1. Metals had a great day yesterday followed up by further strength this am as the dollar continues to swoon. Much as we expected. Gold this am is +15.9 to 1282, while silver is approaching 18 and is +34 to 17.89. Oil also catching a bid, up 45 to 46.48. Dollar down 42 to 93.31
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Week of 4/22/16 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1230.00 DOWN 4.60-- Silver $16.90 UP 0.59-- Oil $43.73 UP 2.02--- USD $95.08 UP 40 tics-- Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE $1290.99 (1), SAE $20.22 (20)
  3. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

Modern Coin Mart Dealer Rating

Discussion in 'PM Dealer Feedback' started by Scorpio, Apr 2, 2010.

?

How do you rate this dealer?

1. * One Star

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ** Two Star

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. *** Three Star

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. **** Four Star

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. ***** Five Star

26 vote(s)
    74.3%
  1. Scorpio

Scorpio Alpha Centauri Bound Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter

Please post your comments regarding MCM here in this thread.

You may rate the dealer to your satisfaction level in the course of your business.

Please understand that this is a informational content thread for the sole purpose of passing information and experiences regarding a specific PM dealer to other members.

GIM2 does not endorse or disapprove of any member in this list of threads.

GIM2 is not responsible for any disputes, resolutions, or comments made by the members.

A member may reply to the thread and post comments accordingly.

No new threads will be added except by the moderators.

You may also rate the dealer using the vote button, and the votes will be public, 1-5 stars, one being the lowest, and 5 being the highest rating.

2. mqracing

mqracing New Member

Another trustworthy seller. Good selection. Fair prices on a wide range of numismatics.

Quick shipping. Have had maybee half a dozen successful purchases from this company.

3. chinmusic

chinmusic Seeker Seeker

Good experience with them in both buying and selling. If you are into First Spouses this is a website you should be checking often

4. newmisty

newmisty Duppy Conqueror Midas Member

Ordered from them once, got a Gold Spouce right around spot and they even gave me a free gift! :)
    Shipping was reasonable too.

5. Oldmansmith

Oldmansmith Midas Member Midas Member

Environmentl Consultant
    I have bougt a number of spouses from them, and a graded 1/10 oz. eagle for a newborn's gift. I have no complaints at all.

6. netwanderer

netwanderer New Member

I bought from them a few times. I got three first spouses at a good price, when I take a look at the spot price curves again.

7. jcz1

jcz1 New Member

One thing to keep in mind when buying ungraded items from MCM is that these are the coins that they didn't think were worth grading. Some care, some do not, especially for bullion.

Oldmansmith likes this.
  8. SirOzzyyzzO

SirOzzyyzzO Seeker Seeker

I really want to like MCM.

I have a corporation and I sell/trade, & buy coins (Mostly locally). I have a consistent following of, about, twelve clients. None are bottom-feeder minded like a great deal of E-Bayers, so I really like and enjoy working with them. However, I do get bombarded by the bottom-feeders often when PM prices tumble - par for the course & no biggie. Point is, I like my clients who are decent and really enjoy the hobby with them. I want to do the best I can for them.

Since, about, this past August, I stopped using APMEX. If I could be of no help, through my source, with a buy or a sale, I started recommending to my better clientele to buy & sell strictly with MCM now. Mostly based on all of History Students MCM positive rants... Lol. In short, 5 or 6 have and did. Most claimed to have, happily, dealt with George. I was happy - they were happy - life was good.

Come earlier today - two of my clients called me saying they have been trying to get through to them (MCM) since yesterday and were only able to leave a message, with no return call yet.

Then, my biggest & best client called and said, he had gotten through to a guy, earlier today. He sounded like a young guy. My client asked if they (MCM) are buying slabbed 25th anniversary sets. The young guy quipped back in short, "why? we send all ours in to get graded ourselves". Speaks volumes, if you ask me. Tells me, PCGS & NGC definitely favor the big dealers. Tells me, this hobby is no longer a questionable joke, rather - It Is. MCM does not have any blue label 25th anniversary coins - just the Black & White labeled slabs, and this must be how they determine the big boys coins and who gets the bulk of 70's.

Anyway, my client who said he got through, admittedly said he had called during work and that he was rushed, and that maybe that made him come across wrong, because he placed the call on a break during a staff meeting and had to get back in, and that that was his tenth or twelfth call to them, so he was rushed and maybe the kid picked up on that and that is why he seemed arrogant to him - not sure.

But, I can tell you. I called twice today, too, myself and left a message with George & no return call.

So, I was left with three of my clients being upset with my advice to try and steer them to a place they now feel is the exact opposite of what I have been telling them they are not... I look like the fool.

Between all my clients, I had 30 raw sets to sell. I wanted to give MCM my business.

I had to go with my local source, who I like, and it meant I had to trek into Manhattan, and they have to pay for that.
    I know my clients can get a few more bucks elsewhere, like with MCM based on past feedback, and I tell my source that too, and he says let them go there then...
    In the end, I work for my clients. I am always trying to save them a buck or two, and when I do, or can, I am happy - and this is why they are loyal to me.

MCM let me down, & for now, they have lost my vote and referrals, and I will, also, no longer buy my ATB slabbed pucks from them anymore (wow that sounds so childish...).

- I want to give them a low number rating, however, I will give them a day or two to call me back - because, I certainly understand being busy and being swamped. I am not an angry guy, nor do I want to be rash. Please let me know if I sound trivial too, because I am just trying to be helpful to the entire GIM community - With the understanding that I know no one is perfect and this is not a perfect world & maybe they were having a bad day or maybe I am making too big a deal of this?

