1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Seattle's tunnel machine Bertha breaks through nearly 4 years later

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by Goldhedge, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired
    Seattle's tunnel machine Bertha breaks through nearly 4 years later

It's official - Bertha has broken through!

Seattle's tunnel boring machine that's been digging beneath the city for the State Route 99 tunnel reached the end of its 1.75-mile journey Tuesday, nearly four years after it embarked on the job.

Just before 10 a.m., Bertha pierced the cement wall of the tunnel, sending water, dirt and a plume of dust into the disassembly pit. About an hour and a half later, Bertha's cutterhead emerged from the earth.

The event marks the end of Bertha's 9,270 foot journey that she began July 2013. But the tunnel still has awhile to go before it will open to the public. Crews need to finish the double-decker lanes and other infrastructure.

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray says completing a tunnel that will serve as an underground highway was "a major construction milestone in our plan to reclaim Seattle's waterfront." He added the city is one step closer to taking down the viaduct for "our vision of a well-connected 21st century city" serving "pedestrians, transit and sensible car trips."

Washington Governor Jay Inslee says the breakthrough is "a historic moment in our state's transportation history." But critics call it an expensive vanity project, and environmentalists have objected to building another highway in Seattle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tunnel project was not always a smooth journey. From a sinkhole that shut down operations for months to cost overruns that climbed to nearly $500 million, the project caused some headaches.

Related: Bertha: How we got here and beyond

However, Bertha finished the journey without any major hiccups since digging resumed in December 2015.

Video at link

http://www.9news.com/traffic/bertha-seattle-tunnel-machine-breakthrough/428608308

2. spinalcracker

spinalcracker On a mail train. Silver Miner Site Supporter

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Cost overruns of $500 million!
    I can hear Mr Trump now.
    If Trump was in charge , this project would be on time and under budget.
    I worked on the first tunnel in Seattle back in 85-87 , the Seattle Bus Tunnel

andial and GOLDBRIX like this.
  3. D-FENZ

D-FENZ Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

4.25 billion dollars for 1.75 miles of highway anywhere is way, way too much money. The vast majority of funding is coming from people who will never even see it, let alone benefit in any way.

That shit would stop yesterday if the actual users were the ones paying for it.

TAEZZAR, mtnman, gringott and 6 others like this.
  4. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Delivery boy.
    It's easy to spend four and a quarter billion when you're yanking it out of someone else 's pocket.

TAEZZAR, mtnman, gringott and 8 others like this.
  5. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

That's why democracy that allows the poor a vote will always fail.

edsl48 and Son of Gloin like this.
  6. Howdy

Howdy Silver Member Silver Miner

If they didn't bring so many unneeded foreigners to Seattle, they wouldn't have so much traffic.

7. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

s.c., Do you have any knowledge how earthquakes have affected that older tunnel, and its size compared to this monstrosity ?

ctrl-z and spinalcracker like this.
  8. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Nope.
    We just poured and finished the concrete and let the engineers worry about the small stuff.......

DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES — Every weekday Derek James takes three different trains from his home in Burbank to his job at USC, passing through subway tunnels along the way. He seemed discomforted at the possibility of an earthquake hitting during the underground portion of his daily commute.

"I don't even want to think about being down here during an earthquake," James said while standing in the Metro tunnel at 7th and Flower.

However, Metro officials say tunnels are one of the best locations to find yourself when a quake strikes.

"Tunnels are the safest place during an earthquake because tunnels move as one unit with the ground," explained Murthy Krishniah, executive director of Transit Project Delivery for Metro.

L.A. Metro tunnels were designed in 1984 based on criteria developed by Metro engineers and the California Institute of Technology. Taking into account local fault lines, the structures were designed to withstand up to magnitude 7 earthquakes. The structures' test came in 1994 with the 6.7 magnitude Northridge earthquake, which the tunnels withstood without damage, Krishniah said.

In the event of significant shaking, underground recording centers are notified. The auto-setting in the system brings the trains to a complete stop, then reduces their speed to 5 mph or less, said Scott Norwood, emergency and preparedness manager for Metro.

Following large earthquakes, engineers inspect the tunnels, looking for cracks and other damage to the structures. Metro tunnels have not been significantly damaged due to past earthquakes, according to Krishniah.

"[During an earthquake], I would rather be in a subway tunnel than anywhere else," Norwood said.

