1. kenyan care remains, no vote. Libtards and msm declare massive victory.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have a great weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 3/25/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1248.50-- UP 18.30 Silver $17.75-- UP 34 Oil $47.97-- DOWN 134 TICS USD $99.42 -- DOWN 66 tics

What to invest in 2017

Discussion in 'Real Estate & Other Investments' started by Alexis John, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Alexis John

Alexis John New Member

Investing in top-quality dividend stocks is what a lot of successful investors do over their lifetimes. This class of investor has just one goal in mind while picking investments: stability in a company’s cash flow generation. Keeping these factors in mind, I’ve put together a basket of long-term dividend stocks for 2017.

These picks are some of the great American companies that are crucial parts of our modern economy. They have a leading position in their markets, with a long and proven track record of rewarding investors with higher dividend payments.

Despite all the good news about the U.S. economy in 2016, from robust job gains to strong consumer spending, the stock market returns have been very disappointing. So far this year, the S&P 500 and Dow Jones Industrial Average are up just above four percent, while the NASDAQ has gained over three percent.

Some of the best dividend paying stocks for 2017 are:
    1. The Coca-Cola Co The Coca-Cola Co (NYSE:KO) owns some of the most popular beverage brands. The biggest proof of its successful business strategy is that the world’s most successful income investor, Warren Buffett, is on board. Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (NYSE:BRK.A) owns more than nine percent of Coca-Cola.
    The company increased its quarterly dividend in February by six percent to $0.35 per share. At today’s price, KO stock has an annual dividend yield of 3.28%. In the past 10 years, the company’s quarterly dividend payment has more than doubled.

2. Microsoft Corporation Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ:MSFT) stock is my favorite pick in the technology space. The reason I prefer MSFT stock over other technology companies is that this stock has great growth potential, with a remarkable dividend-paying history that hardly any technology company can match.
    I believe MSFT stock is one of the best long term dividend stocks for investors in 2017, as Microsoft is revamping its sales strategy to focus on the cloud and a subscription-based revenue model for its “Office” products. On top of dividend payments, Microsoft stock gained over 13% in the past year, beating benchmark indices and many other technology giants.

Source: Best Dividend Paying Stocks

Any views anyone??

OverOver and Ensoniq like this.
  2. goldielox1

goldielox1 Seeker Seeker

Snore. All in on metals.

the_shootist, birddog and Howdy like this.
  3. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Tough to find options right now. I can't help but think we're overdue for a market correction, but then again I've been thinking that for 6 years or so...ever since the Obama "recovery".

Perhaps we are finally seeing the signs of inflation in prices of equities and they won't fall to prior levels?

All I know is if you're looking for where to invest for your retirement, it's tough to find that engine right now...especially in the stock market. If that's where one must go, then I would pick, and am picking, dividend stocks that are relatively recession resistant. If there's a crash then you're still getting your return, regardless of "price".

I like the list with the exception of Microsoft.

4. southfork

southfork Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

I think were in a major bubble and would not touch the markets of paper equities.

ttazzman, birddog, Ebie and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ensoniq

Ensoniq Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Free Marketeer
    It's foolish to invest in individual stocks

The market,under,Trump is going to go nuts if he truly cuts business taxes and repatriates all the overseas cash

Get in before the bubble is created, then out before it bursts

Use an ultra low fee mutual fund and if not using a qualified account, find a low fee low turnover mutual fund.

I think we're in for a few 20% years. It feels like the mid 90s when the Internet stocks started to,take off

Dyodd, this is just my opinion

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Flight2gold and Ebie like this.
  6. pitw

pitw Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Custom pesticide applicator.
    Why wouldn't people invest in themselves? Start or enhance your own business and quit playing with money. Nothing like sleeping the sleep of a hard working person.

7. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Valid points, but for a person that has already invested in themselves and has a lucrative career either as an employee OR self-employed, how do you suggest they save for retirement? I don't know anyone that wants to be working until the day that they die. I certainly don't and believe planning to do so is rather foolish--what will happen if/when you can no longer work? If you haven't planned ahead, all your assets will be confiscated to take care of you and/or you'll be living under a bridge (not to mention the burden on your family).

When I retire, I plan to devote more time to family and church, farm on family land and explore other options for real estate investment. I sleep plenty good today as a hard-working person and plan to do so in "retirement" also. However, I need a vehicle to provide the cash-flow and income to be able to retire my current job and continue paying expenses.