My two cents: I would be mindful & watch if MCM is heading down the road of becoming seedy - not needing our slabbed coins - not needing to return calls - not being as nice as probably could be when asked about their buying status. In short, raising prices and acting more and more like what APMEX has become.

MCM - Please say it isn't so. I was happy thinking there was still a decent coin-place to send/refer people to, and to turn to myself if & when I needed to buy or sell.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  9. MCM

MCM New Member

Well, I just found this thread. It always amazes me that these are out there and in this case it took me 10 months to find it. I can tell you that the above statement is NOT correct as a blanket statement, especially for bullion. We ship out fresh coins that have never been sent in or picked through for grading. In all honesty, we simply do not have the time to prescreen and pick out all of the best coins.

Occasionally, we may sell coins ungraded that we feel were not worthy of grading, but this is by far the exception, and if you ask us we will give you an honest answer.

Thanks for all of the positive comments in this thread.

John Maben
    CEO, ModernCoinMart

Irons likes this.
  10. Argentium

Argentium Midas Member Midas Member

It;s certainly nice to see a CEO from a coin dealer comment in these threads!

11. MCM

MCM New Member

12. Frogger

Frogger New Member

I have purchased from them via eBay and have no complaints, the price was fair and shipping was quick enough.

historyrepete likes this.
  13. mnmom

mnmom Seeker Seeker

I gave three stars for a several reasons;

1. The product I ordered was listed on their website without any mention of a back order. I don't typically mind if I'm told up front they are waiting for items to arrive.

2. I had to call after a week of wondering when my shipment would arrive only to be told they were waiting. Hmm.... email is very easy and a quick way to update people who have items that are back ordered.

3. The back order took a month to reach me.

4. I was charged immediately for the order. I don't normally mind paying upfront with a check and waiting for it to 'clear', but this was a credit card order and it should have been charged only after the items arrived and were set to ship out. This was a not a small order either. I ordered 100+oz. :realmad:

I did give them a slightly better rating because the price on the items was good, but I doubt I would place an order without calling to check status of items before I buy. I don't like wondering when that much money is involved.

14. SCFY

SCFY Seeker Seeker

Just went online to MCM on ebay, and they had Pamp Year of the Dragons onsale for $37.50 this past week. So me being the cheapskate that I am, I jumped all over that. :cry_smile: That was the best pricing I had seen for those particular bars anywhere. I paid right away, and within 4 days had my Pamp bar in the mail. I have to say I am impressed.

First let me tell you I live on the East Coast so a lot of the companies I buy from are somewhat closer to me when it comes to mailing stuff to me. So maybe this is part of my good luck with MCM and other local companies near me. Anyway, another good buy from MCM.

15. specsaregood

specsaregood Silver Member Silver Miner

Just received my 2nd order via MCM. This time from their website. It arrived quickly and as described, no complaints. Free shipping was the decider on why I ordered from them since it was a small order (a few varied silver rounds for the kid's collection). I'm sure i'll order from them again in the future.

16. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Mother Lode

I'm happy to add my 2 cents on this thread too.

My first purchase from MCM was a random sovereign, dealers choice what to send.

MCM sent me a beautiful BU 1928 SA mintmark. Very nice! :cheerful:

I hope they get some back up on ebay soon.

17. Arion

Arion New Member

I've purchased from them a couple of times with no trouble. My only complaint is that they don't email tracking info on the package and there is no way to track the package on their website so when you look up your order history the order will say 'completed' but you don't know for sure when the package is supposed to arrive. It may be an issue of volume with them but most places I've bought from mail you the tracking number.

18. The_Head

The_Head Seeker Seeker

Oilfield Laborer
    I've bought from them through their Ebay store. Have had no problems or delays at all. Sometimes their prices are just a bit lower than APMEX on Ebay too.

19. Riot Earp

Riot Earp New Member

My favorite PM dealer. They are very careful when they handle coins - their coins arrive without scratches - and their shipping is quite fast.

Provident Metals is careful also, but their shipping is slower.

20. metier

metier New Member

I have bought twice through their Ebay store without any issues. Shipping time was fine, package was very good and coins were BU condition.

21. Cochisz

Cochisz New Member

Retired
    Cannot believe this thread is still active...

22. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Just bought a roll of Britannias from them, fast shipping and well packaged.

23. Charlie Prime

Charlie Prime Banned

Could someone explain to a newbie like me exactly what is a "bottom-feeder client"?

I fear I might be one, but I'm not exactly sure what that term means.

24. rcfarmer

rcfarmer New Member

I bought 2 rolls of ASE on September 15 with my 10% Ebay coupon and they were delivered today September 20. Well packaged and I give them 5 stars for the transaction.

25. nitroused

nitroused New Member

Bought some America The Beautiful Coins, fast shipment with tracking info, shipments were perfect.

26. msolorio3

msolorio3 Seeker Seeker

Speech Pathologist
    I bought some 'cull' Peace dollars from them and I think that they made a mistake, none of the coins that they sent me were cull! :-)

27. hernancortes

hernancortes Gold Member Gold Chaser

Modern Coin Mart was sold to another guy recently. Since then they've started doing mailers and cold calling. Bad, real bad in my book.

28. Mr Paradise

Mr Paradise Midas Member Midas Member

They usually throw you a Au bullion bone or two on eBay that qualifies for the bucks. Fast shipment, never a problem.