1. TGIF! Starting off today in good shape on metals as they continue to show green with gold +3.2 to 1160 and silver at +.06 to 14.91. Resistance lies just ahead for gold and silver. Crude punched thru to 34 early yesterday, then came rolling back to under 32 by days end. Volatility still high. US Dollar finally slowed the descent this am, and at +.10 to 96.59. Nikkei was down hard early and finished down ONLY 256 pts. US Jobs report today that will move the markets.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Need more resources for the Industry Links. Have some guns/ammo, preps, pm dealers, and charts, but need more to make it a go to resource and replace bookmarks. Please send me a conversation with your ideas for others we should add. TIA. Together we will make it a great resource.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 1/30/16 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1116.40 Up 20.10-- Silver $14.24 Up 18 ct-- Oil $33.62 Up 3.23-- USD $99.65 FLAT-- Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE $1177.16 (1), SAE $17.83 (20)
  4. Please use the following for log on: www.goldismoney2.com We have moved to a new server. Please reset bookmark accordingly
  5. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

What do you fear more?

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by Jeremiah_Wrong, Mar 3, 2013.

?

What do you fear more?

Poll closed Apr 2, 2013.
  1. Being present when someone breaks into my home.

18 vote(s)
    23.4%
  2. Being away when someone breaks into my home.

59 vote(s)
    76.6%
  1. Jeremiah_Wrong

Jeremiah_Wrong Seeker Seeker

government contractor
    What do you fear more?

2. silver solution

silver solution Gold Member Gold Chaser

$uck fear.

Malus likes this.
  3. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Mother Lode

It's more of a convenience thing.

I'f somebody robs me while I'm away I'll have to find them before I can wrap them in chains and toss them into 300 feet of water.

If I'm home we can get started that much sooner.

4. Strawboss

Strawboss Intergalactic Silver Guru Gold Chaser

IT Consulting
    Based on the poll results - this is a forum predominated by internet tough guys.

Who in their right mind would want someone to break into their house while they are home - especially if they have family members that are also home? Any number of uncontrollable events could result (think stray bullets).

Are you guys nuts?

Ragnarok, newmisty and mph275 like this.
  5. chris_is_here

chris_is_here Gold Member Gold Chaser

Agreed. The best case scenario for an encounter would involve driving the perp away at gun point, which would still leave your family scarred from the experience. And, there are any number of worst case scenarios - imagine shooting at a perp in panic and accidentally hitting a family member. Can you imagine what the media would do with that, not to mention an over-zealous DA with an anti-2A agenda?

I pray to God I never have to be put in the situation of confronting a perp in my home. While I have no reservations about shooting an intruder, it would very likely not end well.

6. anotherdave

anotherdave Banned

Gun control means hitting your target!

stAGgering, Garyw, Nickelless and 2 others like this.
  7. 90%RealMoney

90%RealMoney Gold Member Gold Chaser

Here's where you are wrong. I work at home, live in an extremely rural setting. Since I work at home, I am in essence, at home quite alot. I have a neighbor "up" the road from me, 1/8 to 1/4 mile away, and one neighbor "down" the road from me, the same distance. Last year, both of their houses were broken into twice during daylight hours. No one has broken into my house. People drive by all the time, and see my vehicle parked out front. I've been known as "The guy with the Dobermans" too, which helps quite a bit. If you are home, chances are, your house will not be broken into. Cat Burglars are crazy, as opposed to your everyday burglar of opportunity.

8. CopperSilverGold

CopperSilverGold Silver Member Silver Miner

Ok time for the real job - district manager for na
    It's not about being a tough guy as you claim. To me it's about having control over the situation. I can't speak for the rest of the members here, but the firearms and ammo I have for self defense are items I hope to never use. But what would be the point of having said items if you can't use them to protect yourself and property? I'm sorry but I worked hard to acquire what I own. Sure most of it can be replaced, but why would I want to give someone an easy pass?

9. rte

rte Silver Member Silver Miner

This is along the lines I was thinking :D
    That and to come home to a ran sacked house with damaged items would piss me off.
    then to have to clean up the mess.....then hunt down the idiots would piss me off somemore.

stAGgering and Irons like this.
  10. Ishkabibble

Ishkabibble Gold Member Gold Chaser

The original question can be boiled down to fight (defend) or flight (avoid)... which would we choose against one disadvantaged assailant? Disadvantaged because he does not know the home like we do, nor where the guns are, nor how many are within. He does not know if there are dogs or other threats, or if there is a security alarm, if those within are sheeple or gun toatin Texans fully invested in the castle doctrine. The enemy would be at a disadvantage against 90% of those on this forum. That needs to be very clear.

