1. Finally, a week without a .gov holiday, oil catching a bid on hope
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Monday Morning! Gold starts the week down 1.5 to 1256, while Silver is flat at 18.34. Crude is up 50 to 5449. The USD is flat at 101.06
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 2/25/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1258.30-- UP 19.20 Silver $18.33-- UP 30 Oil $53.99-- UP 21 USD $101.09 -- UP 14 tics Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE 2017 $1309.66 (1), SAE $21.82 (20)

Need recommendations for nice backpacking trails/loops out west?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing, Boating, HIking, Trapping' started by Ahillock, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Ahillock

Ahillock A nobody Mother Lode

I believe we are going to take another family trip out west this summer. Will do backpacking and visiting national parks. Would appreciate any ideas of nice backpacking loops to consider. Probably something <20-25 miles.

High on my list is North Cascades National Park (WA), Sawtooth National Forest (ID), Glacier National Park (MT) and maybe part of the Wonderland Trail around the base of Mt. Rainer (WA).

Any one have trailers that you would strongly recommend I consider?

searcher likes this.
  2. tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1 Silver Member Silver Miner

In Mt. Rainier, one of the best trails is the Panorama Point trail from Paradise (~6 mile loop, lot of elevation gain). A couple of others start at Sunrise. The best one IMO is to 2nd Burroughs Mountain (about the same specs as the Panorama Point trail). Not on the trail maps, you can continue from there to 3rd Burroughs, a couple more miles and higher. 2nd best trail there is to the Fremont Mountain lookout point. Parking at peak times can be very tight, especially at Paradise. You can extend any of these into bigger hikes with other trails.

searcher, Scorpio and Ahillock like this.
  3. Ahillock

Thank you tigger. What would you say is the length of the 2nd Burroughs Mountain trail? We will be packing everything in and spending a few nights on the trail. Wouldn't mind hiking in and setting up camp and then taking day hikes out as well. Would just like to get in deep enough so that we don't see as many people on the trails.

4. REO 54

REO 54 Midas Member Midas Member

I second the Cascades. Also look into Banff National park in Canada. Very beautiful place to visit and with the cheap Canadian dollar could be great value.

The Ho rainforest out on the Olympic Peninsula is another good one too.

Ahillock likes this.
  5. Ahillock

We really enjoyed our backpacking trip to the Olympic National Park 2 years ago. We did the Marmot Pass trail and spent a few nights at a campsite and did day hikes out from there. Very very pretty looking out into the interior of the Olympics. Very underrated national park imo.

6. REO 54

REO 54 Midas Member Midas Member

7. tigerwillow1

The length of the 2nd Burroughs trail in Mt. Rainier is 6 miles round-trip from the Sunrise parking lot. You can't camp on Borroughs, however. There's a walk-in campground about a mile from the Sunrise parking lot, which is all there is in the immediate vicinity. There are a lot of hiking trials in this area, and also from the White River campground which is not far from Sunrise (as the crow flies) except maybe 2,000 or so feet lower. If you spend time in one of the developed campgrounds, IMO the nicest one is Ohanapecosh. Not very many trails right there, however, unless you hike further than I ever have. Mt. Rainier is awesome! I go every year and never get enough. Here are some links to get started:

http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/wilderness-camping-and-hiking.htm
    http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/trails-of-mount-rainier.htm
    http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/sunrise.htm

Ahillock likes this.
  8. tigerwillow1

Only place I've been where it rained inside the car. Water was dripping down off of the inside of the windshield.

9. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    is trail defined as unimproved right of way?

10. mtnclimberjim

mtnclimberjim Gold Member Gold Chaser

Guide///District maint manager
    I grew up in the Sawtooth and White Cloud mountains. Sawtooth's have become way overcrowded (Red Fish Lake area). I would head into the White Clouds. They are just on the other side of the valley. Fantastic fishing and much more remote. The lakes are my main love. The Boulder Chain lakes are a blast.

Where I live now there are the Seven Devils. Thats where I spend most my back packing trips now days. It's one of the few destinations where you can drive to altitude. Meaning you get out of your car, take a hump over the goat trail and your in the lake area. Has a 20 something mile loop that seems to be real popular with folks. As for myself I like to bush wack and get to where Im going quickly.
    The fishing in these lakes is fantastic also. What ever you decide in Idaho you'll love it.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    Ahillock and REO 54 like this.