1. It is the weekend, Gold and Silver had a good week, recovering losses from last week.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Saturday morning. Next week is presidential debate 1. Should see volatility ramp up.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 9/24/16 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1337.50 UP 31.30-- Silver $19.81 UP 95-- Oil $44.48 UP 86 TICS--- USD $95.39 DOWN 66 tics-- Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE $1409.04(1), SAE $22.87 (20)
  4. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

URANIUM & ALTERNATIVE ENERGY

Discussion in 'PM Trading/Stocks/Technical Analysis' started by SAGI, Apr 3, 2010.

1. SAGI

SAGI Gold Member Gold Chaser

Investor/trader in metals equities
    So we begin again like the proverbial Phoenix rising form the ashes. The new Alternative thread remains the same as the previous three. The rules remain the same. Each thread will begin from 1st of April rather than as previously from 1st of May. I cannot see any Avatars yet I have no idea why and I am unable to load up mine either. I guess this is work in progress. I apologize for any inconvenience caused but the move caught me off my feet much as I suspect it did many others. All things happen for a purpose even though that purpose may defy our inquisitiveness. In such times we must accept the card dealt and move on. So we begin with the first of many postings.
    God Bless you all.

SAGI

eugene likes this.
  2. SAGI

COFFEE WITH CARROT HEAD!

HOW BORING! ​

Ai! I need that coffee real bad. I am suddenly on a new thread, and never even realized that the old one was closing. A closed mind perhaps. I hope I see all the old readers here. Perhaps new ones will catch up. A new beginning.

Yawn! This week has begun like as if we were in the middle of last week. Nothing interesting appears on the horizon. That’s dangerous! A time that catches you off guard! Well it did catch me off guard! The entire thread just disappeared. Damn inconvenient I say. No warning just a poof, leaving me floundering like a fish out of water. If it were not for some reader who sent a message saying that it was going to close down I would have thought its was Aprils fool. Well I was a fool. Moving on!

A tentative tantalizing piece of item caught my eye this Monday morning. Hathor was getting off the counter readings on some of its holes. Hathor has for some time been giving some very good grades. They are a little further from where they were but not near enough to give us what the goods will be.

I like Hathor. Never had any shares of it but I have been watching their progress. In September of 2008 Hathor reached around 4.30 per share. Before it fell all the way down through the crisis to around one dollar. A significant fall but certainly not as bad as many of the other stocks like Dennison and Pinetree. These stocks fell from 14 dollars and 18 dollars down to their lows falling below 80 cents. Mega from 8 dollars to 50 cents. All this happened over a period of one and a quarter years. Since then has anything changed- fundamentally?

I would think so. For one , we have green lights popping off every where, from the Emirates to China. We have the go ahead for fifty some thing power plants which are currently under construction, 142 approved and ordered and some 327 proposed. Well that’s a hell of an order. Anyone got ideas as to where they intend to get their uranium from? Mines take 10 years to come up. Very few if any are proposed fewer still are approved and even fewer are awaiting financing or in the process of getting one. I know of very few uranium independents that are currently viable. Possible takeovers are there but no ones actually going out and getting them. With Chinese involvement or Japanese involvement how many big miners are willing to get in? the big boys appear to have their hand full for the time being and this basically means that the only candidates that are getting considered are those that have a good amount of resource and are cheap to bring to the ground. At 40 dollars any deposit with less than 100 million pounds and less than a couple of pounds per ton of rock are not being considered. Unless you possibly have 500,000,000 pounds sitting in the ground, are sitting in a country where licenses are easy to get and the resource is confirmed and its not one tenth of a pound per tonne. How many of those are we aware of? I know one that appears to have the resource but the politics of the country may have something to do with the fact that the stock is not moving or it could be the price of Uranium.

We know that most uranium mines do not have reserve stock of Uranium above the ground. Most are sold out. We know that apart from Energy resources, Ranger, Mc Arthur, Langer Hendrich, Rossing, and the Khazek deposit by Uranium 1, there is very little mining going on. Three rich or semi rich deposits are in Canada, One is Dennison’s find which is in partnership with Cameco, Cameco’s cigar lake and now I am beginning to see Hathor possibly coming out with some major finds. We have the Russians with their big deposit but they are using their resources. A few years ago JNR resources also came up with some good percentages and then…..nothing. So forgive me for being skeptical. The prices of these stocks are depressing and not one of them is really moving not even Cameco. Yawn! How boring.

Perhaps the calm before the storm? It has happened before and it will happen again. A stealth approach of about a half percent to 1 percent movement every two days or so, ever slow that it almost puts you to sleep. It moves slowly past your vision hardly making an impression, but perhaps these are the ones to watch swinging back and fro like slow pendulums. Now would be the time to be watchful. Now would be the time to be careful. It could happen in a week or it could happen in a month or perhaps even a year, all that’s needed is a trigger of sorts to cause an explosion. So this lullaby will take us off our guard and that will be our missed opportunity. While every single condition is not in place for us to go in long term, I still continue to look at various index trends and find we are still awaiting some signals which may give us an indication when our giant will wake up.

Meanwhile I note that there is still avid interest in companies such as BLDP which has been range bound for the better part of this year suddenly woke up and jumped 20%, after which it appears to promptly fall asleep again. Lets keep an eye on it too, as often after such jumps we may wait for a few days and see the trend re-emerge. Several clean stock indexes such as http://www.cleanedge.com/ , http://www.thestreet.com/quote/CELS.html, wind index http://www.thestreet.com/quote/QWND.html, and http://www.thestreet.com/quote/QGRD.html were all showing signs of life. Nothing major as yet but we do see some bubbles on the surface indicating that there be life underneath.

In the news were Rio Tinto’s staff. Jailed and lost jobs, Rio is into self preservation and promptly has distanced itself from the staff that appear to be involved. Interesting how the Rio staff were caught but not the steel mills that made up the other half of the deal. For Rio, China is more important than the four and people can be replaced more easily than mega deals. So the lambs go to the slaughter chamber- so to speak. http://edition.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/03/29/china.rio.verdict.firing.ft/index.html

Finally after twenty five years someone at Ken Gen the power generating company in Kneya admitted that Hydro power was just not viable for Kenya. Ken Gen came out with a two page report that they are going the Geo Thermal way with four projects being put up for approximately 500MW generation called the Ol Kerio projects. Still not enough but it’s a start. The cost will be approximately about a billion dollars for all the projects together. Five different international agencies will be involved in these including Jaica the Japanese agency for loans to Kenya for these projects, The EC will also be involved. Another wind generating plant is being put up in the arid north with issues of connecting to the main grid. I would think that sooner rather than later Solar thermal plants will be put up in the arid north. Kenya is getting new roads done. Surrounding it are countries which have minerals and natural resources but not a godo enough infrastructure to transport these. Kenya is building a new port at Lamu, and modernizing the old one at Mombasa.

Kenya has had some dispute with Uganda where President Museveni the old guard and hard liner says that their oil will be refined in Uganda. Kenya’s prime minister said he has no issues with that, however how is Musevini going to get that oil out of the country? So he suggests that the refinery be in Kenya. If that does not happen Museveni will be trying to fly the damn oil out. Well that’s the ministers suggestion because it ain’t going to be allowed to come through Kenya. Chew on that Mr. Museveni. The Chinese are going all out with extending, expanding the current road structures. They always go in like that and build everything that lasts for all of five years but get an agreement for resources for thirty. The Chinese may talk about Rio’s bribes but they are the most corrupt nation on the planet and they call it business, just not in their back yard. Everybody else’s will do just fine. Kenya is about to learn a hard lesson and its called; “There’s no such thing as a free lunchâ€.

Still we continue to look at the alternatives. If we see steel demand rising we will see vanadium rising, zinc rising, nickel rising. Its amazing as my little one (grandchild) came up to me and said his batteries for one his toys was dead. Usually they would ask for us to go to the corner shop and get a couple more. Instead he handed me his four AA batteries and asked if I could recharge them! Recharge? Well yes the SAGI houshold appears to have gone renewable both internally and externally as well as financially. (God help us we do need a financial recharge station.). Amazingly all regular batteries have been replaced with rechargeable ones. The water heater has been replaced with a solar one. Its was only with a threat from Mrs SAGI that the gas and electric cookers were not replaced with solar ones. The others beat a hasty retreat as the old hard wood rolling pin came out for its most effective use to date. All sons and daughters in law ran for cover. Yes sir the old dragon still holds the power within. Loved as she is the old dragon is not to be trifled with when it comes to her precious kitchen. No convincing will allow the old cooker to be replaced with modern utilities. If she had it her way we would probably still have the old fire oven in there. Mrs SAGI is perhaps no different to any of us and set in our ways. New methods, new products, new ideologies all are a violent shock to our systems. They will always be resisted. All new introductions take a lot of time to be accepted as the norm. Alternatives and Nuclear are perhaps no different, however dragged we shall be by cheek of all our butts perhaps, kicking, screaming hell blue murder, but dragged we shall all be sooner or later into the 21st centuary’s second decade.

I still like to get one of the Cubans out from time to time and sit out on the balcony overlooking the tree line and have a good single malt. Used to light better when we had the old wood stove but times change, now I got a bloody flame thrower and some extra large matches for the job. Which reminds me I am running out of my favourite tipple so I need to order a couple of bottles more. Tongues cannot be left parched at my age. Aha! so mad Nairobi continues with its chaos due to major road works all over the city. No organization here. Every thing is chaotic. Madness continues to prevail in our city.

Speaking of madness the recent agreement between the US and Russia for MAD arsenal to be reduced may play a role in the supply and demand of uranium. So additional supply agreements may lie ahead. This may cause more price crisis. On the other hand they may not. Time will tell.

Rare earths also made a jump on the news that Molycorp will begin mining again. http://metalsplace.com/news/articles/33535/molycorp-to-restart-rare-earth-mining-in-california/ RES. V and other rare earth explorers jumped a little lets see if the trend will continue.

Electrovaya has been putting out news of a new director who came from Chrysler. The company suddenly got a sample contract for a 140 batteries or so from Chrysler. Well…. connect the two. Volumes jumped and so did the price. It’s a sample order guys so don’t panic. Wait for the trend to set in. If it does than great.
    Yet it moves up another 20% in over bought position, a great time to sell it and move out. If the trend recedes it has to remain above the initial start up point. Remaining above that and returning to its upward movement may show an indication of an upward trend. It would be strange that the company continues up based on this news unless people infer from the above action that the company has been approved and likely may get other orders. That’s a risky assumption. So I am waiting to see where all this is going. Sheesh it continues to move up! Am I in? Nope. Sitting on the side lines. Its gone well into the over bought position for this to become a real trend its got to come down a little and than begin to move up again. Well that’s my usual course for trending.

Most alternatives have been moving down for a while. Most alternatives trade on the Nasdaq rather than on the dow. Speaking of Dow we had an interesting article yesterday which is here; http://www.321gold.com/editorials/thomson_s/thomson_s_033010.html

CSIQ is showing signs of life so I am waiting to see what is going to happen to it.

I have been saying that the markets are ready for a correction for ages but every single call has been wrong. I give up! I am willing to wait patiently. I tried shorting two stocks recently one I had to get out of the other has begun to move a little. Nothing major but there is a small movement. The markets are indeterminate, its impossible to tell for the moment as to if they are going to continue to move up or are they tired. Are they taking a rest or will they begin to move down from here. Ballard power recently made some gains and looked to be in a longer term trend but the bears got it and dumped yesterday. The pivot had come in two days earlier, but stupidly I ignored it. I am paying the price for it.

Both the volatility indexes SKF and FAZ are well in over sold territory, but this has taken place several times so its not like they have not been there however with one difference this time; Not in two years have they been this low. FAZ was consolidated a few months ago it had been around the 4 dollar the consolidation gave it a price of around 40 dollars. Its presently sitting at around 13.50 so without consolidation a price of around 1.350. This does not mean it can’t go lower. SKF about a year ago was around the 50 dollar mark, now sitting around the 19 dollar mark. That’s the lowest it has been for a long time. The charts show they have not moved for some time. The ^VIX has not been lower than this for some time either. Just prior to the 2008 crash the VIX was sitting at around the 22 dollar mark. It is currently around the 17 dollar mark. If I were a bear this is the time to get into these indexes and consider shorting the markets. Let me reiterate- I have been burnt doing this. Badly enough to sit in a corner, curl up, and wish I was dead! I remember FACT’s words very well at that point when he stated that these indexes have to be bought and sold very very quickly. Sitting on them is usually a one way ticket to hell. So I am not recommending that any one buy these but at least be aware of them. Consider them as an indictor to the directions that the markets may take. Perhaps it is time to consider shorting the markets even if it is a gamble. Two of the ultra short funds are in over sold position for some time now and the VIX index though not quite there is approaching the oversold position. Worth considering it in the month of April.

I leave you with this and bid you a good Easter weekend. A time to reflect perhaps on what we have lost and what perhaps we may gain in the future.

Have a good weekend.
    SAGI
    :shine::beer1:

3. SAGI

According to FBR Capital Markets analyst Mehdi Hosseini, who just returned from China, China will implement FIT (feed-in-tariff) in the next 1-2 months. This is not a surprise as the country welcomes 2010 World EXPO in Shanghai at the end of April. The topic of this year's EXPO is green energy. This may be the most important milestone for the solar industry and the rest of the renewable energy industry.

The following numbers give us some idea how China is consuming energy and materials these days. According to CNBC, China consumes 45% of world coal, 30% of world oil, and steel production is over 50% of the world total. China is finally heading towards the renewable energy industry. Our sources also indicate that the central government is working on a plan to materialize the green energy push in that country. Over the last two decades, China has been able to set a goal and deliver it. This new energy target is no exception.

The solar PV market in China has been heating up ahead of the FIT announcement. Solar farms and wind farms have been announced lately, and the small scale rooftop projects are also ramping up quickly. JA Solar (JASO) has seen gaining market share in the domestic market. Its high-efficiency crystalline based PV cells are gaining customer recognition overseas, and the company reported the best Q4 earnings among the solar companies in terms of year over year revenue growth and profit margin. We believe JA Solar is well positioned to gain momentum in 2010. On a relative basis, most Chinese solar and Japanese solar companies should do better than American and European peers because the Chinese market demand has been rising significantly in the last few months. Companies such as Suntech Power (STP), Solarfun (SOLF), Sharp (SHCAY.PK) and Sanyo (SANYY.PK).

4. SAGI

Opinion: Rejecting nuclear power would be 'sheer folly'
    By Malcolm Grimston, for CNN
    April 1, 2010 -- Updated 0731 GMT (1531 HKT)

Future energy source: Malcolm Grimston makes the case for nuclear power.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
    Problems with nuclear power are "minor compared to energy shortages and climate change"
    Nuclear power can provide reliable baseload energy that renewables currently cannot
    More renewable energy needed but only if it is "technically feasible"
    Malcolm Grimston is an associate fellow at Chatham House, a UK-based NGO analyzing international affairs and issues. Here he give the case for nuclear energy.
    London, England (CNN) -- We need three things from global energy and electricity supplies. They should be as economic as possible, as reliable as possible -- power cuts are very expensive -- and do as little damage to the environment as possible.
    The challenge for energy policy, of course, is that often these three requirements pull us in different directions. The 1990s (especially in the UK) was extremely unusual in that a single policy -- the "dash for gas" -- was delivering on the economic, security and environmental fronts. Gas was cheap and plentiful and a lot of new generating capacity was built.
    Now, however, the world is in trouble on all three fronts. Oil is hovering at around $80 a barrel dragging gas, coal and electricity prices up with it.
    Security of supply is threatened in two ways. The main gas (and oil) reserves are in the Middle East and countries of the former Soviet Union -- not necessarily the most reliable suppliers for the long term. Many countries are also becoming alarmingly short of electricity generating capacity.
    Meanwhile, despite growing fears of climate change the world is using a lot more energy and getting more of it from the main sources of greenhouse gas emissions -- oil, gas and coal -- than it did at the time of the supposedly groundbreaking Rio Conference in 1992.
    As countries like China and India develop their economies world energy use is expected to double by 2050. Yet we have to cut releases of "greenhouse gases" like carbon dioxide by perhaps four-fifths over the same period if we are to stand a chance of managing the consequences.
    'New' renewables make very little contribution. Nuclear (and hydro) are proven low-carbon energy sources.
    --Malcolm Grimston
    RELATED TOPICS
    Nuclear Energy
    Nuclear Engineering
    It's impossible to believe there is a single simple solution to all of this. We need to use energy as efficiently as possible. We need to look for ways of capturing the carbon dioxide from coal and gas-fired power stations. We also need to use more renewables where they are technically feasible.
    So why nuclear?
    Its economics are probably favorable against any realistic assumption about fossil fuel prices in the future.
    It does depend on the industry being able to deliver new stations to time and cost -- the experience in Finland and France, where the world's first nuclear reactors of the design known as the EPR are being built, is typical of the first-of-a-kind of any major technology, running seriously late and at much higher cost than first claimed, but that does not imply that future plants will follow the same pattern, assuming a sensible regulatory regime can be established.
    But that of course is a matter for the commercial companies that will consider building them.
    The fuel, uranium, is widespread -- countries like Canada and Australia are major producers. Unlike renewables, it does not depend on the wind blowing at the right speed, or the tide being in or the sun being out.
    Indeed, for "baseload" -- the reliable electricity that we need for transportation, pumping water, keeping us warm (or cool) and so on -- nuclear energy does not compete with renewables but with coal and gas.
    And nuclear energy doesn't add to serious releases of carbon dioxide.
    What do you think? Is nuclear power a good option? Send your comments using the "Sound off" box at the bottom of the page.
    Is it perfect? No. Are its problems (notably radioactive waste) minor compared to energy shortages and climate change? In my view, resoundingly yes.
    Nuclear energy should either be included in mechanisms for supporting low-carbon energy, such as the European renewables targets, or such measures should be abolished.
    Only then would decisions on how most efficiently we can cut carbon emissions be taken on rational grounds rather than in deference to the hobby-horses of pressure groups.
    Latest polls suggest that only 26 percent of people in the UK are convinced that climate change is real and caused by human activity.
    Yet some self-styled environmentalists would rather divert their campaigning efforts to attack nuclear energy, which in reality has been very environmentally benign over the last 55 years when the "what-ifs" are ignored, than to establishing a public basis for action against what is in reality the greatest environmental threat we have ever faced or are likely to face. It is a warped sense of priorities of the most irresponsible kind.
    At present we get about seven eighths of the world's traded energy from oil, coal and gas. The rest is almost evenly divided between nuclear and hydro. "New" renewables make very little contribution.
    According to some commentators, mankind perversely chose to use all the bad sources of energy first, and kept the nice easy ones till last. It might be true but it almost certainly isn't. Nuclear (and hydro) are proven non-fossil low-carbon energy sources. To turn our backs on them now is sheer folly.

