1. kenyan care remains, no vote. Libtards and msm declare massive victory.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have a great weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 3/25/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1248.50-- UP 18.30 Silver $17.75-- UP 34 Oil $47.97-- DOWN 134 TICS USD $99.42 -- DOWN 66 tics

No More Craigslist!

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by gliddenralston, Mar 2, 2013.

1. gliddenralston

gliddenralston Gold Member Gold Chaser

Posted an ad on craigslist, what a mistake.

Its a giant CESSPOOL of deadbeats, losers, spammers, scammers, foreigners & time wasters.

Just like EBAY.:mad:

blueice, Argentium, nickndfl and 5 others like this.
  2. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

In the past 2 years I advertised several things (boat, computer and some exercise equipment) on the Philadelphia area craigslist. Some of the messages I received had nothing to do with what I was selling. I agree........cesspool. Con-artists, scammers, thieves, nut jobs, & perverts. Don't think I'll be advertising any thing else on there any time soon.

3. TomD

TomD It blowed up, y'all Platinum Bling

construction, engineering
    I've had very good success with CL, having sold 6-7 things, including a car, over the past year. Haven't tried any PM's though; I can see how that would be a crook magnet.

But I live in a small metro area that tends culturally military and Southern.

4. ArkWv

ArkWv Gold Member Gold Chaser

handyman, and not the fellow from "In Living Color
    I'm new to CL and have two successful ads answered w/o problems,
    but I'm not near slummy cities either. Guess it makes a difference.
    :beerglass:

Hope+Change and Usury like this.
  5. hoarder

hoarder Banned

Craigslist has put the hurt on newspapers. hardly anyone buys them anymore. The main reason they sold was that people wanted to read the classifieds.
    The papers not only lost the revenue from advertising, but they lost the political influence they had. To the newspapers, Craigslist is the worst thing that ever happened. They tried real hard to buy them out for large sums of money but Craigslist refused, so far at least. I think it's likely that most of the spamming is coming from media sponsored JIDF's.

6. Mad_Max

Mad_Max New Member

agnut, freud198, Pragmatist and 24 others like this.
  7. CopperSilverGold

CopperSilverGold Silver Member Silver Miner

Ok time for the real job - district manager for na
    I've had very good luck as well. Adopted a couple of animals off it, found a couple of quality roommates, and have done 50-60 successful silver, gold or coin transactions. No complaints here.

8. Billboard

Billboard Seeker Seeker

Having a bit of life experience helps when doing business on CL.

If you are young and naive, CL will certainly get you scammed or hurt.

But if you know how to weed out the undesirables, your chances of success are much better.

Having said that, dealing through CL has been profitable in my experience, also much of a time waster.

Cheers.

Usury likes this.
  9. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

Could you share a little more of your experience that produced a blanket condemnation.
    This was your first time?
    What were you buying/selling?

My craigslist experience has been overall positive.
    I've bought & sold tons of stuff.
    You have to be willing to weed through & ignore the trash.

agnut, Aurumag, Ebie and 1 other person like this.
  10. searcher

Glockngold............I have no clue what happened in the OP's dealings on craigslist but some of the stuff I've dealt with include:

- getting calls from characters either drunked or drugged up (lol - perhaps both = drecked) calling me at 10, 11 or 12 at night talking about coming over and "checking my sh-t out" lol In some of the calls the caller sounded like he/she was speaking in tongues. lol

- getting emails from people (this happened more than once) who "weren't interested in what I was selling but they liked the way I worded my ad and wanted to know if I would be interested in meeting up" lol That wasn't about to happen.

- getting emails from people telling me they think that what ever I had listed was in "great shape and just what they were looking for. They wanted to send me a check and give me directions on how and where to ship the item to them." Now you have to understand that this is totally outta the blue. They want to send me a check for something I've advertised on line with out ever looking at it in person. I'm pretty sure the check would have been bogus and had I cashed it I would have been liable for the $$$$. Now this really doesn't bother me........I can usually see a con coming a mile away. But what about some poor honest soul who can't spot a con and looses a bunch of money because of some thieving scum trolling craigslist just looking for someone to bilk? Not cool if you ask me.

