1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Tuna fishing at Charleston, Oregon

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing, Boating, HIking, Trapping' started by TAEZZAR, Aug 7, 2017.

1. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

Tuna (Albacore) fishing has been slow. Bad weather & boat shy fish have made for low fish counts. In spite of that, my boat has landed 59 albies so far, in 4 trips, well above the running average for the area. Trips are running 145/170 miles round trip & 12/14 hr. Days. The fish are running from 14 to 30 lbs. With a few touching on 35/40 lbs.

On the good side, the ocean has been extremely smooth for the days that we got out. Some days were quite foggy, requiring radar.

Coming home at 40 MPH

40 MPH ON OPEN OCEAN.JPG

Getting ice on board. The truck load was for 3 boats, about 350 lbs for each boat
    ICEING THE BOATS.JPG

A large ship in our fishing area, about 52 miles out.
    LARGE SHIP IN OUR FISHING AREA.JPG

Sunrise about 30 miles out
    SUNRISE 30 MILES OUT.jpg

Sunset, about 20 miles out
    SUNRISE AT 30 MILES OUT.jpg

Whale blowing, we saw several whales this day.
    WHALE.JPG

Crockett, D-FENZ, Pyramid and 12 others like this.
  2. BackwardsEngineeer

BackwardsEngineeer If I weren't a snowflake, I'd have no luck at all Silver Miner

Taez,
    How about some info on your boat? Electronics? Performance? Plus any non confidentail details on how you fish. This isn't THT, but us right coasters can always appreciate a good tuna story!

TAEZZAR and spinalcracker like this.
  3. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Check that catch with a Geiger counter.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  4. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Did you bring regular or low sodium soy sauce on board?

TAEZZAR likes this.
  5. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    SO big question here: Do you stay out or run out each day?

TAEZZAR likes this.
  6. latemetal

latemetal Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

Commercial or fun fishing?

TAEZZAR likes this.
  7. nickndfl

He has to stay out. Running in and out takes half the total time?

TAEZZAR and michael59 like this.
  8. spinalcracker

spinalcracker On a mail train. Silver Miner Site Supporter

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Thanks for sharing the photos.
    Now where's the fish?......(:
    I taught my boys to fish early on.....

image.jpg

Crockett, TAEZZAR, searcher and 3 others like this.
  9. michael59

20 years logging
    So, How much beer does a guy have to store in the hold? Oh, enough to get drank as the fish take up the space previously occupied. OH, come on! they are trucking in the ice....talk about a cold box.

not b'n mean at all.... just figuring how many cases to pack. ya know there is a pork chop in every can of that barley soup.

searcher and TAEZZAR like this.
  10. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

This is for fun only.
    Each trip is an individual day. We run back home each day, as you cannot trust the Oregon ocean.
    No secrets, I've been doing this for 55 years. I share all data. My boat is my 2nd Skipjack 25, I owned the very first one ever made. This is the first one, a 1978.
    SKIPPY AT PUERTO GATO..JPG
    OK, here is a one day catch for two of us on board.

IMG_1087 (Medium).JPG
    The present is a 1989. They came with Volvo diesels & I converted my latest one to outboards. I designed my own bracket & had a boat manufacturer build the bracket & install the engines, dual Yamaha 200 HP, 4 cylinder, 4 stroke.
    I get the same over all mileage with the new outboards as I did with the diesel, 2 MPG.
    I cruise at 35 to 40 MPH & my top speed is 51 MPH. Electronics are Simrad Evo 2, 12 inch screen, 24 mile radar, auto pilot with remote control. My fish finder is Simrad with an Airmar B175, 1KW, flush mount thru hull brass transducer, with high chirp technology. Yes, this a high tech. old hull, but it can take far more ocean than I can.
    We troll 7-9 knots using many different lures. One of the best is a stupid simple one called a Cedar Plug (AKA "broomstick") we also use Mexican flag, Zucchini, Mean Joe Green, Black/purple & many more. I troll 5 at a time in a "V" pattern.
    ALBIES July 2001(Small).jpg

IMG_0127 (Medium).JPG
    No fear, these tuna are clean & the shashimi is delish !!

Mikey 59, you won't like my rules. No alcohol, No smoking- but have fun & catch fish !!!

BTW, I try to head gaff only, we bleed them & gut & gill within 20 minutes of the catch & pack in ice.

This tuna is first class.

Crockett, D-FENZ, Hystckndle and 8 others like this.
  11. BackwardsEngineeer

BackwardsEngineeer If I weren't a snowflake, I'd have no luck at all Silver Miner

Taezzer,
    Now that was a proper write up! (my best goldduck)

:dancing guy:dancing guy:dancing guy:dancing guy:dancing guy:dancing guy

Have considered converting an inboard and have always wondered how the hull handles before and after in different seas? Of course the longest argument in the fishing planet, did you notice a difference in production inboard vs. outboard?

Right on board with your no smoking/drinking policies, off shore you just never have any idea what the day will bring. This year fishing off Quepos, we had a dead calm day, literally six inch roll terribly stinking hot, when out of the blue a 15 to 20 footer just rolled on in. Fortunately, the captain saw it and adjusted because we were trolling parallel to it and it would have rolled that 28 for sure. No idea why they happen but they do!

searcher, TAEZZAR and spinalcracker like this.
  12. spinalcracker

spinalcracker On a mail train. Silver Miner Site Supporter

CEMENT MASON LOCAL 690
    Nice catch Taezzar! I will take my little stringer of bait and go home now...
    Just curious , what other species of fish do you catch , any halibut or salmon?..

13. michael59

20 years logging
    Last time I was out on the Ocean was 37 years ago but then I don't live on the coast now. yeah that boat was a 28foot Lancer; the primary sheets though were attached to a 14foot sunfish. Sure loved that little boat, used to go out and watch the wales migrate back to Mexico. Twas nothing better than having the little cockpit full of beer and bait. What is that saying from "Suspicious Observer" that Searcher likes to post....? Oh yeah-No Fear.

14. TAEZZAR

Sneaker waves are not that uncommon, they are nasty. I watched one damned near sink a boat that was not paying attention. Never turn your back on the ocean !!

I grew up with outboards, & my first 3 boats were out boards, so the conversion was not a problem for me. The conversion is one of my best accomplishments.

Here is how we tied the bracket into the old diesel engine stringers.
    27 MAY 2014 sm..JPG

Rear view
    29 MAY 2014.9 (Medium).JPG
    Side view
    29 MAY 2014.12 (Medium).JPG
    Prefitting the bracket prior to powdercoating it.
    20140426_110803sm.jpg
    The brack in the raw.
    20140427_105433sm .jpg

The handling is stellar, the accelleration is wonderful. Zero to full plane in 5 seconds, zero to 50 in 8 seconds. When trimmed peoperly, it rides flat & smooth. The boat will also stop faster than you can believe. BTW, the boat with full fuel & 3 people on board weighs in at 9,000 lbs. The only caution is turning at high speed, over 35 MPH, I turn wide.

If you want tp PM me with your boat data, I can help you decide on the repower.

BTW, I tried an aluminum boat in Oregon, as they are very popular. It scared the hell out of me. They are NOT my kind of ocean boat. They are way too shallow & the bow is a bath tub, waiting to fill with ocean !!!

IMG_0001 (Small).jpg

We get salmon, halibut, rock cod, ling cod, cabezon & dungeness crab.
    The rules are complicated & authority for the sake of authority( in my opinion) halibut fishing is so over regulated that I don't bother with it, Salmon fishing is close to it too, but I will salmon fish when they are hot.

Nice Cabezon.JPG

a nice catch (Medium).JPG Black rock cod.JPG Small but legal ling cod (Medium).JPG

38 lb salmon, accidenitally caught while jigging for ling cod !!! LOLOLOL
    Copy of #2..(Small).JPG

Crockett, D-FENZ, Hystckndle and 7 others like this.
  15. BackwardsEngineeer

Taezzer,
    Man that mounting and bracket are a work of art, great job. So I'm guessing those 200's weigh around 550#'s each, and look to be overhung around 20" did that cause much of an issue on your weight distribution or did you shift your fuel, water or cooler to accommodate? Averaging 2 mpg and hitting 51 WOT with an outfitted 9000#'s is really great, you must have found the sweet spot!

TAEZZAR likes this.
  16. nickndfl

I stand corrected on the day trips. If it was Florida and I had that boat and time you would see me return to port on the weekends.

I took my step-sons and wife out last weekend on a drift boat off Stuart, FL. The kids got bored because they are not real fishermen. I grew up on a lake in Florida and have been fishing for over 40 years. I caught 4 Florida sea bass and 1 amberjack. The boat was too crowded, but one guy got a nice sailfish and another got a cobia. There were several others too and no sharks.

I don't have any pics, but the kids love fresh fish. Who doesn't?

TAEZZAR and searcher like this.
  17. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

I nominate this Thread Of The Month.