So if not stocks, then what? Certainly not gold/silver. G/S might work as a short-term speculative play, but that's nearly as much of a gamble as stocks. Also, certainly having a percentage in G/S as insurance and preservation of wealth in the event of a collapse is prudent, but I would never consider them an "investment" as they do not pay me any monthly income. I consider an investment things like real estate that can be rented to provide cash-flow, or stocks paying dividends, or bonds paying interest or other similar investments. If you have other ideas, I'm ALL EARS. Thanks.

ttazzman and pitw like this.
  8. Ensoniq

Free Marketeer
    Spend much less than you make and don't borrow

Love what you do

Then it's not a chore to work and some find they prefer to work even when they don't have to

You can get really far ahead following this script

9. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    Oil....

10. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Plastics...George Bailey.

11. davycoppitt

davycoppitt Seeker Seeker

Almost all will completely lose their ass on this investments. I've moved a large portion of my net worth into Canadian marijuana stocks. Not expecting to hold long. Just an opinion but I think they will have an epic rise and fall in 2017. My situation is a little different however. They could fall substantially and I would still come out ok from original investment.

12. pitw

I generally over simplify things as I've found a person usually over thinks most everything but like already stated if you love what you do, getting paid to do it is just a bonus. I know I'd be quite content to die doing my job so I suppose I'm either lucky or was smart enough to quit a lot of jobs I didn't find fulfilling until I got into the spraying gig.
    I spend more time observing nature than many and I have never seen another animal besides humans who think they need to either provide for their young past adulthood or be looked after if comatose. I've told the family if I'm ever debilitated by a stroke or any other such action that they are to just leave me to die or let the medical community play with my body for whatever reason but leave me as if dead cause I'll be dead to them anyway. The wife will be able to live comfortably and can work if she wants. The kids can fend for themselves as I've taught them as much as they need and should be able to spread their wings. I have no idea why so many think that dieing with a massive amount of wealth is a smart idea.

13. platinumdude

platinumdude Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Tesla, put it all in Tesla stock and hope for the best.

14. Flight2gold

Flight2gold Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter ++

pilot
    According to this thread we should all diversify our investments........

20% dividend stocks
    20% gold, silver and mining stocks
    3% Tesla stock
    4% Canadian marijuana stocks
    8% oil stocks, not Exxon/Mobil since they lost a 74 billion $ lawsuit
    6% plastics industry stocks
    3% bitcoin
    I'll add during the Trump administration three primary areas to invest in will be:
    10% Energy
    10% Financial
    8% Industrial
    8% cash.
    I think most people would probably be around 15% to 18% cash/treasuries so realign as needed.

Happy 2017 everyone.

Goldhedge and pitw like this.
  15. Ensoniq

Free Marketeer
    Agree with you about everything except the last line. Wealth is security and flexibility. Don't need to leave it to kids if you don't want. It's not a zero sum gain where one man loses when another man wins

Leaving it to charity is an altruistic alternative

image.jpeg

16. pitw

I of course had to look up the word "altruistic" and that certainly don't fit with my way of thinking.LOL
    I like helping out in my community but most charity's are more intrusive to me than the people I see who beg for money[on my rare trips to a city. To me if you didn't work for it you don't deserve it and certainly won't respect it.

ttazzman, Howdy and Ensoniq like this.
  17. Ensoniq

Free Marketeer
    What about the ones that did work for it but had bad luck

Just an example (not a charity I give to presently). Veterans that get hurt seriously and can't earn up to their capability have their mortgages paid off

http://buildinghomesforheroes.org/about

pitw likes this.
  18. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

I think an additional investment strategy would be to recycle, replace and reinvest in those other precious metals (lead, brass, copper. etc.) used to defend our primary precious metal investments.

With Trump entering the White House I have actually seen ammunition prices dropping by me (a very rare occurrence).

Sell any of your older fodder that may be degrading or was made when manufacturers were punching it out in record numbers and quality control may have taken a back seat. Needless to say, scoop up any deals. Rest assured the political elites will resort to fully unleashing their radical AstroTurf rights outrage groups to wreck all out havoc as they, the elites, slip further into irrelevancy or are the subjects of investigation and prosecution.

