cigarlover likes this.
  3. Cigarlover

They are a bit far away. Probably 2 1/2 hrs. I do have some friends up that way though and will ask them to check it out for me.
    Honeyville actually had some decent prices on Brown rice. 58 bucks for 50 lbs plus 5 bucks for delivery. Hard to beat that.
    Then I found another place I would order everything else I wanted. The rice you have to order 3 bags at a time and then it has to ship common carrier or something so the price went way up when I added rice to the order. The rest of the order was very reasonable though, about 230 lbs of dried goods for a little over a buck a lb shipped.

4. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

Flour probably won't keep well for years, but wheat kernels will. Ask at your feed store about double or triple cleaned wheat berries, and maybe they can also get your other starches cheap. Costco or Sam's Club would be my next trip.
    Walton Feed is another possibility:
    http://rainydayfoods.com/

Cigarlover likes this.
  5. Merlin

Merlin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Brown rice probably won't keep for long periods either; the oils will go rancid. Try plain old white rice instead. It's not as nutritious, I know, but it will keep for long periods when properly stored.

coopersmith and Cigarlover like this.
  6. Cigarlover

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/38111/dried-beans.html

This is the place to beat so far. 100 lb of black beans for 70 bucks. Right now I have 240 lbs of dried beans and other stuff in my cart and shipping is 88 bucks. No idea on the quality but for the price its worth trying them out. Thats probably 2 years worth of food for me.

Hystckndle likes this.
  7. Cigarlover

Yea I have read that about brown rice but I love the stuff.. 6 months in the fridge or 18 months in the freezer. I use about a lb a week so 100 lbs should be about right. I'm sure a neighbor will buy 25 lbs from me.

Merlin likes this.
  8. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    Hey CL,
    I went to the local health type food store.
    Went in talked to the guys there.
    Bought beans and more beans etc in 50lb lots.
    Mylared them in superpails myself with absorbers.
    Worked good for 1000 lbs or so.
    Regards,
    Haystack

Cigarlover likes this.
  9. Cigarlover

I never though about that. Figured they would be very pricey. There is a cute Asian girl that works at our local store though. Last time I was there I promised her a fig tree which is now ready and producing figs. She'll be happy to see that.

Hystckndle likes this.
  10. SheepDog68

SheepDog68 Gold Member Gold Chaser

Bulk food stores work too!

They will have a catalog of items they can order in 50 or 100 pound bags at good prices if they don't have to rebag it in small bags. Just have them add it to their next order usually at a price just a bit above their price!

SD

Cigarlover and Hystckndle like this.
  11. ABC123

ABC123 Silver Member Silver Miner

How do you keep the bugs out?

12. wallew

wallew Gold Member Gold Chaser

Retired - no job, no money
    ABC123,
    The wife and I use BAY LEAVES in our white flour. ABOUT one leaf 5 per lbs - make sure you mix them in so you get good coverage (get half of them down into the bag). MAKE SURE you sift the bay leaves out prior to using. As long as the WHITE FLOUR is kept in a cool, dry, dark place we have never had any problems with bugs.

WE add AT LEAST 10 Bay leaves to 50 lb sack of white flour. We have been storing white flour for years. We do use it a lot, because we do cook from scratch a lot. And I like to bake...

So it's not like you can store it for years, never rotate or check your flour and open it ten years down the road and find out that what you put away has gone bad.

We have not had that problem with white flour after we discovered bay leaves as the remedy for keeping the bugs out.

hope that helps

ABC123 and OverOver like this.
  13. ernest

ernest New Member

14. Cigarlover

I ended up using honeyville for the brown rice. 50 lbs shipped for 62 bucks.

then I used this place for everything else. I ordered 200 lbs of beans and whole wheat pasta and a couple other items. shipping was 47 bucks which is 25 cents a lb.

Also used atlantic spice for some spices and dried vegies.. Oh and unless you do a lot of cooking avoid the 1 lbs packages of spices. a lb of oregano is probably more than I have used in my lifetime. Going to have to put the balance of it in my will. :)

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/38111/dried-beans.html