1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Why Bother Going to a Store

Discussion in 'Others-Electronics, Photography, Gardening?' started by Ensoniq, May 28, 2016.

1. Ensoniq

Ensoniq Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Free Marketeer
    to me anyway, Amazon Prime is a hundred a year well spent.

Their prices, and the ease of buying used make shopping pretty easy. Free shipping just tops it off.

Now they are offering same day shipping - free, at least to my location. Amazing given I'm not in a big city (around 45 minutes from Raleigh. I bought three things today from different vendors and the stock was out of state but on the East Coast.

All three are on track for same day arrival

And no further need to rub elbows with the walmartians and their equivalents..

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    searcher and nickndfl like this.
  2. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I buy all auto parts on line these days, only go to the store for engine oil and anti-freeze. I find better deals on e-bay than Amazon most the time.

gringott and searcher like this.
  3. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

I buy a majority of my needs online including a new gel foam mattress off Amazon. Did not have the opportunity to test drive it first, but went to brick and mortar stores to try something similar.

Got a much better deal, king size 12" mattress with 4" blue gel foam top memory for $435 delivered. Also just bought a nice pillow off ebay.

Have new kitchen furniture all lined up from an online restaurant supply too.

searcher likes this.
  4. Buck

Buck Fabian Society Gold Chaser

Some coupons I use are Store Use Only so, I still go
    Of course, for the things I need right away, I still go

However, the Internet IS convenient if, and I say IF, you have the time and I have found, with plenty of things, I Do Have The Time:2 thumbs up:

5. pitw

pitw Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Custom pesticide applicator.
    Screwing with people in person is way to much fun to give up.

Professur likes this.
  6. Weatherman

Weatherman In GIM since 2006 Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Until a few years ago, Amazon was the best place to shop for anything. Then Amazon raised their prices across the board. Now I buy from Amazon usually only when they put an item I want on sale. Even when an Amazon item is on sale, I compare with Walmart online. Walmart often has lower prices than Amazon's sale items. A link I look at each day for Amazon sales is:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/all-deals/ref=gbps_ftr_s-3_3022_wht_16310101?gb_dst=AVAILABLE,WAITLIST,WAITLISTFULL,SOLDOUT,EXPIRED,UPCOMING&gb_dtp=LIGHTNING_DEAL&gb_exf={"MARKETING_ID":["restrictedcontent","bfexclude","TFSRestricted3P"]}&gb_srt=BY_SCORE&pf_rd_p=2292853022&pf_rd_s=slot-3&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_all&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=06NPQQWF4EMSJVBAMFX6&gb_f_GB-SUPPLE=enforcedCategories:541966%2C228013%2C172282%2C3760901%2C1055398%2C16310091%2C9479199011%2C1064954%2C229534%2C16310101,dealStates:AVAILABLE%2CWAITLIST%2CWAITLISTFULL%2CEXPIRED%2CSOLDOUT%2CUPCOMING,dealTypes:LIGHTNING_DEAL,sortOrder:BY_SCORE
    You can check item types that interest you, or uncheck the ones that don't, on the left side.

The best deals I find on Amazon are a few of their subscribe and save specials. I find out about those specials by looking at Deal News:
    http://dealnews.com/index.html?sort=time&view=large
    Some of the Subscribe & Save special prices are so good that they sell out in less than an hour. To see them in time to buy, I look at Deal News many times each day.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    Ensoniq likes this.
  7. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    Local grocery store is going on line. Buy your groceries, they'll pull them, drive by and they give them to you.

searcher, gringott and Ensoniq like this.
  8. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    I buy a lot online. I check Rock auto for car parts first, then the competition. Amazon is not the great deal across the board like it was years ago. Ebay varies. For used car parts they can't be beat for finding rare parts.

searcher and Ensoniq like this.
  9. bb28

bb28 Silver Member Silver Miner

One trend I've been noticing lately is I have found products I want on Amazon, price checked them on eBay and found they are cheaper. Then when I buy from eBay, the packaging says it came from Amazon.com. Plus, I get eBay bucks on eBay.

bb

10. Ensoniq

Free Marketeer
    Great feedback here - thx

I've downloaded the deal news app that weatherman referenced and will be checking eBay rather than relying on Amazon as first choice

11. Usury

Usury Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Be wary of chinamart website. I used in the past and recently discovered a mysterious charge to my cc I last used there and when logged in discovered somebody had ordered a HDTV to be delivered to a store across the country from me. Hmmmm.....of course they blamed me, but I've never logged in from anywhere but home and never used those same credentials for anything else. After some research, there seems to be rampant ongoing problems with fraud and hacking for their online customers. They refuse to admit there's a problem or do anything about it. Personally I wonder if it's not insiders.

12. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    Something like this happened to me too. I was issued a new credit card by AMEX. Obvious insider job. In my case it was a iPad several states away, in a place I have never been. I discovered it when I was spammed in thousands of linux forums messages [I never joined any linux forum], each time hiding a single email message from Walmart about the fake purchase. It was obvious an insider was behind it, the timing of the spam told the tale. They couldn't stop the message, so they buried it. In this case it was buy online, ship to store for pickup. It happened over a holiday weekend, and there literally was no way to report it to Walmart online in real time until the weekend was over. I even called the store it was "sold" to; the answer was they could do nothing because "that's a different operation" meaning the online ship to store stuff. Lucky, AMEX didn't take the weekend off; they took it serious and were all over it. Hence I won't do business with Walmart online, they don't seem to care about fraud.

My wife was hit last week with a phishing email from Amazon, these people knew her account information to include that she had a specific balance on a gift card there. Still trying to report the fraud attempt to Amazon, can't find an online method to do so.

Ensoniq and searcher like this.
  13. shallow_explorer

shallow_explorer Silver Member Silver Miner

Oil Digger
    Just made my first jet.com order. 25% below Amazon and 30% below my local warehouse store on paper goods and laundry/dish soap. 2 day delivery. No shipping on $35+ orders. Can't imagine they are making any money.

14. JayDubya

JayDubya Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

Great for convenience, however they'll typically deliver the goods that are closest to the expiration date, sometimes just past expiration date. Also, if you use the delivery service you can get some less than desirable looking fruits and vegetables, I like to pick out my own fruits and vegetables.

gringott likes this.
  15. Ensoniq

Free Marketeer
    That was my first thought as well but I'll bet the tip could fix this on future orders

ctrl-z likes this.
  16. bb28

bb28 Silver Member Silver Miner

Another one I was meaning to write up was aliexpress.com. I recently saved about 50% - 60% off Amazon prices on some camping items I bought. There's a bit of a catch -- it's a very free market with not as much buyer protection and it does take like a month or more to get everything in the mail. The other issue is you have to match white label products with what is marketed here and be able to detect frauds. There is also a lot of listings and site noise, but I somewhat enjoyed it. I ended up buying six items. All arrived and all arrived on time in working condition. I would be very restrictive of what I buy on this site, but for how I have used it thus far, it has been a very cheap resource.

bb