1. All quiet on the reports front today, Friday. Metals showing weakness this am.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Friday morning! We arrive at the end of week, with the metals coming into the day weak. Gold down 5.7 to 1325, while Silver is down 6 to 19.75. Oil is up 6 to 44.81. The USD is up 8 to 97.13.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 7/22/16 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1322.10 DOWN 5.30-- Silver $19.69 DOWN .47-- Oil $44.26 DOWN 2.39--- USD $97.51 UP 95 tics-- Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE $1392.74 (1), SAE $22.49 (20)
  4. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

What can I store in the garage?

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by Dwildcat, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Dwildcat

Dwildcat New Member

I'd like to start stocking up on supplies but don't really have the space in our house. What space (pantry, closet) we do have is reserved for canned food rice, etc. What food/nonfood items can I safely store for a couple years in our garage (lots of room there). I assume laundry detergent, clothes, combs etc. What else?

BTW I live in central Texas so it's pretty darn hot here especially the garage.

2. newmisty

newmisty Duppy Conqueror Midas Member

Why not start with what things you would LIKE to store? Are there specific items you are looking to get plentiful supplies of? How much prepping have you done thus far and what important items are left to acquire?

3. WhyKnow

WhyKnow Thnk Tank Gold Chaser

Motor oil, dental floss, bicycle, bar soap, garden hoe, bic lighters, car tires, canning jars, quiver of arrows, heavy duty garbage bags----------------
    Don't store stuff affected by heat, cold, and possibly high humidity: ice cubes, rice, carrots, mice

Nickelless and GodspeedMetals like this.
  4. goldie40

goldie40 Silver Member Silver Miner

start by spending a little money on some insulation for the garage and put in a small air conditioner then you can store any and everything.
    if you're short of money, hit some construction sites and ask to raid their dumpsters

Not Sure and GodspeedMetals like this.
  5. GodspeedMetals

GodspeedMetals Gold Member Gold Chaser

For starters, I've recently gutted out much of my condo with stuff I don't need. And I installed wall shelves (about 16!) along the bare walls and took out the free-standing bookshelves that were cluttering my place. This way, you have more floorspace to work/store with.

Then I installed a neat shelving system in my walk-in closet to store my preps / water.

Once you've cleaned out most of your home, you'll have a large pile of things you can live without (or at least not with you in the home) - then you can store most of that stuff in the garage.

Merkin and WhyKnow like this.
  6. spacecase0

spacecase0 Seeker Seeker

I keep things that I would not mind getting stolen.
    extra jack stands, used oil, ect...

7. Book

Book Banned

http://www.grandpappy.info/hshelff.htm

Heat seriously shortens the shelf life of food.

Nickelless and Not Sure like this.
  8. Armed.peasant

Armed.peasant Seeker Seeker

Tax Payer.
    To me it is worth it to give up a room inside the house such as a bedroom and use that room for storage. I know that may not be something everyone can do, but that is what I have done. I think its more important to have a room full of food, ammo, and paper goods than an extra guest room.

If you line the walls with shelves its amazing how much you can store in a bedroom.

Silvergun and Merkin like this.
  9. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter

Slave, but a little less every day
    Super ditto what AP says.
    +- 50 plus 5 gallons and counting...

10. newmisty

newmisty Duppy Conqueror Midas Member

You using pails with lids? Bottles? Bleach in the water?

11. Sampson

Sampson Digging for nuggets of knowledge Silver Miner

Mining
    You could probably store just about anything that would be unaffected by the heat i would guess. Tools, building supplies, Tp of course, extra clothes and fabric, EMP boxes with electronics, guns and ammo if secure, pretty much anything not food related.

As far as water storage i will parrot the suggestion about storing water purification means rather than a massive amount of water. While i do store about 100 gallons of water i would never recommend storing water for any length of time in any type of plastic container, especially if it will be subject to drastic temperature change. My personal water storage container of choice is the 20 liter glass carboy that is normally used for wine and beer making. I change out the water about yearly and with no added bleach or anything it has always been as good as new when i change it out. I also store a couple steri pens, Katadyn filters, and bleach to replenish my supply if i run out and normal sources are unavailable.

Even though it takes up a fair bit of room in my basement i currently have a small insulated room in the back corner with concrete walls on two sides that stays fairly cool where i keep all my preserves, dried fruits, and cooking/baking supplies. I don't eat canned food very often any more but i have opened cans that are many years past their "best before" date that had been stored in this room and they tasted fine to me.

Sampson

12. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter

Slave, but a little less every day
    No water. 5 and 6 gallon buckets of preps.
    Inside. Spare bedroom

13. CiscoKid

CiscoKid They all look good through beer goggles... Gold Chaser

Engineer / Business owner
    I use my garage to store a car, a sport bike, a compressor, and a cabinet full of car care accessories.

14. Merkin

Merkin Seeker Seeker

I live in Arizona, was parked at a shopping mall in Phoenix, had a bic lighter explode in my glove compartment, blew the gc door open and trashed my head liner and seats with shrapnel. My garage is hotter than Hades. Maybe I should move my propane tanks elsewhere. Thanks for reminding me.

15. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Hot here is Fl too, I keep extra cleaners, tp and paper towels in garage. I'm in the process of adding an extra wire rack shelve to all my inside closests for tooth paste, foods ect that could be damaged by the heat.

16. Nickelless

Nickelless If coffee is gold, I own Fort Knox Midas Member

Ammo can be affected by extreme heat, and if your garage is accessible from the outside, you run the risk of having anything inside the garage get stolen. I keep my guns stored in a few different places in the house, but never in the garage. Ditto with the ammo.