Thecrensh likes this.
  19. Thecrensh

Thecrensh Gold Member Gold Chaser

Do you think that the Globalists are really going to let this market rally go forward unimpeded if Trump begins to erode their power and long-term profit? If he truly is the outsider they won't allow his policies to undermine their end goals. I say this because the best way for them to undermine his Presidency is to destroy the economy, and pin the blame on him (and conservatives).

dacrunch and Silvergun like this.
  20. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

That seems to be the prevailing theory. Trump and his gang have already put that out there and therefore already set the public perception that if mysterious market forces appear it must be the dirty hands of the globalist cabal. Trump has already set a lot of traps for his opponents without even stepping foot into the Oval Office. I guess we have to wait and see how this all plays out.

Thecrensh likes this.
  21. Ensoniq

Free Marketeer
    Trump has balls of steel

Would love to see him get on Twitter and shit talk them

If the globalists screw with my economy I'll put the gold standard back in - lol

22. Ebie

Ebie Midas Member Midas Member

Interesting.
    Do you agree?

23. Flight2gold

Flight2gold Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter ++

pilot
    No. Not fully.
    My post was tongue in cheek.
    I do agree in diversification.
    Holding 100% pm's and expecting a full retirement income might be kinda tricky at this stage of the game.
    Until fiat currencies around the world start failing openly or Trump opens up the gold window again will we see the full range of gold and silver.
    For that matter I don't see Bitcoin showing it's full range until that time either.
    Some of the items on my list were purely speculative.
    Note to self - be careful.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Goldhedge and Ensoniq like this.
  24. Fjpod

Fjpod Silver Member Silver Miner

Statistics can be misleading, but most new businesses go under within 18 months. Working a steady job is a good idea. Save money, don't spend it all. Invest it in small real estate or dollar cost average over time in 3 or 4 good stocks. Even if you think the markets are rigged, you will still make money with dollar cost averaging.... over many years. Gold and silver have just not proven themselves to be a way to grow your wealth. PMs may be OK for preserving some of your earnings....again, dollar cost averaging over time.

Starting your own business when you have never worked in that type of business before....probably gonna fail.

Mujahideen and pitw like this.
  25. Alexis John

Alexis John New Member

These are some really good thoughts.
    The below stocks are also good for earning monthly income.
    Shaw Communications Inc.
    Main Street Capital Corp.
    LTC Properties Inc.

Goldhedge likes this.
  26. GwenBuzz

GwenBuzz New Member

I will invest in long term dividend paying stocks

27. 917601

917601 Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg ...I found some cheap USGI .30 M2 AP ($60 a bando) then decided to pull my " records" and crunch the numbers to see if I am rich yet......spam can .30 HXP 5 years ago $98-today getting close to $200. 200 loose can, 5 years ago, $89, today $139, bandoleered AP .50 a round, today bringing $2 a round, orange tip $1.50 a round, silver tip, up to $7 a round....so I took a day to do a full inventory....I think I have enough food to feed a third Garand, which by the way, are now running about $1,000, since CMP's stock is depleted....

stonedywankanobe and Flight2gold like this.
  28. GwenBuzz

GwenBuzz New Member

I found some stocks to buy and hold forever while researching the various dividend stocks that might go up in 2017.
    These include:
    Cummins Inc. : Dividend yield: 3.14%
    Nike Inc : Dividend yield: 1.23%
    Verizon Communications Inc. : Dividend yield: 4.6%

29. louky

louky Silver Member Silver Miner

Invest in Russia, Brazil, profit

I'm long through last year of course

30. louky

Industrial metals over commodities

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Zed and OverOver like this.
  31. louky

If/when we get a general market pull back, US telecoms

OverOver likes this.
  32. louky

2017 will be easy. I think there will be three general market pull backs, 3-5%. No crash. Buy the dip and profit

33. louky

I was bullish oil, expecting 70 by year end, but didnt like the price action after opec "deal". I sold everything for big profits after that monday rip.

Oil won't reach 60 in 2017, my guess. Most of my plays need 65+ before they really take off. So staying away for the most part other than trading

34. louky

Looks like a break out the day after i posted

[​IMG]

LOUKY'D

35. louky

REMX. Rare earth metals

Added here again today

36. louky

SLX - steel. Do it.

Added more here today.

+CLF

37. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    Options play, directionless volatility play, one of the various spread plays.

38. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    Rising cpi + rates over a weaking economy will kill that play. Everyone is reaching for yield, that is never good.

louky likes this.
  39. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    Go for a dividend paying gold miner.

40. louky

DRD. South african so risk factor, but will hit 8-9 by summer most likely. 50 potential long haul.