Look at the profile of a typical GIM member. The majority stack gold and silver to protect liberty, economic freedoms, and futures. We are invested in preps and survival skills so we have a fighting chance regardless what comes. We are not the fools saying to take the guns away, we are the people shouting to keep them. We defend gun rights because we use guns. We defend what we have. Our very nature shows we are fighters, and our actions are there to back it up... stacking, packing, prepping, and more.

If we would not defend against a single invader, what chance do we have when SHTF for a majority? What if civil war comes? How would we stand strong and face an army, if we will not even mount defense against a single man? Many of us have even decided and shared how we would respond to abject tyranny by government. All of those situations are much less controllable, more volatile, than a home invasion by a single person. We prepare for great threats but will not defend when we have the advantages of home turf, arms, planning and preparation? There is no sense in that premise.

The poll did not ask if we liked the prospect; it asked which of two scenarios we would prefer. I counter your 'Internet tough guys' statement; most who have invested so heavily in their future livelihood, for years or even decades, have also considered how they would protect those assets. The notion of walking away... that's not consistent with the people our site draws in.

There will be exceptions, such as those with health issues or young children, who face greater risk in an invasion situation. In many cases, a choice to not be present is right for them. For the rest of us, who are able, the choice to protect and defend seems pretty clear.

11. 90%RealMoney

I'll go one further than Ishka's post. If you have alot of Preps in your home, or hidden on your property, being away from said home for any length of time can be a nervous situation. Not saying you can't ever do anything, but if you go on vacation for awhile, you best have someone you trust to house sit for you. I was gone for almost 10 days at Christmas time, and all I could think of was, "Did I secure my home well enough?" This all on the back of my two closest neighbors having THEIR homes broken into twice a mere few months before. I made sure my home appeared to have someone living in it, even though it was as empty as the gold vaults at Fort Knox! I did some pretty drastic things inside, to thwart an intruder, luckily none of them were tested.

Nickelless likes this.
  12. CopperSilverGold

CopperSilverGold Silver Member Silver Miner

Ok time for the real job - district manager for na
    100% agree. A few years ago I went on a trip to the Carribean with the old lady. At the time I had about 10 ounces of gold, 1500+ ounces of silver at home. Sadly all of it was lost in boating accident. Anyway, prior to the trip I was a nervous wreck trying to figure out what to do with it. Some I had in creative spots but there was still plenty that would be easily found if someone broke in. I worried about it the whole trip.

derickvv likes this.
  13. hammerhead

hammerhead Not just a screen name Gold Chaser

Home Improvement Contractor
    Anybody have experiences with either actually happening? :hmmmm2:

14. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    More likely 'armed' and mean it...

15. Aurumag

Aurumag Post-1792 Coinage E-FRN Wage Slave Midas Member

Twenty years ago, we lived in a pretty seedy neighborhood, and my car was broken into numerous times. One time I watched the thief walk into my garage and walk out with my toolbox, but I was 100 yards away and strolling with two toddlers that I could not abandon in order to give chase. He got away on his bike.

About 15 years ago, someone broke into and vandalized our home, but no theft.

IMO the violation of one's personal space takes longer to heal than the replacement of goods.

The perp turned out to be a neighbor kid whose parents brought him over to confess. They paid for the damage and I enlisted the kid in some neighborhood cleanup. No problems since then.

5 weeks ago yesterday my son's car was stolen from in front of a retail establishment.

The entire incident was recorded on camera, but alas no return as of yet.

It is a bit difficult to hunt down the perps in a city of almost 1 Megahumans, and the store is located 300 yards from a major freeway linking LA and SF.

Still, I am glad the car was jacked without him in it.

I didn't take the poll because I have been commanded not to fear, so I think it should have been worded thusly:

Which would you prefer?

Being at home.

Not being at home.

I would very much prefer to be at home while the burglary takes place.

hammerhead, TAEZZAR and Ishkabibble like this.
  16. Ebie

Ebie Midas Member Midas Member

I believe in California you (theoretically) have to retreat in this situation--at least don't intiiate a confrontatation, but, be a "good witness."
    In reality, the situation is complicated, but to be a "good witness" you had better be close enough...

17. Ishkabibble

Back of my house a few years back. Had a guy try to steal my or my kids bikes, which were locked up right outside my bedroom window. First time I warned him. My message was very clear; if I catch you on my land again, you won't be walking out. He returned a couple nights later and was fumbling with the bike locks to try to get them undone (amateur), I used a fire extinguisher on him like a club. Caught him square in the back and he crawled out using his arms and sorta pushing with one leg. I didn't realize he'd be so fragile or I'd not have swung that hard. I was depressed for quite a while afterwards. I'm glad my kids were asleep and did not see.

