1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Mountaineering

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing, Boating, HIking, Trapping' started by searcher, Feb 18, 2017.

1. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Army Mountaineering: "Cold Weather & Mountain School" ~ 1956 US Army; The Big Picture TV-340
    Jeff Quitney

Published on Feb 17, 2017
    The Big Picture TV Series playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...

more at http://quickfound.net/links/military_...

Soldiers of the United States Army attending U.S. Army Cold Weather and Mountain School at Camp Carson and Camp Hale, Colorado.

"The Big Picture" episode TV-340

Public domain film from the US National Archives, slightly cropped to remove uneven edges, with the aspect ratio corrected, and one-pass brightness-contrast-color correction & mild video noise reduction applied.
    The soundtrack was also processed with volume normalization, noise reduction, clipping reduction, and/or equalization (the resulting sound, though not perfect, is far less noisy than the original).

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/b...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norther...

The Northern Warfare Training Center (NWTC) is a United States Army Alaska installation located in Black Rapids, Alaska. It is the Active Army's only Cold Region Training Proponent.

Arctic, subarctic, and mountain environments are brutally unforgiving to the unprepared. Units that have successfully fought in these environments have historically been those with special individual skills, are physically and mentally tough, and have extensive experience and expertise operating in harsh conditions... At the end of World War II, the mission of the Mountain Training Center at Camp Hale was moved to Camp Carson, Colorado. Camp Carson was the only US Army Center for this type of training until 1948, when the decision was made to organize a school for arctic operations at Big Delta, Alaska later named Fort Greely. In November 1948, the Army Arctic School was established at Big Delta with the primary mission of providing instruction in summer and winter operations under arctic and sub-arctic conditions. This training included arctic survival, mountaineering, skiing, and solutions to tactical, technical and logistical problems in cold regions. In July 1949, the Army Arctic School was redesignated the Army Arctic Indoctrination School, with no change in the mission. For approximately eight years, training in mountain and cold weather operations were conducted simultaneously at Camp Carson, Colorado and Fort Greely, Alaska. However, in 1957 the total responsibility for cold weather and mountain training was transferred to Alaska. The Arctic Indoctrination School was redesignated the US Army Cold Weather and Mountain School and was given the mission of developing cold weather and mountain warfare doctrine, tactics and techniques, and training individuals in these subjects Throughout the years as the Arctic School, Arctic Indoctrination School, and Cold Weather and Mountain School, training was conducted on an individual basis. Students from reserve component and active Army units throughout the continental United States and Alaska were graduated as instructors in cold weather and mountain operations. However, early in 1963, the Department of the Army concluded that the training in cold weather and mountain operations would be of more beneficial to units than individual training. Therefore, in April 1963, the US Army Cold Weather and Mountain School was redesignated the US Army Northern Warfare Training Center and given the mission of training individuals as well as units in the conduct of warfare in cold and mountainous regions. Today, The Northern Warfare Training Center is responsible for maintaining the US Army's state of the art in cold weather and mountain warfare. The Center provides training in these subjects to both active and reserve components and assists in the development of tactics and techniques for such operations...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Mo...

The Army Mountain Warfare School (AMWS) is an United States Army school located at the Camp Ethan Allen Training Site, Jericho, Vermont to train soldiers in mountain warfare, the specialized skills required for operating in mountainous terrain. The school is located in Vermont's Green Mountains...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Gr...

Fort Greely is a United States Army launch site for anti-ballistic missiles located approximately 100 miles southeast of Fairbanks, Alaska. It is also the home of the Cold Regions Test Center (CRTC), as Fort Greely is one of the coldest areas in Alaska, and can accommodate cold, extreme cold, or temperate weather tests depending on the season...

There was an earlier Fort Greely on Kodiak Island...

2. searcher

US Army Cold Weather & Mountain School 1962 US Army; The Big Picture TV 525
    Sirocco Military Gear and Equipment

Published on Feb 16, 2017
    United States Army television show "The Big Picture" about the Cold Weather & Mountain School, 1962.

3. Rollie Free

Rollie Free Midas Member Midas Member

How can they possibly survive? They have no Goretex.

