1. TGIF for sure, as the metals markets absorbed the early attack and came back strong by end of day. Going into the weekend having very nice gains on the week. Even with the Dollar moving to the up yesterday. Metals showing real nice strength the last few weeks now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Need more resources for the Industry Links. Have some guns/ammo, preps, pm dealers, and charts, but need more to make it a go to resource and replace bookmarks. Please send me a conversation with your ideas for others we should add. TIA. Together we will make it a great resource.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 2/6/16 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1157.7 Up 41.30-- Silver $14.80 Up 56 ct-- Oil $30.89 DOWN 2.73-- USD $97.05 DOWN 2.60-- Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE $1232.39 (1), SAE $18.46 (20)
  4. Please use the following for log on: www.goldismoney2.com We have moved to a new server. Please reset bookmark accordingly
  5. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

Secret Service demands ebay remove all Norfed Liberty dollars as counterfeits

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by Aurumag, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Aurumag

Aurumag Post-1792 Coinage E-FRN Wage Slave Midas Member

The United States Secret Service has requested the removal of all Norfed Liberty dollars on the eBay site as counterfeits.

Here is the e-mail I received from ebay today:

Dear hardcash4hire (hardcash4hire@yahoo.com),

You recently listed the following listing:

221156937525 - 2006 Massachusetts State, 1 troy oz. .999 Fine Silver Liberty by NORFED & BvNH
    221156950597 - Panama 2007 OneTroy Ounce .999 Silver Libertad - Designed by BvNH of NORFED
    221156954870 - 2006 Colorado State, 1 troy ounce .999 Fine Silver Liberty by NORFED & BvNH
    221156956955 - 2006 Montana State, 1 Troy Ounce .999 Fine Silver Liberty by NORFED & BvNH
    221156958769 - 2006 New Mexico State, 1 troy ounce .999 Fine Silver Liberty by NORFED & BvNH
    221156960886 - 2006 Oregon State, 1 troy ounce .999 Fine Silver Liberty by NORFED & BvNH
    221156962511 - 2006 Alaska State, 1 Troy Ounce .999 Fine Silver Liberty by NORFED & BvNH
    221156972899 - Ron Paul 2008 Vote for Truth, 1 troy oz, $20 Silver Liberty - by NORFED creator
    321028520530 - 2005 & 2006 Fractional set - Total 2 Troy Ounces of Silver Libertys by NORFED
    321028525089 - Ron Paul 2008 Vote for Truth, 4 AV ozs, $1 Copper by BvNH and NORFED
    321028534140 - 2005 & 2006 Fractional set - Total 4 Troy Ounces of Silver Libertys by NORFED
    321028536095 - 2006 Virginia State, 1 troy oz. .999 Fine Silver Liberty by NORFED & BvNH
    321028543321 - 2006 Pennsylvania State, 1 troy oz. .999 Fine Silver Liberty by NORFED & BvNH
    321028545927 - 2006 Michigan State, 1 troy ounce .999 Fine Silver Liberty by NORFED & BvNH
    321028549399 - 2006 Missouri State, 1 troy ounce .999 Fine Silver Liberty by NORFED & BvNH
    321028551983 - King Kamehameha 2007 Hawaii Dala One Troy Oz .999 fine Silver by BvNH of NORFED
    321028560309 - 2008 Skull & Crossbones $50, One troy ounce .999 Silver Liberty - BvNH & NORFED
    321028577517 - 2007 California Bear .999 Fine Silver Liberty - Designed by BvNH of NORFED
    321028580324 - 2008 CAL EVERGREEN Bear Silver Liberty 2 troy ounces $50 base 2/5 oz. - NORFED

Unfortunately, we had to remove your listing because of the following:

The United States Secret Service has requested the removal of all Norfed Liberty

dollars on the eBay site as counterfeits. If you have any questions you can contact

them at the US Secret Service Public Affairs Office – 202-406-5708.

Please do not relist this item(s).

We appreciate that you chose to list this coin on our site and understand there was no

ill intent on your part. Your listing fees have been credited to your account.

Replica coins are no longer allowed on the site.

To learn more about our policy, go to:
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/currstamps.html

All fees related to this listing have been credited to your account. We also notified members who placed bids on the item that the listing has been canceled.

Please note: violation of this or other eBay policies may result in forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings, limits on account privileges and account suspension.

You can review our list of prohibited and restricted items here:
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/items-ov.html

If you have any more questions, contact our policy experts. Get started by clicking the link below.
    http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ContactCS&Query=1338&Domain=Homer_EOA&From=163954

We appreciate your understanding.

