1. Stocks rebound yesterday to plug their losing streak, metals pull back
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Weds Morning! Gold is down 3 to 1252, while Silver is down 8 to 18.16. Crude is up 27 to 4864. The USD is up 9 to 9964.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 3/25/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1248.50-- UP 18.30 Silver $17.75-- UP 34 Oil $47.97-- DOWN 134 TICS USD $99.42 -- DOWN 66 tics

NFL Playoffs 2016

Discussion in 'Golf, Football, and all Ball sports' started by the_shootist, Jan 11, 2016.

1. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    I know some of you out there must be NFL fans so I started this thread hoping we can get a discussion going for this year's playoffs. I'll start....

After watching the games this 'Wild Card Weekend' I feel like I just witnessed the WWF all over again. Some of these 'professional football players' seem to be nothing more that muscle bound thugs

The NFL is beginning to look like the streets of Chicago and I'm starting to question the 'integrity of the game' as Commissioner Goddell likes to put it.

2. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford Midas Member Midas Member

wastewater
    The NFL is getting more and more difficult to watch. Thugs run amok. Too many games decided by officiating. Ticky tack penalties with zero consistency. Is it a catch, isnt it a catch? Commentators that know zero about the teams they are calling. The oral gratification of all things Tom Brady and Rob gronkowski. The vast number of games coincidenatly decided by the Vegas point spread with a surprising rate on consistencey. I could go on and on....

3. Flight2gold

Flight2gold Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter ++

pilot
    Thugs run amok no doubt. Cincinnati players 55 an 24 behavior was deplorable. Should both be tossed out of the league. Unfortunately never happen.
    It is amazing how computers in Vegas can be so accurate. Wink,wink.
    Pretty close to tomorrows Powerball lottery numbers. Someone knows the numbers and where the ticket is from already. I'm not saying I didn't buy some tickets.
    Don't hack on Tom. He's got a nice looking wife.

4. Flight2gold

pilot
    NFL Commissioner at a complete loss of where to go next.

[​IMG]

Today while watching the first half of the Carolina Seattle playoff game Roger Goodell, NFL Commissioner, was at a loss concerning the direction of sports casting of the remaining NFL season. He lamented, with our favorite team, The Seattle Seahawks, taking a shellacking by Carolina and the 2nd half not looking good I'm not sure the broadcasting will be the same for 2016. All of our broadcasters know full well to dolt on and use every PC connotation possible on every Seattle player, the coach and the city. They know the new direction of the NFL.
    We can dig up every conceivable positive statistic of all the Seattle players. Our computers have been programed specifically for this action while digging up any dirt on the Patriots at the same time. "During the 2015/2016 regular games, especially Monday and Thursday night football, it was easy as pie to hack Tom Brady. Now its going to be much more difficult", Goodell said. He also added that Bill Belichick, New England Patriots coach, was an easy target and fun to bash. Without admitting anything specifically he joked about Belichick ducking next time from his right cross haymaker.
    He stated maybe Seattle can come back? It would probably be the greatest comeback in NFL history or if it isn't we'll make sure it seems that way.
    On his way out of the interview, at the end of the game, he was seen to kick a can but he was quick enough to not let the door hit him from behind while mumbling something about the Patriots case appeal and the best way to spin the Seattle loss in the press. Someone in his entourage stated to blame the coach.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is an Onionish type post completely in jest. No offense to any Seattle fans, players or the coach. Maybe Goodell.
    Doug Baldwin, Seattle 89, actually went to high school in my Florida town. He's a great guy and has been to the house many times. Our family wishes him nothing but the best except beating the Patriots.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  5. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    I don't mind watching the game.

What I object to is being subjected to the two game callers with their 'VOICE OF FOOTBALL' throughout the process.

I'd love to put the radio on for the local call of the game, but they figured that out and delay their broadcast.
    Can't have folks getting the local flavor of the game when we have high paid talkers now, can we?

The two 'stars' are about as fun to listen to as maybe Hillary or Obaama speechifying.