- getting both calls and emails from people who literally gave me hard luck stories and asked if I would like to help them out by donating the stuff to them. lol

Maybe me using the OP's term "cesspool" was a bit harsh but I certainly hit the nail on the head with con-artists, nut jobs and pervs. lol

11. Rollie Free

Rollie Free Midas Member Midas Member

Hey, its free. Need to just follow a few rules. You make the decisions on when to meet and don't put yourself out. There is a 50/50 chance a buyer will show up. Don't wait around. Try to meet at a safe neutral site if you are selling something valuable. ALWAYS deal in cash. I said ALWAYS.

Just use common sense.

Usury likes this.
  12. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

I was scammed for $600 on a purchase with FLEABAY !!!
    I won't sell/buy on ether one.
    Beware in today's marketplace, all is not what it seems.

13. Alex Lemas

Alex Lemas Seeker Seeker

retired
    Just bought a nice Honda Rebel 250. Good clean deal, good price.

14. chewy

chewy Seeker Seeker

Like everyone else has said, after you learn the ropes and can detect the spam, cons, and all the other BS - Craigslist is probably the best representation of a free market we currently have available. And it's free to boot.

In five minutes you can list anything you want for free, find jobs, apts., furniture, heck even a future girlfriend.

ttazzman likes this.
  15. unomas

unomas New Member

I live in a nice area and never had problems with using Craigslist, but if you live near a larger city I'm sure there would be plenty of problems with the type of people you could be dealing with.

GOLDZILLA likes this.
  16. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter

Purchased a car from craigslist and sell car parts on the site. Haven't had any problems so far.

17. DodgebyDave

DodgebyDave Metal Messiah Midas Member

I've bought several engines and transmissions on CL, on trust. those deals are done at peoples shops and homes, so there is trust all around.

If your little voice says walk, walk away.

18. Eat Beef

Eat Beef Gold Member Gold Chaser

All this, PLUS:

Folks throwing a fit about how overpriced your items are.

Folks who say they want your item, then disappear.

Folks who want you to hold it until payday.

Folks who want you to bring it to them, an hour away.

Folks who want to trade shiny beads.

And my personal fave, folks who let you drive out, then double the price of their own item for sale.

I live close enough to Houston to get every crackhead imaginable. I still use it now and again, but avoid it if at all possible. If I figure in my time, it's normally better to give stuff away than deal with the Craigslist flakes.

gliddenralston and searcher like this.
  19. LarsonLarsen

LarsonLarsen Seeker Seeker

Master of ceremonies
    I personally love CL. Have done many transactions from both the buying and selling end.

Just off the top of my head

Bought: Various older video games that would have cost me a hell of a lot more anywhere else

Some nice fishing poles

Silver

Sold:

Car

Failed in selling a boat for my dad. Got a lot of lowball offers though

18K gold ring

Baseball card collection - sadly this was after the bottom fell out of that market

Video games/consoles

Computer(s)

CL is like anything else in life. Weed through the morons, scammers and flakes and you can swing a good deal and maybe meet some decent, like minded people.

Usury likes this.
  20. vichris

vichris Seeker Seeker

currently work as an enegy plant operator.
    There's a ton of variables with Craigslist. It really depends on what youre buying and selling and where you are. Personally I would neither buy nor sell PM's on CL....I've bought, sold, and rented a good variety of items on CL with very few problems.

It is true that just about everytime I list something I get several scammers. They are pretty easy to detect. Best way to weed out ALL scammers is to deal in cash up front only. If you are renting property do a thorough background check.

If they are from out of the country, and/or, use the phrase "majesty" or "particulars" I just delete it. If they give you some long drawn out story and if there's some "weird" english.....deeeeelete/goodby...................:boring:

Usury likes this.
  21. samwiii

samwiii Gold Member Gold Chaser

the_shootist, GOLD DUCK and Unca Walt like this.
  22. hoarder

hoarder Banned

There is more accountability in small communities than large cities. People in large cities routinely give their word and promptly break it. You can't get by with that kind of behavior in smaller communities. In big cities, integrity is optional.
    Not having to deal with city people, I have had better than 95% success with people in craigslist transactions. Of course I use some common sense to weed out weasels and scammers. When buying, always ask yourself what information is omitted before responding.