True story.
    This past year I was climbing LaPlata Peak in Colorado (5th highest elevation 14er in the Rockies). It was a pretty sparse trail that day. Some might say miserable but I love misty, sleety weather. I met a group coming down who had decided the weather and wind were too much for them, they were turning back. They had all the bright colored, overpriced clothing and gear. One of them told me I'd never make it in my bluejeans. I silently chuckled. Made it to the ridgeline and it was indeed windy and moist but I made it up just fine. Spent some time on the peak and hiked back down and never saw another soul.
    I am not anti modern gear but do modern hikers realize that people made these climbs long before REI started hawking this stuff?

4. mtnclimberjim

mtnclimberjim Gold Member Gold Chaser

Guide///District maint manager
    AAAhh the teeners, Just made reservations to go scramble up a few more in August. Going back into Chicago Basin and do Sunlight,Windom,Elous again. Also going to break down and fork out the cash to climb Culabra, $150 can you believe it? Oh well. It's going to put me over 70 summits.

Anyway I am notorious for climbing in my shorts. Made it to a ridge on one mountain and met some folks down climbing with ice ax, goggles,total storm shield. They wanted to set me straight that a front was moving in and that I better be careful. Sheesh, my pack had everything I needed to biv wack if need be. Silly people

5. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    Came down off Gannett in the late 90s and up on the glacier came upon a small group who had one member who had fallen and they feared a broken ankle. "
    Better not take that boot off " we said..."arteries".
    They were totally ill prepared.
    Had no equipment really.
    We pulled out a thermal emerg blanket and we left.
    Re: Not sharing OUR stuff ( like Jims ) with folks willingly putting themselves at risk to the front visibly coming.
    They even said....and I' ll never forget it...." we don t understand how this could have happened...we have been Scoutmasters for years "
    No joke. Point is....is you could easily get yourself killed just like a guy who jumps into ice water to save someone.
    We got down past the rock field just b4 the weather turned nasty and a evac helicopter blew past us going up to get them out.
    Big storm that night too.
    Regards to all.
    Hey MKJ....killer list you have there. Ive been living my mountain alternative life through your posts for some years now.
    Godspeed.
    Haystack

6. Rollie Free

Mtnjim,

I am somewhat fascinated by all the gear but am also a cynic, especially when it comes to marketing (not to mention a cheapskate).
    Can you relay what you've found to be overrated or useless and what you've experienced to be well worth it?

searcher and Hystckndle like this.
  7. mtnclimberjim

Fork out the cash for a good pair of boots and socks. never skimp on these. Storm shield Shell and tent. Hate to say it, but I love Gortex. Gor is finally getting more reasonable in price. I suffer from gear lust and have always kept my eye out for new stuff.
    When you reach a certain level of climbing, I've found that you are basically going to get what you pay for. I look at gear as investment in saving my ass first and comfort second. ( although discomfort can wreck a hike ) I've found you never go on the cheap. Like Colman,Columia or what I call the car camping companies trying to get into the climbing nitch.
    For instance, boots. I bought a pair of La Sportiva Mauks for damned near $400 many years ago. Those boots got me up 67 teeners and I'm just now sending them in for a resole. The rest of the boot is still great shape. Ya need a good super light Bivy sack, maybe not for overnight on the hill but you've seen the storms that can wack those peaks. If you have a long approach, take a good light water filter.
    Filter as you need it out of streams and ponds. Cuts off big pounds then load your dromedary at the last point before the ascent.
    I love Power gels. Get the caffeinated or not either way they recharge in a big way.
    I've actually tested gear. Arcteryx,Marrmot,Granit Gear, DanaDesign. The North Face has cheapened their gear in the last few years trying to capitalize on their brand.
    As you can tell this is a major passion of mine. I could go on and on.
    Bottom line is just get the hell out there and be as safe as you can.
    I always think of my hero Sir Edmond Hillary and look at his pics climbing Mt Everest. I am always fascinated by the gear he used.
    The latest in major comfort treat for me has been the Luxury Lite back packers cot. This has added one of the biggest joys to my nights out. Most all of my climbs require overnighters. I have actually reduced pack weight just to carry this sweety.
    I'll shut up now.

