1. Have a great weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Gold and Silver finish the week down
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 4/29/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1268.30-- DOWN 20.80 Silver $17.19-- down 61 Oil $49.33-- down 0.29 USD $98.89 -- down 0.99

What is the "ultimate retreat vehicle" and why???

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by Barrettone, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Barrettone

Barrettone Seeker Seeker

Operations Manager for a Scrapyard
    I was just reading another post, and someone identified this vehicle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtcd1kSdlQY&feature=player_embedded

It kinda got me to thinking. On this forum, we often talk about "bug out vehicles", but not too much is said about transportation or farming vehicles once you are at your retreat. It will be important to still get around post SHTF, and some may opt for horses, jeeps, ATV's or just a plain 'ol beater car or pick up. The biggest considration is FUEL. Even horses need to be fueled (fed), so one has to decide for themselves what the best option is for their particular situation.

As for me, I personally have 4 of the Polaris Diesel Quads (all under 1000 miles on them)...run great on #2 diesel, and have enough power to pull a house down. Great SHTF vehicle as diesel is stable for longer periods of time if you thought to lay in a couple thousand gallons in your preps. Goes about 150 miles on a 3.7 gallon tank (40mpg) and can haul things. You could also make bio-diesel if you are handy with such things. You can use this ATV for transportation, farming, and best of all, NO GASOLINE REQUIRED!!! Why settle for two wheels, when you can have four. Better for getting around in the snow IMO. Put a set of ATV tracks on them, and you are virtually unstoppable IMO. I like have multiple units as I can cannibalize the broken ones for parts if there are none available after the balloon goes up. Arctic Cat also made a diesel in 2007, but these are the only two I know of ever being made. It took some doing to find the four I have, but I am VERY happy to have them!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QXDmKqq2Do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4osKwTq7mU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJi6ZSN4q64

So how do you plan to get around or farm after you arive at your safe haven??? I look forward to hearing everybody's opinion!!!

Eyebone likes this.
  2. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

Re: What is the "ultimate retreat vehicle" snd why???

Its all different according to where you are and where you want to go.

Canadian-guerilla likes this.
  3. Barrettone

Barrettone Seeker Seeker

I couldn't agree more. I am just curious to see, based on climate, the types of usage, and peoples proximity to areas they need to travel to, what they would select, and why. My retreat is 12 miles from the nearest town, and I would like a way to get around that wouldn't require taking main roads, hence my choice for an ATV that burns diesel. I already use that anyway on the farm, and to me, gas is too unstable over longer periods of time.

YMMV

4. REO 54

REO 54 Midas Member Midas Member

Treasure Searcher and wallew like this.
  5. Ebie

Ebie Midas Member Midas Member

And when, in terms of crisis timeline.
    Before the crisis, any good vehicle will do.
    Be prepared to walk, if needed...

GOLDZILLA likes this.
  6. GOLDZILLA

7. GOLDZILLA

8. GOLDZILLA

9. wallew

wallew Gold Member Gold Chaser

Retired - no job, no money
    As has been said, depends on what you want and how you want to get there.

Roger on it being diesel for so many reasons.

the next question is how LARGE does it need to be?

SMALL? CUCV's

IMG_2338.jpg IMG_2349.jpg IMG_2353.jpg

Medium? Deuce and a half

IMG_2360.jpg

LARGE? 5 ton

IMG_2347.jpg

All of those vehicles are available for purchase on the civilian market - the Suburban is actually a 'clone' style of vehicle because the military never had a CUCV Suburban, though they did have some 'regular Suburbans'. Costs are not an issue, as none of those vehicles cost more than $10k. Most of them are much cheaper.

And any of them can 'go the distance', depending on your needs. And once there could be pressed into service for work around the farm or ranch with no problems. AND YES, they are all diesel.

GOLDZILLA and REO 54 like this.
  10. goldie40

goldie40 Silver Member Silver Miner

What is the "ultimate retreat vehicle" and why???

an Apache helicopter that will run on water. enough said.

11. REO 54

My Duece has a LDS mutifueler engine in it.Can run on WMO or ATF, JP4,kerosene as well as diesel.Or a blend of all that kind of fuel.

12. Solo

Solo Midas Member Midas Member

FWIW, the VW bettle should be considered for such purposes. A properly tuned baja bug with a just slightly larger bore (say 1776 vs 1600) with a few basic VW performance mod's (better cam, dual carb, etc.) will still get great gas mileage and will be very dependable if you put it together yourself (if you know what you're doing) and don't get too crazy with the mod's. A lot of the parts would be cheap enough to justify keeping extras on hand as well. They're lightweight and due to the engine being over the rear axle they don't get stuck easily either.

