1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Robotics Expert Predicts Kids Born Today Will Never Drive a Car

Discussion in 'Auto, Tractor, Motorcycles, Racing, and Mechanics' started by Flight2gold, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Flight2gold

Flight2gold Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter ++

pilot
    January 3, 2017

Technology is moving very quickly these days – so fast that predictions of what the future will look like are constantly changing. One day someone is predicting that the majority of cars in the U.S. will be electric, but still human-driven, and the next someone else is telling us most cars will be autonomous and won’t even be owned by those riding in them. The latest prediction posits that babies born today will never drive a car. Ever.

The prediction comes from Henrik Christensen, head of UC San Diego’s Contextual Robotics Institute, who spoke with The San Diego Union-Tribune ahead of a big robotics forum being held at the university this coming February.

“My own prediction is that kids born today will never get to drive a car,” said Christensen. “Autonomous, driverless cars are 10, 15 years out. All the automotive companies — Daimler, GM, Ford — are saying that within five years they will have autonomous, driverless cars on the road.”

When asked how he feels about future generations not knowing what it’s like to drive, Christensen said, “I love to drive my car, but it’s a question of how much time people waste sitting in traffic and not doing something else. The average person in San Diego probably spends an hour commuting every day. If they could become more productive, that would be good. With autonomous, driverless cars, we can put twice as many vehicles on the road as we have today, and do it without improving the infrastructure.”

Just as others, such as Tesla CEO Elon Musk and Lyft co-founder John Zimmer, have predicted, Christensen believes car ownership as we know it will not exist in 20 years. The days of getting in your car, which sat overnight, to drive to work where it will sit for another eight or more hours until you need it again are numbered.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/robotics-expert-predicts-kids-born-today-will-never-drive-car/

searcher likes this.
  2. Flight2gold

pilot
    Maybe a bit optimistic but we're surely getting there. :))
    We'll know its close when insurance rates go up if you self drive.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  3. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

When I was a kid driving and getting a car was tops on everyone's agenda. For some reason or another it seems like today there are a lot of kids with no desire to drive. Doesn't really make any sense to me. Having your own wheels means freedom. WTF??????

Flight2gold likes this.
  4. Flight2gold

pilot
    Life isn't to tough for young people today.
    Mom, Dad or friends are always there to drive me.

searcher likes this.
  5. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Wanted my freedom / independence when I was a kid. Always had summer / after school jobs. Got my license and bought my 1st car when I was 16. Bought a '59 Chevy Bel Air for $500 .My father paid for the first year's insurance ($500) and told me never to drive with out insurance. After I bought the car I went to work full time after school.

Loved having my own car and my own money.

Pic of '59 Bel Air

[​IMG]

Flight2gold likes this.
  6. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

I got a chevelle when I was 14 with grass cutting money. It was ugly brown and had a 6 cylinder,

[​IMG]

but I got a 70 when I was 16 and was the only guy in school who had 2 cars at 16.

[​IMG]

Flight2gold and searcher like this.
  7. tom baxter

tom baxter back from 2004

Retired now
    The driverless car is a joke, just another investment bubble to scam funds out of people. I could imagine a pilotless plane but of course no one would get on it. The British have driverless trains but they had to put a driver on them because again, no one would get on them.

What's the major weakness in a driverless car? The computer and it's complex system of sensors. I only have to think of my own personal experience with Laptops and smart phones to know they will never be safe enough outside of open cut mines. Computers crash, they lockup, they glitch, they have electrical faults. We see it all the time in those Aircrash investigation shows. Luckily though there are humans aboard who can bail the plane out when it wants to auger into the ocean or pitch up and stall.

8. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

I'm old enough to remember that in the late 1970s and early 1980s they said we'd all be working in paperless offices yet here we are and we now have more paper than back then.

The same will be true with cars. Autonomous cars will just be another nuisance on the roadways for those of us who drive.