8. Hystckndle

I wore a pair of Sportivas for prob 2000 miles.
    Absolutely loved them.
    Best I pair have ever had.
    Bought a pair of Makalus but
    just sold them on Ebay.
    Not enough use anymore.
    Skimped in my earlier years on equipment..
    ..lost all my toenails, nearly a toe, and have been totally miserable being wet AND cold. Thats the worst.
    You for sure get what you pay for.

Jim is totally right about North Face.
    Another sell out company.

Hey Jim, the guy I used to travel a heap with passed last summer.
    A number of years back
    I went to one of his many slide shows and one time at the shop here they also had Tenzing Norgays son there. He showed original Kodachrome slides of the old Everest summit trips in 50s. Slides were totally original too.
    Totally cool it was since chromes are a bit like polaroids.
    It was a total life bonus to be there and see those slides.
    Been over there 1 time but on the west side in the Kali Ghandaki valley near Annapura and up to Mustang region. Never made it with him to the east side near base camp but he went there 4 or 5 .
    times. Incredible place.
    Never would have jawwed on about it if you hadnt have said that above.
    Dont shut up will ya. Its been good yacking about some stuff.
    I enjoy thoroughly hearing about it.
    Regards to all,
    Haystack

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  9. Rollie Free

You all might find this funny. Was doing Kit Carson this September with a friend. Woke up at the Willow lake to finish Challenger/Carson and I asked how he slept. Said, like I was on a spit grill all night. We both had foam pads, I tossed around all night also.
    Ok, so foam pads suck dogs. Do you think an inexpensive Big Agnes inflatable is sufficient (little R value)?
    I am a once or twice a year one night backpacker so putting $150 into it seems overkill.

10. mtnclimberjim

I went to one of Tenzing Norgays son's slide show's in Co Springs many years ago. Still have a signed poster on my garage wall. He was at the time trying to raise money to do cleanup and body removal off Everest. I'm so sorry for the loss of your climbing partner. That had to be a tough one. A good climbing partner is as hard to find as a good wife.

11. mtnclimberjim

Kit and Challenger in Sept? Wow!! There were probably a few snow fields? Bet that did get a bit nipply. Some folks are tough as nails when it comes to sleep conditions. As always ya get what ya pay for with gear. Me on the other hand cannot stand a lousy nights sleep, especially before a climb. As I said previously I have my luxury lite cot that is as important to me as my boots. I so remember getting up in the mornings after a climb and looking at another climb that day and can hardly move because of "rotiserizing" all night.
    At least get a Big Agnes or the trusted Thermarest. You don't want too much air between you and the ground, you'll get cold. I did a foam pad once when I was a wee lad and that was the last time, I swore never again.

Hey, If my memory serves me correctly doesn't one of those peaks have the "Causeway" ? That way cool side walk in the middle of the cliff face.
    Geez I am so pumped to get back on those hills.

12. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired
    REI has a luxury lite on sale if you're a member $165

Do you also need a therm-a-rest pad with it?

13. Rollie Free

You're probably thinking of Kit Carson Avenue. Cliff ledge that wraps around it.

mtnclimberjim likes this.
  14. mtnclimberjim

And how dumb......There was most likely no snow. Got my Months mixed up. Oh well

15. Rollie Free

No , very little snow.