23. Hi Ho Silver

Hi Ho Silver Seeker Seeker

I run my mouth
    I'm with you Glock.....you nailed it. Unless you wanna weed through the funk....stay away

24. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    i buy and sell all the time via craigslist.......i use the email link only for first contact......beats the heck out of any other options i know of to sell things

25. azxcvbnm321

azxcvbnm321 Silver Member Silver Miner

I use craigslist to rent out apartments. The responses have been mostly good, yes there are a deal of no-shows and people who can't keep their side of the bargain. But that automatically weeds them out. If you can't keep an appointment, what are the chances that you can pay rent on time?

I've also had 2 attempted scams from people claiming to be out of town and wanting to rent. They said movers were coming to set up the apartment, but since they were out of town, they wanted me to pay the movers for them and they would mail me a check for rent + movers plus a little extra for my time and effort. I agreed but said that the check would have to clear first, suspecting a scam. The check actually looked good, it was a real check, out of State of course, but again I insisted that the funds go through to my account first before I did anything even though I kept on getting e-mails and calls begging me to pay the movers. I said no to paying them or letting anything go into the apartment until the check cleared. After 7 days, I called the bank and was informed that the check bounced! Good thing I insisted on getting the funds first or else I'd be out several hundred dollars, still I had to take the apartment off of the market for about 2 weeks thanks to the scam.

The rule is that Craigslist is just a segment of society. Gone are the days where you can trust people and take their word. If they don't have the money, don't give them your product. If they don't show up to a meeting spot or don't have what they promised, then you know they are unreliable and aren't going to keep their future promises. Write those people off.

Craigslist is a great service because it's free to use. Unlike the newspaper where you had to pay money to post an ad. I'm upset that you have to pay to list a job, otherwise I'd list jobs for repairs, but I guess they have to make money somehow. By the way, if anyone knows of a good website where you can list a job for free, I'd like to know about it.

26. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I have mostly great experiences with CL. I sold just about everything I ever listed. I had some Mexican in California try to scam me into shipping a laptop and had other scam texts, but I recognized them all and enjoyed real success.

Ebie likes this.
  27. JFN111

JFN111 Silver Member Silver Miner

I sold two motorcycles on Craigslist last year with no problems.

28. Afterburn001

Afterburn001 Seeker Seeker

Contractor
    Craigslist has been good to me but you do have to be careful.

I am a general contractor and people have me take out all sorts of good stuff when they remodel. I haul it away and post it. It's like a bonus! The last thing I sold was a garage door with the opener. I sold it for four hundred bucks.

29. lumpOgold

lumpOgold Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I agree that CL is the ultimate free market. I've sold cars, PM's and household junk on CL. You have to learn to ignore the bozos, I have several fake money orders in my desk. I enjoy stringing the a$$holes along and taking their counterfeit efforts.

Use the anonymous email feature for initial contact, never give your email or phone number out on first contact. I use a hotmail account for all CL business.

CrufflerJJ, DodgebyDave and vichris like this.
  30. mtnman

mtnman Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Self Employed Ex-shipyard Machinist
    All I do is buy and sell. Just like any other venue CL is dealing with the public. Most people are not prepared to deal with the loonies we call "the public", that's why they get upset.
    When it comes to scams, a scam won't work without the scamee being greedy, if it's too good to be true...

31. vichris

vichris Seeker Seeker

There are only two ways to do business with people on Craigs list. Cash or Postal money order. People from out of town raise all kinds of flags when renting property. Do not take cashiers checks, regular money orders, personal check, or direct deposit. All business must be done without ANY contact with your bank. If you accept a Postal money order do not deposit it in your bank. Take it to the Post Office and cash it. If the Post Office wont cash it, then it is counterfeit. If they convert it to cash then you are good. Do not accept any other type of money order.....most are counterfeit. DO NOT ship or release any goods until the POSTAL MO has been converted to cash at the POST OFFICE.