18. TAEZZAR

Thank you, BE. I worked on the design for a couple of months. I started by analysing a friends boat bracket that was really bad. It pulled the back of his boat into the ocean to the point of his engines running 1/2 submeged in the ocean. I looked at Armstrong brackets & didn't like them ether. So I started from scratch & designed mine like an extension of the hull, stupid, huh ?? A friend's brother is a great boat builder, he works out of his garage & makes some awsum boats. We worked together & ended up with a bracket that really performs. You are spot on with the engine weight (same as the Volvo Penta Diesel/dual prop, that came out). The engines are cantilevered 31 inches off the transom, BUT the bracket being a hull extension, gives support under way. There was no redistribution of weight necessary & it would have been near impossible anyway.
    I get a lot of compliments on the launch ramp & from the folks that live up on the bluff that watch the boats come in.
    BTW, the 2 MPG is not at 51 MPH, that is my over all average when I behave myself.

Nick, when I lived in So. Calif., I would go out of Point Loma, San Diego on Friday night. We would run all night until purple morning & start trolling. That would put us down below Ensenada, Mex. We would spend 2 nights on the ocean & go into Ensenada for fuel to get back home. Believe it or not, I get more albacore on a day trip here, than I got on those grueling long ocean trips. But it is ALL fun !!!

Thank You very much, search, that's one helluva compliment !!
    albie...gif FISHERMAN.gif

19. nickndfl

Boaters love Yamaha outboards. When I was out last weekend they must have been on 75% of the boats I saw off Stuart and on the Indian River. My dad had twin Volvo Pentas on his POS boat. That thing always broke down or caught fire even after expensive rebuilds ($3000) in 1970s dollars.

20. Bushpilot

Bushpilot Silver Member Silver Miner

I can handle not drinking or smoking while fishing! Sign me up! BP

TAEZZAR likes this.
  21. BackwardsEngineeer

For those not quite so familiar with repowering inboard to outboard, what Taez accomplished would win accolades over at the hull truth. Frankly, when attempted most often its never the same, and often the builder will disgustingly pull the outboards, scrap the hull and strap those puppies on an outboard hull needing retrofitting.

I am with you searcher.... thread of the month

22. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

Slave, but a little less every day
    Thanks for the thread.
    I remember the build and the pics you posted then.
    Some years ago now.
    Totally over the top cool.
    Regards T,

23. nickndfl

Exactamundo. Hulls designed for inboards are different than those for outboards. To get it right requires more than luck. I would have went with a different hull myself, but what we have here is a convertible!

24. TAEZZAR

A little more explanation would be nice.
    Here is my reasoning:
    The hull I used is a proven open ocean hull ( Skipjack hulls are far better than 99% of other trailerable I/O hulls). I have messed with boats, inboard & outboard, for most of my life. The only possible difference that I can think of, other than general strength, is transom strength. Outboards require a stronger tramsom due to the height of engine placement & the resultant moment produced at the base of the transom. I/O's are generally a stronger hull, due to the engine being placed inside the hull. I/O's do not put much of a load on the transom. That was the reason for the inner brackets tying into the old diesel engine stringers. I run out over 50 miles in the ocean, with total confidence that my boat will return to port.

25. nickndfl

I was not criticizing you, I was merely selecting the path of least resistance.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  26. TAEZZAR

After I wrote that, I thought my reply could look critical, I was simply replying to your comment with a full explanation.
    Peace !

27. nickndfl

We needs more pictures of your catch!!!! It was difficult keeping the kids entertained unless I hooked the fish myself and handed the pole to one of them. The one plays basketball and the other plays guitar, but neither could fish if their life depended on it.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  28. TAEZZAR

OK, nick, here ya go

MARK'S BIG ALBIE.jpg

IMG_0052 (Large) (Medium).JPG

P1000066 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0132 - Copy (Large) (Medium).JPG

BackwardsEngineeer and nickndfl like this.
  29. nickndfl

Just hauled in a nice catch too!
    170813-004216.jpg

TAEZZAR likes this.
  30. TAEZZAR

Here are some more pic's.
    We crab in the ocean & a couple of technical pic's, LOL
    image1.JPG image2.JPG IMG_0436.JPG

BackwardsEngineeer likes this.
  31. nickndfl

I used to go shrimping off Ft. Lauderdale. You can even go inside Port Everglades. All you need is a dip next and bright light plus a bucket for the catch. Just stand on the seawall and wait for them to swim in with the tide. By boat we would dip in the ocean with a string of lights all around. Cannot get any fresher than that.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  32. TAEZZAR

Nice, we love fresh shrimp.
    Now that I have a power puller for my crab pots, shrimping is on my to learn list.
    Here it's done in the ocean in several hundred feet of water.

BackwardsEngineeer likes this.
  33. nickndfl

Ask around the docks where the skrimps come in and wait for high tide. I still see old timers on the side of the road early in the morning with a stocked cooler in the back of their pickup and a cardboard sign that reads Fresh Shrimp.

It used to be $5/pound heads on, but I don't know what it is now.

TAEZZAR likes this.