Up at Willow lake,there is a canoe someone drug up there, complete with life vests. I took the opportunity to give it a try. So I am in the middle of this snow melt lake and a minor squall comes up and I am thinking of a couple in this very canoe a few years earlier. It tips and the gal survives, the guy does not. He is still at the bottom of this lake, they never found him
    Pretty creepy. The thought comes to me if I tip, will I meet the same fate? My Leadville cap blows off into the lake. I am able to retrieve it.
    I paddle back to shore. My hiking friend has been fly fishing the lake in vein. We set up camp and I become weird with this unshakable chill. I am thinking, there is no recourse. I am on my own. We build a fire and I hold my cap over the fire and then to my head repeatedly to warm myself. No relief. Getting worried. Finally I decide to check in. My wife sent along these foot shaped warmers I put in my socks along with a plethora of warmer pads I got from the Walmart near Breckenridge. I finally settle down. Was a bit worried. I sleep in this semi crappy sleeping bag and 1 inch pad (never again). I take some over counter sleeping pills and drift off. The next morning I awake early and pull down the food from the trees (to thwart non existent bears). Wake up my hiking partner, and we make our way up Challenger and then on to Kit Carson. We meet another hiker along the way who has better route finding skills. I am a bit suspicious of the guy but my partner takes his advice as gospel.
    Find out later he texts his 'husband' everything is alright. I am turned off by this. So many beautiful women in the world and we seem to keep running into them. That's the thing about Colorado. It seems to bring out some pretty hearty women. It's hard not to notice. Healthy and attractive.

16. Rollie Free

Ordered and received a Big Agnes sleeping pad this week. Really looking forward to using this. Extra light. Am able to inflate in 1 ot 2 minutes. Very comfy. 40 bucks so it's a low end high end. Well worth it.

mtnclimberjim and searcher like this.
  17. searcher

'Swiss Machine' climber Ueli Steck dies on Mount Everest after 'slipping and falling 3,000 ft - severing his body into bits and pieces'
    • Ueli Steck, 40, was discovered on the Nuptse Face of the mountain today
    • He died after falling 3,280 ft down the mountain and severing his body
    • Steck planned to climb Everest and Lhotse in Nepal for the first time since 1963
    • He climbed the world's highest mountain without extra oxygen in 2012

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4459912/Swiss-climber-Ueli-Steck-killed-Mount-Everest.html#ixzz4fmLpbsA7
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

18. mtnclimberjim

Just got my Sportivas back from Dave Page Cobblers out of Seattle WA. Read an article in Back packer mag (I know what a lib rag that is) that said they are the best in the world for resol. $100 bucks and I got my buddies back. couldn't believe what a fantastic job they did.
    Less than 80 days until my next 14ner climbs. Looks like 4 summits on the docket in 7 days.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  19. Rollie Free

Have a good time in Chicago Basin, that's on my someday list. Will be going to the San Juans late next month to warm up on Handies, trying to coax my 14 year old up, and then Wetterhorn most likely solo.
    But Jim, shame on you for doing Culebra. Such a sellout (;

20. mtnclimberjim

I know right? All the years we climbed we would always say we would never pay to climb that Mtn. Now look at us, $150 bucks sheesh.
    Wetterhorn is a cool climb. You'll love that one. My wife uses a rock I brought back from the Wetterhorn for her class room door stop.
    This will be our second trip into Chicago Basin. Weather beat us down off Eleous last time.
    We will be taking the Silverton Narrow gauge railroad in and have them drop us off at the trail head.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    searcher and Rollie Free like this.
  21. mtnclimberjim

That Big Agnes pad looks like a pretty good deal

Rollie Free likes this.
  22. Rollie Free

121676.jpg 20170626_133544.jpg Update.

Did Handies. My 14 year old not only made it up but raced up ahead of 'us'. I say us because my wife at the last minute decided to go with us. Shocked because she isn't one for rigorous affairs.
    She caught mountain fever (it's a beautiful hike) and just kept going. Even slipped on a snowy ledge and bonked her leg pretty good, did she yowl. Got to the last push and she announced she wasn't stopping. So proud of her.
    Two days later I did a solo of Wetterhorn. Really solo as no one else was on the mountain. Only got lost once on the way up and danced around some dicy areas. Came to the final class 3 push (you fall, you die) and said 'I am not doing that'!. But told myself to at least start up. Was very careful and fear subsided. Concentrated heavy on the way down.
    Then the fun started. The area was confusing and I ended up going down a bad slope. Loose rock everywhere. Grabbed onto a coffee table sized rock and it slipped, let off and it took off like a rocket down the steep slope and over a ledge I hadn't detected before. I had to be very careful not to meet the same fate. Finally came to a snow field which I thought might be of some help. Started kick stepping in and about a third of the way over the snow is so hard I can barely get anything going. Slipped off maybe 3 or 4 times using my clawed arm as an ice axe. Glad I had brought some trekking poles too. Finally made it to a steep area that had some shrubbery which helped the rock to stay in place.
    Bad route finding. Really need to get better at this. I follow cairns but they always seem to disappear and I don't seem too intuitive.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  23. searcher

:beer: :beer: :beer:

24. Rollie Free

Jim,

You should be in the time frame of the Chicago Basin about now. Expect a trip report soon. Btw, the Big Agnes sleeping pad is a godsend. You're right, a good, comfortable sleep is worth every penny.

