1. After a week and 1/2 of straight up, stocks look for a break prior to Holiday weekend.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Fri Morning! Gold is up 9.6 to 1266. Silver is up 10 to 17.30. Crude is up 31 to 49.31. The USD is down 17 to 97,00.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/13/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1227.70-- UP 0.80 Silver $16.40-- UP 13 Oil $47.84-- UP 1.62 USD $99.13 -- UP .61
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Reflecting on Dad

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by Scorpio, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Reflecting on Dad
    Larry LaBorde

[​IMG]

I have been thinking about Dad all week. This past Wednesday was the 5th anniversary of his death at age 87. He lived quite a life and worked right up until the end.H e was the youngest of 10 children and was born in 1924. While all of his older siblings remembered the good times before the depression most of his memories were after the crash. They lived in a small town until he was 10 years old in 1934 and his father lost his school bus contract. With the depression getting worse off every year and no prospect of another job in town my grandfather sold the house in town for $500 and moved the whole family back to the farm. It was a hard life but living on a farm there was always plenty to eat. Not much money but at least plenty of food. My grandfather practically invented the term, “multiple streams of income” and in addition to farming he hauled commodities, moved people, was the community butcher, hunted commercially, fished, ginned moss and even distilled spirits.

My father learned how to work at an early age on the farm. During his life he worked in the New Orleans charity hospital as an elevator operator at age 16 and advanced to the operating room as a gas technician at age 17, was a corpsman in the US Navy in the South Pacific during 7 major invasions, ran an Army warehouse, worked at a bank, was a Ford parts salesman, worked at a tractor dealership and started and went on to operate several successful businesses.

I had the unique opportunity to first work for him and then work with him for 33 years. He was truly a great dad, partner and all around good guy.

But he always had a feeling that the good times might not last forever. He was a steady saver and told everyone to save at least 10% of their salary for their old age. He didn’t like to waste anything. Every scrap could be used for something later on. He shunned debt like the plague. He felt if he couldn’t pay for it he just didn’t need it.

Looking back he was only 5 years old when the stock market crashed. Of course rural America didn’t get hit until a while after that when commodity prices fell and banks began to close. His grandfather was fairly wealthy and owned a bank but he lost everything he owned trying to prop it up and pay off his depositors until he had nothing left and the bank failed. On the farm growing up they had scores of people passing through that would pitch a tent in their pasture for a day or so before moving on in search of work. My grandmother would always feel sorry for them and make sure they had something to eat. I can only imagine what it was like growing up like this listening to older siblings talk about how bad it was from just a few years before. Stories of banks going broke, farms lost, suicides, families split up, children being sent off to live with relatives and men on the road looking for any type of work they could find. That type of environment would change anyone’s outlook on the economy and finances in general.

As a result Dad stayed very liquid his whole life. He did invest in stocks and municipal bonds but the bulk of his wealth was in certificates of deposit at the bank. Later in life he invested more in precious metals outside the banking system. He always said the best investments that he ever made in his life were in his own companies. He also said it is hard making money but it is even harder to hang onto it. The older I get the more I understand what he was saying.

He was hard working and always lived modestly. He always said the only sure way to accumulate wealth was to live below your means and save the difference. He had no patience for people who lived beyond their means. He would just shake his head and say sooner or later……

On the other hand I was born in the boom of the 1950’s. It was a period of post war expansion and economic plenty. My generation has been one of easy credit, buy now and pay later, indulge yourself. A study the other day showed that less than half of the families in the US could come up with $1,000 in cash to cover an emergency without having to borrow it.

Dad never believed in relying on someone else in times of need. He believed that being an adult meant taking care of yourself and your family. That meant sacrifice and saving for hard times.

I hope those hard times never roll around again because that would mean a new generation of 10 year old boys that will have to grow up poor and do without. Let’s hope it doesn’t happen but let’s sacrifice and save a little right now just in case.

Larry LaBorde
    Silver Trading Company
    318-470-7291
    email: llabord@silvertrading.net

[​IMG]

Larry lives in Shreveport, LA with his wife Puddy. Larry sells precious metals at the Silver Trading Company, LLC. Since 2001, Silver Trading Company has offered high volume sales of gold, silver, platinum and palladium to serious investors around the world. It also offers guidance about storage options for metals. Please visit Silver Trading Company’s website at www.silvertrading.net.

