1. After a week and 1/2 of straight up, stocks look for a break prior to Holiday weekend.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Fri Morning! Gold is up 9.6 to 1266. Silver is up 10 to 17.30. Crude is up 31 to 49.31. The USD is down 17 to 97,00.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 5/13/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1227.70-- UP 0.80 Silver $16.40-- UP 13 Oil $47.84-- UP 1.62 USD $99.13 -- UP .61
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Silver and Gold for good grades -- what do you think?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Forum' started by Silver Backed, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Silver Backed

Silver Backed New Member

I'm new here, but I was really heavy into PMs about 10 years ago. I've been getting back into bullion and coins over the last few months. As I have come back around, I also made a deal with my children, to encourage them to make good grades. Do you think it is a good motivator or might instill good saving habits? Thanks for any input

searcher likes this.
  2. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    my children are both 30+ now.........when they were little.......family like grandparents etc bought them toy kinda stuff for birthdays etc....so i started with both of them....birthdays..christmas...grades..etc.....bought them...savings bonds...stocks....gold coins....silver coins......the result was......they both made good grades....they both went to college one graduated as a engineer the other is a mba/cpa....they both earned their undergraduate degrees in 3 years(motivated because they were paying their own way) .....they both bought their own cars at 16.....paid their own ways through college with scholarships and funds accumulated ..with no debt...both still have some of the gold and silver left ......

point is......it worked it started a trend of personal responsibility and financial understanding that helped them both through to their current lifes

3. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Silver Miner

Welcome to the forum Silver Backed. Like I've heard said "You come here for the PMs and stay for the crazy." Don't let things bug you and remember; on the internet no one knows you're a dog. :D

About the children; if they were under ten or eleven why don't you take them to a local coin show and see if they're interested in the displays?

BF

Silver Backed likes this.
  4. Silver Backed

Silver Backed New Member

Thanks for the good pointers! You reminded me of some things I forgot that shaped my life. For instance, my grandparents gave me a savings bond every year, and I was able to put a chunky downpayment on my first car. I still have my first bond from 40 years ago. I can't bring myself to cash it in. I definitely want to teach my children to be savers. My oldest is very good about it. The others are spenders. Thanks for the advice!

5. Silver Backed

Silver Backed New Member

Thanks for the welcome, BF!
    Woof woof!
    My youngest actually did ask me to go to a coin show the other day. I haven't even taken him to an LCS yet, but I will take him to the next show in town. He would be really pumped about it!

6. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

The only thing that would worry me is kids talk and the words Gold and Silver make bad people crazy.
    Unfortunately that is the world we live in today. I love the idea but my logical side still kicks in.

Silver Backed and Someone_else like this.
  7. Montecristo

Montecristo Silver Member Silver Miner

I'm all for this. I did it with both my kids. I started with the silver Christmas rounds with fun designs that would catch their fancy. Then birthdays. Then as they got older and started to work Whenever they made a deposit into an IRA I would toss them another one. There's something about watching the stack of silver grow that really appeals to kids because they can see it and hold it. Money in the bank is good too, but it doesn't have the same teaching effect about saving, which I think is the point you're trying to teach.
    Now they are both out of college and working and they still talk about it.

Silver Backed and searcher like this.
  8. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

I did the same, good for you.

As guys stated above, teaching them well and while young, will help them immensely longer term.

I would add, make it fun though.

With mine, as grades came in, the 'Silver Man' would show up, mining hat, sunglasses, dressed as he just came out of the field. They would be presented their silver and have the opportunity to add to their stash voluntarily. Then the 'Silver Man' would disappear until the next grade period.

Silver Backed and Someone_else like this.
  9. ToBeSelfEvident

ToBeSelfEvident Gold Member Gold Chaser

I think it's a great idea. It gives them a taste of practical thinking about the future. It encourages math, converting weights to dollars, adding grams with ounces, etc. And it's harder to spend it on video games or other ephemeral wants. When they do cash in their stack it will be for something important.

Silver Backed likes this.
  10. Silver Backed

Silver Backed New Member

I have been thinking about that some. I decided not to show the youngest my stack/collection any more until he is older and can control his mouth a little better. Children do tend to talk a lot. He has told people exactly what his mother and father think of them a few times. We were not too happy about that!

11. Silver Backed

Silver Backed New Member

I agree with you that holding money in your hand is a lot more motivating than a statement from the bank. Good advice. Thanks!

12. Silver Backed

Silver Backed New Member

I do have a gold pan or three since I lived in Alaska for a while.

13. Silver Backed

Silver Backed New Member

Good point, and I get the feeling they don't get a lot of training in practical thinking at school these days.