1. Turnaround Tues, metals are down a bit, and we have the consumer confidence report on tap today
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Tuesday morning, Metals are weaker this am, while oil is going positive after yesterdays losses. The USD is getting a small push to the up.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 8/27/16 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1322.60 DOWN 19.60-- Silver $18.65 DOWN 66-- Oil $47.64 DOWN 1.47--- USD $95.54 up 106 tics-- Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE $1392.14(1), SAE $21.84 (20)
  4. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

Turning soda cans into solar heating panels

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by Goldhedge, May 9, 2013.

1. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2015
    Ragnarok, searcher, Ahillock and 2 others like this.
  2. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    Greg's Pop-Can Solar Space Heating Collector

Greg's solar air heating collector uses recycled aluminum soda pop cans for the absorber. The pop cans have the tops and bottoms drilled out, and are assembled into vertical columns that the air passes through.

In operation, the black painted soda pop cans are heated by the sun, warming the air that is flowing up through the cans.

GregCa1.jpg GregCa2.jpg

A manifold at the bottom evenly distributes room air to all the can columns, and a similar manifold at the top of the collector collects the heated air for distribution back to the room.

The combination of uniform air distribution to the whole collector and the large amount of heat transfer area from the cans to the air makes for an efficient collector. Greg's collector also uses Twinwall polycarbonate glazing -- this is a type of double glazing that reduces heat loss and increases the efficiency of the collector.

Download Greg's detailed 22 page description of how to build this collector... (3 mb pdf)

Thanks very much to Greg for so care fully documenting building the collector, and for making the plans available!

more pics:
    http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/GregCanCol/GregCanCo.htm

Ragnarok and searcher like this.
  3. lighthousekeeper73

lighthousekeeper73 Seeker Seeker

Great Video! It's awesome how these people come up with the ideas for the secondary use of these items.

Here is a simliar video, I hope you enjoy!

searcher, Goldhedge and Kkernell like this.
  4. Ahillock

Ahillock A nobody Mother Lode

Very cool. If you live in an area that is cloudy/overcast much of the time, I wonder if this would still make sense and be worthwhile?

Such a great idea.

5. TRYNEIN

TRYNEIN Silver Member Silver Miner

interesting and useful

6. Ahillock

Ahillock A nobody Mother Lode

You guys think you could make something similar and use it as a hot water heater?

7. Ragnarok

Ragnarok I'd rather be Midas Member

WhyKnow likes this.
  8. Sport

Sport Gold Member Gold Chaser

Computer hack
  9. GOLD DUCK

GOLD DUCK Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

QWAK,Ahillock,I built one about 30 years ago using copper pipe with flatened beer/soda cans stapled over the riser pipes and painted flat black. I used a comercial building door frame insolated with 1/2" foam and with glass top to trap the heat.

It worked ok in the hot summer sun to help heat my hot tub/pond --- it is kind of neat but not realy very efficient :(

It was an interesting experiment but it is just out in the yard now and no longer hooked up to the hot tub:thumbs_down: --- at night it drained the heat even faster because it acted like a radiator and because of the differnce in temp --- it circulated the water with out the pump running.:thumbs_down::cry_smile:

Some good ideas just are not as good as hoped or imagined.:hmmmm2::thumbs_down::cry_smile:

the DUCK :s9:

10. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Site Supporter Midas Member

There needs to be some kind of plenum with a check valve for the summer. Very labor intensive too compared to available aluminum or copper tubing. Just because you can build something out of scrap does not mean you should.

11. GOLD DUCK

GOLD DUCK Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

QWAK,nickndfl,A plenum may (?) work with heating air BUT with water the system MUST be totaly DRAINED if thep goes below freezing!:36_1_63::thumbs_down:

The freezing water will split and burst copper tubing and I have personaly seeninch and a half cast steel pipe fitings crack open because of freezing!:ahhhhh::thumbs_down:

the DUCK :s9:

12. D-FENZ

D-FENZ Silver Member Site Supporter Silver Miner

I don't mean to hijack this thread but you can get a similar effect with a bottle of water on your cell phone / smart phone light. It is amazing how much brighter the light appears to be when using that trick.

Mantokir and Goldhedge like this.
  13. Mantokir

Mantokir Silver Member Silver Miner

and I was wondering how I could test this.... Thanks. :-D