1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Silver for Survival Purposes

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by Texian, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Texian

Texian New Member

Is there any conventional wisdom about how many ounces of silver to keep on hand for survival reasons these days?

2. Thecrensh

Thecrensh Gold Member Gold Chaser

All of them.

Honestly, I've been wondering about the viability and wisdom of PMs in an emergency situation. So many people have no clue what gold/silver do and mean, that it makes me wonder whether or not having some on hand isn't just a waste of capital.

phoneman and gringott like this.
  3. Silver

Silver Gold Member Gold Chaser

Silver, like gold, is protection from devaluation, but not necessarily during an emergency - $$$$ are best for most transactions during an emergency.

phoneman, gringott, Alton and 5 others like this.
  4. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

In an out right life or death survival situation I don't think PM's would be of much value unless you were trying to use it to buy your way out of a bad situation and then you run the risk of having it taken from you.

Most people are not going to be willing to part with life sustaining supplies / materials for metals or coins that are not legal tender.

Just my opinion but I believe you're far better off having water, food (a way to cook it), normal day to day supplies, fuel, alternative power, a way to defend yourself, a well maintained vehicle and cash than anything else in a survival situation. And don't forget good neighbors and friends you can count 0n.

phoneman, Alton, Son of Gloin and 4 others like this.
  5. Texian

Texian New Member

Interesting responses. Until today, I had not posted in GIM2. My last post would have been in the original GIM over 6 or 7 years ago under a different handle. Old name did not transfer to GIM2 for some reason and I quit posting and lurking.

After 2008, there was a worry about a collapse of our currency and that gold and silver would be used again because it is real money. It is in that context I asked my question. At least to my knowledge, no one ever thought of silver as a short term currency for disasters or emergencies. Now, I don't know if people even think using silver as a main for of currency any more.

phoneman, gringott, Alton and 2 others like this.
  6. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

Welcome back ! As you should know, a lot of us here want PM's for a hedge against inflation or a devaluation.
    There are other advantages/reasons, but most of us do not talk about them.

7. Merlin

Merlin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

You should have precious metals to help preserve your wealth to the other side of the economic catastrophe. If 90% silver coins prove to be useful during the SHTF, that's fine. But, I'm not storing PMs for that purpose; for me, gold and silver will preserve my wealth through hard times. I hope :)

phoneman, gringott, Alton and 5 others like this.
  8. Thecrensh

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic with my earlier response. In 1900, it was probably good practice to have spare wagon wheels around the homestead...or at least the tools and skillset to repair a wagon wheel. The Automobile kinda took that skillset and need and pushed it off a cliff so that by 1950, nobody had a wagon, tools or skills to repair one. That's kind of like PMs today...so many people do everything with their smartphone that they have no idea what gold/silver means. Probably a side-effect or by products of the FRB system.

Alton likes this.
  9. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

I would suppose if you had enough silver you could become the neighborhood bank. (I'm not talking tons of it, just 3 or 4 hundred pounds)
    Think about that statement for a bit; neighborhood bank. Think about how you would arrange it and how it could benefit you and your neighbors.
    Think outside the box, so to speak.

BF

10. Thecrensh

I've thought about that very same concept. Interesting. Why would you need 3 or 4 hundred pounds?

11. Bottom Feeder

Think of it like you would starting a business; if you start on a shoestring you will fail on a shoestring.
    In the beginning it will not pay off — silver will disappear. But eventually your strategy should prevail (if thought through sufficiently).

BF

12. Texian

Texian New Member

Three or four hundred pounds? I very much wish. At today's spot, that would be $85,296 to $113,728.

Bottom Feeder likes this.
  13. Bottom Feeder

If you're going to be the neighborhood bank, yes. But as to your original post:
    Depends on how much you weigh :D:D
    I've always been of the opinion that you should have your weight in silver put aside.

BF

14. Aurumag

Aurumag Dimly lit. Highly reflective Midas Member Site Supporter

Lightwave Jockey
    Silver can be used to purify water, keep milk fresh and treat burns.

So in a survival situation it is VERY valuable.

As money for barter? In the case of a lack of cash, then it might be popular...

gringott and TAEZZAR like this.
  15. Weatherman

Weatherman In GIM since 2006 Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Silver could have been useful in Zimbabwe too, even though there was lots of cash available.

7782f-zimbabwe-cash-inflation.jpg

Son of Gloin likes this.
  16. Thecrensh

how do you purify water and keep milk fresh with silver?

17. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

I wonder if anyone in Venezuela is using silver? If so you know the value has held for them against the fiat.
    I wonder if we are all talking about a "hedge" if cyrpto coins might be another option to think about adding a little of?

Alton likes this.
  18. smilershouse

smilershouse Gold Member Gold Chaser

I am surprised by your post, Thecrensh.