Even though I was upset when he was crawling out, I told him "it takes one swing to take a man down, two to kill him. Don't make me take the second swing." He did not return.

Several years back, my grandfather had a guy try to steal his motorbike. Good ole' grandpa wired a heavy extension cable direct to his electrical panel, ran the cable to the bike, and fed bare wires to the bottom of the hand grips. He had his perp one week later. Guy crapped and pissed himself right there next to the bike. I have a hunch grandpa bypassed the breakers, but I could never have asked. That too was a bit harsh... lucky the guy didn't die. Strangely, grandpa wasn't the least bit bothered by it... he chuckled some every time he told the tale.

Reminiscing, I'm chuckling now too... like grandfather like son. Apple fell close to the tree.

How very true. I've also been robbed twice when I was absent. It was far harder to deal with on an emotional level. The sense of being violated and powerless is much worse than one might anticipate.

hammerhead and Aurumag like this.
  18. Ebie

Would you not be worried about the response from the police, when you could have remained inside?

19. Ebie

From the internet:
    In the criminal law, the duty to retreat is a specific component which sometimes appears in the defense of self-defense, and which must be addressed if the defendant is to prove that his or her conduct was justified. In those jurisdictions where the requirement exists, the burden of proof is on the defense to show that the defendant was acting reasonably. This is often taken to mean that the defendant had first avoided conflict and secondly, had taken reasonable steps to retreat and so demonstrated an intention not to fight before eventually using force.

20. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Mother Lode

Ebie, we don't call the police in my neck of the woods. That is why the criminals carry cell phones, they call the police if caught.

hammerhead likes this.
  21. Aurumag

Aurumag Post-1792 Coinage E-FRN Wage Slave Midas Member

We'll never know in this case, because I wasn't about to abandon my two toddlers on a street corner in order to give chase.

If the kids had not been an issue, I would very likely have caught up to him on foot...

22. Kkernell

Kkernell Seeker Seeker

The last thing I would ever want to do is shoot or hurt another human being. Period. I have had my home broken into and firearms and other items that my wife and I worked had to obtain. My home was ransacked and disrespected. When I saw what they had done to my home I felt like I had been raped. If a person is bold enough to break into your home, he is probably bold enough to do bodily harm to your family or you. So yes I would want to be there if it happens again for the opportunity to protect what is rightfully mine.

23. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR DANCE YOU SILLY SH!T, DANCE ! Site Supporter Midas Member

Tired & Retired as a CNC machine shop owner
    You are entitled to your method of self defense or lack there of. I personally will choose to be in control of the situation. Anyone well trained & experienced in firearm useage will not injure the occupants of their home. In my case, it's only the wife & I AND you certainly don't want to be in her sights !!!
    The 410's are reloaded with good old fashion BB's !!! The meth heads around here have met me, my wife, the Judge, the jury & the executioner.
    They stay away !!! Now tell me who is nuts !!!!!
    Yes those are custom grips, the original rubber POS allowed the rear of the trigger guard to bite my middle finger - ouch !!

HERE COME DA JUDGE  !!! 024 (Small).jpg

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  24. Ishkabibble

I know a few people who've defended against burglars over the years. In more than one case, the perp 'fell down a flight of stairs.' I remember reading a news story a few years back, about a burglar who climbed a tree to get away, but fell out and got all bruised up. I nearly bust a gut reading it. Remember thinking "oh, so that's what they do when there are no stairs."

The LEO in our area have a good sense of morals and ethics; they don't get in the way of people defending personal property. In fact, there was a comment in the paper about a lot of burglars getting injured and the local chief defended the stories. Something to the effect of "people break in to homes they don't know, walk around in the dark, navigate obstacles they aren't aware of... yes, of course there are a lot of accidents." Good leadership = good LEO. I'm happy with ours.

I'd defend my decision in court if I had to. He was threatening my family's property and invading the home space where my children lived and played. I provided fair warning and he continued to damage us. His actions would have caused my children emotional distress and anguish, so he was causing them harm. In addition, I used an improvised weapon against a man with a roofer's hammer, so he was a physical threat in that sense as well. I didn't want to incapacitate the man; I was just helping him leave with the mindset that he'd best not return. I wouldn't fear defending that position.

Over the years, I've read numerous articles in my area where force was used to apprehend a thief or to prevent attempted theft. It sounds like it's different in my part of Canada than in most other areas. There is a lot of propaganda suggesting people should not protect themselves and their belongings, but it's had little affect in this community.