Thanks,

eBay

charlie1023, smooth, phideaux and 4 others like this.
  2. newmisty

newmisty Duppy Conqueror Midas Member

Maybe we could list them as "numismatic curiosities"?

Aurumag likes this.
  3. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    I didn't know the Secret Service had such 'power' to define things as counterfeit.

There must be some court case that defines such police powers to the SS :hmmmm2:

Eyebone likes this.
  4. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

These things are going to be melted down en masse, and the few left will become sought after historical relics. I wish I had some.:cool1:

5. arminius

arminius Gold Member Gold Chaser

420 healer
    Counterfeiters can't stand competition...

Merlin, charlie1023, minimus and 16 others like this.
  6. Aurumag

I have yet to confer with my legal counsel, but I am already seeking a new venue.

I have sold a few here on GIM2, but my concern at this point is the link between PayPal and eBay.

Just a little by and by:

The Secret Service is now a subsidiary of the neo-Stazi Aparachik we all know as the Department of Homeland Security.

Fun times!

Eyebone likes this.
  7. Aurumag

This is from the SS web-site, so it must be true:

The only relevant court case that comes to mind at this point is that of Bernard von NotHaus...

8. GOLDZILLA

This just made me think about why they would do this now.

These have been traded for a long time and it took them almost a decade to get to this point.

Add this to the article posted here a few days back about how they're going to eliminate the nickel and penny this January.

Makes me think the new currency is about to be sprung, and they may be proactively trying to stem the confusion that will be created when everyone has to learn the new coins...

9. 917601

917601 Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

I ran into a bunch of them while working in Moscow 1995-1989, on the plane ride over sat next to a few, all there because of the counterfeits in Russia. One stated that up to 50 percent of all US cash in Russia was counterfeit, and someone was making perfect 100's.We changed our currency design shortly after 1989 if memory serves.

Tiger44 likes this.
  10. Eyebone

Eyebone Gold Member Gold Chaser

Yeah, if only,,they had any,,good or reasonable intentions.

11. GOLDZILLA

People took advantage of new coins like that in the past. The V nickel comes to mind. When it was new, they plated it with brass or zinc and many were passed as 5 dollar gold pieces. Although back then, news was slow as there was no television or internet, and the coins were worth less than their metal content.

12. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

These will go sky high now, I have some I will sell at the fun show in Jan.

13. Solo

Solo Midas Member Midas Member

UGH! This is *terrible* news for Norfed collectors and sellers as it is going to severely limit availability and access to the coins (which will depress new collectors coming into the market IMO). I realize they will now appeal to some since they're "officially banned" now, but if you can't sell them on eBay a lot of dealers simply won't show interest. Realistically you're going to have to set up a website, or partner with someone willing to sell them for you Aurumag. I guess you could try listing them without Norfed in the title, but I have a feeling eBay will still kill your auctions. Hopefully something will work out for you shortly though.

I guess now is the time to scour eBay and record prices for all the available closed auctions Norfed auctions:(. Bummer, I was just starting to put my collection together and now this happens :(:mad:

:508:

14. Wellsburg

Wellsburg Seeker

Small Business Owner
    I will be happy to buy your Norfed silver at spot. I like them and have several stored, happy to add to the stack.

PM me your phone # and I will respond.

Thanks

Goldhedge likes this.
  15. Solo

Ha!

Aurumag knows I pay more than spot so get in line dude ;):p!

Call or PM before the show about them southfork. I'll pay more than spot :cool::bear_thumb:

16. ttazzman

ttazzman Gold Member Gold Chaser

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma

Are they saying that NO replica coins are now allowed on ebay???.......last i looked the whole site was full of replica coins?????

Ragnarok likes this.
  17. Strawboss

Strawboss Intergalactic Silver Guru Gold Chaser

IT Consulting
    What ever happened to due process?

When a governmental agency can make things happen/not happen by edict - that isnt a republic. Its totalitarianism.

18. Gcubed

Gcubed Banned

I think they actually had a trial and the jury found the stuff to be counterfeit. The perp is still awaiting sentencing. Has my memory failed me? :confused:

19. Strawboss

Strawboss Intergalactic Silver Guru Gold Chaser

IT Consulting
    I have no idea - havent followed it at all. I was operating on the assumption that the Secret Service simply arbitrarily decided that they shouldnt be allowed "for sale" and issued an edict to ebay to cease and desist. If mistaken - I stand corrected.

20. Gcubed

Gcubed Banned

I'm pretty sure that there was a trial. Do dat count as "due process"? ;)

21. Ragnarok

Ragnarok I'd rather be Midas Member

"Replica coins are no longer allowed on the site."