5. SAGI

Cameco downgraded to 'sell'
    David Pett, Financial Post
    Published: Tuesday, April 06, 2010

In this story:CCO $26.99 -$0.18
    Data delayed at least 15 min

Related Topics

Cameco Corporation
    Canaccord Adams Inc.
    Materials Sector
    Orest Wowkowdaw

Story Tools

Change font size
    Print this story
    E-Mail this story
    Share This Story

LinkedIn
    Facebook
    Digg
    More
    The ongoing saga at Cigar Lake continues to haunt Cameco Inc. (CCO/TSX) investors.

Late on Thursday, the uranium miner released its long-awaited technical report on the Northern Ontario project, pictured below, revealing higher costs and a slower-than-expected rampup of production.

"While the company had recently disclosed a revised capital-cost estimate of around $1-billion and a revised startup timeline of 2013, the technical report disclosed higher than forecast life-of-mine cash operating costs of $23 per pound (up from $14/lb) and a relatively slow production ramp-up timeline (with full capacity not expected until 2017)," said Orest Wowkowdaw, a Canaccord Adams analyst.

Mr. Wowkodaw lowered his net present value for Cameco by 9.1%, resulting in a downgrade of the stock to "sell" from "hold." His new price target is $25, down from $28 previously. The stock rose 1% to $27.17 yesterday.

"While we remain bullish on the medium-to long-term fundamentals for uranium, we see limited upside in Cameco shares in the near term," he said.

UBS analyst Brian Mac-Arthur maintained his "buy" rating, but reduced his price target to $34 from $36. He said the extended mine rampup was expected, but cash costs were higher than his forecast.

6. SAGI

STOCK ALERT: BUY SIGNAL FOR QUC.V, RES.V AND AVL.TO
    Rare earths are beginning to get a life of their own. QUC.V and RES.V have both got a BUY signal. QUC.V is rising very rapidly and has surpassed its previous highs. This is one of those times to be careful BUY IN but sell if a pivot point is created, other wise hold onto this baby. RES.V is another good stock as well as AVL.TO. AVL is also a BUY.

I own shares of QUC.V and RES.V I do not own shares of AVL.TO.

SAGI

7. SAGI

Hot Rocks and Hot Investments… But Don’t Get Burned!
    Print This Post | Email This Page: Topic: Other — April 2nd, 2010

By Dr. Marc Bustin, Ph.D., FRSC, Casey Research Energy Team

The geothermal industry has been taking one step forward and two steps back over the last year. On the forward side are grants and interest-free loans aplenty, particularly from governments wanting to jump on the green-energy bandwagon. Pushing back is not only some tough geology with deep, dry-rock drilling projects, but also the public fear of earthquakes along with other environmental issues.

Overall, what we’re seeing is a reality check for geothermal energy. It still leads the pack among the alternative energies as a sustainable source of base-load energy with no storage requirements. However, making the leap from tapping natural reservoirs to actually creating them, as EGS (enhanced geothermal systems) projects are trying to do, is proving harder than a lot of people have thought.

There is definitely a potential of earthquakes occurring in geothermal areas – case in point: the tremors at the Geox project in Landau, Germany. That was neither the first nor last time that these rumblings and geothermal projects have happened in the same neighborhood; after all, areas where hot rocks occur relatively near the surface also tend to be areas prone to earthquakes. The EGS process of fracturing rock layers via hydraulic pressure, necessary to inject and heat the water before pumping it back up, can also trigger seismic shifts in underground rocks.

On December 10, 2009, the Swiss government permanently shut down a geothermal project near Basel that was suspended in 2006 following a series of minor earthquakes. The Basel project was touted as the first commercial hot fractured dry-rock (aka EGS) geothermal project. The next day, AltaRock Energy told the U.S. Department of Energy it was abandoning its project at The Geysers in Northern California, an attempt to expand an existing conventional geothermal project via EGS.

AltaRock’s project at The Geysers was supposed to be the flagship of the Obama administration’s push for clean energy, enjoying the backing in millions of not only federal (read: taxpayer) dollars but also the likes of Google.org and other private investors.

AltaRock appears to have found that the deep drilling of EGS projects requires more than a government check and the tweaks to conventional techniques that some geothermal enthusiasts have suggested. In this case, the start-up company reportedly reached no more than 4,400 feet of its planned depth of 12,000 feet (3,700 meters) before a tricky layer of fibrous rock called serpentinized peridotite caused the holes to collapse.

More evidence that EGS drill programs are for neither the faint of heart nor the thin of wallet comes from Australia. Geodynamics, the only Australian company to reach “proof of concept” with EGS, has experienced a major delay at its Cooper Basin project in South Australia. The company’s goal of a 50-megawatt plant by 2012 was recently set back some two years due to the corrosion and failure of the project’s well casing.

Additional challenges in geothermal development are market access and the long stretch from drill rig to humming turbine. For example, MidAmerican Energy abandoned its Salton Sea project in California mainly due to lack of transmission resources and hence access to market.

In Canada, the Meager Mountain geothermal project north of Vancouver is the poster child for longevity in development. The area was recognized as a possible geothermal site in the mid-1970s, with both test and deep holes drilled for the next 30 years. These days Ram Power continues to pursue the prospect, but it appears the project is currently in stasis.

Quite a list. So what does it all mean for the future of geothermal energy, and particularly for us considering investment in it?

It’s still true that EGS has the potential to unlock previously inaccessible layers of hot rocks and make steam with them – lots of it. However, large uncertainties that hover around several aspects of deep hot rock geothermal projects make it difficult to quantify the risk in exploring and developing them, including degree of alteration and competency of the rocks at depth and chemistry of the geothermal fluids. Hand in hand with technical uncertainties come investment uncertainties.

Then couple those risks with high capital costs, environmental hurdles, and long lead times, and you have some stiff challenges for micro- and small-cap companies with limited technical expertise. The super-green appeal, energy potential, government grants, and possible carbon credits make geothermal energy attractive to companies anyway… but this just adds to investor uncertainty. Not only can the government taketh away what it may give, but you also have the usual “me-too” amateurs muddling the field.

In the past, we at Casey’s Energy Opportunity have reviewed a number of excellent companies pursuing geothermal projects. We still consider the upside potential high and will continue to pursue investment opportunities in the geothermal sector.

However, in response to an infusion of government grants (and many more to come) and venture capital, many companies have rebranded themselves as geothermal developers. A good portion of these companies lack the technical expertise or financial depth to be successful, even with the government carrying part of the financing. Seeing through them requires a sharp investment eye.

There’s some hope on the horizon. The Canadian Geothermal Energy Association released in January the Canadian Geothermal Code for Public Reporting. Standardized reporting should help investors evaluate geothermal companies.

Meanwhile, on the technical front are several challenges in EGS to work out. In addition to learning how to drill that deep, and to drill that deep despite any unfriendly layers of rock in between, there’s dealing with hot corrosive fluids. Precipitation of minerals in the system as water cools is another problem to solve. EGS projects are sending home some tough lessons that unlocking this considerable geothermal potential requires new technologies, not just extensions of established ones.

To sum it all up, the future of geothermal energy is still sound, and the sector is in the process of sorting wheat from chaff – both in techniques and in the companies using them. More than ever, good assets, technical expertise, and solid financials are the watchwords for geothermal.
    Dr. Marc Bustin is an award-winning professor of petroleum and coal geology and one of the leading experts on unconventional oil and gas in the industry. As he says, geothermal resources are still a big contender among the “green energies,” but caution and due diligence are a vital part of investing in that sector. Find out how to profit from geothermal stocks with sound fundamentals and great potential… learn more by clicking here.

Got a comment then please add it to this article, all opinions are welcome and appreciated.

If you would like to get a bit more bang out of your your buck, then check out our Options Trading Service please click here.

To stay updated on our market commentary, which gold stocks we are buying and why, please subscribe to The Gold Prices Newsletter, completely FREE of charge. Simply click here and enter your email address.

For those readers who are also interested in the silver bull market that is currently unfolding, you may want to subscribe to our Free Silver Prices Newsletter.

For those readers who are also interested in the nuclear power sector you may want to subscribe to our Free Uranium Stocks Newsletter, just click here.

8. SAGI

Publish Date: 4/6/2010
    Uranium bill sails through the House

Rachel Alexander
    The Daily Record

The Uranium Processing Accountability Act, House Bill 1348, passed the state House on Monday on a vote of 62 to 2. Its next stop is the Senate committee.
    “Today’s vote is absolutely amazing,” said Matt Garrington, of Environment Colorado, which helped develop the bill. “Never before have we seen such strong bipartisan support on uranium legislation.”

The bill is sponsored by Rep. Buffie McFadyen and Sen. Ken Kester and was developed by Colorado Citizens Against ToxicWaste and Environment Colorado. According to those groups, the bill would “hold the uranium industry accountable for its own mistakes and ensure Colorado does not subsidize those companies through tax dollars or incentive pollution by saying actions do not have consequences.”

“Clearly, this is a step in the right direction for this industry,” said Jeri Fry, of CCAT. “General Atomics (owner of Cañon City’s Cotter Corp.) and any owner-operator working in the front end of the nuclear fuel cycle should take up the challenge to do better.”

Cotter has said the bill as written would force the company to shut down as it could not meet some of the requirements and remain economically viable.

Two amendments have been added to the bill. One addresses in-situ mining bond requirements and the other clarifies clean groundwater requirements.

“Uranium processing has left behind a dirty, dangerous legacy in Colorado,” Garrington said. “Today, the Colorado House told the uranium industry that business as usual is not acceptable. This legislation is an important step to help protect Colorado’s air and water from toxic, radioactive uranium pollution.”

9. SAGI

Quest's B-Zone REE Deposit Confirmed as a Large Inferred Resource, Strange Lake Project, Quebec
    Highlights:
    - An Inferred Resource Estimate for the deposit was determined using cut-off grades of 0.7%, 0.8%, 0.85%, 0.9%, 1.0%, 1.1% and 1.2% Total Rare Earth Oxides (TREO) and an average specific gravity of 2.72 g/cc
    - Using a base-case cut-off grade of 0.85%, the B-Zone hosts an Inferred Resource of 114.8 million tonnes grading nearly 1.0% TREO, 1.973% zirconium oxide, 0.208% niobium pentoxide, 0.053% hafnium oxide and 0.082% beryllium oxide
    - Heavy rare earths represent between 43% and 51% of the TREO in the deposit
    - Wardrop concludes that the resources estimate indicates the deposit has potential of hosting an economic mineral resource which warrants further investigation and development
    Buzz up!
    Print
    Companies:QUEST URANIUM CORPORATION (Tier
    Related Quotes
    Symbol Price Change
    QUC.V 3.60 +0.11

Press Release Source: Quest Uranium Corporation On Wednesday April 7, 2010, 8:00 am EDT
    TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - April 7, 2010) - Quest Uranium Corporation (TSX VENTURE:QUC - News) is pleased to announce a new National Instrument 43-101 compliant resource estimate for its B-Zone rare earth deposit within the Strange lake project, Quebec. The estimate was prepared by Wardrop Engineering Inc. ("Wardrop"), who has also recommended that the deposit warrants further investigation and development. The Strange Lake Project is located 195 km northeast of Schefferville, Quebec and 125 km west of the giant Voisey's Bay nickel-copper-cobalt deposit, eastern Labrador (see Figure 1).

The base-case resource was estimated using a Total Rare Earth Oxide (TREO) cut-off grade of 0.85% TREO (Table 1). At this cut-off, the B-Zone hosts an Inferred Resource of 114.8 million tonnes grading 0.999% TREO, 1.973% zirconium oxide, 0.208% niobium pentoxide, 0.053% hafnium oxide and 0.082% beryllium oxide. In addition, Table 2 illustrates the grade averages for all of the Rare Earth oxides at the various cut-offs.

It is estimated that Heavy Rare Earth Elements (HREE) represent between 43% and 51% of the TREO in the deposit.

Mineralisation within the deposit is currently open in all directions. It is intended to expand the knowledge of this with further, higher-density diamond drilling, planned to take place in 2010. Drilling will also assess the resource potential of other REE occurrences identified on the property in 2009. In addition, a program of metallurgical testing and advanced mineralogical studies of the deposit is currently advancing.

It is intended that the data from these studies will form the basis for a future Preliminary Assessment (PA) of the deposit.

For more details link:http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Quests-BZone-REE-Deposit-ccn-559190004.html?x=0&.v=1

10. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter

Slave, but a little less every day
    Hello Sagi,
    I have read your posts concerning Uranium / REE fom the beginning of your time on GIM.
    I appreciate you bringing your stuff here to the new site.
    It is always good to read the perspective from your side of the world.
    Regards,
    Haystackneedle

11. SAGI

Avalon Announces Hydrometallurgical Process Successfully Developed for Its Nechalacho REE Deposit, Thor Lake, NWT
    Buzz up! 0
    Print
    Companies:AVALON RARE METALS
    Related Quotes
    Symbol Price Change
    AVL.TO 2.82 -0.11

Press Release Source: Avalon Rare Metals Inc. On Monday March 29, 2010, 10:07 am EDT
    TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - March 29, 2010) - Avalon Rare Metals Inc. (TSX:AVL - News; OTCQX:AVARF) ("Avalon" or the "Company") is pleased to provide a progress report on metallurgical process development for the Nechalacho rare earth element ("REE") deposit, Thor Lake, NWT.

Following the successful development of a flotation process for producing an REE mineral concentrate in 2009 (as described in the Company's news release dated July 20, 2009), recent work has focused on a hydrometallurgical process to further upgrade the REE into a chemical concentrate, probably a mixed rare earth carbonate. Avalon has now successfully established a hydrometallurgical process methodology, proven numerous times in the laboratory, for extracting the REE out of the mineral concentrates, bringing them into solution so that they can be upgraded by solvent extraction and precipitated as a chemical (carbonate) concentrate.

The Basal Zone layer of the Nechalacho deposit contains a high proportion of heavy rare earth elements ("HREE", samarium to lutetium including yttrium) hosted in the minerals fergusonite and zircon along with light rare earth elements ("LREE", lanthanum to neodymium) hosted in variable amounts of bastnaesite, synchisite, monazite and allanite. Approximately half of the HREE are hosted in fergusonite and half are hosted in zircon. These minerals also contain significant amounts of the rare metals tantalum (Ta), niobium (Nb) and zirconium (Zr) which will also be recovered and converted into saleable products.