Well Mr Norwood , you just scurry down into that tunnel just like a rat and I will take my chances out in the open.

searcher, ctrl-z and GOLDBRIX like this.
  9. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired
    Seattle is left of center. That's why they threw $4.25 billion into a hole in the ground...

10. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

Well, they are projecting that they'll collect ~$200million in tolls annually, so it could be paid for in about 22 years.
    ....but then there's money for maintenance too, so better add a few years to collect money for that.

So in reality it'll probably be closer to 30 years to pay for construction and maintain it. All for a little less than 2 miles of 4 lane highway.
    Now ask yourself when's the last time you saw a 4 lane highway through a major metropolitan area that was still efficiently serving its intended function 30 years after being built? The thing will be ready for an upgrade within 5 years, is my guess. At current growth rates, the Seattle area population will increase by 50% in approx 22 years.

Also, the current viaduct carries approx 110,000 cars/day and will be replaced by a tunnel with 4 lanes, two in each direction.

The web page, Numbers Every Traffic Engineer Should Know says that a four lane highway can carry approx 72,000 vehicles/day.
    Or in other words, it'll be over capacity the day it opens.

Edited to add: I just did the math and if they're expecting $200million/year in tolls and the road currently carries ~110,000/day, that means they think they'll be collecting $1,818/per car/year? That seems incredibly high to me. The traffic planners up there must all be smoking the legal weed or something. If I had tolls for one road that totaled nearly $2k/year, I'd find a different route.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    TAEZZAR, Son of Gloin, ctrl-z and 2 others like this.
  11. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    The 'Big Dig' in Boston was originally slated to cost roughly 4 billion. 14 billion later the tunnel opened and the payback began. There are endless stories of cheating and corruption by contractors and politicians during the project and a few people went to jail.

That's what you have to look forward to Seattle. Good luck with that!

12. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Taking into account "KNOWN" faults. That massive zipper in NZ recently rewrote the book on fault line activity. Also ... brings trains to a complete stop .. then slows them down further? Divide by zero anyone?

TAEZZAR and ctrl-z like this.
  13. Alton

Alton Gold Member Gold Chaser

Riiiiight! That is, until the tunnel doesn't want to move any more or, more likely, the tunnel don't hold together any longer. No thanks! Not for Alton and family.

searcher and spinalcracker like this.
  14. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    That's the dumbest thing I've read in some time! These executives making these ridiculous statements haven't got a clue. I'll stay topside if I'm in town during an earthquake, thank you very much!

TAEZZAR, Alton and spinalcracker like this.
  15. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    those are the same engineers that design for 2" slump concrete ........ :)

Alton and spinalcracker like this.
  16. spinalcracker

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Yep yep....and if the truck shows up with 1/2" slump we only had 1 chance to add water and to bad for us if it's only a 1" coming down the shute !
    Hell , I've seen laborers have to vibrate the concrete to get it to pour out!
    The engineers didn't like it when we said let's pour some concrete.
    The engineers said we need to place the concrete.
    Easy for him to say that.

Alton and ttazzman like this.
  17. Alton

There are some really good engineers out there. There are also some really bad engineers out there...too often employed by gov/gov. contractors.

spinalcracker, GOLDBRIX and ctrl-z like this.
  18. smooth

smooth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Seattle has to be the most Libtarded city in the Union and unfortunately, it pretty much dictates the rest of the state in all too many ways. Bertha is a prime example. They chose the most expensive, complicated and risky means of replacing the Alaskan viaduct they were offered. And the net result will be continued congestion. But they are ok with that because what they really want is to force folks into public transit. With a Mayor who basically runs on a platform of raising taxes and spending tens of thousands painting crosswalks into happy little rainbows (yes He's gay). It's like watching a freak show, and Bertha isn't even close to the main attraction. Voters just recently passed a light rail project that tripled their vehicle license fees and if that wasn't enough their vehicles are being assessed as if they just rolled off the lot. Even if they are 10 years old. Now the mayor is trying to raise property taxes through out King county to raise a Billion dollars for the homeless, yep thats right a billion dollars. It never ends with this cocksucker....

19. Alton

That's ok. Let him keep raising those taxes then, like California and New York City, Chicago and LA, let the exodus accelerate.
    Mass Exodus: 1 Million People Have Ditched New York Since 2010 | Zero Hedge

gringott and smooth like this.
  20. Eyebone

Eyebone Midas Member Midas Member

Many hilarious moments spent discussing the puke liberal's incompetent boondoggle

gringott likes this.
  21. wallew

wallew Gold Member Gold Chaser

Retired - no job, no money
    I'll make you a prediction.

