1. Pretty quiet Monday for reports. Japan announces ready to do more to buy inflation as their numbers came in disappointing once again.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Monday Morning as we pass thru August this week. Gold is down 3.85 to 1322 while Silver is down 11 to 18.54. Oil is down 73 to 46.91. The USD is +6 to 95.61.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 8/27/16 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1322.60 DOWN 19.60-- Silver $18.65 DOWN 66-- Oil $47.64 DOWN 1.47--- USD $95.54 up 106 tics-- Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE $1392.14(1), SAE $21.84 (20)
  4. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

"Smart Rifle" Can Hit Targets At 1000 Yards- Cost $27,500

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by newmisty, Jun 13, 2013.

1. newmisty

newmisty Duppy Conqueror Midas Member

$27,500 Gun Hits Targets at 1,000 Yards

a0507a36-0049-415f-befb-f0ecb9d7a34d_Sam-Texas-Tracking-Point-079-2-.JPG
    AUSTIN, Texas — A new company in Texas is selling a precision rifle with a unique technology that allows even an inexperienced shooter to hit a target 10 football fields away. The price tag is a staggering $27,500.

Tracking Point describes the weapon as a smartgun, with a trigger wired to the scope so that the gun won't fire until it's locked on the target that's been tagged.

"There are a number of people who say the gun shoots itself," said Chief Executive Officer Jason Schauble, a former Marine captain who was wounded in Iraq. "It doesn't. The shooter is always in the loop."

The TrackingPoint rifles, which are Wi-Fi enabled and have a color display so users can post videos of their shots on Facebook or YouTube, started shipping in May. Schauble said his company is on track to sell as many as 500 of them this year, to clients that he describes as "high net worth hunters" who want to kill big game at long range.

TrackingPoint claims that the gun took down a South African wildebeest at 1,103 yards, a company record.

The company also has a deal to sell about 1,000 of the guns to Remington, which is Schauble's former employer. But the Remington model will be less expensive, running about $5,000 each. TrackingPoint's total sales for the year are expected to be about $10 million.

Lifelong hunter and construction executive Bob Ellis is one client who raves about the rifle. "I have not shot anything like it ever," he said in an email to CNNMoney. "The distance and accuracy of the rifle is a big WOW!"

Founder and chairman John McHale is a serial entrepreneur who's started several companies that were ultimately sold to Cisco (CSCO), 3Com and Compaq, which was later bought by HP (HPQ). Early in his career he worked on weapons accuracy systems for tanks. The idea for TrackingPoint came to McHale while he was on African safari and frustrated by his inability to shoot a gazelle at 300 yards.

Schauble is well aware of the damage that guns can do. His right hand is partially paralyzed after he was shot with an AK-47 during combat in Iraq. He wears black "kill bracelets" commemorating dead friends. He admitted that TrackingPoint's technology is "controversial."

Government agencies contacted the company last year for a demonstration of the weapon at a shooting range at the Quantico Marine Corps Base in Virginia. But Schauble says that the Department of Homeland Security didn't express any concerns that TrackingPoint's weapon is more of a threat than existing firearm systems.

The FBI, Homeland Security and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives all declined to comment to CNNMoney.

But the weapon has some "scary implications from a security perspective," said Rommel Dionisio, a gun industry analyst for Wedbush Securities.

"There are a handful of snipers who can hit a target at 1,000 yards. But now, anybody can do it," he said. "You can put some tremendous capability in the hands of just about anybody, even an untrained shooter."

Indeed, novice shooters from CNNMoney tried the gun and did hit targets 1,000 yards away.

What sets the TrackingPoint rifle apart is its high-tech electronic scope that automatically accounts for distance, gravity, wind speed, humidity, the rotation of the Earth and other variables that can influence whether a bullet hits its target.

The TrackingPoint scope allows the shooter to "tag" a target by placing a red dot on it within the crosshairs. Even when the safety is off and the shooter's finger pulls the trigger, the rifle will only fire when the crosshairs are locked on the red dot, making it relatively easy for even an inexperienced shooter to hit a target at long range.

Tracking Point charges from $22,500 to $27,500 for the different versions of its bolt-action rifle, which has a five-round magazine using .300 or .338 caliber ammunition.

Schauble hopes to land a contract with the U.S. military. He said that American soldiers could benefit not only from the long-range accuracy, but also the rifle's Wi-fi communications features.

"From a patriotic standpoint and as a veteran, I would love every soldier to be better armed today, and this technology could get them there," he said.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/-27-500-gun-hits-targets-at-1-000-yards-180751722.html

2. honu5050

honu5050 Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

nunya
    cant see the nearly 30 G cost . but wtf !:fisheye:

3. mispillion

mispillion Seeker Seeker

colbert's take on the gun
    [video=youtube_share;2Ptxw_R7NQg]http://youtu.be/2Ptxw_R7NQg[/video]

Zed likes this.
  4. Zed

Zed Kangarude! Midas Member

Watching screens.. :-)
    U kidding, that is one decent paying hit. :vollkommenauf:

Oh jeeeeeezzz, who'd want to be a politician with these things floating around... U know, if things, by some chance, went bad :ahhhhh:

5. samwiii

samwiii Gold Member Gold Chaser

In a related story, the DHS and USDA have each ordered a billion rounds of .300 and .338 ammo to take advantage of "pricing discounts".

6. TomD

TomD It blowed up, y'all Gold Chaser

construction, engineering
    I can consistently hit smaller than person sized targets at 1000 yards for considerably less than $27,000 (assuming the wind is playing nice). It ain't cheap though, this rig runs over $5K, including optics.