Avalon's metallurgical testwork, directed by expert consultant John R. Goode, P.Eng., has led to development of a flotation process at SGS Minerals Services ("SGS") that successfully concentrates the zircon and fergusonite as well as the LREE mineral phases and associated columbite (a niobium tantalum oxide ore mineral). The flotation process flowsheet has been successfully reproduced by Xstrata Process Services (XPS) in Sudbury, Ontario and Avalon now considers this REE mineral concentration methodology to be firmly established. To date, the flotation mineral separation process results in a concentrate with an average REE, Nb, Ta and Zr recovery of about 80% at a mass pull of 18%. Optimization work will continue in order to refine the method and produce additional concentrates for hydrometallurgical testing. Pilot plant work on a five tonne bulk sample of the ore is planned for this summer.

After mineral concentrate production, the next step is mineral cracking, which involves breaking down the rare metal bearing minerals. Avalon has tested a number of methods and has settled on a two-stage process of sulphuric acid bake followed by caustic crack of the residue as the most technically and cost-effective methodology for this particular suite of REE-bearing minerals. This method results in approximately 90-95% of the rare metals being brought into solution. Avalon has completed numerous experiments at SGS that confirm that the route defined operates effectively and provides the basis for preliminary estimation of capital and operating costs. Further optimization of the process will continue over the balance of the year.

The process for upgrading the REE, Nb, Ta and Zr from solution will be conventional solvent extraction, similar to any other REE/rare metal hydrometallurgical plant. The model being prepared for the prefeasibility study presently contemplates production of a mixed REE carbonate containing all of the recovered LREE and HREE, however, Avalon will be continuing to investigate the merits of further separation to isolate the LREE, SEG (samarium, europium & gadolinium) and HREE separately as potential value-added products. The REE would all be produced as carbonates, the Zr as basic sulphate (ZBS), and the Nb and Ta as pentoxide, though other chemical forms are possible. Avalon is currently conducting its solvent extraction work at SGS.

The hydrometallurgical plant design work and estimation of capital and operating costs to be used in the prefeasibility study ("PFS") are being prepared by Melis Engineering Ltd., Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. This is the main information needed to finalize the economic model in the PFS. Avalon is working closely with Scott Wilson Roscoe Postle Associates ("Scott Wilson RPA"), its lead technical consultant, to finalize plant design cost estimates so that the PFS can be completed on schedule this spring.

The Company's Vice President, Operations, David Swisher and Vice-President, Exploration, William Mercer, Ph.D., P.Geo. are providing overall direction on the project. The qualified persons for the purposes of this news release are William Mercer and J.R Goode, P. Eng. Consulting Metallurgist.

About Avalon Rare Metals Inc. (TSX:AVL - News; OTCQX:AVARF)

Avalon Rare Metals Inc. is a mineral exploration and development company focused on rare metals deposits in Canada. Its flagship project, the 100%-owned Nechalacho Deposit, Thor Lake, NWT, is emerging as one of the largest undeveloped rare earth elements resources in the world. Its exceptional enrichment in the more valuable 'heavy' rare earth elements, which are key to enabling advances in green energy technology and other growing high-tech applications, is one of the few potential sources of these critical elements outside of China, currently the source of 95% of world supply. Avalon is well funded, has no debt and its work programs are progressing steadily. Social responsibility and environmental stewardship are corporate cornerstones. Avalon's performance on community engagement in the north earned it the 2010 PDAC Environmental and Social Responsibility Award.

To find out more about Avalon Rare Metals Inc., please visit our website at www.avalonraremetals.com. For questions and feedback, please e-mail the Company at ir@avalonraremetals.com or phone Don Bubar, President & CEO at 416-364-4938. For general discussion and commentary on the rare metals, please visit www.raremetalblog.com.

12. Blueice Mark II

Blueice Mark II Silver Member Silver Miner

Howdy duty, SAIG!!!

I am glad you are back, because you had one of the best threads on GIMco!! :bowdown:...:bowdown:...:bowdown:

13. SAGI

Thank you Haystackneedle,
    Its good to know and be appreciated. Thank you. As always I ask all readers to please add their input/arguments discussions and other points. It helps keep the thread alive. I look forward to having coffee with you this weekend!
    SAGI

14. SAGI

Ow Shucks Blueice...Now you are making me blush. I am glade you find it informative and enjoy it. I look forward to all the readers company and I must add that some of the best threads that I did read at were at GIM. I look forward to seeing many of these thread writers finding their way to the new site. In fact I am sure they already have arrived. Thank you, the compliments are always appreciated. Please do join us for coffee this weekend.
    SAGI

Blueice Mark II likes this.
  15. SAGI

QUC.V still blowing high on very strong volumes and shooting up. Still time to make some profits.
    SAGI

16. SAGI

RARE EARTH MARKET NEEDS COMPETITION, SAYS US CONGRESS
    Mon, Mar 29, 2010
    Email this article Feature Articles, Rare Earth Articles
    By Desmond McMahon–Exclusive to Rare Earth Investing News

Over the past two weeks, lawmakers in Washington have debated resurrecting a domestic supply-chain for rare earths and creating a national stockpile of the elements in response to China’s growing monopoly over the minerals.
    The Congress’ subcommittee on Science and Technology addressed Rare Earth Minerals and 21st Century Industry, and in his opening statements Chairman Rep. Brad Miller (D-NC) lamented how quickly China has taken over rare earths production.
    “The United States, not so long ago, was the world leader in producing and exporting rare earths. Today, China is the world’s leader,” he said.
    US domestic production slid dramatically through the early part of the 21st century due to low prices, which some experts attribute to Chinese state-owned production, home-grown environmental concerns;,and less government support, testified Karl Gschneidner, Jr., a senior metallurgist at the US Department of Energy’s Ames Laboratory in Iowa.
    Now, the US relies almost entirely on China to supply rare earths despite holding approximately 15 percent of the world’s reserves on US soil.
    Dudley Kingsnorth, of the Industrial Minerals Co. of Australia, estimated that by 2015 the world demand for rare earths will total at about 210,000 tons. He expects China will churn out around 170,000 tons, leaving it up to the rest of the world to supply the remainder.
    Miller says now is the time to recognize the importance of these minerals and act. He also notes China’s policy on rare earths is changing.
    “China appears to view rare earths as one of the incentives they can offer a technology firm scouting for a new plant location. How do we compete in attracting and retaining manufacturing firms that need access to rare earth elements in light of China’s current near monopoly, and their willingness to use their monopoly power to our disadvantage?”
    Clearly, the Chinese are no longer content to simply dig up rare earth minerals and export them to those countries who need rare earths for their high-tech manufacturing. So, with China poised to cut back on exports and a potential shortage of the minerals, which are instrumental in developing green technologies and in weapons manufacturing, some US lawmakers are calling it a national security issue.
    Miller says, “The most immediate step [to end China’s monopoly] would be to get some competition back into the supply of rare earths.”
    But building domestic US competition back into the rare earths market could be a costly venture. Jim Hedrick, a former USGS rare earth specialist, says no one in the US “wants to be the first to jump into the market because of the cost of building a separation plant,” which would require thousands of stainless steel tanks holding different chemical solutions to separate out all the individual rare earths.
    Hedrick estimated that opening just one mine and building a new separation plant might cost anywhere from $500 million to $1 billion and would require a minimum of eight years.
    Molycorp Minerals is one of the US-based companies looking to re-establish production of rare earth elements at their San Bernardino County mine and has already begun processing “light” rare earths, such as lanthanum and neodymium, from a stockpile at its mine in Mountain Pass, California. But it still has to ship its rare earths to China for final processing, because only China has the equipment to do the job.
    Mark Smith, chief executive for Molycorp Minerals, said the company is on track to produce 20,000 tons of rare earths annually by mid-2012 if they can get all the required funding in place. But Molcycorp was dealt a blow when they were deemed ineligible for a loan guarantee program through the U.S. Energy Department.
    On March 17th, Rep. Mike Coffman (D-Colo) introduced The Rare Earth Supply-Chain Technology and Resource Transformation (RESTART) Act of 2010 in the U.S. House of Representatives. It would make Molycorp’s plan eligible for the loan guarantee program, which would allow the company to borrow 70 percent of the $450 million cost, to be paid back over 10 years.
    But the bill itself would not authorize any federal funding for any of the proposals. Instead, it asks that the U.S. Departments of Commerce, Energy, Defense and the Interior dig into their own pockets to support the rebuilding of a rare earth supply chain.
    The Act is in committee stage and to be reviewed by the subcommittee on House Armed Services, Subcommittee on House Ways and Means, and Subcommittee on House Financial Services before returning to floor to be debated by all the members.

17. SAGI

Sponsored by

The Next 10 Years: A View From a Utility CEO

Editor's Note: Roger Duncan retired March 1 as general manager of Austin Energy. This is a transcript of remarks he delivered in Austin, Texas at the 2010 Renewable Energy World Conference & Expo North America on Feb. 23. A video of the full Keynote Session is available .

I want to talk at a high level of what I think is going to be happening over the next decade in the future of energy systems and then end with what I think lies in our far future in energy.

The question is, what’s going to happen over the next 10 years in particular? I think at that time we’re looking at the need for tens of thousands of megawatts not only to meet new load growth but hopefully to start replacing some aging coal plants around the country.

Where is that going to come from? When you start looking at that in particular, not only the volume of energy needed but the particular generation characteristics needed to replace a coal plant such as we have here in Austin (and we’ve just gone through an exercise of what it would take to ramp down our coal plant by 2020 to about 60 percent capacity factor) I think it becomes clear that although all renewable energy is in a good position and is an expanding rapidly not everything is going to be in the forefront and the leader in grabbing that share over the next decade. So I’m going to tell you what fuels and technologies I think will not be meeting that need and then some that will.

There are going to be some coal plants built in the next decade. I don’t think very many around the country. The environmental characteristics obviously are the main stoppers. Clean coal technology, carbon capture and sequestration is certainly being worked on, but I think people will, if they’re candid, tell you there hasn’t been much progress on that for some time. There will be a handful of demonstration projects and the capture of the carbon coming from coal over the next decade but the technology’s not going to be commercially available in large volumes in this decade and the sequestration problem—the volume of CO2 that has to be sequestered—is just enormous. Things like enhanced oil recovery don’t even start to cut into the volume of sequestration that’s needed. So clean coal is not going to provide tens of thousands of megawatts, in my opinion, over the next decade.

Neither is nuclear and I’m an old anti-nuclear activist; that’s how I started my career. I’m one of the people who has switched opinions. I think that global warming is a much more serious concern than the handling of nuclear waste. Nonetheless, I don’t think you’re going to have more than a handful of new nuclear plants coming online by the end of this decade—maybe 10 or so. The construction cost is the main constraint. There’s also a workforce issue, just in the number of nuclear engineers to get these built. There’s not going to be tens of thousands of megawatts of nuclear power to come online to handle the baseload needs of shutting down old coal plants.

Biomass is growing and will continue to grow; it is a good technology. Austin Energy is buying the power from a 100 MW biomass plant coming online two years from now in east Texas. But again, the volume of electricity that we need nationwide; I think you will see biomass grow, but it’s not going to be in tens of thousands of megawatts. The 100 MW plant we’re bringing online will be one of the largest in the country. I think you’re going to run into fuel issues, the same as the biofuel industry did. So it’s going to fill a good sector, but it’s not going to be the major source in the next 10 years.

Which brings us to solar. Utility solar is growing and growing rapidly. We’ve gotten out of the kilowatt stage and the megawatts and now we’re into the hundreds of megawatts being developed and you’ll see large growth in the solar industry over the next decade; it’s going to have a strong niche. Again, I don’t see tens of thousands of megawatts being done in that timeframe. Beyond then, certainly, but in that timeframe solar’s going to take a good portion of the market, but also in dealing with shutting down aging coal plants the generation characteristics of utility-scale solar doesn’t match very well for the nighttime baseload needs of particular plants and that’s what we’ve run into here in Austin. Now distributed solar and PV solar is a different ballgame.

Where I think you’re going to get most of the new generation coming online will be a battle between wind and natural gas. Wind, the technology certainly is mature. The transmission system is the main bottleneck to delay the megawatts coming on board. But there’s no doubt that we are going to get 10s of thousands of new wind capacity brought online in the next decade. Again, for shutting down coal plants you run into a capacity factor issue. Natural gas is going to be a very competitive fuel with new shale discoveries coming online. I don’t think natural gas or wind is going to get a free ride over the next decade. Both have problems we need to deal with. Natural gas has problems from the hydrofracting that is producing all the new natural gas supplies that are being touted. You’re already seeing in some parts of the country shale fields being taken off the exploration market because of environmental issues. And I think the jury is still out on how sustainable the flows are from these new natural gas shale fields. I think you’ll find out from the Barnett shale field if they’re going to keep flowing at the rate they initially started at and what the economic recovery period is for some of these fields.

Wind will continue to face transmission issues. And frankly we’re doing better here in Texas under the PUC (Public Utilities Commission) than the rest of the country is so far in addressing that for various reasons. I think we will continue to have some siting problems that will come up on a regional basis. So those are the two industries that I think will be taking the lion’s share of the growth over the next decade.

But I also think that we’re beginning to approach a tipping point for solar photovoltaics. Solar photovoltaics are experiencing very high growth right now in terms of percentage growth, but it’s still a small piece of the overall energy market. You hear people talk, rightly so, that there’s a difference between new products taking off in consumer electronics like iPhones and such and then in the power generation field it takes decades to transition and bring on new technologies and so forth.

I’m not sure that’s going to be the case for distributed PV. Distributed PV is much closer to the characteristics of the consumer electronics market, and particularly when we have a couple of breakthroughs that are coming. There’s the conventional PV installations which are taking off at very high rates now and the costs are getting down in manufacturing approaching that $1 a watt manufacturing costs. There is also the idea that it is finally taking hold in mass production of the built-in photovoltaics on roofing materials. And some big players like Dow are starting to enter that game. When the roofing materials starts to get very close to the conventional roofing materials and it doesn’t make any difference whether it generates electricity or not in the cost, there’s an explosive market there when you think about the roofing turnover in this nation on an annual basis.

That, and because of nanotechnology advances we’re approaching a breakthrough in the mass area application of solar, reaching the point that an ink-like substance can be sprayed onto mass area surfaces and generate electricity. The combination of those things could lead to a really explosive growth of PV on a distributed basis. And it also will be the leader in what’s starting to be called “micro harvesting†of energy.

So I have very high hopes—not so much in the next few years—more toward the end of this decade and the beginning of the next decade that solar PV will take off. At some point—and as an old anti-nuclear activist, I love saying this—at some point solar PV will be too cheap to meter.
    I think the biggest change we’re going to see and it will just start to emerge this decade but it will be in the future decades, is going to be on the building side. The current trends you hear the most talk about is zero energy buildings and the smart grid.

Zero energy buildings are a great concept. Here is Austin we’re changing our building code so all new single-family homes built in Austin starting in 2015 will be required by code to be net-zero capable energy buildings. We’re well on our way to meeting that target. I don’t think you can do that with commercial buildings and I have friends in California that are promoting zero-energy commercial buildings. I think the loads there are not going to be met by onsite generation. And, frankly I think the zero energy residential buildings are not going to stay zero energy very long when we start plugging in plug-in hybrids and electric vehicles and I think there are other loads that are coming on the residential side that we’re not thinking about yet. If you look at the history of building, you’ll see that we actually have been more efficient in our building over time.

Today’s modern home would be a zero energy building if we hadn’t increased the plug load from electronics and computers and all the other stuff that’s come online. I think there’s some major new loads pending out there. I think domestic robotics will come online as a major new load and eventually you’ll see even more in onsite manufacturing. If that sounds far out you need to Google 3-D printers and think about the consequences of that technology expanding in scope.

The smart grid will have an impact on reduction of loads. It’s perhaps being a little over-hyped in terms of the lasting consequence of smart grid. But it certainly is a game changer in terms of energy consumption on the site and giving residents control of their technology.

Micro harvesting is a term you will start hearing more of. More and more we’re developing the technologies where the actual materials—whether it’s in a house or a car or the paints or the coverings for appliances—are going to start capturing the ambient light and radiant energy and thermal shifts and mechanical movements and convert those to useful energy. It essentially can handle all of what we’re calling the “vampire loads†in the house. And the coverings on the cars and the materials will become both energy generators and energy storage onsite. You’ll also combine that with ubiquitous sensing. In the past few weeks there have been major announcements in the scientific community about battery-less radio devices where the sensing can operate without the need for storage of energy; just from the ambient energy around it. Fuels cells will come back, low power wind and so forth.

Let me end this with a thought that I’ve been pondering for the last few months, at least. I am wondering if we are starting to see the initial emergence of energy-sentient buildings. Energy-sentient buildings are buildings that start to not only generate but store and dispatch all the onsite energy potential of that building and communicate with the energy grid and communicate with the transportation sector and the Internet and so forth.

