1. Stocks soar, Metals get hammered
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Monday morning takedown. Gold is down 12.8 to 1243 while Silver is down 17 to 1647. Crude is up 20 to 4321. The USD is up 15 to 97.09
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Toyota Dumps Prius As Sales Collapse

Discussion in 'Coffee Shack (Daily News/Economy)' started by JayDubya, Jul 3, 2016.

1. JayDubya

JayDubya Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Toyota Dumps Prius As Sales Collapse

http://247wallst.com/autos/2016/07/03/toyota-dumps-prius-as-sales-collapse/?yptr=yahoo

Hybrid and electric cars were the rage when gas prices where high. The grandfather of the category has been the Toyota (NYSE: TM) which recently fell on very hard times. Sales of the hybrid were off 26.7% to 11,027 in June and 25.2% to 67,405 for the first six months. Incentives on the Pruis have dropped to .9% for 72 months.

The Prius first came off the production line in 1997. Toyota has sold 3.7 million worldwide since then. Recently sales have been challenged by an army of other hybrids and the new found attraction of all electric cars like the Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) Model 3 which will be priced at $35,000 before government incentives, that could be several thousands of dollars more. That will bring the car to about the same price level as a well-outfitted Prius. Granted, the Tesla will not be available until 2017, but the company has several hundred thousands of orders.

Virtually every large global manufacturer has one or more hybrid models. This was not the case when the Prius first hit the market. Even Toyota current has hybrid and FCV (fuel cell vehicle) of its Camry, Avalon, RAV4, Highlander, and Marai models. In a sense, Toyota competes against the Prius.

Honda (NYSE: HMC) has seven hybrid and FCV vehicles. Ford’s (NYSE: F) flagship division have five.

All of the major manufacturers have started work on electric vehicles which will put pressure on hybrid sales. The most visible of these from U.S. manufactures is GM’s (NYSE: GM) Chevy Bolt which America’s large car company says will outsell Tesla models by a mile

The Prius is lost, virtually, in an ocean of new competition. And, there is not evidence that the ancient hybrid can battle its way back into the lead it once held. The flood of competition is too great, and being first to market no longer has any value.

Thecrensh likes this.
  2. REO 54

REO 54 Midas Member Midas Member

To bad. They make a convenient chock block on a hill when I park Ma Deuce!

3. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    Pulled the rug out from the liberal cunts....what are they going to do with all those Sheep For Hillary bumper stickers?

nickndfl likes this.
  4. Silver

Silver Gold Member Gold Chaser

We owned a Prius V (the biggest one) and were disappointed with the mileage (34 - 38). There was really no point in having a car with such poor performance if it didn't get super mileage - so we traded it in after 6 months for a MB GLK350. 302 hp and still gets 28 mpg, and the wife likes it much better. If we would have bought regular Prius that gets 50 mpg, we probably would have kept it.

I'm disappointed they are discontinuing the Prius because they are proven reliable, and for those of us that live very remote and have to drive long distances, it could come in handy when gas prices get up there again. Electric cars are going to have to get hundreds of miles per change for them to be of any use out here.

GOLDBRIX and Thecrensh like this.
  5. latemetal

latemetal Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

Unlike some people, I remember seeing this dance before thank you very much, around 2007-8 gas prices fell and Prius's became cheap and available,my mom bought a used one cheap. She was happy to have it when gas prices climbed back up to the sky...When prices fall...BUY.

gringott likes this.
  6. Aurumag

Aurumag Dimly lit. Highly reflective Midas Member Site Supporter

Indentured Wage Slave
    Toyota has some very serious recall issues to contend with:

June 28, 2016
    PLANO, Texas, June 28, 2016 – Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. today announced that it is conducting a safety recall of approximately 482,000 Model Year 2010 - 2012 Prius; 2010 and 2012 Prius Plug-In Hybrids and 2011 and 2012 Lexus CT 200h vehicles.

