1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Reuse container for rain barrel water system question.

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by gringott, Nov 2, 2014.

1. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    I was in the local farm store, starts with an O, think it is Orshelains, anyway they used to have blue barrels for this purpose, now they have these brown ones. I snapped some pictures, they are from Greece, cost $42.19. They already have a spigot on them. I hopefully won't be drinking the water, just for garden etc, what are your thoughts? Or should I pay the big bucks for a system at the big bux home centers? All comments appreciated, gracias.

WP_20141031_12_18_16_Smart.jpg WP_20141031_12_18_33_Smart.jpg WP_20141031_12_18_47_Smart.jpg WP_20141031_12_20_35_Smart.jpg

2. GOLD DUCK

GOLD DUCK Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

QWAK,I got one just like it about 20+ years ago but no spigot it was used for shipping olives. :cheerful::thumbs_up:

I found a place down here that sells big 350 gal. used plastic tanks in a metal cage on a plastic pallet for $25.00 each.:thumbs_up::23_28_100s: I bought 4 of them :yes:

They sell the 50 gal. blue barrels for $5.00 each --- I got 6 of them!:thumbs_up::23_28_100s:

the DUCK :15_1_70v:

3. gringott

N/A
    Thanks DUCK I guess I gotta keep moving and looking.

4. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Try Craigslist.

5. GOLD DUCK

GOLD DUCK Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

QWAK,gringott,The brass spigot and the cost of some one to drill the hole for it and mount it is most of what you are paying for!:thumbs_up::cheerful:

I still got my old olive barrel :thumbs_up: I put a screen in the screw on top so the skeeters could not get in and lay eggs.:thumbs_up:

The blue barrels are sealed except for the fill hole and place to screw in a spigot ---- most say they held rice wine or vinegar.:cheerful:

If you check resteraunts you may be able to get the empty barrels for free just for hauling them off.:idea::23_28_100s:

the DUCK :15_1_70v:

6. argentos

argentos Former Boat Owner Gold Chaser

Retired
    It says: "PER ALIMENTI" and "δια τροφιμα" which both mean "for food", so the worst that could happen would be it stinks of garlic or whatever!

!0002.jpg

GOLD DUCK likes this.
  7. pitw

pitw Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Custom pesticide applicator.
    I found the big stores or farm supply places sell poorer quality plastic containers than I can buy from places who make containers locally.

8. hoarder

hoarder Banned

As Duck mentioned, the "totes" (soft plastic container in a pallet cage) is the cheapest per gallon you can find. The big question in either case is how long will it resist UV sunlight before it disintegrates? It would help if it was in a shady spot or had a layer of latex paint on it.

My cistern is made of concrete and buried.

9. argentos

Retired
    One good thing about barrels is that, provided the tap can be replaced by a blanking plug, they are much easier to move around when they are full.

"They roll, roll, roll, because they're round, round round!"

hoarder likes this.
  10. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

BEWARE OF BIG SHITHEAD BROTHER !!!!!
    In some states, it is AGAINST THE LAW TO COLLECT RAIN WATER !!!!

Oregon Man Sentenced to 30 Days in Jail -- for Collecting Rainwater on His Property

Link: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/oregon-man-sentenced-30-days-jail-collecting-rainwater-his-property

The "water master' tried to f^^k with me about my pond.
    He said that all water in Oregon belonged to the state.
    I replied, "You might want to check with GOD about that".
    The phone conversation terminated shortly thereafter, & I haven't heard from them since.
    That's been about 4 years ago.

searcher, hoarder and CrimsonGuardJay like this.
  11. CrimsonGuardJay

CrimsonGuardJay Silver Member Silver Miner

Good for you, I'm surprised the fucks didn't press the issue. Your best bet is to make it so no one but you knows about it.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  12. Treasure Searcher

Treasure Searcher Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

The state will claim that all water in the state belongs to the state. If your property becomes flooded, because of the mismanagement of water by the government, the state claims no liability.

(Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer) In some states, public water dams are considered a "state created danger". Water is supposed to flow in the natural waterways (rivers, etc.). If a dam is built and it breaks, then the state could have liability.

13. gringott

N/A
    Thanks everybody. So far we have a little more sense here in my neck of the woods than to try to stop people from collecting rainwater on your own property. As we don't have storm sewers I think they are happy for anyone who dumps less water. My intent is to them on stands at each end of the house and capture the water for gardening etc. I actually have a plan to surround them with a wood fake tank and make them look like the old railroad water tanks by the tracks, so that should help with UV. I have seen plenty of the cage and white plastic tanks around here, but I suspect they are used for chemicals so I will have to be careful.

Thanks again, I couldn't thank each person because I don't have a thanks button. Cheers!

searcher likes this.
  14. FreeMan

FreeMan Seeker Seeker

gringott --

Definitely look on craigslist. Up in my area you can find ones previously used for food for $5-10 and brand new ones for $40. A rain barrel kit for hooking up the first one (which hooks up to the downspout and has the spigot and drain too) was about $25 (looks like $28 on Amazon) . . . hooking up more (just using connectors and spigot and daisy-chaining it) is pretty cheap since you just need the connecting tube between the barrels and the spigot (and drain).

I'm linking 55 gal drums together and they are on the side of my garage . . . and mostly shaded by the building and some bushes. After a year-and-a-half they don't show any signs of UV breakdown at all and the water coming out (even when sitting there for long periods) is completely clean and clear. FWIW, I'm using those blue plastic barrels (mine were sorbitol barrels) that have the closed/sealed top with just a bung hole and plug. One tip if you happen to use those -- drill a series of drain holes around the top lip so water won't puddle on top of your barrel. They are nice because they are pretty much sealed up and they are dark, so I haven't had mosquito or algae issues at all. With a Berkey in the house it's a pretty good solution short of having a well.