Now energy-sentient buildings are a very disturbing thought to some people and some people squirm in their seat and say “my gosh, he isn’t saying that buildings are going to become conscious, is he?†That’s an interesting thought and as a matter of fact one of the philosophers of consciousness theory, David Chalmers, has written an article “is a thermostat conscious?†He gets into a very interesting philosophic debate on the origins of consciousness and the role of thermostats and so forth.

One of the issues in the smart grid is that consumers are going to initially play with all their devices and cut their load and so forth, but they’re going to stop doing that after a couple of months. They’re going to need an artificial intelligence-type device to interface between the electric grid and their building to control and so forth that will expand as you get ubiquitous sensing, ubiquitous computers and so forth. Whether or not you think of the building as sentient in terms of relating to it and the computer as a person it will appear that way and whether it is sentient or not doesn’t really matter. If you want to think of the building just as a building and not conscious then you should do that; it will work for you, make you feel good. The building probably won’t mind.

But the key takeaway here is the buildings themselves become the drivers of the electric system. The building decision processes could start handling the decisions of how much load is needed, where it’s needed, where it’s stored, interfacing with the transportation system, interfacing with other communications vehicles and become the driver and decision maker for our electricity grid.

18. SAGI

While the copy of this interview was sent for approval Xemplar has been a little shy to come back to me with approval. I have waited patiently for four weeks without any further communication. So here it is. I did comply with Xempar waiting for them to give added information or change items that they felt were wrong. Nothing forthcoming so there you go. Sorry about the delay.

A ONE 2 ONE INTERVIEW WITH MIKE MEGRAM OF XEMPLAR ENERGY.

BY SAGI.

During the course of my research for the company, I contacted Xemplar energy and was pleasantly surprised when I received a call from their representative in Vancover, Canada. As readers are aware I have been following Xemplar’s progress in Namibia for nearly three years right through their various ups and downs, including the now famous jump on share price due to rumors that circulated at about the same time that Areva made a bid for Uramin. We also heard about the Geroge Forest coming to take over another explorer.

As a potential investor I wanted answers to question put to me by my clients on Xemplar’s potential, its future plans and a personal view of one of its directors. I was first contacted by Yvonne Sheldrake.

After our initial questions and answers Yvonne suggested that Mike would be the right person to talk to and so it was arranged for Mike to talk to me within 48 hours after a meeting with potential share holders and what questions should be asked in what we thought would be a limited time period, giving me time to prepare some questions based on what they would like to know. I had been through all of Xemplar’s website. I knew what the company had, I had gone through all the interviews that Mike had given in the past and I wanted answers to questions that had not been answered before in the last two years. Mike called three times but as usual Nairobi had an ace up its sleeve and we had a 12 hour black out. Luckily SAGI is a master of improvisation and had written all the questions in a diary. Mike called precisely on time but the phone plonked out, curses were yelled, investors kept adding questions and it was getting chaotic. Finally I had enough.

The investors were pushed out of the office, the door locked, I waited for Mike to call. He called 15 minutes later and what should have been a half hour question and answer session turned into a lot longer. There were a couple of invasions in the middle but with the help of the Secretary all were asked to leave Mike and I in peace to get on.

I would like to thank Mr. Mike Megrum for taking the time out to talk to us and I know he is an extremely busy man, but the fact that a potential investor had contacted them, he deemed it necessary to come out head on and take the bull by the horns. I loved the fact that this was no P.R. exercise. Nor were any question preset or sent earlier. This was a raw and frank question and answer session. No hold barred! There were no introductions to Xemplar. We went straight to the nitty gritties…..

Thank you Yvonne for making this possible.

Just to clarify, I took permission from Mike Megram on behalf of Xemplar to put the interview on GIM and specifically on the Uranium & Alternative Energy Investor thread. The discussion was done with SAGI’s clients with a point of view of investing into Xemplar for the longer term.

Read on……

SAGI: Hi Mike, Thank for taking the time to call me.

MIKE: No problem SAGI thank for taking interest in Xemplar Energy. We are always willing to talk to potential investors.

SAGI: Ok! Straight down to the big question….Where are you guys now. How far is the progress and whats going on in the last one year?

MIKE: Well SAGI as you already know we have several areas in Namibia that we are concentrating on, but it’s a big area. We have Warmbad, Cape cross, Engo Valley, Aus Garab among others. The great thing is we have hit uranium in all these areas. It is Warmbad where within Aluriesfontein and another three (high priority targets) at
    Big Yellow that we are concentrating on in terms of drilling.

SAGI: Yes but the uranium concentrations are low in all your finds somewhere in the region of around 150PPM. So what kind of quantities are we talking about?

MIKE: You are correct they are low concentration finds however in Namibia all uranium deposits are low concentration. If you look at the Rio Tinto’s Rossing mine you will find similar concentrations. Other explorers have also found similar concentrations. In terms of quantities we are presently in the process of concentrating on the most advanced of these explorations which have been our focus all through 2009 and that is the Warmbad area. Within this region we have several different areas to focus on, based on our past research. These are Gaobis Target, Big yellow, Houmous river, Girtis Target and Aluriesfontein. Let me clarify; these areas are big, we have so far been trying to figure out the size of the deposits. In order for it to be economical the area of uranium finds has to be big. I would want a deposit at least with 50 million pounds to make it reasonably economical.

SAGI: So you have for the last year been drilling holes finding the edges of these deposits, let me ask you are these deposits connected to each other or not?

MIKE: That’s a good question. At the moment we cannot be sure and in this game we have to be sure before we can release the results. For the present we are looking at them as five or six unconnected deposits while the drilling continues in Warmbad. We would like to concentrate on finding just how big these deposits are and the more we drill the better it gets. Once the infilling begins we will be in a better position to see if these smaller deposits are connected. Having said that I refer back to the Rossing mine which is an open pit mine. These deposits are spread out over a wide area but they would ideally lead to an open pit mine just like Rossing, so the deposits could be ingrained in one larger deposit.

SAGI: Of these deposits which ones do you think has the most potential and why not try to release a compliant report which incidentally all investors have been waiting for a long time which would give them confidence in holding shares for a longer time?

MIKE: Its difficult to state if one of these deposits is bigger than the other so we are concentrating on the entire warmbad find and trying to see if we can find how far it goes. We are hoping that we will find that this is a substantial deposit. We do not want to disappoint investors and this deposit is shaping out more and more like the Rossing Mine of Rio Tinto. The rock structures the same, we have alaskite granite rock, and the uranium lies in fissures its not loose but ingrained in these fissures in low concentrations. We believe that if we take the time, be patient we can have a superb find. Our base of ethics does not allow us to give half information. When we have it all we will definitely come out with all the information. The problem is that on a regular basis we continue to define these fissures. The information is a hell of a lot and we do not want to loose any of it. We need to organize it get it cohesive, understand the results and after analyzing all of this we will be able to put it into some form of readable material. We are in the middle of this process. Its ongoing as we speak.

SAGI: So lets get down to finance Mike! How much has Xemplar got in the bank? Is this enough for Xempalr to define an NI 43-101 resource. From my last read you had some 16 million dollars and based on my calculations you should have some 12 million left after last years drilling, would that be right?

MIKE: You are about there but it’s a little less after some very aggrasive drilling last year and we had to additionally pay tax and fees, we have approximately about 10 million in the bank. Due to this we have reduced our costs by concentrating on the more likely areas to define the resource as quickly as possible. That is why we are concentrating our efforts and getting the results organized.

Last year we were very aggrasive in drilling but this year we have cut down on some of the areas for two reasons; we need to first define one of the areas so our concentration is on Warmbad because this has the most likely and quicker possibilities of getting good results. Its not only about the deposit its about getting share holder value as soon as possible. Secondly we realize that we will have to raise funds sooner, so we would like to get at least one of the projects ahead and come back to the market for more finance once we can come out with concrete results. This is two fold as we are also discussing forward ventures with other parties and they are as keen as share holders to see us get this project on to higher grounds. For this reason we are getting the information that we got from the drilling last year organized and analyzed to get a better picture of the resources.

SAGI: Ok so you have 10 million dollars. Would you think that this would be enough to bring in a compliant resource…say in the next one year? Speaking of other parties who are these parties, and are the Chinese or other funds interested, and are the big miners interested or sniffing around?

MIKE: No I do not think its possible to do so for a couple of reasons. For one thing we are still defining the resource. Secondly we still require to infill the drilling we have done so far and get a more accurate assessment of the resource.

You have to understand that while many other explorers in the area went onto exploration of areas where there had already been some ground work in place, we have gone and discovered a whole new area. As such we are on uncharted territory. Though there had been regular indication of radiation we had to still go out there and look for specific spots which could give indication of a massive deposit. We think we found five to six major areas. We had good management, a great team on the ground and above all we also had a lot of luck. Its like finding a needle in a haystack. We went to find one but instead we found several. That was amazing luck. We know its there, our investors know its there, but we can’t hurry this process. Its going to take time. Everyone’s impatient and this is one thing we have no control over. In short the bigger the resource the longer its going to take to define it. (The area covers some 7000 sq km)

SAGI: Ok I see where you are going with this; a bit like Cameco, confirmed in 1988 but 30 years on we still have not seen a pound of uranium from Cigar lake.

MIKE: Cigar lake was probably discovered a lot earlier but the defining took place in 1988. Some of these mines from discoveries to actual production can take a long time. We want to get the definition done in the shortest time possible, as the process of taking from deposit to full mine is shorter in Namibia.

We do however have two factors on our side, first we have exclusivity and 100% of what ever resource we define, secondly we have the possibility of gaining licenses more quickly than in other countries. I repeat we have a lot of information that still requires processing and this is going to take time coming back from the labs, being verified and then released. Things can change very quickly based on the results we find. Our financing was helped a little by the spike we had early on when rumors regarding us being a possible take over target flew around. Xemplar did not have anything to do with that.

SAGI: Yes I was going to bring that up later but now its out lets clear this once and for all. Was Xemplar a target for take over? Secondly you did not answer the second part of the previous question which was which parties are we talking about and are the Chinese, Koreans, Japanese who have been aggressive in the Africa interested or are other major mining companies sniffing around?

MIKE: No we were not. At the time when Xemplar first released the news of its discovery of uranium Areva had just made a bid for Uramin or shortly after. We were as surprised as anyone else when the rumor came out and before we could take steps to clarify, it had got out of control. The rumor of Rio Tinto taking over came out and the rest is history. The stock price shot up and kept going up all the way to 8 dollars roughly. You also have to realize that the price of uranium was at an all time high. The interest in explorers was also getting to all time highs. We are now at the opposite end of the clock and this is reflected in the price.

It had happened we could not do anything but it did help the stock so it helped us too. It boosted our capital and so we did not need to get additional financing. Nor did we require to dilute our stock. We were ready to go and that’s exactly what we did. Instead of leasing or hireing drills we got our own, we reduced our operating costs and we could aggressively continue to drill. Sooner or later we are going to have to come back into the market. However at the present time we are happy to continue drilling and defining the resource as much as we can.

With Namibia our operating costs are lower, the weather is less of a hindrance though there are some areas where the drills will not operate in high heat. Temperatures can go as high as 50 degrees in the summer here. In some places we need to get the drills in by helicopter. All this cost money. And SAGI you are well aware that exploration is a one way street, money will continue to be expended, there is no other course. We just need the share holders and other interested parties to have confidence in the company that we do have the goods, we are expanding the deposits and once we exhaust this we will be sitting on what we can term confidently as a recognizable resource. We think its big, we see the evidence its big, we thought we could get our hands around it, but …. We are still expanding our hands and they are simply not meeting. However we learnt our lesson in late 2007 and we are not prepared to repeat the same mistakes.

The second part of your question (Pause) ….. We have had a number of companies come out and look at the work we have done. We have had discussions with several. We continue to have these discussions. We continue to find interested parties approaching us and they like what they see. I am not at liberty to discuss the details nor issue out names. This is an ongoing process, which at some point in the future we will place out announcements if any progress is made and a decision is taken. We want to get the best for the stocks holders who have put in the money, taken the risk, had faith in our management ability to come up with the goods. We want to prove you guys right. Right now we are in the process of signing confidential agreements with some of these companies.

SAGI: I read somewhere that Xemplar would have less problems with water and power. This is to do with the river and the power lines being very near to the area you are trying to define. How much of a help will that be?

MIKE: Yes that’s true. Water is major problem in Namibia. The area is hot and mainly desert this makes a major issue for both water and electricity. We have been extremely lucky because we have a major river running right next to the deposits that we have found and we also have major power lines running adjacent. To put this in perspective as to how important it is, the government of Namibia recently is considering putting up desalination plants. Each of these cost roughly US$ 500,000,000. Water is absolutely essential to any mine, without it the costs vary a lot. They have environmental issues too with desalination plants so when Xemplar has such a major water source right next to its projects this is a big boost. Add the power lines and this really helps in expediting the process of building a mine it adds intrinsic value to the whole project especially when its in Namibia.

SAGI: Ok Mike now to the big question how much do you think the rock is worth, meaning what do you think the costs of mining this rock would be per ton?

MIKE: Wow! Ok with the concentrations we have found I cannot give an accurate answer but the cost would be in the ball park figure of around US$ 40.00 per ton of rock. This will vary depending on how big the resource gets. This cost may come down as the resource continues to increase. We have to again look at the Rossing Mine for an example where it is viable with similar dilution. It produces a hell of a lot of Uranium and its profitable for Rio Tinto.

SAGI: That’s high! That does not look feasible at the present. Whats your take on that?

MIKE: With the right resource quantity it does become feasible. I would think that the price of Uranium above 60 dollars would make this a feasible level.

SAGI: Ummm Ok! Well spot prices are at around the 40 dollar mark and this does not make this project feasible; do you?

MIKE: We are still at the preliminary stages, we do not think that Uranium prices are going to stick down at this price for long. Consider the oil price when it dropped down from US$ 140 all the way to $32, did it stick at that price? That was the bottom. At the same time when the price of oil hit US$ 140 the price of uranium jumped to 120. These prices were not the contract prices SAGI.

Lets differentiate here between contract and spot. There is very little uranium that comes to the open market. Every Uranium miner needs to contract out the produce to a utility company. Companies need these contracts signed and sealed in advance. They can’t go to the market looking for uranium when they begin to run out. They need a confirmed contract clad in iron which binds the supply on a regular basis to them. Risking closing down a nuclear power plant because you ran out of uranium to run is not even printed in the books. They have to kind of make a futures contract, say three years to 8 years in advance of the supply. They fix the price based on an agreed rate usually this rate is above the spot price. Sometimes they may take the spot price to indicate and then bind that price between buyer and seller. Sometimes they both agree that the price is nowhere near reality and will agree upon a different price based on the supply and demand on the markets. These contracts are private and between two parties so they hardly ever become public as such. Once that price is set for a fixed quantity per year, you have to get that quantity out and supply. At that point it really does not matter if the price then falls 20 dollars lower or moves 40 dollars higher in the space of a month, you have a contractual agreement and that’s binding. If you can’t get that supply out to the buyer you need to buy it from another source and supply it even taking a loss.

Since we are exploring we are not worried about the contracts but we do keep an eye on the price. We think in a year if not less the price will begin to rise. At the same time our progress on the project will have moved forward as well when we come into the Southern Hemisphere winter and the heat drops a little. These contracts may begin from anywhere five years from now or a year later or three months from now it really depends on the supply and demand timings. Xemplar is no where near that process. We are not miners, we are explorers. That’s what we specialize in.

SAGI: Do you think you will turn Warmbad or any of the other projects in hand into mines. In other words will Xemplar become a miner?

MIKE: No Sagi for the time being I am inclined to think we will continue to be explorers. These projects are too big. There is very little possibility of us turning to become an independent miner especially in a specialized field as Uranium mining. That is not our job. We will try to define the resources on our land. The Warmbad, Cape Cross are all massive. We have a better chance of making money by finding the resource and selling the project on for better value for stock holders. The other way could be to hold some percentage in the operating mine but we would not be operating the mine,

SAGI: Xemplars price at 0.17 cents? What do you think? In the coming one year; Higher or lower?

MIKE: Xemplars Price fell down along with all the other explorers. Our price hit a low of 12 cents in late 2008. I don’t think we can get any lower than what the price of Xemplar is right now. Its not just Xemplars price that is so way low but every uranium explorer and producer.

The price reflects the sentimentality in the market and not the true value of the company. Its what the investor values it at not the company. Even Cameco has not gone back to its highs. We are as low as we can get and ahead there is only good news. We have a lot of stuff happening on our plate at the moment, we are just not ready to serve it because its in the processing stage. I have a feeling this year and next year will be different. My take is that the price in present value terms should be around the 35 cents to 40 cents mark. In a year, higher still and in two years we should be progressing further.

SAGI: I am concerned with the lack of exposure of Xemplar in the last one year. You gave two interviews early in 2009. Simon Tam had a conference call in early 2009. Then Nothing! We had a few press releases for the year and nothing else. Whats up with that??