And then there's the obligatory female announcer they toss a bone to in between plays, just so they appear diversified.
    She gets the man-on-the-field assignments so you feel you get the 'real' story of the Christians feeding the Lions.

Just thought of new team names! The Christians and The Lions. Probably wouldn't fly though....

6. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

moved thread to the new forum ball sports, leisure activities

fyi

7. REO 54

REO 54 Midas Member Midas Member

Seahawks aren't coming back right now.... ......7/31 Patriots lead....

8. SilverCity

SilverCity Gold Member Gold Chaser

retired aerospace
    Seattle sure stunk it up during the final moments of the Super Bowl last year. Showed no class (except for Russ Wilson).

Go Pats.

SC

9. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    Peyton Manning's Pre-AFC Championship Voicemail To Tom Brady

SilverCity likes this.
  10. the_shootist

Architect
    Actually, I was impressed with Richard Sherman's class after that game. Lynch on the other hand is an ape.
    [​IMG]

SilverCity likes this.
  11. SilverCity

retired aerospace
    LOL...What's with that picture? Does he want to shake his hand or is he trying to steal the ball? Great video, BTW. My wife will appreciate it.

SC

12. Flight2gold

pilot
    Just wanted to say good luck to anyone with a team still in the running for Super Bowl 50.

My prediction for the last two teams has changed to the Patriots, of course, and Arizona.

I think Arizona maneuvers past Carolina on Sunday.

13. the_shootist

Architect
    I think both games will be good. Don't underestimate the Broncos or the Panthers. I see both games as a tossup

Flight2gold likes this.
  14. Flight2gold

pilot
    No way. Both teams have the talent to do it.

15. the_shootist

Architect
    Agreed, but that's why they play the game. :)

16. Flight2gold

pilot
    Manning caught replaying all his commercials during game.

[​IMG]

During a recent game teammates of Denver Broncos quarterback, Peyton Manning, were reported to have observed him replaying, what looked like,
    all the television commercials he has starred in recently. In the past, when the opposing team's offense takes the field, Manning can be seen reviewing
    game film from the upper booth where certain members of the Broncos organization, the offensive coordinator specifically, plan to take apart the other teams defense.
    Unfortunately, during this game he apparently just didn't feel like it. Other teammates reportedly commented that, "he even had the volume turned way up", on his team provided media device. Another teammate commented, "It's down right rude, dude, to be playing your shxx at max volume during the game."
    One said, "I was trying hard to listen to the calls but there was some tv commercials about pizza and car insurance playing down the line the whole xxxxxxx game."
    Others chimed in stating, "Watch that crap on your own time. We all got our sponsorships and make a ton of cash for doing practically nothing but man, really?"
    When asked about the reports of his watching commercials he stated, "I apologize for not answering any questions today but I have a large number of team related meetings." He was then rushed out the interview room by other Broncos organization members.
    According to Roger Goodell, NFL Commissioner, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has played his television commercials during games also. When asked to clarify that statement he mumbled something about, "the lack of air in the room" , and quickly departed.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  17. SilverCity

retired aerospace
    Wow. Now all eyes turn to Charlotte...

Go Cards.

SC

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  18. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Broncos dethrone Patriots, win AFC's spot in Super Bowl 50 - USA TODAY, by

[​IMG]
    USA TODAY

Broncos dethrone Patriots, win AFC's spot in Super Bowl 50
    USA TODAY
    DENVER – Breaking down the Denver Broncos’ 20-18 victory Sunday over the New England Patriots in the AFC championship game.

THE BIG PICTURE: In the much-hyped 17th matchup between quarterbacks Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, it was the player that most had counted out that shined the brightest.

With a tightly contested victory, Manning and the Broncos are going to the Super Bowl.

Because of diminished arm strength and a litany of struggles all season long that stemmed from a partially torn plantar fascia, Manning and the Broncos came into this matchup as home underdogs. The narrative all week long was that the Broncos would need to play a nearly perfect game to take down the Patriots.

It turns out all they needed was a stingy defense and for Manning to be steady, smart and effective.

Brady fell to 2-7 in his career in Denver. He remains one of the NFL’s all-time greats at quarterback, but on Sunday, Manning, 39, was the better quarterback – by far.

Manning completed 17 of his 32 passing attempts for 176 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions.

Brady, by comparison, was 27 of 56 for 310 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions.

Manning improved his record versus Brady to 11-6. More importantly, the Broncos QB has a chance to add to his legacy and will have the opportunity to win his second Super Bowl trophy.

HOW THEY DID IT: The Broncos built an excellent game plan to take down the Patriots.

It started on defense. Denver’s interior pass rush dominated New England’s offensive line, taking away the chance for Brady to step into his throws. Then, edge rushers DeMarcus Ware and Von Miller generated pressure and kept Brady uncomfortable throughout the game.

Denver, which ranked No. 1 in the NFL in the regular season with 52 sacks, produced four quarterback takedowns on Sunday. More importantly, the Broncos didn’t need to blitz too much to get to Brady.

Denver routinely dropped seven in coverage, allowing its secondary to blanket New England’s pass catchers. With the Patriots traditionally relying on a quick-release throws, Denver’s coverages got Brady and the Patriots out of rhythm.

On offense, Denver opted for a mostly balanced attack, with a slight lean toward the passing game. Manning analyzed New England’s defense and exploited the matchups he wanted, especially with tight end Owen Daniels, who hauled in two touchdown passes in the first half.

In the second half, Denver won by taking the advantage in the battle for field position. Though Denver managed only three second-half points, the Broncos' defense constantly pinned New England deep in its own territory and didn’t let the Patriots move the chains.

KEY PLAY: It came down to the two-point conversion. After an incredible Rob Gronkowski touchdown catch to put the Patriots within two, Brady was picked off on the ensuing two-point try that kept the Broncos in the lead, and forced an onside kick.

KEY STAT: The Patriots offense looked like an extremely dangerous unit after a first-round bye and a 27-20 victory against the Chiefs in the divisional round. But Denver’s defense stifled New England all day long, allowing the Patriots to convert just six of 17 third-down attempts.

X-FACTOR: Broncos linebacker Von Miller was exceptional on Sunday, and the Patriots didn’t have an answer for him. He collected five tackles, one interception and 2.5 sacks, setting a Broncos single-game record for most sacks in a playoff game.

WHAT’S NEXT: It’s on to Santa Clara. The Broncos will face the winner of the NFC Championship Game between the Arizona Cardinals and the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl 50, held on February 7 in Santa Clara, Calif.

The Patriots, considered to be the favorites at the start of the postseason to emerge from the AFC, head home for a disappointing end to a season that saw the team start 10-0.

PHOTOS: Best of AFC Championship Game
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...afc-championship-game-super-bowl-50/79276578/

19. the_shootist

Architect
    Big Pats fan here.

Great Denver defense. They were terrific. Great to see Payton have one more shot...the man has earned it.
    Pats showed a lot of heart but Denver was the better team today. Good luck against the Panthers...I hate those guys!!!

20. Flight2gold

pilot
    Yep, Denver played a great game for sure. Congrats to the Broncos.
    Congrats even to the Panthers.

21. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Well done, old man! Peyton Manning, 39, is joined by his bashful son, four, after becoming the oldest quarterback to reach the Super Bowl as his Broncos beat Tom Brady's Patriots 20-18
    • Peyton Manning spoke to the media with his son Marshall at his side
    • Marshall, four, was bashfully peeking out from behind his dad during the press conference
    • The Denver Broncos beat the New England Patriots in the AFC Championships in Denver, Colorado on Sunday
    • The final score of the game at Sports Authority Field at Mile High was 20-18
    • Though Peyton Manning is on the edge of retirement, the quarterback could have one more chance at scoring a second Super Bowl ring
    • The Broncos will play the Carolina Panthers in the Super Bowl

