1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Provident Metals Dealer Rating

Discussion in 'PM Dealer Feedback' started by Scorpio, Mar 31, 2010.

?

How do you rate this dealer?

1. * One Star

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  2. ** Two Star

9 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. *** Three Star

10 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. **** Four Star

32 vote(s)
    18.1%
  5. ***** Five Star

122 vote(s)
    68.9%
  1. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Please post your comments regarding PMD here in this thread.

You may rate the dealer to your satisfaction level in the course of your business.

Please understand that this is a informational content thread for the sole purpose of passing information and experiences regarding a specific PM dealer to other members.

GIM2 does not endorse or disapprove of any member in this list of threads.

GIM2 is not responsible for any disputes, resolutions, or comments made by the members.

A member may reply to the thread and post comments accordingly.

No new threads will be added except by the moderators.

You may also rate the dealer using the vote button, and the votes will be public, 1-5 stars, one being the lowest, and 5 being the highest rating.

2. HowardThomas

HowardThomas New Member

FIVE STAR. Quick Shipping.

3. Korben Dallas

Korben Dallas New Member

Great service!

4. livtocruz

livtocruz Seeker Seeker

What they said. :2:

5. Herban_Guerilla

Herban_Guerilla New Member

Stayin' alive
    I only have one transaction with Provident so far, but feel I must rate them as excellent!

Jake filled my order accurately, quickly, and made sure I knew each step of the process was completed, and when.

Great PM dealer.

6. rodzm

rodzm Gold Member Gold Chaser

Medic
    Nothing but great things to say about Provident....great prices and lower shipping than most online dealers. Two thumbs up!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Foghorn

Foghorn New Member

I am impressed with Provident's service. My orders have been packed well and shipped in a reasonable time frame. I had to have some special shipping on my first order. Provident went out of their way to help with the order. All in all, excellent service.

Foghorn

8. sillycheesedude

sillycheesedude New Member

Hello all, I just made my 1st online PM purchase with Provident Metals and am completely satisfied. I sell stuff on ebay and like being able to pay with paypal. The 5 ozt of silver was also to my door in 4 days. Awesome!!

9. n o o d l z

n o o d l z New Member

Phenomenal. Just made my first PM purchase of any kind (1oz silver rounds)...couldn't find a better price over spot all inclusive of shipping/CC fees, and couldn't be any happier with the time it took to show up at my door (~3 days). Thank you!

10. Juristic Person

Juristic Person They drew first blood Platinum Bling

Let me first say that I have never purchased PM's from an online dealer. For any G/S coins I've purchased, I've gone to a local dealer and paid cash.

Call me crazy but I rarely use a credit/debit card. I pay cash for nearly everything. I have NEVER used anything other than cash for PM's or firearms related purchases (ammo, holsters, clips, etc).

My question to all of you is, when you order these coins online, how do you pay? Are you ok with leaving a paper trail or having the dealer obtain your credit card information (with your personal info) and keeping a record of your purchases? Are you ok with your bank having this information?

One thing I thought might work if I wanted to buy online is to pay cash for a visa check card. They usually sell them at the grocery store and I don't believe you have to register to use it. I think you simply pay cash, the amount gets entered and you just call an 800 number to activate it.

Has anyone tried that before or am I athe only who is that paranoid around here? (I doubt that..)

11. smullen

smullen New Member

Network Engineer for an ISP
    I have thought about the same thing myself... The only issues I see to that is they are going to have record of where they shipped it too... How do you re-fill the card??? Can you just take cash to Walmart, Kmart, the Grocery Store or where ever and say I wanna put $X on here and they load it up?

LOL..... Have you read any posts here... :)

12. Castrensis

Castrensis New Member

I used to worry about paper trails before the accident. Now they all lead down into the drink. :captain:

13. goldandcountry

goldandcountry New Member

They accepted my order on a silver dip even though they were out of stock with full communication that my order might take about a week to ship. Then, they personally called me upon shipment. 5 Stars for these guys on all my dealings to date.

14. DFM

DFM New Member

One order recently, Gold Eagle and two british sovereigns. Excellent service, most competitive price that day on those items, when all shipping, fees included. CC fee not bad, if you have a 1% rebate card, net cost only 1.3%, and the shipping on smaller orders saves compared to APMEX, for example. Only fault I could find was one sovereign was slightly more worn than I would say for UNC or better, as stated. I am new at purchasing sovereigns and grading, but did not seem to grade quite right compared to others I have bought elsewhere. Pretty close though. I did weigh them on a grain powder scale, and still weighed out 99.7% of what the better one did. I still gave them 5 stars and would buy again.

15. charlie1023

charlie1023 Seeker Seeker

Used these guys once and nothing but thumbs up for them. Decent pricing, reasonable shipping costs and quick ship. Will order from them again!