MIKE: Yes we had a couple of set ups at the time. With the funds coming down and the price of the stock not moving up due to the present uranium prices we had to decide on priorities for the present and the near future. These were hard decisions! With a lack of institutional investment and a depletion in hedge funds after 2008 we saw a massive decline in investment in exploration companies generally. With gold and oil investors find this easier to invest into but with Uranium things get a little complicated with environmental and political issues added to the plate.

There are a number of nuclear power plants which are either in the development stages or the planning stages, we see a continuous increase in these projects in terms of numbers. It appears that the world is about to turn a corner and realize how important Uranium is as a commodity once more and how important it is to satisfy world power needs. The problem is that these news filtering is going to take time to get into the lime light.

I agree that we have not released that many, and not had many interviews. As an explorer we weighed our priorities and decided that if we were going to spend any money for the present we were going to do it on the exploration side as opposed to the marketing side. That’s what this is all about. We already have share holders. We are not looking to dilute our stock any further. We are focused on bringing this project to a world class level. We are getting there steadily. We have a responsibility to the stock holders and we are taking this very seriously with a longer term outlook. Our priority remains on focusing in Namibia, our priority remains in defining the boundaries of our resources. We will continue to progress with the infilling which will continue throughout this year. This will provide us with a more accurate figure on the quantity at Warmbad and Cape Cross. We would then be in a better position to go marketing and exposure would follow.

We will hopefully be having a conference call soon. At that time we will probably be able to give a much clearer picture of whats happening on the projects and the way forward.

SAGI: Bigger than Rossing? Smaller than Rossing? What do you personally think!

MIKE: We will release information as and when we can confirm it. We want the investor to be sure of the information that we give out. That it is exactly what we print and I think any good explorer is going to do that. We will be talking to major partners in the near future, we will be signing confidentiality agreements in the near future, before we do that we need to analyze all the data we have in hand we had a major management meeting and we decided that it was time to re-evaluate the project, with upto date composition of all the projects, we will also be re-evaluating all the priority targets this year and that’s a lot of work. Once all the data is in we will get a much clearer picture of how we stand. As of now we are very active on the ground and we are very active at the corporate level. We are talking to interested parties.

SAGI: Ok let me rephrase, how big a deposit do you think you need to compare it to a class deposit?

MIKE: I would think we would need at least 50 million pounds. That would be ideal but we have several different areas and for us all of these have potential. That would make it a viable class mineral deposit. You have to remember Warmbad isn’t the only area we have. We think all of these areas are great potential elephants but it’s the classic case of eating an elephant.

One bite at a time!

We hope that investors will be patient enough with us and we will continue to try and get the job done as fast as we can. Ideally we would want a combined resource each of approximately of 50 million or above poundage.

SAGI: Is Xemplar willing to take on private placements?

MIKE: No we are not at the present time. We could look for share holders who may be willing to sell some of their shares but the company is not willing to dilute shares at this present moment.

Mikes phone at that point got cut off. The lights were still out in Nairobi and they were nearly kicking the door in now. A few minutes later Mike called back and we thought that there was enough information here. I mentioned that my cell phone battery had run out. The power was still off. If needing clarification on any of the points than we would communicate by email within a day or so.

I thanked Mike for the time he had given and the secretary mentioned that we had been on the phone for much longer than the prescribed half hour more in the region of two hours. I am very grateful to Mike Megrum, poor chap had to wake up at 5.30 am to get the phone through. Thank you. These guys work hard. Real hard.

I will appreciate it if readers will pass on some comments. Questions that you might want to raise I can forward to Mike though there are no guarantees that they will be answered. However I am sure Mike Megrum will make every effort to do so.

Thank you.
    SAGI

19. SAGI

COFFEE WITH CARROT HEAD!

MAY BLUES, CONFUSED LOOKS, RECENT IRRITATIONS & BACK WITH FUNDAMENTALS.

Often April pushes the markets higher. April often precedes to a correction, usually one that follows in May. Often this will not happen to all stocks but to a majority and even the strongest get taken with that wave. Many investors look at strong fundamentals, a strong market, a strong demand and continue to hold through many of these corrections. It took a strong heart to hold through the 2008 avalanche.

The question is; Not if you were able to hold down but have faith enough to average down at the bottom in those stocks that you held? I could not, did not and sat right through most of the stocks while they crashed all around me. One simple reason was that Uranium stocks had started declining long before we had the crash. By the time the crash did hit it was too late to sell and most had their heads banged so often that they were not willing to take chances and rightly so. What was the point of risking good money after the bad?

There were not guarantees as to what was going to happen next. Most had considered a 1929 scenario including my self. We expected many of these stocks never to come up to the level they had been or take more than a few years to do so. That is exactly what is happening thus far. A number of explorers are dead. Uranium stocks really have not jumped back to their all time highs and moved on. We expect that they may move back to their all time highs in a few years from now but certainly we have no idea if they will surpass their all time highs in the near future. Let me reiterate; Stocks like uranium related jump in groups, with producers moving first, smaller producers, good explorers or those with confirmed resources and finally every thing that has even a notion of a connection will move up. At that point when this last stage happens it is probably a good idea to begin reducing your investment in uranium stocks, take the money and sit on the side lines. However that is not going to happen in the near future for one thing they are nearly at their all time lows. Explorers are at definite all time lows. This is not the case so far of selling, rather a scenario of contrarians thinking about BUYing . Explorers are many, explorers with some indications of uranium, fewer, with confirmed resources, fewer still and practically a handful that are producers. These producers are not expensive as yet and these should already have a place in ones portfolio. We go in cycles. When a cycle is over another one may begin, one perhaps that is new contains new stocks or even new sectors.

I have been mentioning that there has been a subtle movement which is positive on the stocks on a longer term scale. This has been the benefit of fundamentals in Uranium however the recent signing of START (Stretigic Arms reduction treaty) has been on investors mind from the point of view as to what will happen to the enriched uranium that will eventually come out of the disassembled warheads? One way to play this in terms of risk is to perhaps invest in USU (USEC inc) which was responsible for the dilution of such material from Russia in the past and possibly may continue to do so. USU has been in a nice up trend since mid March. USU is currently in over bought territory so its not a good entry point but something one should keep in mind over the next few months. This is not the case for others; such as MGA hit a low of 55 cents and then began to climb up, now dropping a little. UUU hit around 2.60 and began to climb up, now dropping. PDN hit a low of 3.45 and began to climb up and now dropping as well, there are many more. Do you see a trend here with the smaller producers as well as explorers? On the shorter term these same stocks have begun to fall again so there may be a time in the future for a better BUY period. The sector leaders in terms of pure plays are ARVF.PK, CCO, UUU, PDN these four lead the sector. They have to be watched more closely if one is looking to get into Uranium. The problem is the month of April that usually sees highs reached in sectors followed by May which sees drops. Have investors anticipated this earlier than usual? Often this is the time when we see a downward trend set in. It’s a scary time. I am reminded of that age old phrase; “Sell in May- come back on labour day”; in many years this applies. Usually we see the beginning of such down trends begin in May and bottom out at the end of June and middle of July, a kind of languishing period than begins which begins another upward movement somewhere between end of July to the beginning of or middle of, September. Consider also that usually when we have a low January the year usually follows. That was not the case last year but it could be this year. One has to be aware of this.

I was recently reading an article by a famous trader. In it the trader makes reference to another trader who said something that we have all probably read at one time or another in that the prices we see today cannot be judged based on news currently that is occurring as the prices are a reflection of something that will occur in the future. Indeed to prove this if we look at the charts prior to the 9/11 incident we may see something interesting happening. Ideally this rule applies for occurrences that will happen several months in the future. This rule did not occur strictly with the Dow in 2001. There appears to be no anticipation of such an event occurring. Had this happened we would have seen a general decline well ahead of the event. So such events are not always catered for nor indications provided. One book that I read did mention that there was selling off the Friday before the event. The Dow did drop roughly 200 points the previous week perhaps as an indication taken by a few that there was a situation developing. There is no voodoo or anything odd about this. I would suspect that were we to look for technical indications these would show reasons as to why one may have begun selling off. A high was reached on June 6th where a pivot point was achieved where the high of the day was higher than the high of the previous day but the close of the that day was lower than the close of the previous day. This was the turning point for that year. http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=^DJI&a=00&b=1&c=2001&d=08&e=30&f=2001&g=d&z=66&y=66 almost to the day three months to the last Friday before 9/11. At that pivot point technical trend followers may have either sold out or perhaps on individual indications moved out or perhaps even shorted the markets. This was the high of that year though I have not looked at all the daily prices but I suspect that was the pivot point for the year. Going back to the last five years there is a strong resistance point at 11252 mark on the Dow, where a correction may occur around this area. This may take a while perhaps in June or earlier. So far we have seen a steady rise with minor corrections occurring, but at this point is 0.618 often a strong point of resistance. If this is surpassed we may see the shorts increase approaching the trend reversal position of 14225 area. For this to occur we would have to see at least one intermediate reversal perhaps not a big one but still a reversal for the trend to remain intact.

A lot of individuals are interested in gold. I do not follow gold to the extent that many others do. I have been a long time holder and what little I have remains. The other investments have to be on paper as this is my attack capital. Still my two bits are that gold has held on the higher side for a lot longer than I expected it to. Its within a very strong resistance area of around the 1105 zone as I recall last. However in the last week it jumped out of this and moved strongly towards 1150. I am still inclined to think that we may see a decline to the around the 850 to 750 mark. It should but it is not. Sounds really like I know what I am talking about (hic!) Surpassing the 1200 mark at this point in time would be surprising but it can happen. Still today we are sitting at 1150. As usual I am wrong about this. However its strong and has made a new base which has remained range bound. Palladium has been the surprise for the year. I had expected it to jump to around the 700 mark but is has not. Still it has been the highest mover this year. A 25% gain is really good. Not usual at all, then again these are unusual times are they not?

Back to Uranium. There is no indication that we have begun our upward movement except to see my stock list loss reducing in an increasing number. A few more of these jumps and we will possibly have a trend. The good stocks have begun to move up. UUU, PDN, DML, MGA and even the whacky PNP all showed signs of life last week. This week opened in the positive and indications are that we are in an upward trend and yet mid week we see a move downwards. AEE.AX, and a number of others have also jumped up and are continuing to show signs of life. I think it will be time soon for me to average in to some of the better stocks. There are others that I am content to leave outside and wait to see if they are going to progress. Some of the stocks I own are outright losses. I do not even mention them here. If I do I am usually cussing them with all my accumulated, French, English, Kiswahili, German, Spanish, Urdu, Pushtu, Hindi; vocabulary in no particular order. Usually the family runs for cover everytime I see these; once very promising stocks floating like something that I would usually see at the bottom of my loo. Perhaps I have been too strong on the words so I apologize. Usually when I see this sort of movement it is followed by a coup de grace and off with the head of da profits and once more languishing in the doldrums. There is only one tinsy winsy problem the leader of the pack is going the other way. I refer to Cameco which is moving downwards as opposed to all the others mentioned.

I like to see all the stocks move in tandem led by the leaders. Well the chairman is moving in one direction the rest of the board is moving in the opposite. That is an anomaly and one or the other has to be dragged back. I suspect it will be downwards and we will see other Uranium stocks follow Cameco. Cameco recently released news that the cost of its uranium would be higher (See posting made earlier in the week) so to top the cigar lake problem its running costs for the mine will also be higher, this does not mean that its not viable even at current prices but it will certainly mean that they need to do some recalculations on the price they can offer that uranium at. Analysts are mentioning a downgrade to US25.00. Currently Cameco is trading around the 27 mark. I have a feeling that stocks like Strathmore, Acap, Dennison, Paladin, and Uranium 1 and Hathor are going to jump sooner or later. I am hoping sooner.

I am also keeping an eye on ^VIX, FAZ and SKF the latter two are looking well over sold so could this be the time for a correction and for these bear stocks to begin their upward movement?

One of the things that irritates me more than anything else on this planet is the ability of some people to pick on something that one knows you are sensitive to and twist it. Its their nature I guess, they just love to do this. I like having my dinner quietly. It’s the one time I do not want to think about anything nor do I want to discuss anything. You have your plate and I will have mine. It’s a basic right that I value. So when anyone decides to mess around with that part of my routine I get really uptight. To the point that I prefer not to eat. The other irritating thing about this particular routine is when some one takes interest in your food more than their own and impulsively begins to pick on bits and pieces of your food. This is really irritating and distasteful. Funnily enough they do not seem to think so and find it offensive if you tell them off. Where do people get the idea that’s its fine to intrude into other people’s dishes or personal spaces for that matter? I equate this to seeing a rat or a cockroach on your plate. Be it a relative or some stranger does not make a difference (yes some of them are rats and yet others are cockroaches). I hate this attitude that people have and what’s more irritating is when they look hurt by you telling them off or pointing out that its offensive. I am sorry I have never been culturally neutral when it comes to eating. The muslims in certain areas will have a common dish from where several individuals will eat. While this might be tolerable in their own places of residences it would not be in many others. In some ways I am like that character; “Adrian Monk”, a little quirky perhaps. Tolerance is acceptable to a degree, but beyond that one has to call it a day.

We all have various personal levels of acceptance and cultures. For example Muslims will not accept Pork, and Hindus will not accept Beef. Others yet will not accept any meat at all. Others yet any animal products not even milk. I believe that one has to respect these wishes and understand them. As human beings we are gifted with the ability to tolerate- Use it. Do not go out of your way to irritate or offend anyone. No one will respect you for it; not the offended nor the casual observer. Respect everyone around you, be humble and do not confront unless that is the final option. Be tolerant of various members of the family from the smallest to the eldest. By respecting them you will gain your own respect, while responsibility is taken, respect is earned.

This is the year of El Nino. The phenomenon that happens once every 7 years. A year when unusual weather patterns occur. We saw a mad extra snowy winter in the US and Canada. We may now see another occurrence of high temperatures and heat waves in the coming summer. There are no guarantees of such an occurrence but should that happen we may see higher gas prices as the air conditioners come on for the duration of the intensive time. At the same time places like New Zealand and Australia go into their winter from May. A kind of reversal. New Zealand uses gas like many other countries apart from hydro electric to warm houses during that time. Can we expect higher gas pieces for the shorter period? Perhaps. The middle east may also have a mega hot summer leading to heavy use of air conditioners. Consider watching gas futures and HNU as well as other ETF’s.

On the other side there appears to be an oil glut. A story on the oil tankers and their hire prices are about to come down. So could we see prices moving down for the short term? Hummm and yet we see oil climbing further.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a_TtRUCFw9p4&pos=7

This week we also saw the first sales of the Apple Ipad. I really cannot understand what all the halabaloo is about. It’s a touch pad, similar to several different ones released by PC manufacturers such as Toshiba and dell. Apart from that it does not house a single USB port. It certainly is not replacing the lap top as yet. So what gives why the big bang. Its chip is less powerful and so are we looking at a new niche being created in the market. Who fits to this unit? It sits between…. I have no idea as to where it sits. Humph I am an old fart what the hell do I care. As far as the Ipad getting Apple shares a boost??? Again I fail to see how this is going to succeed in doing that. I need a DVD player on that, a USB port or two and I need it to be multi functioning. Be able to load up and take dictation. Does the damn thing do that? No idea. Customers are already complaining that the WIFI does not connect well on these units. I would wait to see what exactly this damn thing does and if it has any value.

Rare earths are in the news again. This time with Quest coming out with some great news where they have expanded their inferred resource in the B zone. I posted the article and full details on this link again; http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Quests-BZone-REE-Deposit-ccn-559190004.html?x=0&.v=1 Quest continues to move in leaps and bounds and one must be careful at this point. Judgment will be required as to if it turns whether this would be a continuous pivot point or is it the real Mc Coy. So far its sitting at a resistance point of 4.19. I gave a BUY signal two days ago. So it was not a bad call; now please await the SELL signal. An inevitability. This baby is big and blowing they are coming up with the goods and I would buy in right now- No wait! I bought in a while back sorry! But the stock has not gone far enough yet and I think it has a while to go. Here we go another 10% jump today. Damn QUC.V is flying away and for once I am in it. That’s a change hopefully I will cash in but for now am holding tight. Oops! Its now in the overbought position but its still moving up a little slower but the volumes remain good. For those interested AVL is also moving but RES has declined a little. Watch these three. While we do have a decline on Friday closing form QUC it may be a continuous pivot point or it could be a turning point, at this time its too early to tell. Some thing to note is throughout the sector on Friday all RE stocks were showing RED bars.

Palladium is the highest mover in terms of price this year with a 25% gain. What a rush! Compared to Platinum , Silver and gold, palladium has done rather well this year. Splendid! Now will someone keep an eye on it and bother to take profits if it does begin to drop? I would step out at 500.00 wait for another entry point. This is good money.