[​IMG]

7. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Nice rig, Tom, what caliber and barrel twist is it? What scope?

8. TomD

That's a friends rifle, I showed it because it's much prettier than mine. It's 300 WSM (Winchester short mag), 10 twist, Krieger barrel. I forget what scope except that it's rare and extremely expensive. I use Nightforce and March scopes.

By the way, a rifle that will automatically hit every time at 1000 is BS. Maybe in no wind and no mirage conditions but no way in hell is a scope going to call the wind. Just a 5 MPH cross wind at 1000 will push the bullet 4-5 feet and if you have a hard mirage running, forget it.

southfork likes this.
  9. Turner-son

Turner-son Silver Member Silver Miner

Wouldn't the $27.5k weapon only be good for stationary targets? If a target was moving, how would it compensate? Wouldn't the inability to actually fire unless "locked on" be a hindrance?

10. LarsonLarsen

LarsonLarsen Seeker Seeker

Master of ceremonies

Yeah but when you do hit something you can post it to Youtube and Facebook!

11. honu5050

nunya
    its not the weapon costs its the tracking mechanisms .

12. Fanakapan

Fanakapan Midas Member Midas Member

Ha, there must be some mug's about. Back in the Day, before the British Army got equipped with a .22 Hornet toy for a rifle, and when shooting was still called Musketry, shooting out to 1000 Yards was commonplace :)

I hear such things were even possible with the FN self loading rifle :eek:

I suspect the US Army were doing similar things before they got issued with plastic toy rifle's :)

13. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser

Bingo! This is every politicians nightmare. At 1,000 yards countermeasures are useless. In fact, depending upon the terrain the rifle report may not even reach the target making ballistic tracking/directional software useless.

14. Alric

Alric Midas Member Midas Member

Why couldn't the scope factor in the wind? Assuming you input all the variables there isn't any reason you couldn't factor the exact trajectory needed to hit a target. As long as it factors things faster than conditions change, it should work fine. I suppose it might have trouble if you are shooting into a storm and there is erratic wind gusts all over.

15. Zed

Great... OK, ya see there is this guy, he heads up a place up in North America and if you could... errrrrr.... um... I will email you the arrangements. :bear_tongue:

16. Gcubed

Gcubed Banned

meh

17. Zed

Oh yeah... that reminds me, while you are at it there is a cranky old gold dealer down near Mexico that has it coming... :cheerful:

18. Gcubed

Gcubed Banned

double meh

19. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    That's the government's cost. Like $400 hammers...

Gcubed likes this.
  20. TomD

I can tell you haven't tried this.

21. honu5050

nunya
    is their a golf pro in the house ? :viking:

22. Alric

Tried the 25k rifle? No I have not tried it. If you mean shooting targets 1000 yards in heavy wind, no I have not tried that either but that doesn't really matter. The entire point of having a computerized sight that can track half a dozen variables is that it makes calculations that are hard and time consuming for humans, fast and simple. The fact that the math is hard for humans is pretty irreverent, since a human isn't doing the math.

I don't know how good this rifle is, since like I said I hadn't tested it. However as long as it accurately tracks all the variable it should be able to do what it says. The bullet's path is based on math after all, it isn't random or magic.

23. TomD

Okay. So how are you to load all the variables into the scope? Wind velocity at various altitudes and distances, density altitude, mirage intensity and direction, target direction and velocity in three dimensions, probability of motion being linear and consistent, precise ballistic characteristics of the particular load and bullet combo that is currently chambered, target inter reaction to surrounding obstacles?

Sorta like driving a bus through city traffic, the computer required exists currently in only one context, the human brain. You think it's a lot simpler than it is and reducible to a few easily defined parameters. It's not.

24. Alric

We have self driving cars that can drive flawlessly through city traffic. I don't believe they have tested it on a bus yet but I would think it is pretty similar to other cars. It might be complex for humans but not for computers. Computers are far superior to humans in the area of math, and finding the trajectory a bullet will take to hit a target is just pure math.

25. Silverbach

Silverbach Silver Member Silver Miner

That's BS. Being able to aim precisely is one thing. But shooting a bullet precisely is another thing.

After you aim precisely and after the bullet leaves the gun, there are so many un-predictable things to deviate it: air density, side winds etc. It probably take the bullet one second to travel the distance of 1000 yard. Within the one second, the target would have noticed the flash of the gun and take evasive actions to get away from the path of the bullet, maybe get away for as much as 2 or 3 meters.

More over, if there is sideway wind blowing at 10 meters per second, within one second time it is enough to push the bullet sideway for 10 meters, totally missing the target.

Remember if the target is a person, missing by just 20 centimeter would have been a total miss.

TomD and Fanakapan like this.
  26. Alric

Their claim is that it can track all that stuff, and they had total novices hitting targets at that range which seems to suggest that they actually can.

27. Fanakapan

Fanakapan Midas Member Midas Member

Alric, my old china, the marketing of Crock's has reached quite an advanced level these days. And in the USA, the reluctance to fund consumer protection, along with the size of the place, means that it is possible to sell all sorts of rubbish, and be safely away with the money before any problems such as Fraud become a possibility.

The fitness market is maybe one of the most advanced when it comes to Bogus claims :)

28. Alric

There is no doubt about that, and since I never tried the rifle before I can't say their claims are true. Their claims are pretty pleasurable though. I know they got the technology to do all this stuff already, it is just a matter of if they can fit everything into the scope, and with how advanced we got in shrinking things down, that is also pretty believable.