1. Stocks continue to fly to the up, new records on fed meet minutes.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Thur Morning! Gold is up 2.9 to 1256, while Silver is +3 to 1715. Crude is down 85 to 5051. USD is down 3 to 9711
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/13/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1227.70-- UP 0.80 Silver $16.40-- UP 13 Oil $47.84-- UP 1.62 USD $99.13 -- UP .61
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Rate your Chainsaws

Discussion in 'Tools and Fixtures Ratings Threads' started by Scorpio, Sep 11, 2015.

?

D

1. Stihl

36 vote(s)
    67.9%
  2. Husqvarna

10 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. Homelite

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Jonsered

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Poulan

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  6. Other?

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Let's do chainsaws,

a indispensable tool for many

2. Scorpio

back in the day, there was McCulloch,

don't know if they are still around or not,

I have long switched to Stihl and really don't consider others

TAEZZAR and Cigarlover like this.
  3. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    Gawd...you said Poulan....as in
    "Pull on it and nothing ever happens "
    I voted Stihl. But only at the moment.
    And I needa get it out and clean it.
    No hurricanes this year, but the hype is still lingering in the news.

4. CrufflerJJ

CrufflerJJ Seeker Seeker

I voted "Stihl", though I've got both a Stihl (12 year old MS250) and a Husqvarna (<1 year old 562XP). Both make good machines.

I chose Stihl since Husky's website SUCKS. They do not have a simple "contact us" link. Instead, they bounce you to their "Answer Army" discussion board where your concerns are answered by =somebody=, not necessarily Husqvarna. Compare this to Stihl USA's website, where the "contact us" link is on the upper right corner of the home page. No games, no attempts to distance the company from its customers.

Probably more important than the question "Stihl or Husky" is your local dealer network. Either saw can/will have problems. A good local servicing dealer can make all the difference in the world. This is especially true given the modern computer-controlled carbs installed on their higher end saws (as with my 562XP). Without the proper cables & software, your dealer can't interrogate or adjust the carbs.

SAFETY - hopefully any saw operator feels like their life/limb is worth an added $50.....get & wear chainsaw chaps. Once the moving chain touches your body, Mr. Chainsaw is no longer your friend.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    lumpOgold and Scorpio like this.
  5. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

I use a Stihl MS290 Farm Boss with a 20" bar.
    It is an ok saw, but from new had an idle problem.

My favorite saw that I pick up first (because so much of what I cut is downed trees & fallen branches) is my Echo CS341 top handle saw.
    It's very light weight & has been trouble free for the most part.

6. <===Foolsgold

<===Foolsgold Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

I voted Husky because it my oldest, most used saw. But I have a newer "steel" which works great too.

7. Camp Bassfish

Camp Bassfish Seeker Seeker

Homelite :) (jk)

8. historyrepete

historyrepete Silver Member Silver Miner

Another stihl but it don't run all that great at times it's fickle. Same for the stihl weed whacker pita. Most all of them are. I finally picked up a husqvarna that thing fires right up.
    I guess that's another thread Scorp

lumpOgold likes this.
  9. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Helpful tip:::: Any of the equipment that is run seasonal no matter what carburetor it has should at the end of the season be run with "white gas" / Coleman stove fuel. If it is for a string trimmer or only used rarely equipment simply mix up a gallon & use it like that. Coleman fuel don't have additives like ethanol that destroys rubber carb parts & plastic & it a lot easier on the older die cast parts also. It's also easier to get and costs a little more but it will save money in the long run on repair and carb kits that are getting more and more expensive. It has a very long shelf life. You can also use marine gasoline that don't have any ethanol or even a low grade racing gas.

Irons, Scorpio and Hystckndle like this.
  10. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    Saws?
    Never thought of it munch but I do not think there is one brand I have not used. I can tell you this though when you are tied in at 30feet and your jred which is pulling a 42inch bar won't just do it and they tie on that 88 which is pulling a six foot bar it is every thing you can do to man handle it, drop the stick and not hit any houses or fences.

About saws though? One thing I can say that is true to all brands is they do develop altitude sickness. Yeah, yeah they run fine at the house or shop but get them at 3 to 4 thousand feet fire them up at the crummie, pack them down 1200 or so feet and then they won't run is aggravating. So always have two power heads extra in the truck.

I know this is supposed to be a light hearted thread, I would suppose but every saw I have run is just a future boat anchor. You run one or two, yes two because when you are chasing by your self you need a saw for the limbs and a saw for bucking and an extra one for when you rock your chain then file between turns, well you do that for twelve hours or eight then you will be calling them boat anchors also.

Lt Dan, Irons, FunnyMoney and 3 others like this.
  11. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Polish guy walks into store to rent a chain saw, says he wants the best one, clerk rents him one he says will do a cord in 2 hours, guys like wow ill take it, comes back an hour later says to clerk this saw sucks Ive only done 1/10th cord, clerk takes it out back starts it up and the polack jumps back in fear, whats that noise excliamed

lumpOgold, Scorpio and michael59 like this.
  12. Po'boy

Po'boy Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

Didn't see echo on the list.
    Not as ergonomic as still but good saws non the less.

13. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    i dont use one much but have stihls.......dad has a 30yr old jonsared that may never die and he has cut 5-10cords of wood for 30yrs with it

14. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

One vote for the Stihl MS361. It has a 24" bar and Woodland Pro semi-chisel chain.
    http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaw-Chain/Chainsaw-Chain-3-8-Pitch/
    I have used Stihl and Oregon chain, and in my opinion, the Woodland chain is faster, easier, and seems to last longer. (Just my opinion, though.)
    My logs usually have metal in them and I have learned that it is better to do more frequent touch-up sharpening than to wait until the chains are dull.
    Also, it seems that if the chain wants to go left or right, it probably needs sharpening NOW.

15. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Yeah I've started buying the pre-mixed 2 cycle fuel in cans. No ethanol, shelf-stable and won't rot your carbs. I don't use my 2 cycles a lot, so I figure the extra cost is worth it for the less hassle and problems later.

16. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Was watching one of the alaska shows the other day and was wondering just that, what kind do they use, obviously it would have to be one of the best in that enviroment. Used a few over the years but never owned one.

17. CrufflerJJ

CrufflerJJ Seeker Seeker

I placed my first order with Bailey's on 9/6. So far, I'm very NOT impressed with them. At the time of order, all items (a couple loops of Woodland Pro chain, a spark plug, a couple scrench holders, and a couple dozen chain sharpening files), showed as "in stock." FOUR days after placing the order, they emailed me to say that one item (a spare spark plug for my Husky 562XP) was backordered until 9/16.

The remainder of my order has not shipped.

So here I am, still waiting, for my first order from this fine establishment.

18. ArkWv

ArkWv Gold Member Gold Chaser

handyman, and not the fellow from "In Living Color
    lol, only brand of chainsaw I've ever owned. My last one finally locked up on me after a few decades of use. Didn't vote but most people I know own Stihl's.

19. Someone_else

Well, that sucks.

I once ordered some electronic part and it was rather urgent. When it did not arrive on time, I contacted the company, and the rep said that they MAILED me a letter saying it was backordered. WTF?! Great. I could have ordered from somewhere else, but they kept me waiting. Waiting for a letter.

FWIW, I ordered from Baileys a year ago on a Saturday and they shipped on Tuesday.

20. Scorpio

Had a Poulan for small stuff and never really had any issues with it. Was made for light work, but always started and ran with no real issues. Cost effective, but was a smaller saw and not much use for heavier work.

21. BeefJerky

BeefJerky Gold Member Gold Chaser

Chainsaws and blowers. On;y worf you need to know is STIHL.

22. Krag

Krag Planet earth Platinum Bling

Husky saws were the most reliable for me; secondly Stihl. If I had a choice probably the 394XP (now 395) on the Husky and 440 Stihl. Like guns every tool has its usefulness if you can handle it.

23. michael59

20 years logging
    Hahahahaha. Just funny.....we ha a guy convinced you c....sorry for screwing up your quote....bit,dammm but this is funny...we had a guy convinced you could push start the saw...fuckhahajaja. stupid sumbiotch damm near cut through an 18inch log for he figured it out hahabanshit hahahahaha

24. CrufflerJJ

CrufflerJJ Seeker Seeker

I mostly see Stihls, with some Huskys (the saw, not the dog) thrown in for spice.

25. ErrosionOfAccord

ErrosionOfAccord #1 Global Warmer Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Energy Extraction
    I got a homolite saw but i live in the prairie. It built so well It'll probably last past my death.

26. michael59

20 years logging
    Darn.....spose u never thought of trenching with it....idk maybe doing a wireless fence for.the dogs maybe? Now dont laugh and fart....there is a reason you cannot rent a chain saw here in Oregon and that trenching around the perimeter is the reason why.

REO 54 and ErrosionOfAccord like this.
  27. Krag

The "non-professional" saws probably work fine, but like NGC and PCGS with coins it is virtually impossible for alternate companies to break into the professional racket besides the main ones. Husquavarna, Stihl.

28. Someone_else

I've had a "lodged tree" from a storm for a while now, and decided it is time to deal with it. The general advice is that a lodged tree is a "death trap", so I wrapped a chain around it and pulled it with my Bobcat. After a little persuasion, it pulled loose. I used my Stihl 361 to cut a generous wedge on the top and then slowly cut from the bottom until it started to crack. Then I finished with an ordinary cut just below. Three of these finished the less safe parts of cutting up a damaged tree. The Stihl saw and WoodlandPro chain cut easily.

29. offourse2

offourse2 Seeker Seeker

Sachs Dolmar, my brother gave it to me 25 years ago. It is easy to handle (well balanced) and you can't slow it down. I had to replace the engine mounts once, other than that just file chains and add gas.

30. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Some good info in this blast from the past: Chainsaws

31. searcher

Stihl and Echo Chainsaw Review- Which is Better?
    Stanley "Dirt Monkey" Genadek

Published on Mar 11, 2016
    Stihl or Echo Chainsaw- which is right for you? This chainsaw review has us comparing two popular models in a head to head comparison.

32. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

026 Pro Stihl. I bought it new over 20 years ago and it still starts on the second pull and runs like it's mad at the world.
    I bought a bigger Stihl when we had our cabin built and sold it shortly after. The 026 is a lifetime chainsaw.

33. searcher

Stihl 026
    Mark Hawes

Published on Nov 7, 2013

34. searcher

Stihl VRS Husqvarna : Firewood Chainsaws
    Rod Jones

Published on Jan 25, 2016
    In this video, Rod from Mill Creek Saw Shop compares Stihl and Husqvarna's Farm and Rancher mid range series chainsaws to help the average consumer decide which is best for them.

35. Krag

Good luck with that, could be a widow maker, especially when the wood is green and has a lot of spring. Never hurts to get a helper with experience.

36. searcher

The $77.66 Chinese Clone Chainsaw of Awesomeness Review
    Love2boat92

Published on Aug 29, 2015
    I wanted to get my own saw. I was tired of buying used equipment so I decided to watch how much I spent so I bought this clone of a Husqvarna 450 rancher. It is also basically the same as a blue max chainsaw. Paid $77.66 shipped to my door. I put it together. Mixed the gas. Put gas and oil in it. She started right up. It took a while the first time because it had to pull all the gas thru lines and into the carb. Once warm it started on the first pull. Cold it took about 7 pulls. I tried it out on a big maple tree. Sorry I didn't have anything that was fresh to cut. This tree was one job that I didn't finish cleaning up years ago so I wanted to finish this before I cut down another tree and making another big mess. Lol. I can not speak of the longevity of the saw because I haven't had it for that long. I'm not a professional but do know a thing or two about chainsaws and chainsaw maintenance. It takes 25 to 1 fuel/oil mixture. I am pleased with the saw as of now. That may change if something goes wrong with it. I have more videos of this saw to come. Please like this video and subscribe for more. Thanks for watching!!!!

*There are some more vids/reviews of the chainsaw on the guy's channel. If you're interested here's a link to the channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRmL13Iv5_hXtcAfL8nSOfw

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  37. searcher

Poulan Chainsaw Review- Should you buy one?
    OutsideFun1

Published on Dec 5, 2014
    I review both the Poulan P3416,& the Poulan Pro, both with 16" bar. I've owned my Poulan for over 3 years and I've worked it hard. In this episode I go over the pros & cons of both Poulan models.

*The comments below the vid are worth a read. Most think this cat doesn't have a clue. Me thinks they may be right.

38. searcher

Who makes the best chainsaw?-My Collection and Opinion
    crazyjdkid

Published on Nov 22, 2015
    In this video I go over my chainsaws and the gear that goes along with the equipment. I briefly go over each saw, cold start it (@ 40 F) and do a few test cuts on a piece of wood. Tell me what you think and what brands or models you have had luck with! Remember the difference between constructive criticism and criticism, and this is all opinionated.

Saw Models Used:
    Stihl MS180C
    Husqvarna 455 Rancher
    Stihl 015
    Black & Decker NPP2018 18-Volt

39. Krag

I don't know any contractor who screws around with anything but Husquavarna, Stihl, Jonsered, or Sachs Dolmar, and nothing smaller than one of the XP models for significant take downs. Of course homeowners can use the Home Depot basic units for small jobs.

40. searcher

Testing three stihl ms200t chainsaws vs husqvarna t540xp
    Matthew Olson

Published on Feb 17, 2016
    If you are looking for aftermarket chainsaw parts, please support my channel by buying from:
    http://www.hlsproparts.com/?Click=48376

Disclaimer: ladies and gents, this is a CHAINSAW, working with, building and fiddling with these can KILL YOU, I am not and will not be responsible for improper technique or accidents even remotely relating to this video, please view for entertainment purposes only.

This vid is a test of mods on a few ms200t's. The first saw is a stock ms200t. Brand new bar and chain, first time in wood (same for the other 2 ms200t's ... all new bars and chains). For all intents and purposes, this saw is stock. Saw #2 has a coke can gasket to tighten squish and new rings. Saw #3 has been decked and ported the way i usually do things. Add to that a meteor piston and a chinese carb.

The 540's felt like they had more torque possibly but weren't as smooth as the 200t's.

I think the coke can gasket is going to be the best mod. Its really simple do to, and you don't need a dremel. I think by messing w/ port work on saw 3 I lost torque, though times did get better the more cuts I took, so it may be that I needed some break in of that new piston. Either way, its unlikely the port work is helping at this point.