Yesterday the Mrs. dragged me to a friends pre wedding party. Usually; “As grumpy old men are”, I hate going to these social events. I was pleasantly surprised when I found out the fine young thing was getting married to a Swedish gentleman. I was dragged to it because the poor chap felt out of place in a multitude of women of all races and colors clucking and clacking away with the gusto of several hundred chickens. We got our selves a couple of glasses of wine and moved out of the house as we were completely ignored while, the bride to be, got the majority of the attention. Conversation moved to the attitude of the Swedes towards mining eventually and I was surprised to hear that the Swedes are not pro Uranium. While they do own Nuclear power plants but they are disinclined to mine any uranium. Being a social kingdom, the Swedes have a similar system in place like the Brits with a well organized health service and major taxation. They seem a contented lot who do not believe in mining uranium or oil for that matter. This was perplexing. While one persons opinion cannot be taken for granted representing the entire Kingdom, it made me wonder as to the chances for our three uranium explorers of ever getting their uranium deposits to see the light of day. The Swedes are not interested in putting up additional nuclear power stations either. This usually happens with welfare states where the people all go green forgetting that green takes a back step when the cost electricity goes up. Heating is a major cost in the Balkans and countries surrounding the former Soviet Union and Russia. While Finland is more pro Uranium, Sweden appears not to be. The three companies involved there in Uranium are Continental precious minerals, Mawson resources (also in Spain and Finland) and Aura energy which has interests in Mauritania as well which is in West Africa- A god forsaken country made up of mad Touregs. Whacky lot. http://www.mineweb.co.za/mineweb/view/mineweb/en/page674?oid=102266&sn=Detail&pid=1 Here is a link that gives their latest report on their finds in Mauritania. The above discussion make me think that Continental prices may remain low as long as the Swedes do not change their attitude, no matter how much Uranium they have found, will, for the foreseeable future remain exactly where it is now. The Swedish premier in Sept 2009 said it was a possibility to have mining in Northern Sweden. Possibility does not mean probability. So we can have a long wait before this happens. While they have revoked their Nuclear phase out policy its going to take a while before they give permission for anything else. I believe that Continental is a really long term hold so wait for the price to drop before you buy in. Having a lot of a resource does not necessarily mean its going to be a giant. Sometimes the largest crackers fizzle out and the market is never wrong on the price. There is usually a story to tell, just has not seen the light of day. Patience!

While I have always maintained that West Africa is a no go area unless you can corrupt several governments because during the life of the mine several coups are liable to happen as one just did in the Niger. Areva is big in Niger and in the process of putting up one the largest uranium mines there. I hate West and Central Africa. They just cannot be trusted. You can buy politicians out there but you will have to keep buying new ones all the time. Political instability is a pain. Areva is finding that out in short order. Cameco’s good news turns to bad news just as quick. A month or two ago they announced that Cigar lake was safe and would now be in the process of getting ready to start production now the cost analysis has gone high and instead of the cost being about 15 dollars we are getting much higher figures. Start up dates have moved form 2013 to 2017, So where does that leave Cameco? Its not the end of the world, things change within a year and besides Mc Arthur still continues to produce.

Cameco is not in a hurry with Cigar lake. I would assume that Cameco may bid its time in order for the price of Uranium to move up. It provides a better margin for Cigar than it got for Mc Arthur, some higher stable price will help. Is Cameco a BUY? It is for long term holders. I would suggest you wait for better entry points if possible especially during any forthcoming corrections a shopping list would help. Cameco is definitely a long term hold and so is Areva. Both together are the biggest pure plays in the Nuclear field. If one requires to hedge their bets than it has to be with Rio Tinto and BHP Billton. Both have large uranium mines as well as other projects so do not expect that their price will move up based on Uranium prices, its akin to a baby trying to push a sumo wrestler. In the overall picture Uranium plays a very small role in the two companies revenue. The fact that Cameco’s Cigar lake is geared towards production in 2017, is perhaps rather long term bullish for other producers, near producers, and even good explorers. It means that in the shorter term if uranium demand were to go up factoring in any new power stations coming on line in the coming 7 years these will certainly not be serviced by Uranium from Cigar. The million dollar question is who will be in a position to supply these various new stations that will come up. Cameco was involved in the dilution of enriched uranium form Russia as well so START may have consequences and Cigar may have been delayed because the treaty was signed.

Current statistics form Green peace paint a dreary picture of the supply of Uranium. http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/groups/north-kent/blog/nuclear-power

The increase in energy consumption is predicted at around 44% world wide by 2030. http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/ieo/world.html

Here are the latest statistics on power stations which are under construction, and those that are proposed as well the demand for Uranium. Do the math! http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/reactors.html

There is an urgent need to get more mines into production as soon as possible. It is likely that companies will either get government financing indirectly or that financing will be more relaxed in reflection to the need for a greater demand, or perhaps a direct involvement of power generators in the mining sector which has occurred in several different companies. Significant deposits located where government policy is not a hindrance are more likely to see direct investment. While it is desired to have concentrated deposits another factor of how expensive or risky these deposits can be to mine as in the case of Cigar lake may have to be factored in. Highly political instable or nationalistic attitudes will also be areas that may be avoided. Larger long term outlooks will probably also play a role. With Canada recently opening its gates to outside investment and Namibia already showing an openness as well as Botswana these are some of the countries that will be looked more at among others. There are some major deposits out there without government interference. All they require is financing and a short cut to licenses. The list is very short and very distinguished. The horses I would consider; (Drum roll please….)

Producers. CCO.TO, PDN.TO, UUU.TO, ARVCF.PK

Good explorers. DML.TO, MGA.TO, HAT.TO, FRG.TO, GGG.AX, JNN.V, ACB.AX, PXP.V, STM,V,

Remote high risk. CZQ.TO, XE.V

I take your leave with this article http://blog.vici.ro/2010/04/07/uranium-to-head-north-of-500pound-james-finch/

Have a good and peaceful weekend.

SAGI:cool2:

20. SAGI

STOCK ALERT:QUC.V HAS GIVEN A DOWN TREND SIGNAL. PLEASE SELL AND CUT LOSSES IF YOU HAVE ANY PROFITS NOW IS THE TIME TO TAKE THEM.
    SAGI

21. SAGI

Canadian Solar gets solar project contract offers
    Canadian Solar gets contract offers for solar projects
    Buzz up! 0
    Print
    Companies:Canadian Solar Inc.
    Related Quotes
    Symbol Price Change
    CSIQ 24.26 +0.02

On Tuesday April 13, 2010, 10:07 am EDT
    NEW YORK (AP) -- Canadian Solar Inc. on Tuesday said it received contract offers for 176 megawatts of solar power projects from the Ontario Power Authority under Ontario's new program to encourage use of renewable energy.

Financial terms of the contract offers were not disclosed.

The maker of solar power products said that once it gets final approval under the Canadian province's Green Energy and Green Economy Act, it expects the projects will be completed in 2011 and 2012.

The company plans to establish a state-of-the-art module manufacturing facility in Ontario by the first quarter of 2011, which is expected to employ about 500 people. Canadian Solar said it will supply ground mount systems that meet the program's content requirements for 2010 and 2011.

Once final approval is obtained, the Ontario Power Authority will buy 100 percent of the power and renewable energy credits from the Canadian Solar projects under the new feed-in tariff program.

Shares of Canadian Solar rose 29 cents to $24.53 in morning trading Tuesday.

22. SAGI

A Big Upgrade for General Moly
    By Dave Mock
    April 12, 2010 | Comments (0)

Recs

Email
    Print
    GMO
    General Moly
    Rate GMO
    CAPS Rating 5/5 Stars
    $3.56 $-0.03 (-0.84%)

More about GMO
    Beating Back the Short Attack
    The March Mayhem Effect
    BROWSE ALL GMO ARTICLES
    Disney Buys Marvel!

David Gardner called it. He’s up 1,334%! See what David’s recommending that you buy NEXT.
    Click Here Now
    After spending much of the past year at a four-star rank, General Moly (NYSE: GMO) has impressed enough top-performing members of our 160,000-strong Motley Fool CAPS community to climb its way back to five stars. A total of 420 members have given their opinion on the molybdenum miner, with many of them offering analysis and commentary explaining the recent optimism.

Many CAPS members are bullish on the outlook for molybdenum demand. The deal that General Moly recently cut with Chinese firm Hanlong Mining to secure funding for its Mt. Hope project has many investors more confident that General Moly can ramp up production of the high-strength steel component.

The Mt. Hope project in Nevada has a massive amount of molybdenum reserves and is expected to produce around 40 million pounds for the first five years, putting General Moly's production between that of top producer Freeport McMoRan's (NYSE: FCX) 53 million pounds and Rio Tinto's (NYSE: RTP) roughly 25 million pounds of production in 2009.

General Moly expects strong cash flows from Mt. Hope deals already in place with companies such as ArcelorMittal (NYSE: MT).

China's soaring demand for metals has been a big positive for iron ore miners like Vale (NYSE: VALE), BHP Billiton (NYSE: BHP), and Rio Tinto, and the country has become a major molybdenum consumer as well. In addition to the demand growth expected in China, analysts expect India and Europe to grow their appetite for steel alloys including molybdenum.

Molybdenum's price has seen increasing strength in recent quarters and is forecast to continue rising over the next couple of years, according to JPMorgan analysts. Molybdenum producers Thompson Creek Metals (NYSE: TC) also anticipate continuing strength in the market for the metal component.

With its Mt. Hope project expected to add a large amount of value to General Moly and the company aiming to be a top pure-play moly producer, CAPS members like the possibilities for above-average growth in the stock.

Do you think General Moly deserves its five-star status? Add your thoughts in the comments box below on this page, or head over to CAPS to rate the company and check out all the information and opinions the community offers, absolutely free.

23. SAGI

France Signs Deals To Revive Italy's Nuclear Energy
    4/9/2010 11:37 AM ET

TOP MARKET NEWS

McConnell Voices Opposition To Democrats' Financial Reform Bill

Stocks Seeing Volatility But Remain Mostly Negative - U.S. Commentary

Goodyear Tire Promotes COO Richard Kramer To CEO - Update

McCormick Expects 9%-11% Earnings Growth In FY11; To Resume Stock Repurchases - Update

Stocks Moving Modestly Lower In Mid-Morning Trade - U.S. Commentary
    (RTTNews) - French nuclear giants have signed seven agreements with Italian engineering firms for the development of nuclear energy by its southern neighbor.

The deals were signed in Paris Friday during a bilateral summit for extension of Franco-Italian nuclear co-operation, presided over by Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi and French President Nicolas Sarkozy.

Speaking at a joint press conference, Berlusconi said signing of the agreements "will bring our countries closer together."

Italy, which is a net energy importer acquiring a substantial share of its electricity from France, aims to begin constructing nuclear power stations by 2013, and produce a quarter of its nuclear energy power by 2020.

A ban imposed by the Italian government on the construction of nuclear power plants after the 1986 Chernobyl disaster in Ukraine was lifted in September 2008 by Berlusconi.

Under an accord signed last year, France agreed to help Italy rebuild its nuclear energy sector.

France, the world's second largest producer of atomic energy, is to benefit significantly from the contracts.

French nuclear technology supplier Areva, the world's biggest nuclear reactor maker, said it had signed three agreements with Italian partners, including one on the construction of four new-generation EPR reactors.

Plans for a joint Franco-Italian Army brigade specializing in mountain warfare were also unveiled at the summit.

Agreements over defense cooperation in satellites and naval operations and a series of accords opening the way to cooperation between French national rail operator SNCF and the Italy's Ferrovie dello Stato were also signed.

by RTT Staff Writer

For comments and feedback: contact editorial@rttnews.com

24. SAGI

Nuclear power industry enters new growth era
    Last Updated(Beijing Time):2010-04-14 14:19
    By Qi Hui and Jing Yi

In 2009, China's completed investment on nuclear power infrastructure increased by 74.91 percent than that of last year, accordingly, China has become the country that has the largest scale of nuclear power construction in the world. In the context of transforming the development mode of economics, nuclear power has drawn more and more attentions due to its safety, cleanness and high efficiency.

"In recent years, China's energy demand has kept increasing. In order to meet the energy demand, especially since characters of nuclear power, such as safety, cleanness and high efficiency have been recognized, China's nuclear power industry has witnessed a rapid development." Introduced by Tang Zide, an expert of Committee of Experts of State Nuclear Power Technology Corp., Ltd. In 2009, China's completed investment on nuclear power infrastructure increased by 74.91 percent than that of last year, accordingly, China has become the country that has the largest scale of nuclear power construction in the world.

However, behind the rapid development, will the overheating phenomenon companion? For this, Tang Zide expressed that China has nailed down three-step development strategy on nuclear power. Currently, the effect is remarkable, especially in terms of the development of the third generation nuclear power in 2009, from pouring the first pot of concrete to construction and lifting modules, almost all of them are under scheduled steps.

What's more, China has made an overall plan and distribution on nuclear power, and conducted examination and approval system. When a project has been submitted, it can not be approved the government until the assessment on six aspects, for example, plant location, nuclear safety, environment and so on, was passed and no repeated construction appears.

"At present, it is in the important phase for the innovative development of nuclear power industry. To realize the improvement on both quantity and quality of nuclear power, what need to be done does not only involve technical innovation, but also involve further deepening nuclear power system reform, building up an independent development-based nuclear power industry and a united technical standard system, so as to improve the international competitive strength of China's nuclear industry." expressed by Tang Zide.

Referring to the practice of implementing independent strategy on China's third generation of nuclear power, Tang Zide expressed that, firstly, the independent development of nuclear power shall be expedited. It is of strategically signification to the national economy and the people's livelihood. To be a nuclear power king in the world, China must develop self-independent nuclear power technologies. Secondly, to expedite the independent development of nuclear power, systematic reform shall be deepened further. Thirdly, to introduce, digest, absorb and re-innovate the third generation of nuclear power technologies is a huge and complex project, which relates to various aspects, such as government, production, study and research. We shall grasp favorable opportunities, integrate industrial resources, prepare well on system as soon as possible, and ensure China's nuclear power industry can develop safely, orderly and soundly. Thirdly, for the systematic reform on nuclear power, we shall take the improvement of the whole industry's international competitive strength as the target. In the level of the government, what shall be done is to continuously perfect strategic guidance, control and safety supervising systems. In the level of the industry, what shall be done is to fasten the form of such an industrial system on nuclear power, that is, "definite specialty division, and prominent synergistic effect".

"According to the target, by the year of around 2017, China's nuclear power technical system will be established basically, and the development of nuclear power will truly step into a golden period." Tang Zide said with full confidence.

The government work report of this year pointed out that what shall be done is to vigorously develop low carbon technologies, promote high efficient energy-saving technologies, actively develop new energy and renewable energy, and reinforce the construction of intelligent power grid.

"In the new year, in accordance with the central government's thread of carrying through scientific outlook of development and expediting the transform of economic development mode, the energy industry shall take the expedition of the transform of development mode as the first work. The industry shall encircle the promise that China has made on Copenhagen Climate Change Conference to the world, focus on expediting the development of renewable energy and nuclear energy, expedite energy structural adjustment, eliminate laggard productivity, reinforce international cooperation, strengthen scientific and technical development on energy, and so on." Recently, Zhang Guobao, Director of National Energy Bureau told the reporter.

Tang Zide expressed that, currently, China's nuclear industry is in an important strategic opportunity period. China has officially issued Mid-and-long-run Development Plan on Nuclear Power, and the future development range of nuclear power is very huge. What's more, in the whole production chain, the carbon emission of nuclear power is almost zero, which is difficult to realize for other new energy resources. Therefore, nuclear power is an important selection in order to develop low carbon economy and new energy.

"Among those new energy resources, China's wind power has developed rapidest over the last few years. But during the development, many problems that cannot be solved with existing technologies have emerged, such as the stability, intermittence and high cost of power generation. But nuclear power can be developed economically, stably and safely with large scale and without regional restriction. Where is short of energy, a nuclear power station can be established there. At present, most of China's nuclear power stations are set up in coastal areas, but since this year, nuclear power station will be set up in China's inland areas successively. Presently, those applications that intending to set up nuclear power stations in Hunan, Hubei and Jiangxi provinces have been approved." said Tang Zide.

Although China's nuclear power industry has witnessed remarkable development over the past 20 years, compared with international level, a large gap still exists. Currently, the proportion of China's nuclear power is less than 2 percent, while the average proportion of the international nuclear power is around 15 percent of the total power generation volume. China's nuclear power industry has a very huge space for development. Therefore, China has also reinforced the force and speed on developing nuclear power industry. As introduced by Zhang Guobao, currently, China has fixed on the expedition of developing nuclear power industry, but the speed will be controlled at "low initially and fast later", so as to lay a more solid and safe foundation. Last year, six reactors were approved for starting construction, and several extra ones are planned for approval in 2010.