25. mtnclimberjim

I made it home. The Chicago Basin was as fantastic as ever. Far more crowded than I like but oh well.
    Did Culabra the day after landing in CO. Was pretty concerned about acclimating to the altitude. Luckily I wasn't bothered at all. I'll give a better update later/with pics.
    I am now a 14er finisher, Yahoooo. For me that is a real big deal.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    searcher, Joe King and Hystckndle like this.
  26. Rollie Free

Congrats Jim, that is quite an accomplishment. Its been in the back of my mind but at this stage I don't have it on my bucketlist. Living in Nebraska requires at least a 7 hour drive to get to the nearest 14er. I am piddling at 17 14ers now. I did Quandary and Longs this past weekend. Longs was all I'd been led to believe. It was supposed to be one of the classic hikes/climbs in the West and it didn't disappoint. Its a lot of 14er climbers favorites. I was going to try and be stuffy about it after all the hype but......it was pretty awesome and now stands at the top of my list. I would relish doing it again sometime.
    And by the way, never saw so many pretty, fit young ladies. Saw a few of them crying and turning back or getting stuck but most of them were very hardy, friendly girls. If I were in the market I might just hang around Longs. Saw one other thing of interest. Started up about 3 am and passed this older guy (60+ish) standing on the trail in pitch dark about 4:30, looking around. Said a greeting and he just nodded. Had no visible means of support. No pack, no jacket, no water, nothing. Later in the day after I'd summitted and was coming back down I ran into him again. He was still on his way up. There are just some tough old birds who evidently don't read Backpacker or buy gear. Old Edward Abbey types.

27. mtnclimberjim

Man eater Marmmot.JPG Climbing Culabras ridge.JPG More camp pets.JPG Chicago Basin base camp.JPG flowers in the Basin.JPG Ok guys here are a few pics from my 14er trip in Colorado. Most of these pics are from Chicago Basin. There are a few from the Culabra hike. That pic of the Marmot was from the summit of Culabra. The little shit came up and started chewing on my boot. Had to smack him with my hiking pole.
    Just to get to the Basin we took the train from Silverton and they drop us off at the Needelton trail head. Then we hump another 7 miles into the Basin. So glad I had been doing training hikes at home, it saved my bacon. My pack was an easy 65lbs.
    The Mountain Goats were crazy thick in the basin. They hang out with the campers and eat the ground where you pee. They are salt starved.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  28. mtnclimberjim

more pics.
    Rob and I on Eolus Summit.JPG Sunlight & Windom from Eolus.JPG Aproaching the Catwalk Eolus.JPG Culabra Summit.JPG Looking back down into Chicago Basin from Eolus summit.JPG

searcher, Hystckndle and Joe King like this.
  29. Rollie Free

Looks pretty awesome Jim, great pictures.

Sounds like quite the adventure. The San Juans are amazing.

searcher likes this.
  30. mtnclimberjim

Now my wife wants to join me on the quest to bag the 12er's of Idaho. Found 9 of them. They all look doable class 3. Some have some significant mileage on approach but hey with my wife with me a night out in the tent wont be bad. Here is a link if ya want to see them. http://www.idahoaclimbingguide.com/the-12ers/

31. Hystckndle

Fantastic pics. Thanks x 1000

searcher likes this.
  32. mtnclimberjim

Chicago Basin.JPG Our ride out of the Basin.JPG Looking back into the Basin.JPG Sun rise.JPG Chicago Basin.JPG Hiking with pets.JPG base camp.JPG Red Mountains 1-2-3.JPG Yanky Boy Basin.JPG Trudging up to Eolus.JPG More pics of the Colorado trip. Some of these were taken on a 4x4 trip we took for a day

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    searcher, Rollie Free and Hystckndle like this.
  33. searcher

Great pics. Thanks for sharing your adventure!!