The way they get most people is through the 3rd party scam......just like you posted......"the movers". Good Catch azxcvbnm321

Carrion Crow likes this.
  32. Unclad Lad

Unclad Lad Rhodium Imam Gold Chaser

Keeping those damn kids off my lawn!
    Cesspools are good for hiding things you don't want others to find.

One of the hazards of operating in the grey market is that not everyone is reputable.

33. DodgebyDave

Try some common sense. IE I listed some new lifters for sale. Got an email.................

People that fall for that deserve to get screwed.

mtnman, gliddenralston and searcher like this.
  34. vichris

vichris Seeker Seeker

"I really want this for my son for christmas, it's all he talks about"

But, but, but,.......Dave. How could you be so cold hearted. The poor little tyke just wanted his first set of "lifters". Every child deserves some "lifters". Thats pretty cruel to NOT provide your bank account#, SS#, and, power of attorney, to these complete strangers............... :cool:

BTW, what kind of Dodge are we talking about Dave? I'm part of a local Mopar club.

35. DodgebyDave

I know, I should somehow feel ashamed that I callously dashed some poor child's christmas. Upon the rocks. With maliciousness and cruelty.:party30:

Somebodies christmas got ruint, I know that.:cool1:

All of them, because they are all about the same. Junk! Right now I'm contemplating saving this charger or not. The more rust I cut out, the more I find. If I had a bigger garage.......over at dodgecharger.com they have a thread on "how far have you had one apart".......this one would come close. The sticky part is that it's a plain jane 318 column automatic. One saved is one saved, but, 15k worth of sheet metal plus time. My buddies all expect me to walk on water, wave my magic wand and all will be well again.

It's a burden I carry.

Solo likes this.
  36. vichris

vichris Seeker Seeker

Awww come on Dave......we all see how easy it is on TV...... :hmmmm2: Just give yer buddy Chip Foose a call and he'll design up somethin purty and all will be well................ :cheerful:

On a serious note....I see yer dilemma. Hmmm............. 318, column, auto,......$15k? Well if someone else is payin the bill, work is work. On the other hand if youre payin the bill???? And thats only the sheet metal?

That would be to big a burden for me to carry. You wand wavers are a special breed though. After helping a few freinds build street cars, and then race cars. I decided to go the lazy route....ha ha ha

[​IMG]
    P1030515-1 by vichris08, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    104_0044-1 by vichris08, on Flickr

37. gliddenralston

gliddenralston Gold Member Gold Chaser

Without getting onto a long drawn out story of my craigslist problems, A number of posts touched on the problems I had.

Craigslist sent me an e-mail saying the site is mostly user policed, is that like hiring an alcoholic to be a bartender?

One thing I would like to know is how the scammers from New York, Florida, & Idaho found my little ad in a single posting in one small city in Iowa?

38. searcher

:thumbs_up:...............thanks button gone. Checked out some of your pics on Flickr.............they were great. :beerglass:

39. BUILT TO LAST

BUILT TO LAST Gold Member Gold Chaser

I have read that guys stuff before & almost peed in my pants laughing :s9:

40. Charlie Prime

Charlie Prime Banned

It's fairly easy to weed out those people with the right tools and mindset.

#1 Trick: Get thee a Google Voice telephone number! http://voice.google.com

The cool thing about this FREE service is that you can completely control how calls and text messages are handled, for example:

• Block spammers
    • Don't have to give out your *real* phone number.
    • Forward calls to any phone
    • Turn phone off between bed time and 8am, or have it go to voicemail.
    • Emails you text and voice messages.

Then, be judicious at weeding out time-wasters...

"Is this item still for sale?" Block.

"I'm in the Marine Corps, stationed overseas..." Block.

"Can you hold this until I get paid on Friday?" Hangup. Block.

"My sister will drive me over there at precisely 6pm. See you then!" Don't bet on it.

"Would you take (half what item is worth)?" Block.

"I rlly lik ur lawn moawr. Duz it run?" Block.

Weeding out those is really not difficult.

agnut, Hystckndle, glockngold and 3 others like this.