At the National Energy Work Conference held at the beginning of this year, it has been definitely put forward that in 2010, China will actively promote nuclear power construction, research and adjust mid-and-long development plan on nuclear power, expedite the development of nuclear power in coastal areas, and vigorously promote nuclear power projects in China's inland areas. In the future ten years, China's nuclear power industry will show a rapid development trend. By 2020, the installed capacity of nuclear power is expected to reach 75 million KW. At that time, the proportion of the installed capacity of nuclear power will be improved from the current 2 percent to around 5 percent in the total installed capacity of power across China.

25. SAGI

China ’Power’ Over Metals for Smart Bombs Prompts U.S. Hearing
    Share Business ExchangeTwitterFacebook| Email | Print | A A A
    By Peter Robison and Gopal Ratnam

April 15 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. lawmakers called for a hearing after a government report exposed potential “vulnerabilities” for the American military because of its extensive use of Chinese metals in smart bombs, night-vision goggles and radar.

China controls 97 percent of production of materials known as rare earth oxides, giving it “market power” over the U.S., the Government Accountability Office said in the report obtained by Bloomberg News before its public release on April 14.

U.S. Representative Ike Skelton, chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, told reporters in Washington he would call for an inquiry to discuss the report. California Representative Howard McKeon, the top Republican on the panel, backed Skelton’s call.

“We are aware of China’s attempt to monopolize this type of material but there are alternatives to that,” Skelton, a Missouri Democrat, said April 14 without elaborating.

The materials -- found in General Dynamics Corp.’s M1A2 Abrams tank and Aegis SPY-1 radar made by Lockheed Martin Corp. -- are so irreplaceable that suppliers to military equipment makers could be buying from China for years to come, the GAO said.

The Pentagon is studying how to increase domestic availability of rare earth elements “through developing new sources, re-energizing previous domestic sources” and adding the material to the national stockpile program, Defense Department spokesman Colonel David Lapan said April 14 in an e- mail. The department’s report on the issue will be completed by September and will examine “how to better prepare for future vulnerabilities.”

Report Released

A spokesman for Lockheed, based in Bethesda, Maryland, didn’t respond to requests to comment on the study, which was posted on the GAO’s Web site April 14 after Bloomberg News reported on the findings. A spokesman for General Dynamics of Falls Church, Virginia, said he couldn’t immediately comment.

The issue gained attention last year when China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology said supplies were running short of two rare earth elements, also in demand for wind turbines and hybrid cars. The ministry’s press office didn’t respond to faxed questions asking for comment.

“China is a rapidly rising military and economic power and the fact is that they cornered the market on these rare earth metals that are essential for a lot of our advanced weapons systems as well as a lot of manufacturing in the United States,” Representative Mike Coffman, a Colorado Republican, who asked for the GAO report, said April 14 in an interview on Bloomberg Television. “We need to move aggressively on this issue now before it’s too late.”

China Quotas

China established domestic production quotas on rare earth materials and decreased export quotas, increasing prices, the GAO report said. The nation also increased export taxes to a range of 15 percent to 25 percent, raising prices for non- Chinese competitors, it said.

Shortages of some elements “already caused some kind of weapon system production delay,” the GAO said, citing a 2009 National Defense Stockpile report.

The term “rare earths” refers to a group of 17 chemically similar metallic elements, including lanthanum, cerium, neodymium, europium and yttrium. While they’re actually relatively abundant in the earth’s crust, finding deposits significant enough to mine is less common, the U.S. Geological Survey says.

China, the countries that made up the former Soviet Union and the U.S. have the largest reserves.

California Mine

A U.S. mine in Mountain Pass, California, owned by Molycorp Minerals LLC, was once the world’s dominant producer. It closed a separation plant in 1998 after regulatory scrutiny of its wastewater line and suspended mining in 2002, the GAO said.

As mining lapsed, so did companies that turned the ore into metals found throughout U.S. weapons systems, the GAO said. Magnequench International Inc., a maker of neodymium magnets, closed an Indiana plant in 2003 and moved equipment to China.

By the end of 2005, magnet makers in Kentucky and Michigan also closed.

“Government and industry officials told us that where rare earth materials are used in defense systems, the materials are responsible for the functionality of the component and would be difficult to replace without losing performance,” the GAO report said.

It cited several specific weapons systems, including the M1A2 Abrams tank, which has a navigation system that uses samarium cobalt magnets with samarium metal from China; neodymium magnets from China in the Hybrid Electric Drive propulsion on the DDG-51 Navy destroyers built by Northrop Grumman Corp. and General Dynamics; and Lockheed Martin’s Aegis SPY-1 radar, also on DDG-51 destroyers, containing samarium cobalt magnets that will need to be replaced during its 35-year lifetime.

Rare Earths Study

Coffman, a former U.S. Marine who serves on the House Armed Services Committee, inserted an amendment into the fiscal 2010 defense spending bill requesting the study. The GAO was required to determine which defense systems are dependent on rare earth metals. The report was due by April 1.

Molycorp, based in Coffman’s home state in Greenwood Village, Colorado, and backed by shareholders including Resource Capital Funds, Pegasus Capital Advisors LP and Traxys North America, plans to raise $450 million to $500 million to resume mining by 2012.

Even if it does, the U.S. would still lack companies to process the metals, the GAO said. It may take two to five years to develop a pilot plant to refine oxides to metal, and foreign companies own patents over neodymium magnets that don’t expire until 2014, the report said.

Rebuilding U.S. Supply

Rebuilding a U.S. rare earth supply chain may take up to 15 years, the GAO said, citing industry estimates. That is dependent on infrastructure investment, developing new technologies and acquiring patents, it said.

Developing new U.S. sources of the metals may take “enormous investment and time,” Dan Slane, chairman of the Washington-based U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission, said April 14 in a telephone interview. “Time is of the essence because the situation is going to get worse” as China’s domestic consumption of the material rises, he said.

To contact the reporters on this story: Peter Robison in Seattle on robison@bloomberg.net; Gopal Ratnam in Washington on Gratnam1@bloomberg.net.

Last Updated: April 14, 2010 18:40 EDT

26. SAGI

A SELL signal was initiated for QUC.V over recent news where the price had moved rapidly. However it appears that a continuous pivot point was achieved which means that the stock may be preparing another attempt to assent. Please be aware of this. This could indicate a BUY during the course of this week. SAGI

27. SAGI

Bloomberg
    Canada Loses Status as Biggest Uranium Producer After 17 Years
    April 13, 2010, 8:22 AM EDT
    MORE FROM BUSINESSWEEK

Uranium May Have ‘Hyper’ Price Run, Uranium Energy Corp Says
    Rosatom’s Kirienko Says Uranium Bank to Expand Market (Update1)
    Nuclear Power Beats Coal, Gas When Lending Costs Low, IEA Says
    BG, Eni-led Venture Appeals Kazakhstan Tax Evasion Convictions
    Saint Vincent Files Bankruptcy in New York City (Update1)
    STORY TOOLS
    e-mail this story
    print this story
    digg this
    save to del.icio.us
    add to Business Exchange
    By Anna Stablum
    April 13 (Bloomberg) -- Kazakhstan boosted output to become the leading uranium miner last year, delivering almost 28 percent of the world’s nuclear fuel and ending Canada’s 17-year run as the top producer, Ux Consulting Co. said in a report.
    Global output rose to 132 million pounds of uranium oxide concentrate, up 16 percent from 2008, with Kazakh production accounting for 80 percent of the increase as new mines started up, the Roswell, Georgia-based company said in a report yesterday.
    “Canada slipped into second place with 2009 production totalling nearly 26.5 million pounds,” or 20 percent of world output, UxC said, adding that Canadian production increased 13 percent during the year. Kazakhstan mined about 36.5 million pounds, according to the report.
    Uranium for immediate delivery dropped 25 cents, or 0.6 percent, to $41.50 a pound in the week through yesterday, UxC said in the report.
    --Editors: John Deane, Stuart Wallace.
    To contact the reporter on this story: Anna Stablum in London at astablum@bloomberg.net.

28. SAGI

COFFEE WITH CARROT HEAD!

THE FUNDAMENTALS OF VANADIUM, URANIUMS POSSIBLE DROP.

First some news, whether good or bad I leave to you to judge; The Nuclear summit has decided to disassemble a great deal of Nuclear weapons and convert the weapons grade material to enriched material. In view of this I ask investors to be watchful and play safe with majority of their Uranium exploration stocks and perhaps even sit on the side line. This should have a major impact on the supply of Uranium for the mid term and until the supply demand equilibrium becomes clearer it will be advisable to refrain from making any further investments for the near term. Let us wait to see how this will impact the various stocks. This will not bear good news for explorers or producers and the price for Uranium. Expect prices to drop with this extra supply. To make things worse the GS issue has had a major impact on the markets at least for the short term. While a correction was expected this was not exactly what I had in mind. Still we will take our breaks where we can. Huge volume increase on SKF. Be careful with this stock as it is not a hold.

This week began with my mind on QUC.V. On Friday the stock had a dip after several days of moving up and in some cases quite dramatic. The dip was to be expected. The question last Monday morning was; if QUC will recover from that Friday dip or will it continue to move down. Technically the price did not move beyond the high, however it did close lower than Thursday. Is this a pivot point or not. Nothing written in the rule books about this. It may be taking a breather before it makes another attempt to go beyond the previous high of 4.26. While surpassing the resistance point 0f 4.19, nothing should have stopped it attaining 4.46. So Monday’s mystery is will QUC move up or move down? Well the stock fell and dropped all the way to 3.65. QUC.V was a SELL.

Gold is once more making an assault on the 1200 mark. It’s not far and it needs to break out….Oh shame on you Sagi for getting it wrong again. A trying time for me though I have several silver stocks and one or two gold ones too.

I can say one thing for my portfolio currently. Its not rising but its not falling either. The checks and balances (completely by accident) appear to be working. There are for one thing too many stocks in the portfolio. They are also at their bottom. They also appear to be so diversified that they are burping alongside the likes of Rio Tinto and Bhp Billton.

I had a rough time selling QUC.V. Every time I put in a sell order it got bypassed. Sadly a loss of a really good amount of paper profit. What they say is true. Its easier to sell on the way up than on the way down. Here is today’s discussion. Finally in bits and pieces it got sold. The trend has been down and I did not want to take any loss. I will wait for a better entry point.

The merit of buying and selling. As we all know is not as easy as selling or buying on yahoo. Brokerage firms do not get the order in or it simply does not get filled. Its also true that once the curve turns its gets more difficult to sell. Sticking by the simple rules saves a lot of grief. If you bought a stock at around the 3.50 mark. The RSI being at around the 50 mark, and you see the stock move to say 4.15 and the RSI over 70. That’s in the over bought area. 90% of the time the stock will turn. 10% of the time the stock will remain in that area for longer than you thought or move higher. Now the math of this is that you may loose a lot of profit in that last couple of days. However consider that 9 out of every 10 stocks you invested in did not do that. In my opinion it is better to be safe. A secondary situation is that say you stick it out, say you continue to hold and you gain on paper another 50%. However you are waiting for the stock to turn and that it does, now you give the sell order. I assure you that at this point you will see a big spike of sells. When that occurs the buyers are diving for cover and your order will possibly not get filled outright or only be partially fulfilled. Your time runs out. Now you place another order and once more it may not get filled unless you leave it at market. By the time you get out you may have gone far lower than you expected to sell at and come out worse for wear. That is why try to begin selling at least some of the stock as soon as you enter the over bought zone. Play it safe.

I am very worried about how the markets are going. I have had more bad luck around this time in the year than at any other time. I am looking at various leveraged negative funds and they are all looking very low. This does not mean that they cannot go lower but they are certainly worth watching. I am waiting for a volume spike to give me an indication that the shorts are gathering strength in terms of seeing a down side to the major markets. A major dump of SKF continues languishing in the oversold position and getting deeper into it. Inversely the Dow would obviously need to correct if SKF and its brethren were to begin moving up. This has not occurred so far but it is one possibility as we have not had any major corrections in the Dow for quite some time. SKF has never been this low ever. The same goes for FAZ which if not consolidated would be around the 1.19 mark. However even after consolidation it is hitting around the 10 dollar mark. The VIX has never gone into over sold territory for the last four years. While this is true it is approaching the lowest possible position that it has usually reached before corrections have occurred. While these indications are not a confirmation that there will be a correction it reflects the likely hood that one may occur in the near future.

This week we saw more emphasis being put on the Rare earths issue at the senate level with a number of Senators asking for more encouragement to mine rare earths within the United states. As usual we see the involvement of the Banksters slowing this down with the molycorp involvement and GS. They will probably not allow other deposits to get anywhere for the time being while molycorp comes on line. Competition and a fair one at that is hardly the thing to do. Still our chosen rare earth plays such as QUC.V, RES.V, AVL.TO are all good stocks to have for the longer run.

It is possible as mentioned above that a correction is on the way. Were this to occur this would be the right time in the following weeks to purchase some of the really good stocks. Consider a mixed bunch. There is no wrong or right stock from all the one’s that have been mentioned in previous versions of this thread. However one must have a core position-foundation and then build up on the fringes with the rest. I sincerely believe that Nuclear power will play a major role in the coming years. It appears inevitable, however as investors we have to be cautious. In view of this I suggest half of allocated attack capital fund to be used to buy the stocks that you think are good while the other half remains for future use as stocks begin to rise with the rest of the attack capital to be utilized as and when you see the stock rise an allocated percentage. Remove attack capital form those stocks that do not move with other related stock. For example you see JNN not moving, but PHP.V, DML.TO, and others moving in tandem. Its obvious this stock is not ready to move so move your capital out of it and wait for it to become active before moving into it. 5% losses are acceptable to me but your resistance may be different. Consider this carefully.

In my case I always allocate equal amounts to various stocks with limits equal to each. There are no variations to this rule. If necessary the explorers have far less involved but the ceiling is the same for all. Some silver stocks some good gold stocks for the longer run. I have been harping about prices coming down, regrettably I do not think this will happen now. I believe we are at a position where a new base above the 1000 mark has been founded and we must make any investments based on this. Having said this it is still possible to pick up some very good stocks at some very reasonable prices. There are some excellent silver stocks out there which have not made any major moves. Consider SBB, ECU, FVI, GPR, SLW, PAAS, SSRI and a few others. Consider in gold GLW, YRI, K, G. There are many others out there with some great potential deposits and one should do their due diligence. I am an eternal bull on Gold and Silver, I always advice people to have some of each in both solids as well as stocks. The only difference is that I do not look at just the long term advantages but try to adopt a methodology that applies to short, medium and long term.
    Now to our latest investment fundamentals; Lately I have been harping about Vanadium. So this week we will concentrate on the fundamentals of this metal that is yet under the radar. What its advantages are, why I think that a possible investment potential is there, what the future is for vanadium, and what we should look at investing into for the longer term.

Lets start with a company out of Australia that is doing the research in this field. http://www.vfuel.com.au/CEGT_Vanadium_Bromide_Redox_Battery_Media_Release_12_J.pdf As you will note the research has been going on for a while as this article is from 2005. Vanadium redox bromide batteries can be charged and recharged many more times than the normal lithium batteries. They also have the capability of being massive storage devices for electricity at the grid level and this is important for all alternative energy generators. Especially for Wind and Solar. We are all aware that while Solar and Wind energy have other issues, their biggest problem is providing the energy on demand which is not quite possible unless some sort of storage system is found. One of the challenges for us is to find companies that are not only researching the technology but also able to bring it to a commercial level. Vanadium battery manufacturers will compete directly with steel manufacturers who need the material for added strength. While there are a few companies that mine the product there are many explorers that use the method of adopting to a demand for a metal to garner interest. It happened in Uranium in 2005 when a lot of companies were suddenly uranium explorers. At one point there were some 25000 exploration companies in Canada alone. One had to separate the real guys from the chaff floating around. Vandium is no different. Companies have begun to adopt this method again, just as they did with Rare Earths a few months ago.

In terms of development of mines the largest of these known deposits is at Windimurra in Western Australia. The deposit was being developed by Xstrata of Switzerland, XTA.L which trades on the Swiss, Frankfurt and London stock exchanges. There is some confusion here because Windimurra is also trading separately on the ASX under the ticker WVL.AX which is around 17 cents. But this is mothballed since 2008. So WVL is not an option. Since then two companies have come together in 2010Midwest Vanadium Pty Ltd (MVPL) and Mineral resources limited. MRL.Ax will own 27% of the resource and the two will work together. This deposit is turning in chaos. I would not consider it as an option until they get their act straight. In North America there is Apella Resources which has two projects going. This is considered as the largest Vanadium resource in North America and the second largest in the world so far. BHP Billton states that more steel will be consumed in the next twenty years than in the whole of the last century. That’s a no brainer considering that the greater demand for steel has been in the last 30 years than at any other time as we progress through the industrial age and big countries like China, Korea and India come into mainstream construction and demand. Here is a more detailed article on Vanadium and its uses from the Windimurra web site; http://www.pmal.com.au/what_is_vanadium.26.html The windimurra website is till up and running and there is a lot information there regarding Vanadium.