CS, or colloidal silver suffocates the enzyme that many of our pathogens rely on to survive. Killing these pathogens will in effect, purify the water for human consumption as well as keep the bacteria at bay that causes milk to sour. Staying on topic, those same owners of wagons placed a silver coin in the milk urn precisely for this reason.

I have a lot of bottles of well made 300ppm CS as a store of value. In short, CS will kill every harmful bacteria. Not virus so much as these are intracellular and are buggers to get rid off if one's immune system is compromised. People will part with their house and/or other assets for a cure to live longer. I know this to be true. In fact, a neighbor who has a personal dislike to what excessive DHT is doing to his balding has actually remortgaged $30000 for a hair transplant.

How much more is saving a loved one's life worth, from deadly bacteria?

SH

searcher, gringott and TAEZZAR like this.
  19. Bottom Feeder

A few days ago someone posted a question about tenth ounce AGMs. If you're going to be the neighborhood bank you better have ten or twenty ounces of these on hand as well for people who want to exchange their silver.
    If yer gonna be a banker be a filthy rich one :p:p

BF

20. Thecrensh

Was just clarifying on the steps...didn't know if you meant drops of CS in the water/milk or just doing as you stated and dropping a slab into the bottle. I have CS and use it btw...would like to get into making it, but not so motivated as of yet.

21. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    This stuff isnt rocket science.....short term disasters cash will always be king.....currency collapse physical commdities will rule.....problem is its hard to store and maintain large quantities and values of the most needed commodities like food...thats where pms come in lotta transportable storeable value in small space....

gringott and Thecrensh like this.
  22. Scald

Scald Tungsten collector Silver Miner

Shepard
    My favorite metals to keep on hand for survival situations: Brass and Lead

23. Agavegirl1

Agavegirl1 Silver Miner Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

You will not believe me if I told you.
    I hadn't thought of that.

24. smilershouse

Get into it crensh .

A CS generator is very cheap and CS is so easy to make. I use the stuff on the family all the time. Both for treatment and prophylactic purposes. Ingest or place into a spray bottle. Got a nasal infection? Simply spray up nostrils like any other nasal treatment. Got broken skin that looks a bit dodgy? Spray same or place on warm wet cloth and compress. UTI? Fixed in 24-48hrs. CS will literally flush every harmful 'bacterial' pathogen from the system. Word has it, that CS will leave healthy gut bacteria in tact. However I am still looking to see if this is truism or not.

SH

Thecrensh likes this.
  25. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    :) ....fractional lending ....i think i could be a banker

gringott likes this.
  26. edsl48

edsl48 Silver Member Silver Miner

I read this and thought it might in well here. I did not realize that Libertads were so versital

http://plata.com.mx/Mplata/articulos/articlesFilt.asp?fiidarticulo=319

A Primer on the Mexican 'Libertad' Silver Ounce as a Vehicle for Savings of the Common Folk

Hugo Salinas Price
    Who created the Mexican silver peso known as the "0.720 Peso"? President of Mexico Venustiano Carranza.

When did minting of this coin begin? In 1920.

Why was it known as the "0.720 Peso"? Because its silver content was 72% of its weight.

What was the silver content of the "0.720 Peso"? The pure silver content of the "0.720 Peso" was 12 grams.

What was the value of the silver in the "0.720 Peso" in 1920? In 1920, 12 grams of silver were worth 52 Mexican cents.

For how many years was the "0.720 Peso" in circulation? It circulated for 25 years, until 1945.

During those 25 years, was the silver in the "0.720 Peso" ever worth less than 52 centavos? Yes; in 1931, 12 grams of silver were worth only 31 centavos, but the public using the coin took no notice of this fact.

Why did the "0.720 Peso" go out of circulation in 1945? It went out of circulation because after World War II, the international price of silver rose and thus the silver in the "0.720 Peso" was worth more than one Peso. Minting more silver Pesos became a loss-making business for the Mexican Mint, so minting ceased.

What became of the "0.720 Peso" coins when they went out of circulation? Most of the coins were sent to a refinery so that their silver could be sold at a profit on the international markets, as happened to the US silver coinage in the 1960's, but some were saved by Mexican savers, and can still be purchased in downtown Mexico City.

Were other silver Peso coins minted, after the "0.720 Peso" went out of circulation? Yes, three different silver one-Peso coins were offered to the public after 1945: In 1947-1949, a silver one-Peso coin was minted with 7 grams of silver; in 1950-1954, a silver one-Peso coin was minted with 4 grams of silver; in 1957-1967, the last one-Peso coin with silver was minted, and it contained only 1.6 grams of silver.

What happened to all these coins? They all suffered the same fate as the "0.720 Peso": they were sent to the refinery, because the value of the silver they contained became worth more than one Peso.