16. winslo

winslo Seeker Seeker

I will also give them a thumbs up. Some thing charlie1023 said plus they only nick you 2.3% for CC use.

17. GoldWampum

GoldWampum Midas Member Midas Member

I agree. 5 stars.

18. snork

snork New Member

so far (in my limited experience) this has been the cheapest place with very reasonably priced (and fast) shipping for someone buying with a credit card and in "smaller" quantities (about $200-$250).

One other random thing that was "nice" - I ordered $5 face value of junk silver -- and while there's no guarantee on specific coins, I got a dollar in dimes, $2 in quarters, and $2 in halves. As a new collector, I appreciated the "variety" vs when I bought from someone else and they gave me all half dollars. Again, nothing is guaranteed, it doesn't really *matter*, and you may prefer something different, but it seemed like they were "in tune" with what a small-quantity purchaser would like to receive.

Or maybe that's what they had sitting in a bowl.

19. rodzm

Medic
    Some could ask if they accept BillPay option that many banks offer. Works as a bank wire minus the fees associated from sending. Worth a try and if it works you could essentially use BillPay and not have to pay your banks fee and the seller doesnt pay fees either

20. rodzm

Medic
    I called Provident today about buy prices and they directed me to their website which now displays buy prices. I must say their buy prices are very competitive. Offering spot + $.10 for generic 1 oz bars is pretty good. Check out their buy prices http://www.providentmetals.com/sell-to-us.html

21. Rollie Free

Rollie Free Midas Member Midas Member

I didn't know they had buy prices listed, thanks,

Provident is the first place I check online and they are usually the cheapest. Shipping fees are very reasonable as is the list price. I like their easy to understand website also.

22. jogslvr

jogslvr Gold Miser Gold Chaser

Great service and the most competitive prices I've seen lately, especially on smaller orders.

23. KGMe

KGMe Gold Member Gold Chaser

Disclaimer:
    I'm new to collecting bullion, and relied heavily on this board's dealer reviews to make my beginner's decisions. I wanted to just add my experiences for others in my position, as I often rely on the reviews of others for online purchases. I ordered from 4 different online sites and will rate all of them as they complete.

Thanks,
    -KGMe

I placed 2 separate orders with Provident. Late on a Friday night I ordered about 20 ASE's, all of a different year because I thought it would be nice to have a complete set of something. Late the following Monday afternoon I realized I missed one they had in stock (1996) and made a second order adding a 1/10 gold Austrian Philharmonic. Prices were lower then I had found on all the sites with good reviews here. The fact that I could use PayPal was a great advantage for me, albeit with a 2.7% fee. The entire ordering process was very straight forward, simple, and fast. I created an account on the site as another reviewer mentioned an easier option for monitoring order status.

After the first confirmation emails, I received only one other communication from Provident (per order). On Monday I received a shipping notice via email for the first order, and Tuesday a shipping notice for the second order. Both emails included an internal Provident tracking number, and not a shipper's tracking number. Considering that USPS (who Provident used for shipping), seems to update tracking data weeks late I was not too concerned. Wednesday I received my first order, and Thursday my second.

Both orders were tightly packaged, and I honestly would not have been concerned had my son used them to play catch with his friends. The coins themselves look great from a novice's perspective. I honestly can't say whether these meet the advertised condition of BU, but there are no visible fingerprints, scratches, or pits. A couple look like they may have the beginnings of "toning" as I've seen it described, but it could just be dirt for all I know.

Overall, I am very happy with the entire ordering process at Provident Metals. Not being an expert I can't be sure of the actual grading of the product I ordered, but the purchase was not really made with numismatic intentions. As a novice with an interest more in line with "stacking", I am very pleased with Provident and gave them 5 stars.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  24. rodzm

Medic
    Great review KGMe. Provident has some of the best prices out there and the shipping time/prices are superb

25. rodzm

Medic
    Just made my first sale to Provident and it went very smooth. I was able to lock in the price for a 1 oz Krug at the same time and use the proceeds fo the sale to buy it. The premium to switch from silver to gold was about 2 oz of silver so not too shabby

26. Conax

Conax New Member

rather not say.
    I like them. Everything was as ordered, price was OK, very fast delivery. 5 Stars.

27. Rollie Free

Rollie Free Midas Member Midas Member

Wanted to add something. I pay by bank check. The first two orders they held the check 10 days or so. By the third order they had learned to trust it and sent the order right away.

I've talked to these folks on the phone and they seem personable and nice. From the comments on here they seem to be doing the impossible and not offending anyone. I always admire a good business model that is focused on customer service. You do that and the books will take care of themselves. I am afraid that many pm businesses fail in that regard.

28. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Silver Member Silver Miner

none now
    two orders with Provident so far. Easy to find what I want, easy to buy, and easy to track my stuff. I like Apmex, Provident, and Monarch nowadays.
    I have one order thru Gainesville, but wont go back. Not with shining examples like the above to use!

29. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford Midas Member Midas Member

wastewater
    Dear Provident Metals,

Where do you get off having the best prices I could find (a buck lower premium on unc SAEs), the lowest shipping I could find and the fastest turn around I have experienced with all my online purchases (6 days and that was with me mailing a MO, compared to typically 14 days at other dealers). Seriously, sarcasm aside, my first order met my expectations and then some. I will continue using your company in the future if this is waht I can expect.

Rusty

This was my first order with PMD. Wow!! Nice selection, easy website to navigate, shipping could not be beat, pricing could not be beat, turn around outstanding, nice packaging, high quality goods. You would be a fool not to consider using them in the future.

30. rodzm

Medic
    Did Provident pay you for writing up such an exciting review...all things aside theyre a great company to deal with. I have sold PMs to them and they give you options as to what you want to do with the proceeds wether it is credit to your account or a check.

I have thought about doing the whole credit to the account thing but didnt want to be exposed too long to price swings. Great people to work with overall

31. KGMe

I'm tempted to start writing bad reviews. You people need to STOP buying MY stuff! I want my stackers!!!

32. Sheepdog

none now
    Sorry! :biggrin:

because of you I bought twice the amount I was going to from them!

33. Sheepdog

none now
    also, I have found today that both my orders are already shipped! Less than two days total! I have two weeks with Gainesville coins and they havent shipped yet!

34. jogslvr

jogslvr Gold Miser Gold Chaser

Provident started selling copper rounds today. Seem a little rich, $33 p/lb

35. Sheepdog

none now
    I see the page with copper 1 lb stackers at 8.79

interesting. Do you think this is an item that will appreciate ?

36. pay dirt

pay dirt Gold Member Gold Chaser

37. rodzm

Medic
    Received a Christmas card from Provident today...very nice gesture but what shocked me the most is that they enclosed a 1/2 oz Indian silver round

Who wants popcorn when you can have silver instead :biggrin:

38. TomServo

TomServo New Member

I placed my first order with Provident on Dec 28 2010 based on the opinion of this board. It may have been a mistake.
    I got 10 buffalo rounds and was not impressed by the quality. They may be .999 silver, but the quality is NOTHING like the nwtmint stuff. Sure, nwtmint is slow, and expensive, but if you love silver for its own sake, they have the good stuff. Bite the bullet and try their NWTMint rounds (as opposed to the PanAmerican rounds, which are ok, but no competition). If they put a $1 stamp on them, I'll bet everyone you showed it to would think it came from the U. S. Mint.
    Anyway, back to Provident. With the rounds, I also ordered $50 face junk silver...what I got was $47.50 face of Roosevelt dimes, and $2.50 face of 2004 Roosevelt dimes. Now, mind you, they were very pretty dimes, BU, and some online coin shops sell them for between .50 and 4.25 each, but they aren't silver, and I don't want them. I sent an email asking them to explain themselves and will post the results here.
    Stupidly enough, based on this boards' high opinion of Provident, I placed two more orders with them before receiving this sack o' stuff, so...I'm a little upset...

39. TomServo

TomServo New Member

Re-reading the 'Quick Overview' at providentmetals.com/1-face-value-90-silver-us-coins.html, they don't say you'll only get pre-1965 coins, but in the 'Product Description' they only talk about pre-1965 coins. I guess I made an ass of them and me.
    From Provident:
    'These dimes are actually the same silver content of the pre '65 dimes (90%).
    They are from silver proof sets that people have taken out since silver has
    risen so high. I assure you that they are worth the same, if not slightly
    more given their proof condition. Sorry for the confusion.'
    My subsequent mail whined that since they arrived in broken plastic bags they were no longer Proofs, but I don't have a leg to stand on, because they, technically, did nothing wrong.
    Wouldn't it be fun to take these to a coin shop and convince the owner that, no, no, really, they LOOK like regular 2004s but they're SILVER, honest, mister!
    And see these pennies? They're actually TARNISHED GOLD! REALLY!

Lesson learned: if you buy junk silver from Provident, only get Franklins or something that has had a design change. Roosevelts are for Lozers.

40. KGMe

90% silver proofs handled aren't good enough to qualify as 90% junk?

Since I don't own any junk, I guess maybe I don't understand. I thought the goal was 90% silver content coins?

As far as the NWTMint, I have a bunch of the Stagecoach Silver bars and they are BY FAR my favorite one ounce bars, if my avatar doesn't give it away. No question on NWTM quality.