1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Power outages and dead ash trees.

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by Rusty Shackelford, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford Midas Member Midas Member

wastewater
    i am in the midst of my fourth major power outage of 8 hours or more over the last 2 1/2 months. The emerald ash borer has essentially destroyed 100% of ash trees in the mid west. The slightest wind is blowing these tgrees down with regularity and disrupting the grid. Visit a woods and it looks like a bomb went off as you see ash trees fallen everywhere. The disruption of power services will see no end in the near future.

Really need to step up the procurement of the gen set I have been wanting.

searcher, TAEZZAR and gringott like this.
  2. D-FENZ

D-FENZ Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

That's too bad. Ash trees are a good quality tree. Sounds like you have more of them in the wild than we do locally. I do have three, 12" chest high diameter ash trees that are kind of front and center in my landscaping scheme that we ended up treating a couple of years ago to save from the ash borers. They inject them with an insecticide- TreeAge that supposedly lasts 3 years before re-treating. They will be due for inoculation again next year. And it gets kind of expensive as the trees get bigger.

Might have to get some injection equipment and the juice and treat them myself.

3. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

some years ago we had Dutch Elm that was doing the same thing to the trees in towns. For a long time afterward as they died off the firewood was available. Waited until the bark was just shedding, and then cut them down. The sound of the wood as you tapped on it was unique.

From what you are saying, that too is going to be a huge issue.

4. Rusty Shackelford

wastewater
    It is getting tough finding trees for deer stands as the ash are not safe. We went back and took stands out after season in early January. We had a big storm the week prior. While in the woods in one particular area you could count over 30 ash trees that had fallen. These were trees that where 2-3 feet in diameter and 50 feet tall. Sad.

Scorpio likes this.
  5. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

Rusty, I know how you feel, I too lost trees, 17 of them last year, to a beetle infestation.
    Makes ya wonder what the hell is going on.

Scorpio likes this.
  6. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Seeker Seeker

Accountant
    The eab has hit us hard here in SW Ohio as well. I'm over 20 ash trees now that I've had to cut down.

TAEZZAR and Scorpio like this.
  7. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

We lost several last year ... but we're being told the 'treatment' isn't really effective.

8. Eyebone

Eyebone Midas Member Midas Member

Are these 'native/indigenous trees or something 'somebody' decided to plant without regard for natural laws?

9. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Seeker Seeker

Accountant
    I have no idea where the ash tree came from originally, but the eab is the problem, not the tree.

Rusty Shackelford likes this.
  10. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

We had the citrus blight in the 1990s that wiped out most of the orange groves south of Orlando. There was the coconut tree yellowing disease before that. The hurricanes cleaned up some overgrowth in the last 10 years and now Queen palms are blighted. I never liked them much anyway.

No matter where you live there is going to be some kind of vegetation problem if there is vegetation. Get one of those propane generators that kick on when the power goes out. A good set up will run $10k, but if you got the $ why not.

11. Rusty Shackelford

wastewater
  12. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

What needs to happen is to have Monsanto© or a similar company develop a GMO Ash variety with Bt incorporated into its genome, rendering it resistant to eab

13. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

On the bright side, look at all the firewood you will have for next year!!

14. tom baxter

tom baxter back from 2004

Retired now
    Seem they were imported only a 15 years ago. Thank globalization for it. We have fire ants down here now, they love the place.

The Emerald Ash Borer (Agrilus planipennis or EAB) is responsible for the destruction of tens of millions of ash trees in 27 states. Native to Asia, it likely arrived in the United States hidden in wood packing materials. The first U.S. identification of Emerald Ash Borer was in southeastern Michigan in 2002. There are a variety of treatment options that can serve as a control measure for the EAB, but they are not a cure. Because pesticide regulations differ from State to State, homeowners should contact their State department of agriculture or local extension office for guidance.
    http://www.hungrypests.com/the-threat/emerald-ash-borer.php

15. Rusty Shackelford

wastewater

Surely you jest?

16. Rusty Shackelford

wastewater

Actually most of the wood we see is of no account at this point. If a tree died and you took it down everything was useable. The stuff getting blown over is pithy and soft as it has been dead for several years.

17. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

Who, me? No way!

Now, I'm not saying that it is in fact possible to do that, but seeing that Bt kills eab and Bt has been combined into the genome of various other plants, it seems to me as though making a GMO Ash tree that resists eab would also be possible.

Development of transgenic North American ash trees expressing a Bacillus thuringiensis protein for management of the emerald ash borer

The main target pests of Bt insecticides include various lepidopterous, dipterous, and individual coleopterous species (such as EAB).

The objectives of our research are to: 1) determine the toxicity of proteins expressed from the cry8Daconstructs in EAB larvae and adults; 2) develop protocolc for adventitious shoot regeneration and rooting of green, white, and black ash for use inAgrobacterium-mediated genetic transformation studies using the cry8Da gene; 3) transform these ash species, regenerate, acclimatize, and propagate transgenic ash plants containing the Bt toxin specific to the EAB; 4) analyze normal and transgenic ash lines for Bt expression; 5) conduct laboratory bioassays of transgenic lines against the EAB to confirm efficacy; and 6) establish transgenic ash trees in a field trial.

18. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Seems like the only really effective treatment is being banned in Canuckistan.

19. Rusty Shackelford

wastewater
    Well GMO might be ok, but seeing as how I am 43 any new planted trees will not be mature to enjoy in my lifetime. On top of that I am talking about wild trees in the woods. Nobody is gonna actively plant GMO stuff out in the wild. Maybe residential tree.

20. Krag

Krag Planet earth Platinum Bling

A lot of dead trees come down in chunks, not in taking down wires with them. In an ultra-paranoid part of the US, I had a lot of customers who were even worried that large healthy hardwoods were a threat to their houses. On a case by case basis trees could be examined by real tree experts and removed if a threat.

21. Garyw

Garyw The Military gave me Defoliant Exposure Silver Miner

tired and retired
    Here in the State of Jefferson Ash trees grow in moist areas along waterways mostly, I used to burn wood for heat for many years. I found Ash to be the best wood for btu's and low ash content. I did not have to clean the stove out nearly as often. My favorite firewood. Not as heavy as oak either. and starts easily.

22. Rusty Shackelford

wastewater
    You dont have to been an expert to see the dead Ash caused by EAB. In the summer when woods are fully leafed out, you can see the dead ash from miles around. Decimated.