I think if anyone had to fear the response from LEO, it was probably my grandfather. He could have ended up charged. I can only imagine what would have happened if the guy had died, and I think he nearly did.

Should mention that I'm in Canada. The situation in the US and many of the larger Canadian cities is probably not as positive.

25. BackwardsEngineeer

BackwardsEngineeer Seeker Seeker

K,
    You hit the nail on the head. Anyone who has ever been robbed understands your feelings and comments.

For me, lasut time i got done practicing with my mossberg 590, i remember quietly picturing what double 00 had done to the railroad tie at 10 yards. Needless to say i will defend my family, but then like many will spend a lifetime remembering......

26. RoadKing

RoadKing Seeker Seeker

You would NOT want to be home, if someone broke in, even if your family members were also home? To me, that would be my biggest fear....

I guess I read the poll question differently, so yes, I would want to be home should this very unfortunate scenario ever occur.

RK

27. Unca Walt

Unca Walt Midas Member Midas Member

And YOU are nuts for re-arranging the words to make the whole premise different.

Straw: I will go on record here on my own... NOBODY HERE, Strawboss, "...would want someone to break into their house while they are home."

That was not the question, was it.

So let us take your point and put it up for people to address:

HOW MANY HERE WANT SOMEONE TO BREAK INTO THEIR HOME?

Now... for any who answered in the positive, let us clear up Strawboss' worry:

Of those who would choose/desire to have someone break into their home... how many would also want to BE home at the time?

There. Clearer for ya, Straw?

Oh. BTW: If the situation MUST arise wherein sumbody gonna break into yer Unca's home... Then yer Unca wants to be there.

Yer Unca, Strawboss, is therefore an "Internet Tough Guy" by your dim lights. Right?

You have been warned: Doan doot. It is dangerous.

Signed: Internet Tough [Old] Guy.

just n case, RoadKing, Gcubed and 3 others like this.
  28. <===Foolsgold

<===Foolsgold Gold Member Gold Chaser

SB I hope neither situation arises, however there's no children in my home so I'm comfortable having loaded weapons on hand.

I suspect with all the kids in your house you have no firearms.

29. TnAndy

TnAndy retired guy Midas Member

Signed: Internet Tough Guy

ahahahaaa......Good one, Walt !

We've never been broken into, but I attribute that to location, a gate at the end of my driveway, Dakota Alert devices around the property, NO 'yard' lights ( when it's dark, it's REALLY dark out there ) and a propensity to let fly a whole mag of .223 at times in the middle of the night. ( running deer out of my garden...but it echos all over the valley )

An ounce of preventive measures is worth a pound of cure.

Side story:

Some years back, I took the trash can down to the gate for pickup, and noticed a van backed up to the gate of the property next door ( also mine ). Went back to the house, got the 4 wheeler and arms, and went thru the woods on the backside of the locked gate to see if someone was up at the barn on that property nosing around. Saw no sign of anyone being around the barn ( dew on grass undisturbed ), so I pulled the ATV down near the gate in some brush/trees and checked over the van. Clearly a workman's van, I though maybe they had simply broken down, and coasted into that gate area to park out of the road ( which dead ends at my main gate ). So I looked on the dash thru the windshield, and could see work orders/etc with the name "XXX Electric". Pulled out my cell, called the company, and asked why their van was blocking my gate.

Lady there says "That van was stolen last night out of our lot, along with a bunch of tools and computers....the (town) cops are here now"......So I told then the location of the van, and I'd wait for somebody to come pick it up.

Went and saw back on the ATV out of plain view. Few minutes later, car came around the curve with 4 guys in it....went up to my main gate, turned around, came back down by this gate/van, let a guy out, then the 3 drove off. Guy approaches the van, and I pull down out of the brush. I have an AR-15 in the gun rack on the front of the ATV, and a vest on with a 9mm in the vest holster. Guy goes pale.

I asked "who are you ? "

"I'm Sam Smith, and I work for XXX Electric, and I've come to pick up the van".

Amazing.....4-5 minutes after I call, and they make a 30 minute trip.....yeah......

So I said "Hold on a minute".....and I hit re-dial on the phone. No, they never heard of "Sam", and no they haven't sent anybody out yet.

Meanwhile, "Sam" is doubled over, hyperventilating now. "Man....those guns scare me".....and he keeps backing up...when he gets about 10 feet back down the road, he springs up from his hyperventilating, and hauls ass down the road, hollering over his shoulder "YOU'RE GOING TO JAIL FOR POINT THAT GUN AT ME" ( which had never left the holster...ahahahahaaa....Heck, I wasn't shooting some guy over somebody else's dadgum van )

I hollered back, laughing "HANG ON.....THE COPS WILL BE HERE IN FEW MINUTES AND YOU CAN TELL THEM ALL ABOUT IT !"