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3414908/Denver-Broncos-advance-Super-Bowl-giving-quarterback-Peyton-Manning-chance-championship-ring-amid-retirement-rumors.html#ixzz3yGe7lAGm
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Flight2gold likes this.
  22. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Just looking for opinions. I don't follow pro-sports. Personally, I find it offensive to see people paying players millions to play a child's game. But around the water cooler up here in French Canuckistan, the topic of the day was ... Are they calling it Super Bowl 50 instead of Super Bowl L because the average football fan lacks the understanding of Roman numerals .. or do you buy into the 'official' story that Super Bowl L simply couldn't be made into a pretty logo? Thoughts?

23. Flight2gold

pilot
    Some Canadians found to not like Apple pie, Chevrolet and Baseball.

[​IMG]

Recent polling has indicated that some Canadians don't like some American past times such as apple pie, Chevrolet and baseball.
    The nationwide poll ask a wide range of questions and came to some startling conclusions. Obviously maple leafs, moose, beaver tails , Justin Bieber and Canada day were tops. Certain questions were asked that indicated a propensity to not like things related to America even though these items and things were harmless or inanimate. Others that topped the poll were the words, "eh" and "brownnoser".
    Although "homo milk" did make the top of the list anytime this question was shown to the pollsters it exhibited so much laughter that this question was eventually removed. Several other items that were Canadian winners were cheese curd on fries, the idea that graffiti should include "have a nice day" and mickey, the Canadian mans flask that fits perfectly into a Canadian woman's purse.
    When words were used in combination such as, "hang a larry homo milk, eh" statistical anomalies began to occur and this part of the poll was eventually removed.
    Other items to make the list, Kraft dinner (powdered cheese), stag, the idea that a drunk bicycle thief would actually post his phone number to return the stolen bicycle, the warm feeling Canadians get when every gps points straight to the nearest Tim Hortons and the loose use of actual proper forms of spelling. Although the pollsters included one item, they weren't sure what to make of the Canadians love of ads like, "For men who'd rather be with a woman than on a horse." Several pollsters did mention the fact of the possibility of some cultural crossover with Middle East sheepherders but nothing definitively could be concluded. Two more items in the posted category included, "You are entering an area with a high level of beaver activity" and "I got no one to go out with tonight, I wonder if that moose is stag?"
    When looked at as a whole there were some cross cultural similarity's with an American poll that included items such as scantly clad women skiing, the love of beer and hockey. There showed a small like of Canadian football but because no Canadian team will ever make the Super Bowl it was very low on the scale. The pollsters did personally apologize to the audience for never being able to make the Super Bowl and immediately they were all friends again.
    When the intelligence portion of the poll was administered shouts of "keener" were heard. One pollster asked and was told an overachiever. Basically, education and intelligence is for those silly Americans. This correlates exactly to the study completed by Canadian Gordon Pennycock.
    Pennycock completed a Canadian study on bullshxx who's findings indicate a correlation between bullshxx and pseudo low intelligence.
    Pennycock stated that, "Bullshxx is a tricky thing." To not throw a bad light on things Canadian he concluded, "Hidden meaning transforms unparalleled abstract beauty." Translated, "that pile of moose crap sure is beautiful."
    -----------------------------------
    No real offense to any Canadian. Have several friends from up there. Just a quick response I wrote to an anti American jab.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  24. ArkWv

ArkWv Gold Member Gold Chaser

handyman, and not the fellow from "In Living Color
    Back in SB 40 they went with SB XL, and I swear most people I know thought it stood for Super Bowl Extra Large. I shit you not they believed that. So it doesn't surprise me that there is no L involved this time.

25. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Flight2gold likes this.
  26. Flight2gold

pilot
    searcher likes this.
  27. xhomerx10

xhomerx10 Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter

I think those team names are already taken.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Then you can throw Colin Kaepernick and Tim Tebow into the mix. We're already there!