The involved vehicles are equipped with curtain shield air bags (CSA) in the driver and passenger side roof rails that have air bag inflators composed of two chambers welded together. Some inflators could have a small crack in the weld area joining the chambers, which could grow over time, and lead to the separation of the inflator chambers. This has been observed when the vehicle is parked and unoccupied for a period of time. If an inflator separates, the CSA could partially inflate, and, in limited circumstances, one or both sections of the inflator could enter the interior of the vehicle. If an occupant is present in the vehicle, there is an increased risk of injury.

link

7. latemetal

I followed my own advice and picked up a used Prius c cheap, as a hedge against gas prices sky rocketing now the election season is over...

8. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Has anyone ever seen the charging costs? They keep telling us they are cheap but I have never ran across any hard data. If that in a 70 deg climate driving 65 MPH or below freezing and trying to defrost the wind shield.

9. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

I get 36-40 MPG with my 2013 5 speed Ford Focus hatchback. It's a great car, fun to drive and parts are cheap.
    What pisses me off is Ford sells the same car in Europe with a clean diesel that gets 55 MPG.

If we're supposed to be using less fuel why can't we buy them here?

Uglytruth, GOLDBRIX and oldgaranddad like this.
  10. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

I think Toyota missed the boat as to marketing the vehicle. After the yuppies and metrosexual market dried up they should have regeared the focus to the survival utilitarian crowd and made adapters to the car as a rolling power plant for blackouts and camping. That would have given them at least 5 years more.

andial likes this.
  11. Fjpod

Fjpod Silver Member Silver Miner

Fake news

gringott likes this.
  12. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

Because it's not in the governments best interest to let you buy one here.

Irons likes this.
  13. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

My 1997 Saturn cost $12k and it got 40-42 MPG. Yes, I logged every mile and gallon. My 2002 Saturn cost $10K and got 38-40 MPG. They were well built cars, although I think the 2002 model was a frankenstein made with whatever parts were left on the shelves when they shut down.

14. Scald

Scald Tungsten collector Silver Miner

Shepard
    I've been driving a Ford Fusion hybrid. Cost me much less than a Prius, looks way nicer, performs a hundred times better, and I get 38mpg. Why anyone would buy an ugly, slow Prius is beyond me.

Irons likes this.
  15. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

BINGO!!! The states depend on fuel taxes, lots of them.
    Like drunk driving TPTB have zero interest in you using less fuel or not driving after drinking.
    Drunk driving could be abolished with a simple sensor in the vehicle. But then we would need less police. And lawyers. And courts.

Uglytruth and REO 54 like this.
  16. Fjpod

Fjpod Silver Member Silver Miner

I routinely get 50 to 60 mpg in my Prius. There is no such thing as a clean diesel. Just ask VW.

Aurumag likes this.
  17. latemetal

And plenty of Rethuglicans drive Prius's too, I have seen them with Trump stickers...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  18. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

I dont see the value in paying thousands more for an electric car, you still have to pay to charge it and I dont think the value is there when you figure in the cost of replacing batteries, you would have to drive a hell of a lot to try to make one economical.

Uglytruth likes this.
  19. Joe King

Joe King Gold Member Gold Chaser

Especially when one considers that pollution created by the modern car is but a drop in the bucket relative to other pollution sources. All it takes is a dozen big ships to pollute as much as all the cars in the World do, and there thousands upon thousands of those ships. If the govs of the World really wanted to reduce pollution, they'd impose emission standards on those ships and reduce pollution by orders of magnitude greater than any reduction they'll get by imposing strict standards on automobiles, but apparently it's much easier to collect fees from all the little people instead.
    ...and us little people don't have lobbyists lining the politicians pockets in order to keep 'em off our backs.

20. Ensoniq

Ensoniq Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Free Marketeer
    The new Tesla 3 is a way better deal at $35k

21. ToBeSelfEvident

ToBeSelfEvident Gold Member Gold Chaser

I agree. Somebody should make a hybrid or electric van or SUV with a giant battery suitable for long range travel or long duration car camping. And of course you could tap the big battery in a blackout to power your fridge, etc. I've seen several YouTube channels about living in a Prius, or sleeping in a Prius instead of a hotel when traveling. But it would be nice to see a vehicle designed for secure and comfortable sleeping. With solar panels on the roof you could "camp" for quite a while.