1970_VW_Baja_Bug_1449_2007_Baja_1000_Race_Car_SOLD_.jpg [​IMG][​IMG]

13. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    My family has made a couple of these for the wealthy for safariing

Multifuel
    on board hydralics
    on board crane
    runflat tires
    on board water purification
    on board satalite communication links
    on board power generation
    go anywhere capable
    rear modules are interchangeable or removed for versitility

just to name a few of the features

only drawback....$$$$

http://jalopnik.com/5097670/unimog+...law-only-two-post+apocalyptic-land-rafts-left

Unimog-Based RV Killed By Emissions Law, Only Two Post-Apocalyptic Land Rafts Left!

The world’s toughest RV, built onto a Unimog U500 chassis by Global Expedition Vehicles, is being discontinued. But, there’s two left, so well-heeled survival enthusiasts had better hurry. We’re just relieved to see we can still get airbrushed graphics on the sides; no RV should be without them.

Both of GXV’s remaining Unimog stock are powered by 6.4 turbo diesels powering all four wheels through a 16-gear transmission. That powerplant give the Unimog legendary go-anywhere ability — it can run on anything from Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel to ditch water — but is ironically responsible for killing US imports. New US emissions regulations require the fitment of both a particulate filter and a catalytic converter. Not only would that cat kill the ‘Mog’s drink anything ability, but would also require the fitment of a five-foot long canister, something there simply isn’t space for. As a result, the official importer, Freightliner, has pulled the Unimog from the US market, killing these RV conversions.

The Unimog makes a particularly capable platform for an RV due not only for its off-road ability, but also its peerless quality and on-road refinement. GXV takes both attributes and accentuates them fitting marine-spec components that will never corrode and triplicate electrics in 12v, 120v and 230v. Combine both with a solar panel-recharged 510 Ah gel battery and you can understand why these vehicles are so popular with the global adventure set: they can rely on them to work in any condition, something that can literally be life saving.

Fans of go-anywhere RVs needn’t despair however, should you fail to grab one of the two remaining vehicles, GXV has plans to base its future range on the Military-spec Western Star 4900 SA, a vehicle that comes in 4x4 or 6x6 versions and can be outfitted with any Military upgrade including snorkels or even Unimog tires (giving it 20-inches of ground clearance. That vehicle comes stock with 450 HP and the ability to haul anything from logs to a battle tank or, in the near future, the baddest extreme survival RV ever made. [GXV via Squob]

917601 and REO 54 like this.
  14. northfarmer

northfarmer Seeker Seeker

First choice-unimog with live front and rear- pto/three point hitches/hydraulics-great thing no matter what

Second choice-john deere side by side-its what the military has,john deere went hard into this area lots of r&d,caught all the off road guys by surprise

third choice-quad,500cc plus,honda,polaris,yamaha

It is hard to explain in words how valuable hydraulics,three point hitches and pto's(power take off shafts) are to people.

Modern farming would not exist without them.

15. 917601

917601 Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

"Retreat" vehicle? I think your mindset is all wrong. My vehicle is not made for retreating. Brother Browning 1919 (yeh, you guessed it, an Israeli Army .308), in the turret says no to retreating, patrolling vehicle more like it. Right now serving in MVP meets, air shows, re enactments, veterans parades, holiday parades, and Neighborhood Watch alerts. Best part, my 5 year old helps to clean Brother Browning and "feed" it. I built and installed the NV system for under $300. The most dangerous part, driving around in pitch black, moonless nights, without running lites on.Anyone care to guess what it is?

Attached Files:

GOLDZILLA likes this.
  16. 917601

Agreed, one of the best " retreat" vehicles available. Last one I drove in a t the MVP meet, won the off road trail ride, it beat out the tracked Bren carrier.If you can find someone willing to sell theirs, they are $17,000 plus.Restored, in the 25K range.

17. 917601

Retreat? Why? We have one hell of a Neighborhood Watch program.

Attached Files:

18. Bx3

Bx3 Silver Member Silver Miner

Are we talking getting too or already at the retreat? Makes a big difference on size/capabilities needed and wanted. For getting too, I would agree with the larger haulers already mentioned here. For already at, many of the mentioned surplus and otherwise high mobility rigs would suffice. I would add that a HMMWV/H1 is just about impossible to beat for four wheeled mobility and there is a reason that the Hilux is the common standard used around the world in the harshest and most austere of environments.

My personal favorites for the already at retreat are these beauties that came through one of our facilities a couple of years ago. They completed me in every way! Bx3

Attached Files:

19. GOLDZILLA

That newer stuff is alright as long as there is no EMP. I prefer the old stuff with no electronics myself.

Treasure Searcher and REO 54 like this.
  20. Sturdly

Sturdly Seeker Seeker

Looks like a modified series II Rover to me.

21. Ebie

Ordinary car, when it runs out of gas, or gets confiscated: Cheap bicycle.
    Keep off main roads.
    Use trails.
    The North Vietnamese kept an army suuplied using bikes, pushing them overloaded on trails.