Meantime, I dial my neighbor ( who really IS crazy ), and say "Hey....Bill.....there is some guy running down the road that will be passing by you in a minute....see if you can slow him up a little"....and I cranked the ATV, and had to go back thru the woods and come around out my main gate.

By the time I got down to Bill's house ( 1/4 mile down the road ), he was pulling on some pants, throwing a 30-30 in his gun rack, and cranking his ATV, ready to give chase. He asked what was going on, and said he jumped the porch rail in his underwear ( ahahhaaaaaaa....loved to have had a video ), and the guy took off flying on down the road......can you picture this burly redneck in his BVDs with a 30-30 flying over the porch rail after you ? ahahahaaaaaaaa But it's nice to have neighbors that will spring into action with no explanation required.....

So we both fly down the road to the end where it meets a larger county road, and never see the guy. Know he can't have run that far that fast, so we flip around and head back toward the house. Car comes screaming out from behind a neighbors trailer ( electrician the crooks were trying to sell tools to ), swerves to avoid us, but hits me anyway with the side of the car, stripping off some trim of the car, knocking me and my ATV around almost a 180, and FLIES off down the road. Gone before I could even get the AR out of the rack.....and we hear it screaming down the county road thru the valley at a real high rate of speed.

SO....about an hour later, detective from the town cops shows up, eyeballs us and the amount of weapons, and comments "you guys are better armed than us", and proceeds to do the "crime historian" thing.

Week later, the Dick calls....says they got them, local twits, and the one that ran off from me says he burst into the negotiations for hot tools at the electrician neighbors and screams "Bunch of crazy people up here and they're gonna kill us all" and that prompted the high speed bugout.

Heck, we just wanted to have a polite conversation about WHERE you shouldn't park your stolen van.....ahahahaaaaaa

30. hammerhead

Thanks for clueing us in people. Ofcourse we wouldn't want either to happen away or present.

I would think the violation of space would be the worse feeling.

31. hammerhead

PHP:

32. only4teeth

only4teeth New Member

To be 100% honest here, I voted not to be home.

The thing that scares me the most is the legal ramifications of confronting a thief in my home. I am not the kind of guy that wouldn't go downstairs to investigate loud noises, and certainly would not be going unarmed. But in Canada, I had better have a really good reason to retrieve my gun, unlock it, and load it, let alone point in at anyone. Here, I'm more likely to be the one that gets taken away in cuffs.

33. Garyw

Garyw Silver Member Silver Miner

tired and retired
    I was traveling last year left in April was planning to stay out all summer when I was informed my back door was missing at home. I had to come back and replace it. I want to be home next time. It may not be a burgler it may someone to confiscate my guns. My gunsafe will not deter the government like it did the burgler the last time. I will be happy to meet anyone inside of my door or window.

34. Ebie

What is consiidered a "really good reason" to retrieve your gun?

35. Gcubed

Gcubed Banned

An internet tough guy may just do what is necessary to protect his home. An internet wimp posts whining crying threads about disrespectful and uncontrollable children. JMHO.

36. Silver Dragon

Silver Dragon New Member

Making Money
    Like others have said before, I don't ever "want someone to break into my house." That is nuts! However, should it so happen that someone does ...

My wife is disabled, doesn't work, and is almost always at home. To me, not being home when someone were to break into my home means that there is a good possibility that my wife will be alone during this invasion. I would want to be home, because chances are she would be home. In addition to that, should none of us be home during an invasion, my wife would be to terrified to ever be alone in the house again. The emotional trauma for her would be great and I'd never be able to leave for work again without dealing with that trauma. Especially if the violator is not caught and still at large. I would much rather be home, face the treat head on, protect my wife and kids, protect my property, and try to leave them with a piece of mind that this individual or group of individuals will not be returning any time soon.

Ishkabibble likes this.
  37. Ebie

You would probably been OK, but, theoretically, in California, you are supposed to be a good witness, and not initiate a confrontration.

38. Gcubed

Gcubed Banned

Sane people are leaving or have left California. ;)

39. 90%RealMoney

"Unlock it, and Load it"? I thought the term was "Locked and Loaded"?

40. only4teeth

only4teeth New Member

I would pretty much need the guy banging on my bedroom door threatening to kill me.... and he would need to break through. And this of course would be after I called 911.