Send questions, comments or corrections to llabord@silvertrading.net.

www.silvertrading.net

http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/02.17/dad.html

2. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

That is EXACTLY what the youth of today needs, a bit of reality/humility !

Most of us that grew up in the 50's & 60's had Dad's just like this guy's dad, what makes him so special ?
    I would bet that most of our Dad's taught us to work hard & save for a rainy day. That is why the USA prospered as it did, when it did. Most of the dad's of today don't have a clue. It will come back to bite them in the ass.

3. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford Midas Member Midas Member

wastewater

And the fault of that lies where??? Could it be that the lessons learned in the 50s and 60s were never passed down???

Remember the finger that points blame typically has three pointing right back at Ya.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  4. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

YES, I like to say that most of us, today, at our ages are guilty. We put our heads down & our butt's up, went to work to make a better world.
    Our mistake was trusting that our government would also behave - we learned a bitter lesson. This is why so many of us old farts are anti-government.

Son of Gloin, gringott and stoli like this.
  5. viking

viking Silver Member Silver Miner

I had walk 3 miles to school everyday in 3 feet of snow, in -30F weather, barefoot, uphill...both ways!

lighthousekeeper73 likes this.
  6. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech

Nothing like instant poverty to shape the minds of the young...

A world wide depression has that effect on people....

gringott and TAEZZAR like this.
  7. keef

keef Пальто Crude Platinum Bling

Retired Hoser
    Poverty builds one of two things; character or moral deprivation.

Depends on the Dad who raised you (or was absent)

Agavegirl1, gringott and TAEZZAR like this.
  8. TAEZZAR

hahahahahaha it would do some shaping on the middle aged & some older yet !!!
    It might even shape me up. !!!

Goldhedge likes this.
  9. SilverCity

SilverCity Gold Member Gold Chaser

retired aerospace
    Haven't talked to mine in years. He will be 97 this September. He made his bed...

SC

10. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

My dad was a product of the Great Depression and then with the steel depression of the rust belt in the 1970s. We ended up moving to Florida times got so bad.

He only bought 2 brand new cars in his lifetime, one was a 1971 Ford Econoline van with 3 on the tree and no A/C for $1500 and my mom got a 1967 Ford Country Squire station wagon. I don't know how much he paid for that.

My dad thought he was always right about most things and was rebellious to the end. He did not graduate high school and was a self-employed handyman most of his life.

He was not a good father because he liked to drink too much Scotch and then beat his kids. He used to drag me to work since I was 8 years old and give me the nastiest, dirtiest jobs. He liked to scam anybody he did business with and was always thinking my friends were using me for their own personal gain? We lived modestly and he never threw anything away. He also rarely did house maintenance, was a big procrastinator and liked to argue with everybody.

TAEZZAR, gringott and andial like this.
  11. keef

keef Пальто Crude Platinum Bling

Retired Hoser
    Its Derrik Day here and I just discovered Derrik had an 'absent dad'. I don't know what that is like, but I'd hope to handle it one tenth as well as he did:

Or worse, if I had a Dad like Glenn Beck? fk. I'd never leave the basement.​

12. Merlin

Merlin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

My Dad was the son of a Free Methodist preacher. His father abused him emotionally all his childhood. When Dad was a senior in high school, for instance, my grandfather locked him in his room without any clothes because he didn't want Dad dating the girl who was to be my mother. Well, that didn't work, so they got married and had three children. I hated my Dad most of my life because he was a prick. He and Mom fought seemingly all the time. Dad smoked cigarettes, drank too much, told dirty jokes at the dinner table and used vulgar language. In other words he was a bad boy most of the time--so in character for a preacher's son.

It wasn't until he lay dying in an intensive care hospital ward in St. Louis that I began to consider all that he had done for me. He wasn't an absentee dad by any stretch; he and Mom had been married all those years, after all. And the man worked hard to provide for his family; it seemed he was always finding a new job that promised to make a few more dollars. There were his special efforts too. Every Saturday morning he would get up at 5:30 on his day off to tie my tie, make sure I was properly attired, and drive me down to my high school so I could join my debate team for an out-of-town trip. How great was that!

There, at the end of his life, I told him that I loved him (probably for the very first time) and thanked him for all that he had done for me. I was worried he might not have heard me; but the nurse assured me that our sense of hearing is probably the last sense to fail when we die and she was sure that he had. I sure hope he did. It took me 54 years of living to realize how lucky I had been to have had him for my Dad. Many folks are not nearly so lucky.

13. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    K, I am very, very confused, has nothing to do with you, u blew tonged bear, nope just how what was written was wrote. yeah these dirty '30's offspring still liveth and their impact has packted. kind of like a I cant un see it thing.... my Grandma used to swipe her finger inside every can of store bought goods. Darnn she even took out the other end also. Then there is all the pick the berries, snag the salmon (i know- and fuck u 2); pick those apples..(every one on that scout bout got shot)BBut no one in the fam-damm-aliey was a flippen banker or a baker though there were many cobblers and pies made.....yeah piss on you because I myself churned many a jug of ice-cream....

yeah them peeps who went through them times, why they are hero's, peculiar by today's standards but gold non the less.

and I apologizs , apologize (there got it right(darn) k, well crapp....IF I have offend you eye did not mean too it is I just have no gut for the grewel of a bank'rs sun or son.

just cant do it.

gringott likes this.
  14. michael59

20 years logging
    Context Merlin,context. I can see it and, and maybe you should also. Not context on happenstance of your life, happenstance of what happened before.

Life sucks and then you find out you are in life...well fuck u so am I...how do we get out of here? kind of like that law merchant...k, just grab an oar...if we go in circles then at least we are doing something....

15. Rollie Free

Rollie Free Midas Member Midas Member

I can't really say I have any bad memories of my dad, he died when I was 11 so I guess I was unable to see his faults. The teenage years tend to start that wedge between boys and their dads. He was generous, liked kids, worked hard, and had a great sense of humor.
    One of the things I took away from him was his tendency to make light of 'serious' and pointless situations. My brother, as a young kid, came home and asked my dad what background we came from. He told him he was half Indian/half negro. And that's what my brother told the school. My dad got a phone call.
    My daughter brought home a questionaire from school wanting information as to 'what we are'. I filled out every single box, and waited for a phone call. I was so ready to blow up at them about why this has no business being discussed and had strong questions why they want to reduce my daughter to a categorized race. The call didn't come. Instead she got instilled into the Hispanic club and got invite only's to their events. Ironically, that particular box was legit.

gringott and michael59 like this.
  16. michael59

20 years logging
    • well rollie just trying being me. nothing special here but my famdammalie dint reach this land under treason or statute. Just hinz57 now. give it a few more years and we be alien I'm thinking.

17. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    My dad was older than the dad in the OP. He was second youngest in a family of 12. Grandad died before the Depression. Grandma died when I was about 5, I think 1960. We used to go see her every Saturday, each time we got a hug, kiss and a silver dollar.
    My father had an 8th grade education. He always worked & saved, in the end he left my stepmother over a million dollars.
    I learned what hard work was from him, whether I liked it or not.
    He was not a patient man when I was growing up, it was hard on me.
    He died in 1996, I am able now to see his point of view a bit clearer.
    Of course I always loved him, but hated some of the things he did.
    He was there when I needed him most I must say.

TAEZZAR and Rusty Shackelford like this.
  18. Rollie Free

Rollie Free Midas Member Midas Member

Unfortunately dad's end up being the bad guy a lot and their expression of love, including discipline, isn't realized until one becomes a father themselves. Many times by then their father is gone.Women tend to want to be loved as much as they want to love which leads to wanting affirmation from their children over doing what's best for them. At one time I had four teenagers at under my roof. I was a pretty bad guy at the time.
    Felt pretty good when my oldest son (27) told his younger siblings that they should listen to me. He realizex all thos 'mean' things I did or said had a purpose, a good one.
    Prior to that my name was mud.

gringott and Glasgow like this.
  19. TAEZZAR

"When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."
    Mark Twain

20. michael59

20 years logging
    I haven't talked to my dad in about...? Gosh I really don't know, could be twenty years or more. He is in the hospital now so I guess I should get my ass off of this high horse and at least give a call but getting through his wife to find him will be a chore as that bitch has hated me for so ever a long time and I her also. I'll do an end run around her though one of my aunts or my sister, maybe but my sister told me she got the run around from the wife also. One thing I can say for the man is he sure divorced us three when he married her and as any good divorce lawyer knows keeping to the agreement is keeping the law, a contract is a contract ya know. I din't want it but damm it I'll abide by it.

I guess now every one can surmise why I am such an ass now but darn it I really do try to play nice but when it gets to a subject such as this I tend to go off the deep end. And, when I really think about it I find I really don't care, at all.

gringott likes this.