1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

soap

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by pitw, Dec 4, 2016.

1. pitw

pitw Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Custom pesticide applicator.
    I don't always do the stuff that can be done to save money but I damb sure watch how it can be done. I was up to the colony earlier this fall[kid lost me camera card for a spell ] and the women were making soap for washing clothes and cleaning the kitchen. These folk do not like cameras but as I was there to pay a fellow for something he did for me and I have known the colony my whole life they allowed me to take some pics. No less than 4 elders came over to check me out in the two hours I spent with the women while waiting for Moses to show up. Normally the women never talk to us outsiders but all these women finally warmed up and I think I learned as much from them in two hours as I do from 2 years with the men.
    They do this soap making once a year or maybe 2 years as they use all the chicken fat, pig scraps, beef tallow and it looked like most anything an animal may have had. There were more than a few bones I saw put into this batch.
    The morning started at 5am for a couple of them as they started the fire to cook up the soap in this.
    [​IMG]

The goop looked like this and later it kinda/sorta foamed up right to the top before being allowed to cool a bit before being poured into the cake makers.
    [​IMG]

Some of the ingredients.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The lye came in pails
    [​IMG]

The cakes of soap after cutting and bagging were placed in a granery for a year or so and then ran through a feed shredder to make flakes[kinda/sorta]. the tables in back held the containment units for the hot soap to be cooled down.
    [​IMG]

The only pic I will show of the women as I don't want to irritate them.
    [​IMG]

They made 5 batch's a day and each batch took about 2.5 hours to cook.
    [​IMG]

searcher, Bushpilot, mayhem and 7 others like this.
  2. stonedywankanobe

stonedywankanobe Gold Member Gold Chaser

Well my goodness. I did not know soap was made of such a macabre brew of undesirables.

I'm wondering about the smell while stewing and the finished product.
    Thinking I'll stick with Old Spyce.

3. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

Tell us more about "the colony".
    Not sure what that means.

4. ErrosionOfAccord

ErrosionOfAccord #1 Global Warmer Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Energy Extraction
    Clothing, foliage, dirt and lay of the land suggest Hooterite. If I'm right I expect an ounce for winning.

D-FENZ likes this.
  5. pitw

Hutterite they be. If you think I'm backasswards you should meet this bunch. They live in colony's like ants and should split when they get to a certain number of people. These guys are way past splitting size but their ex boss didn't do them any favors in the money department.

searcher and glockngold like this.
  6. ErrosionOfAccord

Energy Extraction
    Where do I pick up my ounce of gold?

7. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired
    Who said anything about gold...? :finished:

They even have their own website!

http://www.hutterites.org/

searcher and glockngold like this.
  8. ErrosionOfAccord

Energy Extraction
    Hey Pitw, What's the male to female ratio look like on the plantations? I see them around town now and again but have never actually been on one of the communes. I've even heard rumors that they bring strangers in to reduce inbreeding among husbands and wives who are related. Always wondered if the rumors are bunch of clap trap.

9. D-FENZ

D-FENZ Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Hooterites? Nope. Barely the same species.

[​IMG]

Hooterite might even be a mineral.

You get nothing. You lose.
    Good day sir.

pitw and ErrosionOfAccord like this.
  10. pitw

I'd say 50/50 just like a pen of calves off a herd of cows. The rumors are true in some cases I'm positive as the inbreeding certainly rears it's ugly head. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that a buddy of mine who lives closer to the colony can call at least one of them his brother.LOL Every colony has it's own administration so they all run a bit different. Some are very progressive while others are not. They try to get the younguns to marry off to other colony's and I often feel sorry for the girls who come to this one.
    There is a fellowwho works in the shop at this colony who Hollywood would love to have to play the horrible ogre. He has an IQ of around 10 and is so strong it's scary. These folk go to school until 15 and then it's full time work and a neighbor lady used to teach at a colony. She swore they tried to knock everything she taught out of their heads before the next day.
    Polite they know as I've ate at more than a few colony's as they always invite me to come sit with the men. Hard work they know.

searcher likes this.
  11. pitw

I'd say 50/50 just like a pen of calves off a herd of cows. The rumors are true in some cases I'm positive as the inbreeding certainly rears it's ugly head. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that a buddy of mine who lives closer to the colony can call at least one of them his brother.LOL Every colony has it's own administration so they all run a bit different. Some are very progressive while others are not. They try to get the younguns to marry off to other colony's and I often feel sorry for the girls who come to this one.
    There is a fellowwho works in the shop at this colony who Hollywood would love to have to play the horrible ogre. He has an IQ of around 10 and is so strong it's scary. These folk go to school until 15 and then it's full time work and a neighbor lady used to teach at a colony. She swore they tried to knock everything she taught out of their heads before the next day.
    Polite they know as I've ate at more than a few colony's as they always invite me to come sit with the men. Hard work they know.

12. Agavegirl1

Agavegirl1 Silver Miner Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

You will not believe me if I told you.
    Fascinating!

13. coopersmith

coopersmith for fuck sake.......... Silver Miner

What do they use that big I beam and pipe thing for?

14. pitw

That was/is for doing hogs and other large animals at butchering time. These folk can live with little from a store.