I expect to see this rule pursued ruthlessly by buyers and sellers until Ebay once again is a safe and reputable site for coin/bar sales.:rolleyes:

R.

22. honu5050

honu5050 Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

nunya
    why not novelties ?

23. Carl

Carl Gold Member Gold Chaser

Depends upon the time of day the question is asked
    To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures;

To provide for the punishment of counterfeiting the securities and current coin of the United States
    [​IMG]

It's his own damn fault for sticking a dollar value on them, which made them money.

GOLDZILLA, Goldhedge and phideaux like this.
  24. JayDubya

JayDubya Gold Member Gold Chaser

What about Daniel Carr pieces?

25. azxcvbnm321

azxcvbnm321 Silver Member Silver Miner

You are right, there was a trial. The issue is the dollar amount they printed on these coins. Only the US Govt. has the authority to mint coins, which means to give them a dollar amount. The defendants argued that the amounts only represented "Liberty Dollars" and not US Dollars and they had no intent to try and pass them off as legal tender. But e-mail documents, letters, and an interview the guy did with a journalist when he used a $10 Liberty coin at a shop to purchase something showed otherwise.

These guys tried to push the limits and they went too far. Anyone can issue bullion, and hell you can even put some sort of denomination on it, but it can't seem like they are in $dollars. 10 barter units, 10 credits, something like that would be OK, but when you use the international sign for dollar $, and it has Ten Dollars stamped on the bottom, that's too far for a jury.

26. Aurumag

Apparently the Liberty Dollar was lumped together with all the replica coins which eBay banned, at the behest of the SS, of course.

GCubed is right.

There was a federal trial in March of 2011, and BvNH was convicted of counterfeiting, although he has yet to be sentenced.

Here's the thing though:

If the LD was indeed counterfeit U.S. Coinage, shouldn't the SS have already gone after eBay sellers like me? I've been very publicly marketing LDs since 2004, and I have yet to be charged with a crime.

The U.S. Mint sent me a cease and desist letter in 2006, and the address is still the same, so its not like I've been hiding and they can't find me.

In this case, the SS persuaded eBay to ban the sales of LDs, so it remains to be seen as to whether the SS will go after everyone in possession of LDs.

IMO, this will be numismatic value positive for the Liberty Dollar.

By the way, no one, including the Mint or U.S. Treasury, owns the word "Dollar," and "The Liberty Dollar" is a registered trade mark.

Here is the definition of a Dollar from the Founding Documents:

27. hoarder

hoarder Banned

Except that what you are calling "neo-nazi" just happens to be Jewish.

Attached Files:

28. Treasure Searcher

Treasure Searcher Gold Member Gold Chaser

Sometimes allowing you to have a cigarette, before the firing squad pulls the rifle triggers, is all the due process you will ever get. :bear_blink:

29. Solo

Daniel Carr's coins are considered fantasy pieces. He makes coins that never existed (eg. 1964 Peace dollar), or totally original (hard times tokens/Ameros), or coins that are overstruck with new dates, mm, and details. Daniel has really gone out of his way to make sure he's not in a legal grey area from what I've read. He's a very helpful guy and will respond to questions if you ever need to ask him anything. His stuff nearly always goes up in value and I plan on buying at least one or two pieces from him at the FUN show this January. The fact he has a vintage US Mint press to stamp out coins really adds to the appeal on some level.

:thumbs_up::beerglass::cool1:

30. ~BS

~BS Gold Member Gold Chaser

oh well. I have some of these with varying denominations. Banning will drive the market price higher, but it wll be more underground.

His problem was that he called them dollars. he could have used anything else and been ok, but the govt. doesn't look too kindly on compettition.

31. ~BS

~BS Gold Member Gold Chaser

I think the issue is not only the "dollar value" because there are many countries that use dollar. The US doesn't have the monopoly on the word. It's more because he stuck "USA", "Liberty" "American", etc on the currency itself, which the feds saw as a direct challenge.

If he said "one dollar" issued by norfed private mint, he wouldn't have had an issue.

Solo likes this.
  32. Aurumag

The trial appeared to be legit, but there was something wrong with the jury...they looked like sentient human beings, but when it came down to defiance of the fed monetary system, they blinked and went with the prosecutor's rambling bravo sierra.

As evidence, the prosecution used wrongly sized photocopies of U.S. Coinage to compare with the Liberty Dollars, and the jury bought it, IMO because they were chosen from a pool of compliant, sheople citizens who dutifully and unquestionably follow and perhaps even worship at the altar of fed.gov

The jury instructions lasted 4 hours, but the deliberation was less than two hours.