Edit:

Jim & Rollie...........do you do anything special to get into shape or maintain fitness for climbing?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  34. mtnclimberjim

I've found that just staying active and watch the ol food intake works just fine. Of coarse the best way to prepare for a big climb is to climb (hike). It's also a big mental thing, gotta prep for that.
    I'm not an athlete and I'm sure there are those out there who would say lifting weights and running are a must, but I hate that stuff.

35. Rollie Free

Glad you asked because I could go on about it all day.

I have a very unique regimen. I don't really exercise for exercising's sake. I was told, and believe, that you must have a mission or you'll not enjoy getting and being in shape, you'll tend to flounder. Whatever you do, you should be bursting at the seems to want to do it.
    I spend roughly 6 months training for powerlifting and 6 months for mountain climbing. If that sounds diametrically opposed its because it is. The two things I really enjoy doing have nothing in common.
    In the fall/winter time I usually weigh about 230-235 and concentrate on short, quick burst of power. I won't brag, ....but I will. I am one of the better master lifters around, especially when it comes to the deadlift. Last year I mounted an attempt to break the American record for my genre and age group. I couldn't quite get there but I enjoyed the quest. Maybe I'll try again this year. I can feel aging some and see why records are in my grasp. Other masters have moved on or suffering the same fate as me.

Then about late March I completely turn over what I do. Aerobics, stair climbing, uphill treadmills, massive rep hip sleds. Since I live at about 1,500 ft, I have to work a lot harder to thrive at 14,000. I have used a dust mask while training. Seems to help out. My weight this year dropped from starting at 234 down to, at one point (after working out hard) 197. Oh yeah, I also change my diet quite a bit.
    One thing I really, really don't like but force myself to do is run. How in God's name people derive pleasure from this completely escapes me. I do it but not happily and I don't do too much of it. I'd rather do almost anything else fitness wise.

Each year I tweak and test my mountain climbing faze. It certainly doesn't come natural to me. I suspect my genetic V02 Max isn't great. While I am a pretty good powerlifter I am a pretty average mountain climber. I just enjoy it immensely. It becomes enjoyable as much for its physical challenges as it does its aesthetics. I've got three weeks left and will probably make one last trip for the year. Then I am going to eat whatever I want.
    I am open to any advice on training. I like to tinker with it.

36. Rollie Free

Jim,

Is that one picture Slumgullion? The multi-colored mountain?

37. mtnclimberjim

I believe I did see a sign saying that. We peaked on a map and it just said red mountains 1,2,3. just as you crest the California pass, I think. The contrast was amazing.
    That is way cool on the fitness schedule. That is so far and away from mine. You are one of those guys that leave me in their dust and sit on the summits and barely break a sweat. I do throw in some mountain biking once in awhile though. As you can see in some of the pics, my climbing partner Rob has put on a few since we first started climbing. I get allot of breaks waiting for him but he keeps slogging along. We have stuck together on our climbs through thick and thin for 20+ years.

38. Rollie Free

Ha,not break a sweat? Hardly. Like I said, I am pretty average at best.

Btw, have you been keeping up with what has been happening on Capitol Peak? 5 reported deaths this summer.
    A little over a week ago a young couple fell, both died. A few days later at almost the same spot a young guy fell to his death.

searcher likes this.
  39. mtnclimberjim

Those deaths are just crazy. I just don't get it. I think it's just gotten way to crowded on those peaks with exposure. Sounds like that last kid had attitude and zero experience.
    Have you done Capitol? I thought it was a blast but I stayed on the standard route. That is one peak you do not mess with going off route. Eolus had me more flustered than Capitol. The route finding on the face was a real bitch. If I did it over I'd do the ridge, It's all class 4 anyway.
    They pulled a guy off the Blanca traverse when I was out there also.
    Going to try and talk the wife into starting our first 12er summit attempt this weekend. I am needing another climb.

searcher likes this.