BEFORE IT'S ACTUALLY IN USE, they will discover that it won't even handle it's current traffic needs. MUCH LESS 30 YEARS FROM NOW.

When was the last time you went on a newly built and opened roadway that did EXACTLY what it was designed for? Normally, they build them to specs that were 10+ years out of date before they move one shovel of DIRT.

Sorry, it's called governmental incompetence on a massive scale.

Alton, gringott and GOLDBRIX like this.
  22. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Smoot, do the people in Seattle believe in all this liberal crap like Swedes? Or are they using liberal crap to steal money from the public and live a first class life like they do back east.

smooth likes this.
  23. smooth

The people in Seattle are plain ape shit libtarded. The city is growing faster than the elephant mans head, and they cant create new taxes fast enough. The pedophile of a mayor has created a homeless Mecca, and now scum from all over our jumping on buses to become part of the free-attle movement. It's starting to make sense now that the Mayor has been accused of diddling a few homeless drug addicted teenage boys. Sanctuary City? un accompanied minors? fecken bring em!!!!!

andial likes this.
  24. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

smooth, yep, yer right on your opine of my fine fucked-up city. taxes, taxes, taxes, thats the name of the game around here. I didn't want to chime in on this thread because there was not much I could say that was approval of the way things function around here. You left out the part about how they take four lane streets and turn them into two lane streets with TWO fukin bicycle lanes. An how we have only two ways to go north or south through the city. Or how they spend money to stick islands in the middle of intersections and ignore the potholes, Or, or, or...

Damn, I knew I shoulda stayed away from this thread. pedophile mayor, shit

unh - when the sun shines it is nice here.

BF

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  25. ttazzman

....you guys are encouraging since my son is in the process of being transferred to Seattle....

26. smooth

On a positive note, it is beautiful in the summer. If He is into boating, the San Juans are very cool and loaded with Dungeness crab. And the mountains aren't far away. A couple hours drive to the eastern part of the state and you are almost guaranteed sun shine.

Bottom Feeder and ttazzman like this.
  27. ttazzman

he is a "hiker" Spartan Run outdoorsy kinda guy......he is having a very hard time finding a place to live out there.......he really likes the parks and trails out there

28. Bottom Feeder

ttazz - if your son is a hiker, backpacker, outdoor enthusiast then the Pacific NW is THE PLACE for him to settle down. True, there is a lot of bullshit to put up with around here but younger guys can get away into the hills. Depending on where he is working he may want to look for a place in say, Maple Valley or Cle Elum. Seattle, I would say stay out of that town, its the traffic pits. (I guess that why they wanted to dig the multi-billion dollar hole).

Anyhow, tell him its a nice place - ya just gotta watch out for the pricks.

BF

smooth and ttazzman like this.
  29. wallew

wallew Gold Member Gold Chaser

Retired - no job, no money
    It's funny how annoying a 'little prick' can be!!

Gary Shandling to Robert Downing Jr at the end of IRONMAN 1

30. Colonel Sushi

Colonel Sushi Silver Member Silver Miner

As for Bertha, I don't have an opinion (as I've not followed too closely).

Growing up near the Seattle area, the city has never had common sense when it came to getting people around the city.

It's a narrow city bordered on East and West with two bodies of water while at the same time it's a "car town."

West Coast car town: people drive for everything and anything alone and complain about traffic.

Beyond stupid.

After voters said "yes" to the monorail and millions of dollars were raised they haggled and whined and finally abandoned it altogether.

31. Bottom Feeder

Yeah the monorail boondoggle, I forgot about that one. Another good example of "Give us your money, we'll find a way to spend it."

BF

32. Colonel Sushi

Colonel Sushi Silver Member Silver Miner

And before this thread fades I'd like to add I see Seattle the same way as many members here: the city is run by PC cry baby idiots who have no common sense and I don't think they represent of the people in the city, although there a many woosified babies.

One of many stupid exapkrs is the city of Seattle telling workers for the city what NOT to say:

Don't say "citizen." You could hurt the geelings of an illegal so say "resident" instead.

Many other examples. City council and other politicos are goofballs.

33. the_shootist

Oxygen Breather
    Why so many people allow themselves to be ruled by so few PC crybaby idiots is beyond me. It happens all over the world and no one has figured out how to fix it yet