1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Quality power tools

Discussion in 'Auto, Tractor, Motorcycles, Racing, and Mechanics' started by TomD, Jun 7, 2017.

1. TomD

TomD It blowed up, y'all Platinum Bling

construction, engineering
    I have several Bosch tools including a jigsaw that I bought in the mid-90's. It has been a beautiful tool, reliable, balanced, precise and with the feel that says "quality", the sort of tool you'd see in the kit of a competent professional. At this stage in my life, I don't use tools with anywhere near the frequency that I did in earlier times, but when the "chuck" on the Bosch recently quit operating, it was unacceptable to not have a functional high quality jigsaw available. And the $19.95 Black and Decker buried in one of the drawers out there doesn't count.

I found I'd have to send my Bosch off to a service center (none around here in the sticks). Shipping both ways plus a minimum repair charge had me up in the $125-$150 range.

The other day I was on one of the projects I'm the PM for, a project to put in a bunch of wood walkovers to provide elevated ADA access across the dunes to the beaches around Pensacola. Someone had left a Makita DSC05246.jpg jigsaw on the handrail of a still in construction ramp. I picked it up and found that it was a near knockoff of my Bosch. It had the same feel and a lot of the same features. I later found that I could buy one for significantly less than it would cost me to repair the Bosch.

Why the hell not? Bought the Makita, was delivered today and it has quality all over it. The feel is perfect + the blade secure system is worlds above the earlier Bosch system. The Makita has a vacuum system built in to keep sawdust off the work.

There are very few aspects of "modern" society that I consider to be superior to the world in which I grew up. But tools is one area that modern is clearly superior.

Lt Dan and smooth like this.
  2. edsl48

edsl48 Silver Member Silver Miner

Lt Dan likes this.
  3. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    Most of the hand tools I use are battery powered and most of those are DeWalt - only because that is what I first bought and have stuck to one brand so I can use the same batteries in all. The 18volt tools I bought are still working with Li-ion in either 18v or 20v with converters. (Those converters are real nice to use the 20v batteries in the older 18v tools). I do mostly home projects, as I'm retired, but some of those projects are not small and so, they get a good workout, just not necessarily a daily workout. I am quite satisfied with them, but would not shy from buying other brands in electric tools if they were needed.

4. TomD

Only Dewalt tools that I still have are a battery trim nailer that I replaced the original 18V Ni-Cads with 18V Li-Ion and a corded 110V router. Couldn't live without the trim nailer. Used to have a couple of Dewalt battery drills and a battery impact but they've been replaced with Makita & Bosch stuff.

Lt Dan likes this.
  5. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    I saw the thread where you replaced the battery DeWalt tools. I don't use mine every day and not usually out on a job site, so they work fine for me. I see many contractors here use the DeWalt impact drivers. I have two of those, just because, and sometimes need one handy while the other one is down on the ground, or if someone is helping me, both of us can use one at the same time.

If I had it to do over, I might choose a different brand, but they serve me well for my rather small farm, DIYer type of things I run into, especially because it is spread out and electric is not always handy.

6. TomD

One of my projects (picture below) is about a linear mile of wooden dune walkovers to the beaches at Pensacola Beach. This is one of a bunch of them. There are several 10's of thousands of 3/4" through and lag bolts to put in + in excess of 350,000 316 Stainless screws #10 x 3". My carpenters said no way were they going to burn out their personal tools so I bought them a couple of Makita battery impact drivers, a couple of battery drills and a battery impact wrench to run the bolts. The job is now finishing and the Makita stuff hasn't missed a beat. The lead carpenter started the job as a died in the wool Milwaukee fan but he now says he's gonna leave his stuff at home and adopt the Makita's permanently.

[​IMG]Dune Walkover by Tom, on Flickr

Lt Dan likes this.
  7. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

Nice. It bugs the hell out of me when the sawdust keeps covering up my line.