1. All quiet on the reports front today, Friday. Metals showing weakness this am.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Friday morning! We arrive at the end of week, with the metals coming into the day weak. Gold down 5.7 to 1325, while Silver is down 6 to 19.75. Oil is up 6 to 44.81. The USD is up 8 to 97.13.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 7/22/16 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1322.10 DOWN 5.30-- Silver $19.69 DOWN .47-- Oil $44.26 DOWN 2.39--- USD $97.51 UP 95 tics-- Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE $1392.74 (1), SAE $22.49 (20)
  4. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

Raw Honey prices

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by DonDinero, Feb 27, 2013.

1. DonDinero

DonDinero New Member

I am looking to buy some raw honey directly from a beekeeper in my area and was wondering what the going rate is in your area for honey either by the gallon or by the pound?

2. jogslvr

jogslvr Gold Miser Gold Chaser

Wholesale prices were up this year to around $1.95 p/lb for grade A amber so you should expect to pay at least $4 p/lb for 2012 harvest in small quantities. If you can find a beek that sells by the 5gal bucket you may save a buck.

DonDinero likes this.
  3. Garyw

Garyw Silver Member Silver Miner

tired and retired
    Last year I bought a gallon bucket for about 50 dollars.

4. jogslvr

jogslvr Gold Miser Gold Chaser

Gallon of honey weighs 12 pounds to you paid a little over $4 p/lb

5. PhucilliJerry

PhucilliJerry Gold Member Gold Chaser

5 lb 4 oz containers in my neck of the woods are $26 each, but worth every penny........

6. NewBob

NewBob Seeker Seeker

The "standard" price for honey is $5/lb. That's usually a good ballpark. Anything you can get below that is a good deal, anything above it less so depending on what you get. Make sure you ask what he considers raw honey (there is no official definition of "raw honey") and what he uses (if anything) to treat his bees. It's probably worth a bit more to know you're getting what you hope you're getting (ie I'm assuming raw honey from someone who doesn't put chemicals in the hive).

7. dozer99

dozer99 Gold Member Gold Chaser

trying to reach the end of the internet
    Don,

PM me and let me know if you are on the west coast. I have a group in my family (sounds weird I know) that are beekeepers. They have hives all over Oregon, California, Nevada and Idaho. Like NewBob said the going rate is $5.00 per lb. They sell in 5 Gallon / 1 Gallon and Pint size.

8. Hi Ho Silver

Hi Ho Silver Seeker Seeker

I run my mouth
    Cool. I will sell you all you want for 45.00 a gallon :p

9. brosil

brosil Gold Member Gold Chaser

Raw honey usually means honey that was screened but not filtered and not heated to slow crystallization. The pollens are still present and active.

10. Afterburn001

Afterburn001 Seeker Seeker

Contractor
    My wife and I are beeks. We sell honey and pollen. We only have ten hives and sell locally (farmers market) for around $6.50 a pound. It's a good idea to buy raw from local beeks it's best for allergies. I know you can get 5 gallons for about $200.00 shipped from http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/ The best thing to do is get yourself a hive or two, it's easy, fun and each hive can yield 60lbs + a year.

11. Garyw

tired and retired
    I know I probably paid a little too much. I bought from Glory Beee in Eugene Oregon. I expect they are a broker. Good quality though.Good reputation.

12. NewBob

NewBob Seeker Seeker

I'm assuming that's what the OP wanted to purchase but there is no official definition of raw honey. So some beekeepers heat their honey up as much as they want to make it easier to bottle and often filter out pollen and impurities. That's why you want to talk to someone to see what they do to their honey. Legally they can bring their honey to a boil and call it raw.

13. Afterburn001

Contractor
    If you want real raw honey try to buy from a beek or sources like glorybee or bushymountain and not the super market. a lot of people don't realize that most the honey you buy at stores is not real honey. Even if it says: "Pure Raw Honey". Honey from China, Mexico and Brazil is not natural. They feed their bees high fructose corn syrup from tanker trucks (no kidding) so the bees will render more product. I have seen videos of them doing this. It's insane!

Ebie likes this.
  14. Garyw

tired and retired
    I read a story about a test that was preformed nationwide and 80% of honey from grocery stores was mixed with high frucose or all high frucose corn syrup. They mention large chains like walmart and safeway.

15. Afterburn001

Contractor

80% is on the low side. It really pisses me off! My wife and I sell all natural, pure, raw honey and pollen and it's hard to compete with the fake, cheap stuff. We spend more time educating our buyers on why it cost more but after they taste the difference they understand. There is nothing like real honey.

We will be selling again in a few weeks and have to bump up our prices a bit this year. For anyone that is interested: http://lakelandhoney.com/

16. SongSungAU

SongSungAU Gold Member Gold Chaser

realraw.jpg

Really Raw Honey is the best I've ever had. It's not liquid but it is spreadable...

From their website:
    Really Raw Honey is a totally unprocessed whole food, that is never heated or strained, and contains all the pollen, propolis, vitamins, enzymes and trace minerals the bee's put into it. Creamy, smooth and spreadable, Really Raw Honey is more solid than liquid and each jar is capped with crunchy bits of honeycomb, pollen and propolis.

It's not inexpensive though so it's been a while since I've bought some.

17. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
  18. Rcpb2000

Rcpb2000 Silver Member Silver Miner