After the conviction, the prosecutor demanded that all the seized PMs be immediately melted as counterfeit contraband, then held a press conference and labeled BvNH a domestic terrorist.

The judge refused to give up the metal seized in 2007, but then the question arose as to whether ALL NORFED Liberty Dollars were contraband, including those sold on eBay and those in the possession of thousands of individuals.

After a few weeks, the DOJ came back and said, "It is OK to possess NORFED Liberty Dollars, as long as they are not used as current money."

eBay's decision was that of a private company complying with a blanket request from the SS, which included an entire list of sellers of replica coins.

Now I will sell something else on eBay...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  33. Aurumag

As I stated in my post above, the eBay venue is no longer available for LD sales, as of today, but there is no prohibition against exchanging LDs as collectibles. eBay just happened to be the largest venue for such items.

The issue was never one of similitude, although that is what the DOJ used against the LD, and was apparently enough to convince the jury (not my peers).

You are correct that the issue was, is, and will continue to be one of competition, so long as the U.S. Dollar continues to be devalued, degraded and debased in direct contrast with the three monetary metals proscribed in the Coinage Act of 1792: copper, silver and gold.

Honest Money resonates with people, while scraps of cotton and pot metal coins are useful for nothing more than passing along before the next devaluation occurs.

The vast majority of the LDs I moved between 2005 and 2008 were obtained by my customers at an average price of $15 FRN per ounce, so all of my customers have done quite well in terms of exchanging FRNs for perennially valuable assets.

In light of global demand for PMs, and the concurrent loss of faith in the fiat FRN, it seems that the eBay banning was a relatively easy method for fed.gov to continue their attempts at squelching the honest money movement, and at the same time lumping the Liberty Dollar together with the rampant fake coin market.

Considering all I have risked, and all the wealth I have lost, but intend to regain, this is just a speed bump on the road to monetary freedom!

Solo likes this.
  34. Gcubed

Gcubed Banned

With all respect Aurumag, the jury had no agenda. They were to be impartial. Juries are supposed to be that way. Both sides had the opportunity to present their case. The jury ruled for the prosecution.

I understand your frustration however, you had an interest in the outcome of the trial. The jury could not and should not carry your bias.

Aurumag likes this.
  35. Aurumag

I freely admit my bias towards honest money, as that is why I went into the business.

Surely, based upon my knowledge of engineered FRN inflation, I could have quietly stacked PMs, but I instead chose to make a political statement, joined a controversial organization whose NORFED product (National Organization to Repeal the Federal Reserve and Income Tax) was, and still remains a protected act of free speech whose intent is to enrich Americans, including the jury that convicted the monetary architect.

I also know that the U.S. Mint coinage sales are big business, and I have had more than a few verbal altercations with coin dealers who are still relishing in the verdict.

The fact remains, that NORFED has its roots as a political organization whose goal is to tangibly demonstrate the FACT that the U.S. Dollar has been surreptitiously debased; a crime which, until LBJ ramrodded the Coinage Act of 1965, was punishable by death.

I harbor no animosity towards the jury, or ebay, but the Mint, the SS, the FBI, the fed.gov prosecutor and DOJ cannot claim a lack of bias, or innocence for that matter. They are all culpable in their efforts to silence the Honest Money Movement, and eventually, they will pay the price for their part in this grand monetary deception known as the FRN system.

99 years of fiat has successfully indoctrinated the majority to tacitly accept empty promises of value in place of the REAL value which is the bedrock of every thriving marketplace throughout history. Majority rules in a democracy, right?

Still, even though I touched and thus enriched only a miniscule percentage of the population with a product that is honest and pure, I would do it all again, and I will continue in my efforts so long as I have breath.

Yeah, I am totally biased!

bemac, Solo, Fatboy and 2 others like this.
  36. newmisty

newmisty Duppy Conqueror Midas Member

It this just for silver or the copper ones too?

37. Gcubed

Gcubed Banned

There are many "honest money" products that are legally dealt in on a daily basis. Perhaps you should investigate that option. All legally operated businesses are subject to scrutiny. It seems to me that you got hooked up with a product that came with a potential legal burden and ended up paying a price. Good luck and fortune in your future endeavors.

Aurumag likes this.
  38. Aurumag

Silver, gold, copper, and I will also assume silver and gold certificates (I may test this one, but I am not quite ready).

newmisty likes this.
  39. hoarder

hoarder Banned

Real money is denominated in TROY OUNCES, why call anything but counterfiet money "dollars"?

Brent H likes this.
  40. Gcubed

Gcubed Banned

Damn!! YOU of all people, said something I agree with! :hmmmm2:

Aurumag and newmisty like this.