There are stocks on the TVX and TSX that may be a good way to go as well as on the AMX. Rocky mountain resources http://vanadiuminvestingnews.com/vanadium-stocks/378/rocky-mountain-vanadium-production-in-2012 has about 122 million pounds of Vanadium and may go into production in 2012. Another company that is taking strides is Apella http://vanadiuminvestingnews.com/va...8/apellas-iron-t-project-continues-to-deliver they have an iron Titanium Vanadium resource that they have been working on APL.V is sitting at 19 cents and its worth doing some due diligence on them. Apella has gone under the radar for the time being but just have a look at the concentrates in this more detailed report http://www.marketwire.com/press-rel...tinues-to-Deliver-TSX-VENTURE-APA-1143505.htm I like slightly diversified projects as this gives the resource more life and some defense against price fluctuations. Apella looks promising …but promises can be broken and the groom left at the alter. The results look very good, but do they have the financing? Will they be able to play this out all the way? Still a worthwhile risk to take for the longer term at today’s prices.

While we are researching this we will deviate just a little and ask you to have a look at this site which has a lot of research on Hydrogen fuel cells and Vandium batteries. Go to the lower half of the page for more research. http://www.arizonaenergy.org/Analysis/FuelCell/fuelcell.htm

So how commercial are these batteries? Are they already in the market? The answer is here; http://www.ecplaza.net/tradeleads/seller/4981515/supply_every_types_of.html

While Hydrogen fuel cells look like they are on the path to implementation it appears that we have a mid level area where hybrid vehicles will be utilized for the interim period. Vehicles that run purely on battery power have some practical problems, namely the amount of time it take to recharge one, secondly as the vanadium article states none of these are completely discharged, and the vanadium batteries will become more advanced and look likely to replace the lithium ones in the future. So will vanadium replace oil, lithium and other resources. There is no clear indication of this. What is likely to happen is a matter of suitability. While I see Vanadium liquid batteries replacing the current acid batteries in our houses and cars sooner rather than later to provide more efficient storage and usage as well as being geared up for use in Power generation electrical charge storage for dispersal during peak hours the progress is open ended and only time will tell if it will become mainstream.

Many would like to know how the vanadium prices are doing and this article gives an idea of it. http://vanadiuminvestingnews.com/feature-articles/302/vanadium-prices-continue-upward

While we see vanadium becoming a mainstay battery output. There are commercial manufacturers out there who are already applying the technology. http://www.pdenergy.com/en/applications-solutions/renewable_resources/renewable_resources.html

The explorers I am banking on for Vanadium are two. One is my old friend CZQ.TO which is sitting on about 16 billion pounds of it and the other is URST.OB (Energizer resources) which is looking to come up with a massive resource in Madagascar. Both companies have issues. CZQ’s resource is in Sweden, and part of a billion pound Uranium resource, which Sweden is not interested in mining at present. Energizer resources is still trying to get a handle on how big its deposit is and yet has to come up with the figures. If the deposit is viable its going to be a long time before we see some real results.

The above are a few ways to invest into Vanadium. It has a good potential to be used on a larger as both an additive to make steel as well as an alternative energy storage facility.

Ouch Friday we see a correction taking place as mentioned in the beginning and the Obama agreement with Russia is going to throw a spanner in the works. For the time being I am glade I was able to sell QUC.V and get out. I am also going short on the markets for the coming week.

Solar and Alternatives still remain intact on fundamentals. Vanadium may play a vital part in all this. I still need to figure out the supply demand fundamentals but for the time being steel plays a vital role in this too. Consider it and do your DD.

Have a good weekend.

SAGI:cool2::bear_noexpression:

Blueice Mark II and Hystckndle like this.
  29. SAGI

Does Solar Have a Bright Future Ahead? 15 comments
    April 16, 2010 | about: CSIQ / ENER / ESLR / FSLR / SPWRA / STP / TAN
    Greentech Media 779
    Followers 1
    Following
    Follow
    Articles (1126)
    Send Message
    Visit Greentech Media
    News
    Green Light Blog
    Cleantech Investing Blog
    Events
    Research
    Subscribe to RSS feed
    More articles
    From Greentech Media:
    Greening the Supply Chain Boston Sept. 17
    The Greentech Innovations Report
    PV News Online
    Submit
    an article to
    Customize Font Size: Print Email Recommend 3

by Doug Payne

In my line of work, I talk to people from all facets of the solar spectrum -- from installers and business leaders, to engineers and city officials trying to make it all happen. With over 1,000 new solar products in the pipeline in the U.S. alone, the excitement throughout the industry is palpable. Clearly, we're entering an era where more people value solar energy, and those people are rapidly transforming into tomorrow's consumers.

In all the flurry of engineering exhilaration and debates on which technology is better, the solar industry may be forgetting one critical piece of the puzzle -- one that could bolster a booming market or cast a shadow on a failed dream. As demand for solar skyrockets, are we armed with an effective system to facilitate mass consumption and coax the public to convert to solar? I believe the answer is yes, but only if we swiftly solve some key issues that, if left unchecked, will hurt our business.

While the technology is here, the process that brings solar to the public is flawed. The Solar Leadership Summit this month in San Ramon, California will tackle this burgeoning challenge, bringing the best minds and innovators into one room, where I believe we will embark on a critical journey to help develop an efficient business model to prepare for the flood of consumers lining up at the door.

So what exactly is wrong with our current system? Let's use the human body as an analogy, in which we have many critical, yet independent, organs -- the heart, brain, liver, lungs, etc. While expressing unique functions, all of these organs coalesce within a greater system, helping to create the adept and high-functioning person that is you. However, if each organ carried out its own task without accounting for what happened elsewhere, or if there wasn't a brain to manage and disseminate information, you wouldn't survive for long.

Similarly, we're faced with an unprecedented challenge in the solar world, where industry players -- from business leaders to builders -- have not yet come together to build the end-to-end business systems so crucial to ensuring that the industry has the capacity to deliver on booming customer demand. As a result, we could be setting ourselves up for a host of problems.

Here are a few key pain points to consider:

Visibility: Currently, there's little communication amongst innovators and the "boots on the ground" workers that bring solar to consumers' homes. We need to take a holistic approach instead of working in silos, making it critical for equipment and component manufacturers, material suppliers, integrators, building officials and consumer advocacy groups to have access to new product information. Only then can we streamline the larger market system, cutting out a lot of confusion and time-delays in solar adoption.
    Creating customer demand: If consumers don't know what's available, they won't be able to make educated purchases and may not even spend on solar products. Our current system presents massive knowledge gaps within the industry, where solar advocates aren't privy to pertinent information on what solar innovations and products are coming down the pipeline. It will be critical to close this gap and create a methodology for stakeholders to get the right information in order to drive demand and growth.
    Workforce readiness: Most workers, including installers and inspection officials, were probably not trained for solar 20 years ago, or even 10 years ago, for that matter. While an eruption of solar technology translates to more jobs, innovation and business, it also deepens the rift between customer demand and qualified workers that bring solar to the public. Workforce training organizations, which have little insight into upcoming technology, need to integrate and collaborate with innovators and business leaders. Similar to the basic visibility challenge, integration and communication will be critical to developing an efficient and streamlined process for the future solar workforce. Moreover, a well-oiled training program will facilitate job creation in today's staggering economy.
    Like any emerging industry, there will be growing pains, and old systems will need to be revisited and tailored to current needs. But if the solar industry is to remain competitive, we need to solve these issues quickly and figure out how we can work as one "factory" and not in separate silos. Each day that creeps by without change means fewer customers, slower market growth, and consequently, less business for the industry.

A pragmatic optimist, I believe we have time to shift our thinking, to start looking at our industry through the lens of "running a factory," looking upstream and downstream at how to optimize our businesses from silicon to smart meters spinning backwards. We are still ahead of the curve, but barely. We may be able to turn the system around, but we need to act fast to achieve benefits that are both possible and real. A panelist at the Solar Leadership Summit and Skyline Solar CEO, Bob McDonald, has noted that improved visibility and interconnection processes could bump the adoption rate for his products by 15-20%. That translated into $100 million of increased revenue!

Adapting and sharing best practices will move things forward in the tight timeframe that the industry faces. The Solar Leadership Summit is just one, although significant, building block on the path to a comprehensive solution. Our challenges are far from insurmountable with the innovation and focus that the entire solar team brings to the table. We will emerge stronger, more profitable, and ultimately, more likely to be tomorrow's success story by applying our combined talents and wealth of knowledge.

Doug Payne is the Executive Director of SolarTech, an initiative of Silicon Valley Leadership Group and collaborative organization formed to provide best practices and implementation standards that make mass adoption of solar a reality. www.solartech.org

30. Blueice Mark II

Sagi, do you follow palladium?

31. SAGI

Yes I do Blueice!

Blueice Mark II likes this.
  32. SAGI

BANNERMAN ANNOUNCES EXPANDED AND HIGHER CONFIDENCE ETANGO MINERAL RESOURCE ESTIMATE
    Posted by mincho2008
    Friday, 02 April 2010
    Bannerman Resources Limited (TSX:BAN)(ASX:BMN)(NSX:BMN) ("Bannerman" or the "Company") continues to advance towards development its 80%-owned Etango Uranium Project in Namibia, southern Africa, today announcing an updated mineral resource estimate. An expanded version of this announcement which includes graphics, an updated resource table and detailed technical information is available on the company website at www.bannermanresources.com.au and SEDAR at www.sedar.com.
    Highlights include:

The Etango mineral resource estimate now comprises Measured & Indicated Resources of 142.1Mlbs U3O8 at an average grade of 223ppm U3O8, and Inferred Resources of 20.0Mlbs U3O8 at an average grade of 216ppm U3O8. Overall metal content has increased 7%.
    Measured Resources increase to 26.8Mlbs U3O8 at an average grade of 221ppm U3O8, equating to 17% of the total mineral resource estimate versus 1% previously.
    38% increase in Measured & Indicated Resources from 102.8Mlbs to 142.1Mlbs U3O8, accounting for 88% of the total mineral resource estimate.
    Approximately two thirds of the total mineral resource estimate is located within 200 metres of the surface.
    Resource extension drilling continues and a further resource update is expected in the September 2010 quarter as part of the definitive feasibility study which is now underway.
    Note: Mineral resources are reported at a lower cut-off of 100ppm U3O8.

Bannerman CEO, Len Jubber said the Company has now defined the Etango mineral resource to a definitive feasibility standard with 88% of the resource in the Measured and Indicated categories.

"In addition, almost five years of production in the initial years of the project life have been defined to Measured Resource classification, the highest level of estimation confidence. Drilling has confirmed a contiguous mineral resource approximately 6 kilometres in length, which will form the basis of the definitive feasibility study mining review scheduled to be completed by mid year."

"The near project and regional exploration program initiated in the March quarter will focus on target generation on the Etango tenement using radon cup surveys and ground-based geophysics. The Etango licence area is highly prospective as it contains the bulk of Bannerman's known prospects and anomalies, and lies in the heart of the well-defined hard-rock uranium mineralisation corridor. Target generation activities will also progress mid-year onto the Swakop River and Botswana projects."

About Bannerman - Bannerman Resources Limited is an emerging uranium development company with interests in two properties in Namibia, a southern African country considered to be a premier uranium mining jurisdiction. Bannerman's principal asset is its 80%-owned Etango Project situated southwest of Rio Tinto's Rössing uranium mine and to the west of Paladin Energy's Langer-Heinrich mine. Etango is one of the world's largest undeveloped uranium deposits. Bannerman is focused on the feasibility assessment and development of a large open pit uranium operation at Etango. More information is available on Bannerman's website at www.bannermanresources.com.

33. SAGI

I mentioned Palladium a year ago at 180 dollars as a BUY and a hold. To be sold at 700 USD. Sorry I cannot substantiate this as the thread is gone. Both PAL and NILSY.PK are longer term holds for the time being I would wait if you did not go in at the beginning of the year it is better to let it go. The metal is dependent on the vehicle industry as you are aware. There will be major changes in three to five years to come. If the internal combustion engine becomes less in demand with more progress on the batteries we will see more hybrids and a shallow decline may ensue in the usage of fuels and thereby catalytic converters may be less in use in the coming decade. The metals of the coming years could be vanadium, and lithium. Depending on the direction related industries take.
    Sagi

34. SAGI

Recent hikes were due to the mad South African idiot in charge of the ANC youth wing- A real thug! Who has no issues with sending out statements of nationalizing the mines in South Africa. SA is one of the largest producers of palladium and Platinum along with Russia. Idiots like this make my day in Africa. What is worse is we have a rapist and another idiot in charge of the country Jacob Zuma, who is a firm follower of Robert Mugabe another idiotic dictator and despot in charge of Zimbabwe which also has platinum. Zimplats the company in Zimbabwe is in a shambles with fools like Mugabe saying that all companies should be owned 50% by locals. The best thing these men can do for their country is pass away! South Africans can be considered idiots for electing an idiot to lead their country to hell! these men will go down in history as perhaps the last of the idiots to lead their countries to ruin! For a full report go to the bottom of the page and you will read what happened at that interview. A country of clowns. Recent reports of white farmers and white supremacists being attacked is just the beginning of the end of South Africa and its riches....going the Venezuela way. http://nigeriavillagesquare.com/for...c-youth-leader-marching-out-bbc-reporter.html

SAGI

35. SAGI

36. SAGI

Canadian Solar shares sink on currency loss
    Shares of Canadian Solar tumble on news of wider-than-seen foreign exchange loss in 1st qtr
    Buzz up! 0
    Print
    Companies:Canadian Solar Inc.
    Topics:International
    Related Quotes
    Symbol Price Change
    CSIQ 18.26 -3.07

On Wednesday April 21, 2010, 1:16 pm EDT
    NEW YORK (AP) -- Shares of Canadian Solar Inc. tumbled on Wednesday, a day after the solar cell maker said it expects to record a foreign exchange loss of up to $20 million in the first quarter.

Late Tuesday the company said that depreciation of the euro to the dollar will result in a first-quarter pretax foreign exchange loss of between $18 million and $20 million.

Collins Stewart analyst Dan Ries, who rates the stock "Hold," advised investors to "remain on the sidelines if they are not currently involved in the shares."

The foreign exchange charge exceeded his expectations of $8 million and cut away at Ries' first-quarter earnings-per-share estimate.

Canadian Solar also indicated first-quarter gross margins in the range of 13 percent to 13.5 percent, which is below earlier predictions of "mid-teens." Ries said selling price weakness is hampering margins. Ries cut his first-quarter estimates to a loss of 1 cent from a profit of 37 cents per share. Excluding special charges, he expects adjusted earnings of 37 cents per share.

Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expect a first quarter profit of 49 cents per share. Analysts typically exclude one-time items.

Shares of the Ontario-based company fell $3.02, or 14 percent, to $18.31 in afternoon trading.

37. SAGI

38. Blueice Mark II

Carrot top off to you, Sagi, making such an excellent call...:bowdown::bowdown: Palladium has had a considerable run, indeed...

Good points you make, however, it will depend on the price of goo, whether we see the electric vehicle market driven higher or lower..

The Volt, IMHO, will fail and the current market for even the 100 mile range, will be limited for more suitable climates..

39. SAGI

Hummm Tesla has already increased that range and several other companies are looking to increase that range. The biggest problem is as mentioned in one of the postings is the time it takes to recharge. The other options that are being considered are hydrogen fuel cells. There is a lot of progress with this. More so if you notice all leading car manufacturers are putting in a huge effort to develop this. Secondly Nuclear power stations will have the capacity to produce Hydrogen as a byproduct and this could help solve another problem. Yet a third solution may be a hybrid Hydrogen/electric car. the world may have learnt that having one source is not a good idea. A combination gives an option to two routes. Perhaps this is the way. Oil has limitations-whether its in our life time or our children only time will tell. There are several zones being attacked at the same time and at this time it is impossible to tell which one of these solutions will come out ahead. all earth resources have limitations. So a renewable source is required that circulates. Perhaps Hydrogen will be the way to go as far as vehicles are concerned or as mentioned a combination http://www.altenergymag.com/emagazine.php?issue_number=05.12.01&article=ovonic

SAGI

40. SAGI

STOCK ALERT: DML.TO IS MOVING UP WITHOUT ANY NEWS FOR THE LAST TWO DAYS. WATCH DML.TO

SAGI