1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Milwaukee M12 12 Volt Hackzall

Discussion in 'Tools and Fixtures Ratings Threads' started by gringott, Sep 13, 2017.

1. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    I need to cut two bolts on my car that were frozen and rusted. They were the toe bolts on the rear control arms, the bolts went through a metal/rubber bushing. I already had control arms with new higher quality bushing pressed in. The first one I was able to cut through using my cheap electrical cord powered Ryobi saws-all, but working in a driveway on jack stands was a problem due to the length of the tool with blade. The other side was much more restricted as to angle of attack etc. So I went off to Sears and then Homedepot searching for a shorter saws-all. I was disappointed, Sears had nothing that qualified. Homedepot did have a shorter one, non-battery, but it wasn't all that much shorter, I hesitated to purchase basically what I already had but 2 or 3 inches shorter. I don't like battery powered tools, but I spotted this Hackzall, it was short, it was one handed, looked like the ticket. Price was too much, but the staff promised I could return if it didn't "hackzall".

$129 bucks later, I was home. First thing the battery pack is miniature. I had purchased a short blade for extreme metal cutting, so the whole package was "just what I needed". Problem was, the strokes per minute sucked compared to a regular saws-all, the light weight made it difficult to keep on target, and it sawed for shit. End state it took forever to cut through, the battery was dead with the job "almost done", I finished with a hand hacksaw. The finish on the blade guard was already wearing off.

I returned it the next day. This tool might be great for someone cutting PVC or cutting copper in a tight location. Serious cutting of metal IMHO is not a task that it is up to. Comes with a charger and ONE battery, so less than one bolt on one charge just doesn't "cut it" for me.

2. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

For cutting PVC in tight spaces, I find that an oscillating tool is just the ticket. A pipe next to the wall is no problem. Thanks for the write up on the Hackzall.

mayhem and gringott like this.
  3. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

Was originally marketed as Hack-One, but didn't take off.

gringott and GOLDBRIX like this.
  4. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    Humm? oxy-acetylene works for me, hummmm, me just loves my fire.

searcher, D-FENZ and mayhem like this.
  5. mayhem

mayhem Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter

Angle grinder also works for me.

Edit; Got a Dremel 1-1/2" EZ Lock cutting wheel sitting here on the counter that I used the other day in my Dewalt drywall router to cut off a bolt.

6. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    I could have used a angle grinder but most likely would have destroyed the subframe the control arms are attached to. Torch the same, if I had one, and didn't start a fire with the gas lines nearby. Keep in mind I am doing this on jack stands on my back in the driveway. It would have to have been a very large diameter wheel for a Dremel to work, I don't have anything near that size. Basically I had to cut between the subframe "ears" on the outside and the control arm inside. Both aluminum. Cutting the bolt on the outside didn't help, the bolts were frozen to the metal sleeve inside the bushing.

7. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    Old Datson+swing arm bushing. Tried broken hacksaw blades, nothing so I torched it out. Took dry ice and froze new bushing but screwed up by not adding methyl alcohol to make it colder/smaller so had to press it in. Seems the hard rubber in the bushing acts as an insulator of heat....drats.

8. 90%RealMoney

90%RealMoney Midas Member Midas Member

I have a Dewalt 20V lithium ion battery operated Sawzall. Purchased in a set of tools, for construction purposes. They give you those BS half batteries in the sets. You have to get some full sized batteries, that last way longer. Anyway, I'll never use a corded Sawzall again. The weight savings, and ease of use without the cord dangling, especially when on a ladder, is Gold. I put a pruner blade on it this past weekend, and did some Major tree trimming on a couple of large cypress trees. Went through them like butter. You see the Nascar crews using them to cut sheet metal off the cars in the pits. I guess for an operation on your vehicle like you described, being stationary and more of a heavy duty job, a more standard type tool is best. This cordless Dewalt is worth it's weight in gold though, in my opinion.

historyrepete and gringott like this.
  9. keef

keef Пальто Crude Platinum Bling

Retired Hoser
    I knew a girl from Milwaukee..

[​IMG]

opppsss, sorry guys, wrong thread. :tongue: not tryin to kill it.​

gringott likes this.