22. Jimfrancisco

Jimfrancisco Seeker Seeker

Yep - why not trade it for a newer one, the Army have been caring for them for years - grenade skirts, run-flats, open (or closed, BRG) hatch in the roof, when open it's a BRG surround with peepholes for barrels.

463738384_3594eb2237.jpg

For around the BO place Horse and a light trailer, if no armour needed.

Toned-down Army version - 4544282662_5f0834eedb.jpg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  23. ttazzman

ttazzman Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma

fwiw ....the last unimog we builtup ended up costing the owner over 500k ......but it had everything to survive and drive accross the sahara ....seriously expensive but we covered every contigency we could think of and included redundancy where possible

24. Barrettone

Barrettone Seeker Seeker

I don't want this thread derailed, so to clarify, we are talking about once you are at your retreat. We have debated the BOV to death. I want to talk STRICTLY about once you are at your bug out location. I am sure we can all agree that travel will be substantially limited both in miles traveled, and frequency of travel. Runs to the nearest co-op, into town, or using the vehicle to help with your agriculture needs will probably be the order of the day.

Good, stabile fuel will probably be very precious, and not very abundant. Additionally, you will need to probably sacrifice some payload for better mileage, while maintaining versatility to perform multiple functions from retrieving water, to maybe pulling a disc, or just going to get supplies from other farms in your barter/buy/sell network. A lot will depend on what distances you will need to travel, the type of terrain you need to traverse, while still maintaining OPSEC. Lot's of choices here to be made...carry on...

25. Jimfrancisco

Jimfrancisco Seeker Seeker

Apologies, I think I was a large part of the thread derail! My BO place is on an island, so for scrubby/woodland territory it would be a horse or the donkey - 100 acres to get around, until the boar get to eating.
    Off the island, if I have to - a 600hp RIB that'll smoke anything on the lake, and is stored well away from prying eyes - but I can launch it singlehandedly in a second. Runs on Avgas, 100LL, because that stuff with added stabiliser on top does NOT "go off" for years when stored properly. It really drinks fuel, but nobody is going to catch up with it.
    Other than that? Shank's Pony should cover my needs, I have 4 pairs of Rigger Boots there, all nicely worn in. Fleece lined, waterproofed, and I can walk right round the coast of the island without getting my feet wet. around $130 a pair and worth every penny. Then rubber boots and waders, one set, for fishing or when it gets really bad - rare so I cut corners on them and get the cheapest there was - $20 for boots and waders in one. I keep a set at home as well.

26. bb28

bb28 Silver Member Silver Miner

Me too. I'll be driving around in my vintage Mercedes Benz with a vegetable oil conversion. I could care less whether there is fuel at the gas station -- I just need to knock off the backside of a restaurant and get some fuel to reuse.

bb

GOLDZILLA likes this.
  27. Bx3

Bx3 Silver Member Silver Miner

That being said, good strong horses will be hard to beat. Bx3

Ebie likes this.
  28. birddog

birddog Gold Member Gold Chaser

29. Ebie

Or a bicycle--less likely to be stolen.

30. GOLDZILLA

31. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I rode a KLR650 all over Ecuador earlier this year. I went from the city to the freakin' jungle. I would concur that the world would need to be ending for me to get back on one. It's too heavy/underpowered for real off road although many have ridden in Dakar. For me I would go with a dirt bike and a backpack.

When you dump the bike, the KLR's saddlebags trap you under the bike and melt your shoes on the exhaust. Ask me how I know.

32. Rollie Free

Rollie Free Midas Member Midas Member

Wussies.

I'm punching my way out. Walker, Texas Ranger solved all his problems by kicking people in the face. I plan on doing the same.

33. REO 54

Remember he was buried in a Dodge power wagon ram and came blazing out! Awesome...

34. REO 54

It does if you think about it. No doubt its a whole lotta truck, but what would say a used 1 ton diesel truck w/winch and low miles cost? 20- 25k easy?

I understand it doesn't have all the bells and whistles newer civilian trucks have, but that truck will out last you! Plus it has a fold down bed, awesome for loading/unloading. You can also slide in a camper in the bed for BOV.

If I were in the market for one I would go for it. It's being sold by a dealership, you may get a better price in auction from govliquidation or iron planet who's actually running it for the gov.

Again check out www.steelsoldiers.com and learn more the ins and outs buying such rigs.

birddog likes this.
  35. dozer99

dozer99 Gold Member Gold Chaser

Husband/Father
    I live at my BO. It's high desert with mountains so it's weather dependent. I have horses, quads and dirt bikes. Our go to fetch groceries vehicle would be our jeep. It's light, nimble and does not need a road, but our blockade runner would be our 1ton 4x4 diesel. So for me the answer would be what ever worked for that day's errand.

REO 54 likes this.