1. Wednesday Morning and all is quiet. For today, crude inventories on tap and ADP payroll, along with pending home sales
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Wednesday AM, Gold is quiet and +.60 to 1313, while Silver is +14 at 18.72. Crude is down 33 to 46.02. The USD is flat at 96.04
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 8/27/16 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1322.60 DOWN 19.60-- Silver $18.65 DOWN 66-- Oil $47.64 DOWN 1.47--- USD $95.54 up 106 tics-- Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE $1392.14(1), SAE $21.84 (20)
  4. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

Value of assay cards for small bars

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by silverblood, Dec 3, 2010.

1. silverblood

silverblood Gold Member Gold Chaser

A lot of 1 oz to 10 oz gold bars are sold in sealed "assay card" holders, basically a plastic blister pack. Coins and most rounds, on the other hand, are typically sold bare, or in tubes. Premiums on coins are generally higher than bars, with or without assay cards.

Based on APMEX prices right now it appears that assay card gets you $10 more per ounce when you sell them back than the same bar without an assay card. The additional premium when you buy a bar in assay card versus not is often more than $10.

So there really doesn't appear to be a good reason to buy bars in assay card, as far as I can tell. So what is the point of an assay card? Is this just a marketing ploy?

If you buy small bars, do you like the ones in assay cards, or do you prefer to buy the naked bars? Why?

2. joe_momma

joe_momma Silver Member Silver Miner

I prefer the assay cards - to my mind some reasons include:
    1) They're a little harder than unsealed products for our Chinese overlords to copy
    2) The bars (.999 pure) are way to soft without keeping them protected
    3) The premium is often lower than for rounds (e.g., Pamp spot +14, Krugs spot +30)

That being said, I have Krugs, Eagles, Pamp, and Credit in my hoard (all of which were tragically lost in a boating accident).

Buy at the best price you can find!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
    Thecrensh likes this.
  3. Charlie Prime

Charlie Prime Banned

I also like the blister-pack assay cards.

In street trading, it protects them, and tells the potential buyer they are probably unmolested.

Some people prefer metal with political imagery on it. I HATE political images on my metal. Reputable private mints are the way of the future!

Anybody who sez different is a bushwacking skaliwag maroon. :)

4. Montecristo

Montecristo Silver Member Silver Miner

A sealed bar, like a pamp suisse or suisse credit is definitely going to net you more on the sell end.

I've seen paranoid dealers who insist on drilling into unsealed bars, thereby rendering them scrap, because they are worried about fakes.

5. Solo

Solo Midas Member Midas Member

That may be true at some coin shops, and should definitely be the case at a show with a fair number of dealers, but many LCS's won't pay extra for an ounce of gold in an assay card. I can tell you with certainty the shop down the road from me doesn't ;).

Personally I'm not really a fan of assay card gold as the Chinese have started counterfieting them and you can't accurately weigh or ring the gold if it's sealed in a card. I can't remember which forum it was on, but someone posted pics of fake Pamp's in assay cards and like their other counterfeits, I think you can count on the overall quality of the fakes to increase with time unfortunately :\

6. Mr Paradise

Mr Paradise Midas Member Midas Member

Yep, the chinese got the counterfeit slabs down so good it's to the point where you have to send your graded slabs into be slabbed and authenticated. :(

Faking assay cards, they leave that kind of work for the Apprentices.

7. Charlie Prime

Charlie Prime Banned

I have mostly these 5 gram Pamps. How do you tell if one is fake?

[​IMG]

8. Annie

Annie Silver Member Silver Miner

Full time scooter trash.
    Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted. Why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.
    Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.
    Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.
    Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
    Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?
    [chuckles until he sees that Ted is not laughing]
    Ted Nelson, Customer: [impatiently] What's your point?
    Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
    Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
    Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.
    Ted Nelson, Customer: [pause] Okay, I'll buy from you.
    Tommy: Well, that's...
    Tommy, Richard Hayden: ...What?

Solo and Mr Paradise like this.
  9. Mr Paradise

Mr Paradise Midas Member Midas Member

That I don't know my friend, but a video a few years back (can no longer find) of a police warehouse raid in China on a counterfeiting operation that had thousands of spot on Morgans heading to the USA woke me up to the realization that there is a risk with cards/slabs.

See Tommy Boy reference above ^.

10. JayDubya

JayDubya Gold Member Gold Chaser

Charlie Prime likes this.
  11. Montecristo

Montecristo Silver Member Silver Miner

JayDubya,

Are those pictures of fakes?

12. JayDubya

JayDubya Gold Member Gold Chaser

Yes, those are the fakes that are the subject of the long discussion at the other forum.

And I forgot that you can't be a "visitor" there. You actually have to log in to read the thread.