What took the place of the "0.720 Peso" when it went out of circulation? It was replaced with a paper "One Peso" note, whose cost of production was next to nothing. As inflation of the stock of money in circulation advanced, coins of One Peso became quite unimportant, in spite of the inclusion of some silver in the Peso coins of the Fifties and Sixties.

Paper money record: In 1925, $2.03 Mexican Pesos bought $1.00 Dollar. In 2017, it costs $17,600 Pesos to purchase $1.00 Dollar. (Three zeros were wiped off the Peso in 1993, in a cosmetic measure to make it look better; thus the "Official Exchange Rate" is $17.60 "new" Pesos to $1.00 Dollar at this writing.)

This does not take into account the depreciation of the US Dollar itself, which is now worth something like 3cents of its value in 1920.

CONCLUSIONS

1.- It is impossible to mint silver coins for stable popular savings, if they bear a stamped monetary value, because the value of silver fluctuates with a tendency to rise, and thus any stamped value on a silver coin will always be surpassed by the rising value of the silver in the coin.

2.- Mexico can recover silver coinage as a vehicle for popular savings, if the silver coin does not have a stamped value, but rather an official quoted value which can be raised as rises in the value of silver take place.

3.- The "Libertad" pure silver one-ounce coin is already Legal Tender in Mexico. Its value fluctuates with a tendency to rise with the silver market. If it were given an official monetary quote, it would turn into an ideal vehicle for popular savings and would never go out of circulation. (More that 60% of the Mexican population have no savings for their retirement.)

4.- A silver coin with a quoted official monetary value would be a great vehicle for popular savings, but due to the fact that its monetary value would always be for a larger amount of Pesos, and never for a lesser amount, the "Libertad" pure silver one-ounce coin would never be able to substitute the present monetary system of Mexico, which will endure such as it is today.

27. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    I see silver as a vehicle for transporting saved wealth over time, and I see gold the same way.
    Currently we have fiat, I would venture to say the majority of it digital. Look at all the restrictions on physical fiat.
    If nothing ever changes, PMs will generally continue to be valued at their commodity [industrial use] prices.
    If financial disaster strikes, globally, all bets are off. It took over 100 years to brain wash the public to the point they are now as to FedResNotes, it could take a week to wipe that out given the right [wrong] circumstances.
    Survival? Short term I need zero silver. Long term? Could be the difference between have and have not.

28. Alton

Alton Gold Member Gold Chaser

Emergency = panic mode for lots of people. Using that lump on their shoulders to compute and track the day-to-day value of silver or gold is more than their lump can handle. The dollar is a "known quantity", so they think, and more importantly it is a mental lifeline representing a form of stability. Everybody is at least somewhat aware of what a dollar's value is and therefore what it could or should be able to purchase. Of course, this will change over time as goods become scarce and other changes are forced on people by circumstance. Nevertheless the dollar will be the basis point from those changes will unfold.

Silver and gold will remain a store of wealth so your wealth will be generally protected as society navigates it's way through many crises.

The player in here is the cryptocurrency. These already have value and will, over time, greatly increase in value. More and more ways to exchange these cryptocurrencies for commodities, currencies, goods and services are popping all over everyday now. Their ONLY real weakness is their ability to be used/accessed is the availability of electricity and a network connection. You could have a million bitcoin but with power and a network connection they are worthless to you and anyoe else because YOU cannot access them. Due o this weakness the utility of any cryptocurrency in an emergency situation is quite sketchy. If cell towers are taken out by hurricanes, tornadoes, solar CMEs or the local nuclear power plant going kablooey, well those cryptos won't be doing anything for you. In "normal times" they are outstanding!

So it's probably best to keep your wealth in 3 forms...PMs/the reigning currency for your country/cryptocurrencies. PMs for storing your wealth, local currency and cryptos for your financial activities. This way if the local currency fails you can fall back on your cryptos. You can also use your cryptos against the vicissitudes of central bankers and governments.

Thecrensh likes this.
  29. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    I got out of my hobby cryptos once the IRS took an interest.
    End state, I don't see cryptos as any advantage once they are fully integrated into the financial system.
    The wild west in cryptos is soon to end, at least in the USA, IMHO.
    End state down the road? I believe bitcoin etc will have little or no advantage over digital FRNs.
    Trust me, they are working on it! Can't have sheep leaving the financial corral doncha know.

Uglytruth and Thecrensh like this.
  30. smilershouse

"Currently, we have fiat, I would venture to say the majority of it digital. Look at all the restrictions on physical fiat."

No moot point here. This is true. Fiat is now only accepted as honest money if, and only when, such goes through the digital cycle and through prying eyes . Any paper fiat is nowadays frowned upon, only because of the media ramp against 'suspicious' activity associated with the black economy. Or, as Jeff Bewick labels the "cash" black market, a euphemism for the free market. Without govt control and banking controls currently in place, Jeff has presented a moot point.

SH