1. The USD and Stocks continue to power up, with Crude now catching a bid on a breakout of old highs
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Thur Morning GIM! Gold is up this am 6.7 to 1240, while Silver is up 4 to 17.99. Crude is up 68 to 5427. The USD is up 12 to 101.32.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 2/17/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1239.10-- Silver $18.03-- Oil $53.78-- USD $100.95 -- Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE 2017 $1304.51 (1), SAE $21.15 (20)

water talk how would you manage it?

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by coopersmith, Oct 21, 2016.

1. coopersmith

coopersmith for fuck sake.......... Silver Miner

I have been doing some trading, as it were, and have ended up with a 750 gal food grade water tank, new, never used.

I have built a heavy duty platform setup in a heated building to put the tank on, and fill it, for emergency water.

I am wondering about managing water quality. How often do I need to drain and clean the tank, refill w fresh, to maintain water intergity? What do I clean the tank with?

Thanks for you time.

coopersmith

2. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Depends on if you keep it inside or out, original water quality, etc. Are you going to use rain, well or city water?

coopersmith likes this.
  3. Someone_else

Someone_else Gold Member Gold Chaser

First question is, can you draw and refill ("rotate stock") or is it static for emergency only? If you can use it as a very large tank in your daily system, you might get by with no special maintenance. Otherwise, add some chlorine to kill the germs and you'll be okay. 1 ppm should be fine if it is not exposed to sunlight. That's just one ounce of 8% bleach. You can buy a cheapo pool test kit to verify the chlorine. If want to "shock" the system, 10ppm should do the trick.

If you have iron in the water, some chlorine will be used up converting the iron into sediment. This will fall to the bottom. You can draw from above that layer, or filter it out with a particulate filter.

coopersmith likes this.
  4. Merlin

Merlin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

You don't want algae growing in your tank. But, if sunlight cannot get in and you have killed any critters in the tank when you loaded it, the water should be good indefinitely. If you want to rotate your stock, have at it; but I don't think that's necessary.

I am not entirely happy with my situation. I have one 60 gallon tank and a really good water filter if I want to carry water from the creek about one city block from where I live. I'd bet that water source would be depleted pretty quickly by my neighbors if the city water failed. So what I really need is a rooftop collection system.

I'd like solar power too. But I'm retired and don't feel like I can afford those things. I'll have to muddle through with what I have. And if it's not good enough and I die... Well, I've had a wonderful life and I'm too old to die young.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    coopersmith likes this.
  5. coopersmith

coopersmith for fuck sake.......... Silver Miner

Sorry to be so late to revisit this topic, have been busy....

I appreciate the replies.

Like I said above, the tank would be in a building kept above freezing, in a big rack, to elevate it off the floor.

The water would be clean sediment filtered well water. No sunlight in this building, my shop. The water is a little hard with calcium, but no iron. I could use the whole tank multiple times a yr to water fruit trees then refill, think thats what ill do.

thanks again for the replies
    coopersmith