Oh, and to answer your question -- no way I would spend what they ask at the big box stores. There's just no reason to pay for those unless you are prettying up the landscaping. Depends on the neighborhood, I suppose. I'm 100% satisfied with my free barrels I bring home from work and my rain barrel kit connectors. Biggest problem I have is that we only use a couple of those type of barrels each year at work, so my patience is tested while I wait to increase my water storage . . .

15. gringott

N/A
    Freeman - thank you for the detailed tips. Great point about the top of the barrel [drill holes]. Also about the sealed issue and the water - I was worried about algae etc, seems from what you said it is a non-issue. I have a question - what method do you use to get the water OUT of the rain barrel?

My property has a slight slope toward the back where the garden area is, but the new deck is of course higher than the places I can install the barrels. Some of the planters I would like to water are on the various levels of the deck, hence my idea of elevating the barrels. However, if there is a more elegant solution I am interested in hearing it. As my wife will be the one mostly watering the deck planters, carrying a bucket is a no-go. I have thought of using a something like a solar garden pond pump, but I have no experience with one to know if it would work or not. I would rather not run electricity to them for house current pumps if I don't have to.

16. gringott

N/A
    Follow up - a 2 minute search of craigslist came up with a guy who has some in a nearby town

Bad speller but good price. Perhaps I'll offer $10 and take them all. Thanks for the tip. I generally stay away from craigslist but I guess I should not. After all, I do have several pistols.

17. gnome

gnome Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

How big is your roof? And how many inches of rain per year?

1" on 1sf of roof = 0.6 gallons. 1" on 1000sf of roof means 600 gallons.

Most people have vastly undersized catchment.

The reason the greeks export barrels is because they use big cisterns, built-in under the house.

18. Thecrensh

Thecrensh Gold Member Gold Chaser

Per EPA guidelines, your roof and storm gutter are now defined as "wetlands"...

19. argentos

Retired
    The USofA is a strange land.

20. gringott

N/A
    I'm not looking to catch all the rainwater, just enough for my garden needs.
    The greeks export those barrels because they have product in them, such as olive oil, as far as I know.
    I think even at $42 with the "value added" spigot it still wouldn't be very profitable to ship used empty plastic barrels to Kentucky.
    Here we have an abundance of used oak barrels used for whiskey, they even try to make them more economical to ship by breaking them down on pallets.
    Yet I see them for sale all the time, by the semi load.

gnome likes this.
  21. gringott

N/A
    It is just the leftist way of getting control of everything. They don't really believe any of the bullchit they toss around.

Like in my area, having a well is problamatic because of the rock under us, it could be 3 feet from the surface or 100, they say they don't know until they drill.
    A guy who was a hydrologist tried to explain it to me. Anyway, like in the "city" I live in, you have to be on the water and sewer.
    They upgraded the sewage treatment because the Feds made them. Therefore, the sewage portion of the bill went sky high.
    The sewage portion of the bill is based on water usage. Fine except if you use water that doesn't go in the sewage, you pay anyway.
    So when I wash my car or water my garden, I paid for the water, which I did use, and I pay for the sewage, which I didn't use.
    Therefore, I want to decrease my use by the amount I use outside.
    If I built new in the same location, I would do it completely different, however, if I build new it won't be in a "city" [it is called a city but it is a little village really, hang over from when it was the only place in this neck of the woods].

I just want some free water I can get cheaply that doesn't make me pay on the sewer bill.

argentos likes this.
  22. gringott

N/A
    Many people around here have cisterns and haul water themselves to their rural area because of the issues I stated above, they don't have city water and sewer however. There has been a lot of expansion into the rural areas, but many are still not connected.
    Septic has a problem in this area also.

23. gringott

N/A
    Some of the posts, like Gnomes, got me thinking. I could buy something like this, bury it in the backyard, and divert all my gutters to it. It would be out of sight and hold whatever capacity I needed. More expensive of course and I would need a method of getting it back out.

underground_water_tanks_cisterns.jpg

24. hoarder

hoarder Banned

If concrete cisterns are available in your area, they are usually cheaper, stronger and easier to bury than plastic cisterns.

gringott likes this.
  25. gringott

N/A
    I will investigate hoarder. Thanks.

26. hoarder

hoarder Banned

Plastic tanks sometimes pop out of the ground when they're empty and the surrounding ground is wet. When they install them, they put a couple feet of water in them, backfill a little, add more water, backfill some more and so on. Very tricky. I was surprised when my concrete cistern cost less than a plastic one the same size and a flatbed monorail truck delivered it and set it in my hole in a few minutes. The main thing with concrete cisterns is to have the bottom of the hole very flat so the cistern settles without stress points.
    You could use a shurflo pump to get water back out. They make them in all voltages.http://www.shurflo.com/

gringott likes this.
  27. gnome

If you're just looking for water for plants, a small pond with pond liner is another option.

Put a few fish in there and you've got water & fertilizer both covered.

gringott likes this.
  28. gnome

If you've got either time or friends, DIY ferrocement is another option:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
    gringott likes this.
  29. gringott

N/A
    Wow, the more I investigate and the more considerations you guys come up with have given me pause to reflect.

I will have to digest all this and make a decision. I knew I came to the right place for advice. Thanks to all of you.

This reminds me of when I did the deck and all your thoughts about composite vs. treated vs. cedar. My head was spinning.
    I ended up with cedar decking that I had shipped for the cost of local LoweDepot treated prices. Very happy with it so far.

30. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

31. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode